• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Companion Pokémon: Downfall?

Kintaro

Banned
Honestly Misty's Poliwag/Whirl/Toed was her only pokemon in the OS that resembled growth of a pokemon similar to pokemon in the other girls teams. Psyduck was great comedy wise but of course it couldn't really grow or be used in proper "real" battles.

They should have had Misty capture Poliwag in Kanto, she doesn't get it till Orange Islands are nearly over.

DatsRight

I can at least give that, unlike with some other companions, Misty being bluff and bluster was at least intentionally part of her character to some degree, it's just that, unlike Ash, she wasn't really made to answer to that problem, at least besides scraps near the end of the series. She had some epiphanies or moments of growth, but they were more as an individual character than a trainer.

Iris at the very least had to sort out the issues with her Pokemon like Ash (besides maybe Axew), so while she was also a hypocrite, she didn't get a double standard over it.

The other girls have gotten personal challenges or shortcomings to overcome (even if experience is something the writers sometimes siddle around for them, especially with battles, usually there's a timed moment they suddenly start winning most of the time instead of any real training or trial and error).

Mallow and Lana are by far the worst however. I mean they're at least not braggarts like Misty and Iris are, but they haven't been given ANY sort of personal challenges or moments they're out of their comfort zone as trainers, they haven't even got a new Pokemon since the series started, something even the likes of Sophocles, Tracy and Brock at his worst have got from time to time. They even skipped over most of their bonding with their signature, and since neither of them have any significant flaws and obedience issues, there's no room for development there either.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Well Lana is the only one of the SM girls who actually feels like a battler, there are merch hints her starter might evolve soon, so. I do hope they do something with her Z crystal and all. Mallow and Lillie aren't much battlers (even though Tsareena is doing more battling oddly enough since evolving), so it's less of a big deal. Although they do have to do something with Lillie by the last year of SM because her lack of real focus through all of 2018 outside that Alola Sandslash ep is kinda ridiculous. I know some hoped she would have had a role in the Ultra Beast arc finale but instead Gladion stole all her spotlight.

DatsRight

Well Lana is the only one of the SM girls who actually feels like a battler, there are merch hints her starter might evolve soon, so. I do hope they do something with her Z crystal and all. Mallow and Lillie aren't much battlers (even though Tsareena is doing more battling oddly enough since evolving), so it's less of a big deal. Although they do have to do something with Lillie by the last year of SM because her lack of real focus through all of 2018 outside that Alola Sandslash ep is kinda ridiculous. I know some hoped she would have had a role in the Ultra Beast arc finale but instead Gladion stole all her spotlight.

The problem is that absolutely none of the girls' battles have developed past utterly one sided beatings. Even Lana's never allowed a proper challenge which promotes her into a proper functional battler, which also makes her Z Ring far less key to her character than the other Z Ring holders.

It's suffering the same problem as in XY in that if the writers keep cushioning the cute widdle girls from ever getting into the thick of things and being an equal target in battles, then of course they'll never be able to battle properly, so there's no point giving them battle agendas otherwise they'll just be boring and plot armoured the whole series (and likely make the boys, who do sell opponents and take beatings, look incompetent, imagine if Lana streamed flawlessly through all the same opponents Ash struggled through, she'd quickly be HATED). The bigger issue is that the writers aren't good at all at putting some other agenda in place of that that they CAN get development and agency from. The showcases in XY were functional as an arc but still blatantly hashed together last minute, while stuff like SM's restaurant and bubble agendas barely get any focus and expansion at all.

Lillie's an odd case in that they keep having odd moments they want her to try out battling, but they keep it dumbed down. I mean what happened to the battle royal she wanted to do? Granted Lillie is at least also the strategist/smart guy of the team, so she has some sort of activity to do to compensate.

pokemon fan 132

@pokemon fan 132 I'm sorry but Dawn had the largest impact on Ash's battle style of any girl (countershield) and if you don't think so that's a joke. We're done here

Key word in here is Ash style. And i never argued that because she did. But on Ash trainer habits, personality directed to how he perceived other trainers and pokemon battling in general in early days Misty there played bigger factor alongside Brock than any other companion.

Influencing someone battle style was Dawn merit, but coach and mentor work Ash received most from his first traveling companions and im not sure what's the issue in here. Each companion helped Ash in some way, including Misty as well as much as some try to deny.

Totodile is considered ash's weakest pokemon because not only it got less battles but the opponents it won were also nothing special. Other pokemon like kingler battles less but defeated strong opponents in the leagues, whereas some like muk and torkoal won less but performed vey well against strong opponents like registeel and gary. Its basic common sense to say that.

I don't consider beating Kingdra or Sneasel caught by Harrison to be "nothing special. Or its contribution to stopping Miltank in rematch with Whitney. Was it among Ash better pokemon? Hardly, it was heavily underused and neglected. But neglected and underused doesn't necessarily mean weakest because Totodile never had chance to be used to full potential and show everything. Simple as that.

As for rest:
Word of advice, if you wanna get taken seriously avoid resorting to ad hominem attacks and debate subject instead.

Its not about who had more impact on someone battling style, but who had more impact on Ash training habits, knowledge about pokemon stacks and match ups. Its about preparing Ash for outside world, to make him be more humble stopping to underestimate others. To face error of his own mistakes, understand better his pokemon needs and issues. And in that department Misty without any doubt impacted Ash HUGELY. She was one calling out Ash on mistakes, who regularly motivated him and instructed to take responsibility for his actions, to train pokemon, to not make fool of himself in front of others. Who actually taught him about pokemon basics, attacks and type advantages, disadvantages. Who supported him as coach and mentors do when players lose match instructing him how to get up on his feat and try harder, being voice of reason driving force which didn't let him get lazy and stop working hard.

Dawn contests moves served as inspiration for Ash to create new combination of attacks but that's not comparable to amount of character growth and knowledge Ash gain from learning on his mistakes thanks to Misty and Brock guidance. Its not even debatable.

Ash and Misty did interacted in Hoenn, maybe not extensively but competitive flare, sarcastic jabs, care they shared for each other as friends definitely was present and showed there.

In terms of shipping, its irrelevant what is writers stance on once started subplot of case of young love happening from Misty side toward Ash. You argued there wasn't present any signs of that still existing in Johto and i debunked that with examples which revealed otherwise. Shipping was toned down ill give you that, but signs still popped up sometime due to writers presumably still not being sire back than what will be future of Misty character.

Whether TR battles or relevant or not they are still battles, so to try to deny that Misty battled more than some of girls just because she participated in battles which didn't fit people taste us fallacy in itself.I never argued Misty goal of water pokemon master was handled wise than it was case with most of future girls.

But in terms of characterization, personality growth, build up on relationship with friends and other people. In facing her own mistakes growing in better person. Aside from May, Misty was character who compared to Dawn, Serena, Iris etc changed much more becoming well rounded character with lot of underlying depth present inside. Once you dive in her past, preferences, why her actins often clashed with inner inner thoughts etc. Being complex character.

In regards of pokemon team in fields of characterization there wasn't done nearly enough, however in terms of pokemon captures sticking consistently to her niche and dreams. In terms of battles , comedy and entertainment value or reliable strong individuals you can rely on i still consider likes of Psyduck, Staryu, Politoad or Gyarados to deliver more fore me than any of Iris or Serena pokemon.And as overall more interesting.

For simple fact of Misty due to larger pokemon team having more diversity and wider pool of options to choose from, growing ALOT as pokemon trainer not being bothered that many of her pokemon weren't fleshed out enough. Because they contain future potential and are god investment in Misty water trainer career at end of the day having fairly interesting collection of water types with each having their unique abilities.

Speaking of inferiority complex whether you liked development coming out of it or not, at end of the day that complex played huge role in Misty journey and character development growing as stronger and more assured in herself person. Also thanks to that complex, Misty also became better person because she realized how with abrasive nature she wont get very far becoming mire humble herself as well, and started to trust and open up to others more herself(like it was case with Ash and Brock)showing vulnerability and realizing she don't have to keep her guard on anymore. Which was nothing but byproduct of belittling, underestimation and lack of support coming from her own family. So yes that part of Misty story cannot be ignored.

Likewise no one is denying Misty wasn't handled good in Johto(just like Ash, Brock most of things wasn't), but instead of generalizing things so much measure Misty activity, achievements and development she and her pokemon were receiving through seasons. Because ill repeat again Misty was handled perfectly fine in Master Quest, last Johto season. So statement of Misty being handled bad in "whole Johto" simply is not true. Maybe development came late with writers putting Misty on last train to get right back on right path, but it still happened.

It was obvious how Serena sudden change of heart wanting to do contests was nothing but rushed excuse from writer side to find quick fix, easy was to get rid of her from main cast. With no build up or signs leading toward that or confirmation that Serena indeed is planning to resume her performer career afterwards, That was for me poor writing and degradation to whole hard work and journey Serena faced in her self searching. Serena as far as im concerned in lot of fields suffered from wasted potential which is shame because she had interesting traits and starting point(referring to not knowing what she wants to do, I could care less about shipping which did nothing for her story) which just weren't used well enough. Just like her pokemon team with only Braixen being what i consider well developed pokemon.

As for rivals how much they are important to someone growth depends on how is story and situation constructed around hero or heroine whose journey were following and what kind of goal is in question.

Permanent consistent rivals weren't present in Misty case but on individual cases she faced several of them such as Marina, Andreas, Egan, Sakura etc. But that's beside the point because as one other member already pointed out in this thread before and im on same page as he is. For good sand substantial character development feeling like character and his story went somewhere. Rivals which helpful are not mandatory and necessity to achieve that.

And that would be incorrect, Misty solving riddles opened passage for Ash to even earn right to battle Blaine, her motivational speech caused Squirtle learning new attack in middle of match vs Rudy. Her advices and criticism influenced Ash in picking pokemon for some gyms or even league. So to say she had no role in Ash battles would be incorrect.

Lastly 5 or 6 incidents your talking about were examples. I could list much more but would it make aby difference? Those examples served purpose of backing up what i said of Misty despite not receiving huge arcs ion regular basis to herself like Dawn for example did still managed to be active, influence other characters, push adventure and plot forward while receiving development herself in conjunction with others. With her strong personality, adventurous spirit, reliable and unique pokemon in their own right enriching on OS journey making groundwork for future girls to come. Not being unimportant background as some tend to believe.

You can keep disparaging Croatia success in worlds as much as you want, but many do not share your opinion taking this nation football success as example of how to place yourself in front of others and how if desire and team spirit is strong enough everything is possible. Underestimating how many of Croatia football players play in big Europe clubs, how despite small population they still can go head to head with best representations beating them(in rematch vs Spain Croatia won proving how that first loss meant nothing with its players not being in top shape as well new ones still adjusting and finding what's best position to be used in).

Call it luck all you want, but beating one Argentina, England, go two times in extra time maintaining composure and strength to overcome penalties and reach final, was sign of strong football team which played as one and get rewarded as result.

In end we are indeed going in circles so consider this to be final post from me, unless my opinions get attacked again.

The main reason TR battles are often undermined is because they don't even remotely test the heroes or even force some real display of competence. They call a couple generic attacks and usually that's enough to beat them. Ironically most of the odd times TR actually resist and offer a good fight, the twerps rarely overcome it, it's just to signal a stronger character coming in to save the day, or one of the Pokemon getting pressured enough to get a power boost. Serena and Mallow have utterly trashed TR but fans still don't consider it much of an impression on their battle skills because any battler could trash an opponent that doesn't really fight back. It's the 'straw loser' effect, making a character look less unremarkable by pitting them against someone even worse, and the anime tends to rely on this A LOT, besides as basic padding of course.

Problem with TR is that when we peel of their exterior they're not really terrible. How many times did we saw when James or Jessie were allowed to shine not being curb stomped by Ash and co to be actually promising for change. One of earliest examples was shown when Jessie entered Princess tournament going all the way to finals without cheating. In battle park when James battled Ash with Venusaur he was actually pretty decent(its important to know how it doesnt matter that James controlled strong pokemon with win being still his merit , because Jessie with Charizard proved best how having powerful pokemon means nothing if you make bad choices in battle not knowing how to canalize pokemon strength efficiently). Or when James thought he was flaming Moltress rocking with Victreebel for change?

When James battled Dawn winning ribbon for Jessie with Carnivine once again revealed to not be that bad at all. Same goes for Jessie contest journey in Sinnoh sometime when not cheating with her Seviper or Yanmega coming of in light of someone who can be good when tries to(one of better examples happened when battling Kenny winning her first contest ribbon).

Crux of the issue in here is that majority of times Jessie and James face Ash and his friends as ever so permanent antagonists of pokemon storyline. And since good has to prevail they are destined to always lose and look bad in process. But in vacuum when analyzing their honest fair battles, they do not come of as nearly as bad in retrospective. And that's why we cannot discard their battles honestly. Because ungrateful position they're put in for plot purposes does not necessarily show their true strength being often restricted and isolated on purpose. Even when winning just so that Ash could save the day.

That's why i dont exclude TR battles with there existing diapason of fairly interesting ones even in OS when Misty, Brock or Ash faced them and what if scenarios. if things didn't went for protagonists as convenient sometime as they did, same applies to times May, Dawn etc faced them.

I think the only reason people thought Misty was a competent battler is because people kept comparing her to early Kanto Ash, and Misty came across as having slightly more experience. But Misty was clearly a beginning trainer, she didn't have a backstory like Iris did where Iris won 100 battles before even traveling with Ash. And then when Ash pretty much beat her as early as the 7th episode, (and this is without using Pikachu and before he got the Kanto starters even), it made it obvious.

Also I honestly wonder if Starmie was even Misty's pokemon. Staryu seems to be her starter and she likely caught Goldeen not to long after, but it seemed like her Starmie was just kinda...there? Like she had no attachment to it like her Staryu, I honestly wonder if it was from her sisters or something.

Misty already had 3 pokemon by time she met Ash and was considered as one of gym leaders despite being degraded in her competence by sisters. She also knew about pokemon basics, attacks and type advantages unlike Ash. That's why people formed picture of her being somewhat competent at that time. Beside some of her battles even as early as Kanto displayed that she knows how to battle and be tactical like princess festival or using water to her advantage in defeating Butterfree.

Im not sure what your getting at. Misty clearly showed worry and to care a lot about her Starmie during several times, like when it was running out if energy in Cerulean gym, when Giselle Graveler crushed its core. Or when she was asked to leave it to her sisters in Mermaid episode. Misty was hesitant about this not being happy about leaving Starmie at gym, and finally when she reunited with it in chronicles. Both Starmie and Misty showed joy to see each other again.
There's no reason to believe it wasn't Misty pokemon.

Likewise did people forget how whether Ash was about to finish Starmie or not in Cerulean gym doesn't mean he was winner. Misty defeated already Ash Butterfree with Staryu(it was clearly stated in canon how result would be 1-1 if battle wasn't interrupted), so even if Pidgeotto defeated Starmie, result would be tied.
With Misty still having Staryu st her disposal to call vs Pidgeotto.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I don't consider beating Kingdra or Sneasel caught by Harrison to be "nothing special. Or its contribution to stopping Miltank in rematch with Whitney. Was it among Ash better pokemon? Hardly, it was heavily underused and neglected. But neglected and underused doesn't necessarily mean weakest because Totodile never had chance to be used to full potential and show everything. Simple as that.

As for rest:
Word of advice, if you wanna get taken seriously avoid resorting to ad hominem attacks and debate subject instead.

Its not about who had more impact on someone battling style, but who had more impact on Ash training habits, knowledge about pokemon stacks and match ups. Its about preparing Ash for outside world, to make him be more humble stopping to underestimate others. To face error of his own mistakes, understand better his pokemon needs and issues. And in that department Misty without any doubt impacted Ash HUGELY. She was one calling out Ash on mistakes, who regularly motivated him and instructed to take responsibility for his actions, to train pokemon, to not make fool of himself in front of others. Who actually taught him about pokemon basics, attacks and type advantages, disadvantages. Who supported him as coach and mentors do when players lose match instructing him how to get up on his feat and try harder, being voice of reason driving force which didn't let him get lazy and stop working hard.

Dawn contests moves served as inspiration for Ash to create new combination of attacks but that's not comparable to amount of character growth and knowledge Ash gain from learning on his mistakes thanks to Misty and Brock guidance. Its not even debatable.

Ash and Misty did interacted in Hoenn, maybe not extensively but competitive flare, sarcastic jabs, care they shared for each other as friends definitely was present and showed there.

In terms of shipping, its irrelevant what is writers stance on once started subplot of case of young love happening from Misty side toward Ash. You argued there wasn't present any signs of that still existing in Johto and i debunked that with examples which revealed otherwise. Shipping was toned down ill give you that, but signs still popped up sometime due to writers presumably still not being sire back than what will be future of Misty character.

Whether TR battles or relevant or not they are still battles, so to try to deny that Misty battled more than some of girls just because she participated in battles which didn't fit people taste us fallacy in itself.I never argued Misty goal of water pokemon master was handled wise than it was case with most of future girls.

But in terms of characterization, personality growth, build up on relationship with friends and other people. In facing her own mistakes growing in better person. Aside from May, Misty was character who compared to Dawn, Serena, Iris etc changed much more becoming well rounded character with lot of underlying depth present inside. Once you dive in her past, preferences, why her actins often clashed with inner inner thoughts etc. Being complex character.

In regards of pokemon team in fields of characterization there wasn't done nearly enough, however in terms of pokemon captures sticking consistently to her niche and dreams. In terms of battles , comedy and entertainment value or reliable strong individuals you can rely on i still consider likes of Psyduck, Staryu, Politoad or Gyarados to deliver more fore me than any of Iris or Serena pokemon.And as overall more interesting.

For simple fact of Misty due to larger pokemon team having more diversity and wider pool of options to choose from, growing ALOT as pokemon trainer not being bothered that many of her pokemon weren't fleshed out enough. Because they contain future potential and are god investment in Misty water trainer career at end of the day having fairly interesting collection of water types with each having their unique abilities.

Speaking of inferiority complex whether you liked development coming out of it or not, at end of the day that complex played huge role in Misty journey and character development growing as stronger and more assured in herself person. Also thanks to that complex, Misty also became better person because she realized how with abrasive nature she wont get very far becoming mire humble herself as well, and started to trust and open up to others more herself(like it was case with Ash and Brock)showing vulnerability and realizing she don't have to keep her guard on anymore. Which was nothing but byproduct of belittling, underestimation and lack of support coming from her own family. So yes that part of Misty story cannot be ignored.

Likewise no one is denying Misty wasn't handled good in Johto(just like Ash, Brock most of things wasn't), but instead of generalizing things so much measure Misty activity, achievements and development she and her pokemon were receiving through seasons. Because ill repeat again Misty was handled perfectly fine in Master Quest, last Johto season. So statement of Misty being handled bad in "whole Johto" simply is not true. Maybe development came late with writers putting Misty on last train to get right back on right path, but it still happened.

It was obvious how Serena sudden change of heart wanting to do contests was nothing but rushed excuse from writer side to find quick fix, easy was to get rid of her from main cast. With no build up or signs leading toward that or confirmation that Serena indeed is planning to resume her performer career afterwards, That was for me poor writing and degradation to whole hard work and journey Serena faced in her self searching. Serena as far as im concerned in lot of fields suffered from wasted potential which is shame because she had interesting traits and starting point(referring to not knowing what she wants to do, I could care less about shipping which did nothing for her story) which just weren't used well enough. Just like her pokemon team with only Braixen being what i consider well developed pokemon.

As for rivals how much they are important to someone growth depends on how is story and situation constructed around hero or heroine whose journey were following and what kind of goal is in question.

Permanent consistent rivals weren't present in Misty case but on individual cases she faced several of them such as Marina, Andreas, Egan, Sakura etc. But that's beside the point because as one other member already pointed out in this thread before and im on same page as he is. For good sand substantial character development feeling like character and his story went somewhere. Rivals which helpful are not mandatory and necessity to achieve that.

And that would be incorrect, Misty solving riddles opened passage for Ash to even earn right to battle Blaine, her motivational speech caused Squirtle learning new attack in middle of match vs Rudy. Her advices and criticism influenced Ash in picking pokemon for some gyms or even league. So to say she had no role in Ash battles would be incorrect.

Lastly 5 or 6 incidents your talking about were examples. I could list much more but would it make aby difference? Those examples served purpose of backing up what i said of Misty despite not receiving huge arcs ion regular basis to herself like Dawn for example did still managed to be active, influence other characters, push adventure and plot forward while receiving development herself in conjunction with others. With her strong personality, adventurous spirit, reliable and unique pokemon in their own right enriching on OS journey making groundwork for future girls to come. Not being unimportant background as some tend to believe.

You can keep disparaging Croatia success in worlds as much as you want, but many do not share your opinion taking this nation football success as example of how to place yourself in front of others and how if desire and team spirit is strong enough everything is possible. Underestimating how many of Croatia football players play in big Europe clubs, how despite small population they still can go head to head with best representations beating them(in rematch vs Spain Croatia won proving how that first loss meant nothing with its players not being in top shape as well new ones still adjusting and finding what's best position to be used in).

Call it luck all you want, but beating one Argentina, England, go two times in extra time maintaining composure and strength to overcome penalties and reach final, was sign of strong football team which played as one and get rewarded as result.

In end we are indeed going in circles so consider this to be final post from me, unless my opinions get attacked again.

You are just repeating your same lame points again and again, misty was just lucky to be on journey with ash when he was a rookie, so she did use to advice him because ash didn't use t train seriously and just enjoy goofing off, she didn't teach him anything about the pokemon basics he learned them on his own after losing countless number of times in OS particularly kanto. He was responsible for his own growth.

Misty didn't help anywhere in ash's knowledge of pokemon in fact ash did man things in battles opposite of what she said.

In hoenn misty did interacted little with ash in comparison to tracey and max, the whole BF episode was about max and her interactions, same way in alola misty's most interactions was with lana, her and ash only major interaction when they were battling.

They may try to do a shipping subplot in OI, but it was given a slow death in johto until she was friendzoned in her farewell episode, and now in alola cameo there weren't any indications, even in misty's bio there isn't any mention of misty's crush and nor has main anime team given any indication of that, shudo even downright refused it saying they were just good friends, even in her new cameo there won't be any major hint i can bet you on that.

How is misty's team most well round when most of her pokemon lacked personality in the first place, in fact her pokemon team will go down as lamest and most underdeveloped pokemon any girl has ever gotten. Same way her character development has taken place from her inferiority with her sisters were also lame, when compared to other girls who had basic struggle in there life and got over as much better person. How can you even compare with dawn and serena who received far more focus on them and had there own goal arcs which keep them relevant unlike misty and through it they received not only goal progression but also grew in there personality and characters. Dawn in paricular is considered the best written character in the show after ash just shows comparing her with misty makes you delusional.

Ash and dawn had by far the best chemistry among all the pokegirls that have come along, it is also most of the people also admit other than the idiotic genwunners like you.

Yeah she cheered ash in one gym battle with rudy but she never adviced ash to pick the pokemon before his gym and league matches many times ash picked his pokemon which was opposite to what misty said to him, dawn's spinning technique was inspirational in ash winning his first badge, not only that it was her ambipom who inspired ash to come up with counter shield not only that she dressed up as a cheerleader in 3 of ash's gym battle. Now to serena she motivated ash to win his first badge vs viola, something even ash acknowledged and invited him join him unlike misty who just followed him due to her bike, then in 3rd badge she tell him to just focus o his battling style instead of forcing with tierno's one adn in the last gym battle when ash was depressed with greninja, she was the one who helped ash out of his depression something ash again acknowledged her for, so she aslo played huge role in 3 out f 8 kalos gym badges. So, both dawn and serena had more role than misty in his gym quest. You should watch DP and XY series they are much better written series than OS with much better characters.

Misty's major focus in master quest was in 3 parter whirl cup tournament other than that all her focus was in filler episodes which are rather forgettable and even the so called character devlopemtn you are bragging about are minor then, compare that to other pokegirls who got much non filler episodes focus on them which are important to the plot as well that chracters growth both as a trainer as well as in goal. Some of dawn, may, serena and lillie focussed episodes are considered some of the best episodes of that series, give me one episode which ws focussed on misty that could be considered the best in OS or have much impact, in fact the most impactfull misty focussed episode is the one in which she had left the group for the final time, that just shows the advantage of having a character oriented arc which helps the character just like other pokegirls. It also shows how much irrelevant she was whether you like it or not, she didn't bring anything to the plotand this is what shudo also explained irrespective of his clashes with other writers.Also having a rival is always helpfull just like in case of gary, paul, georgia, drew and zoey, misty never had any rival an the characters you mentioned were COTD's except sakura who was more of a rookie trainer than a rival.Like georgia who pattled iris frequently and even played a role in her excadrill making amends with iris, same way her ice type pokemon played a huge foil for iris who had both the fear of ice types as well as being her biggest weakness that lead to her trining more and becoming strong. You can whine all you want but it is still a fact that misty was background character in the johto series who did nothing in any major arcs like league, gym quest, both TR arcs.

Serena's change of goal was indeed an excuse for her departure but still it was considered her training to become even better performer which was even mentioned it was the same case with misty as well who was just given the gym leader post wthout any major accomplishments was also an excuse to write her off. Also her character was driven as a girl who just ran off from her home to avoid rhyhorn racing, then she came across the life where she had to had her own dram and got an entire pokemon camp arc to inspire her to have her own dream. Of course she had a lot more potential, but then she stayed in the series for about 140 episodes and still had an active goal that made her relevant besides playing a part in team flare plan with maron and prof sycamore also playing a part in 3 ash's kalos gym badge she was far more relvant tha misty was in johto series, not to mention her skiddo racing episode and her showcase debut in which she had a haircut are still considered some of the best and impactfull episodes which are focussed on any pokegril, its safe to say serena had far more impact on the plot as well as more character development and goal progression in around half episodes than what misty got in 280 episodes. As for shipping subplot it is still most canon and possible of ash shippings which is even confirmed by the anime staff (RIP pokeshippers), lol you are an idiot if you think it didn't affect her story, her main motto was not giving up which she learned from ash not to mention the inspiration ash gave her when she asked him about not having a dream and then she implemented in her performances, pep talk ash gave to her when she was having difficulty to make decisions to what to do. As for her pokemon not just braixen even her sylveon as an eevee got major focus and character devlopment than any of misty's pokemon ever got, same with pancham who may have gotten less than other two but still had to integrate with serena's team due to his tomboyish personality. Each of serena's pokemon had there own traits.

Yeah they beat the weakes england and argentina team in decades but still both the teams were dominating croatia in first half and could have won it then had they finished there chances. In match with argentina croatia got help with refree who should have red carded one croatian player in first half. Croatia was still relegated from the natins league and england dominated them in both legs. Yeah some players play for big clubs but how much are there worth rakitic is said to be a fringe player in barcelona with messi, suarez, busquets and formely neymar, iniesta and xavi being more valuable. Modric has been struggling in madrid ever since ronaldo has left madrid (some people has galls of asking him to be given ballon d'or) same way manduikic was kicked ut of bayern team in favour of lewandowski smply because he was better striker. One lucky world cup final is not making croatia a big footballing nation, nations like germany and netherlands are struggling now too but they are still conisdered major nations because its there history to become world class after struggling for some time. Also having small population is BS, uruguay and datch also have small population but still have given world class teams throughotu there history who had made it to multiple world cup finals and semis with same population. We will just have to see when will croatia make it to big time next.

You have a comprehension problem, i never said that ash's totodile is weak i said that in comparison to ash's other pokemon it is definitely among his weakest pokemon ever. Despite that i think it can still beat most of the companions pokemon as it still has sme good wins. Besides, since when having fully evolved pokemon means it is a powerhouse, that kingdra didn't have any major fetas to show that it was a powerhouse, as for that sneasel it was recently caught by harrison and wasn't trained properly and it still defeated totodile in earleir episode quite easily. Totodile is underused pokemon but still has less feats as compared t rest of ash's pokemon.

p96822

Evolve me please
@pokemon fan 132
You are wrong about Serena having a change of heart of committing in Pokemon Contest. It was advice that Palermo gave to Serena when she rejected her offer to train her to become a better performer. It not really a change of heart on Serena part it more of a change to expand on her performances. Also this offer that Palermo made was given in a previous episode that Serena also rejected so she can travel with Ash and the others.

As for the thing you mention about Misty's Pokemon and saying that there better then Iris and Serena's Pokemon. I have to disagree with you because Iris and Serena's Pokemon get to interacted with others and sometimes put in more battles or situation compared to Misty's Pokemon. I would say that Serena has the strongest team in the Pokemon series, but I do feel Serena's interaction with her Pokemon are far more interesting then Misty and her Pokemon. But that just personal opinion and you can say that Misty has a better interaction with her Pokemon.

Serena the same thing for Ash during his gym battle with Korrina and I think that was better because of how Ash was battling at the time. It not because of Serena yelled at Ash, it was because Ash though about it and decided to fight with his own rhythm.

DatsRight

Problem with TR is that when we peel of their exterior they're not really terrible. How many times did we saw when James or Jessie were allowed to shine not being curb stomped by Ash and co to be actually promising for change. One of earliest examples was shown when Jessie entered Princess tournament going all the way to finals without cheating. In battle park when James battled Ash with Venusaur he was actually pretty decent(its important to know how it doesnt matter that James controlled strong pokemon with win being still his merit , because Jessie with Charizard proved best how having powerful pokemon means nothing if you make bad choices in battle not knowing how to canalize pokemon strength efficiently). Or when James thought he was flaming Moltress rocking with Victreebel for change?

When James battled Dawn winning ribbon for Jessie with Carnivine once again revealed to not be that bad at all. Same goes for Jessie contest journey in Sinnoh sometime when not cheating with her Seviper or Yanmega coming of in light of someone who can be good when tries to(one of better examples happened when battling Kenny winning her first contest ribbon).

Crux of the issue in here is that majority of times Jessie and James face Ash and his friends as ever so permanent antagonists of pokemon storyline. And since good has to prevail they are destined to always lose and look bad in process. But in vacuum when analyzing their honest fair battles, they do not come of as nearly as bad in retrospective. And that's why we cannot discard their battles honestly. Because ungrateful position they're put in for plot purposes does not necessarily show their true strength being often restricted and isolated on purpose. Even when winning just so that Ash could save the day.

That's why i dont exclude TR battles with there existing diapason of fairly interesting ones even in OS when Misty, Brock or Ash faced them and what if scenarios. if things didn't went for protagonists as convenient sometime as they did, same applies to times May, Dawn etc faced them.

I think the problem is that there's only really a small handful of such cases where TR are competent in a way they are effective antagonists for the twerps. Most of the time TR actually have imposing battle skills it's either outside their rivalry with the twerps (eg. enemy mines against other bad guys) or merely as a plot device or padding, usually to serve to the twerps getting a power boost or a new character being introduced, THEN things will go right back to an easy curb stomp. (eg. Pikachu and Mimikyu's big battle was largely just to build up to Pikachu learning Electro Web than to test Ash and Pikachu, he spent most of the battle helpless against Mimikyu, then after learning the move, Mimikyu had 'served it's purpose' and was defeated the same effortless way in two seconds).

Even in the Princess festival example, Jessie got stomped by Pikachu until she used Likitung, at which point she just fell into the usual rut against Psyduck. At no point was Jessie challenging Misty or forcing her to change her game. Dawn's contests are fair game, though even then I remember Jessie going back to getting stomped by Dawn after she had developed her second wind, with no point they both put up an enduring fight. Of course this also within a bastion of standard DP episodes where Jessie was destroyed very easily as a villain.

BW was about the only time they were putting up good fights as villains and the twerps regularly had to just fight them off on their own with even better counter strategies, making them a meaningful antagonist (and even then there were plenty of exceptions where a DEM or plot armour was involved). XY kept them semi-competent for a while, but most of the time the twerps still won easily because of plot armour rather than their own competence, so after a while they just skipped the formalities and made them punching bags again. To elaborate, the first time MEOWTH countered an attack from Serena they immediately resorted to another character saving her than her having to improvise slightly. SM is even worse given, despite resources like Mimikyu and the Z Ring being built up as good trump cards, not even non-battlers like Mallow have remotely been challenged against them, always having the same effortless one sided beatings as everyone else beforehand. Sure they beat Ash once, but he was saved by dumb luck through Bewear, and after that they went back to being ineffectual. That was not a challenge that influenced Ash in any way. It's not enough saying they're formidable, they have to utilise that in their rivalry and how much it influences the heroes' strategy, which is hardly ever.

This is my general issue with villain fights in the anime, since they rarely enforce much competence out of the heroes, valour and altruism sure, but rarely competence, they save the impressive counter strategies and well choreographed battles for the official battles and rivals, while with the villains they can never resist using the loophole they don't have to play by the rules, so no matter how competent the villain is, it's rarely a case of the villain putting up a great fight, but the heroes putting up an even better one. Obviously this means the protagonists that are limited to just villain fights most of the time rarely grow in terms of skill.

It's especially bad when villains like Team Rocket keep interrupting official battles, seemingly because the writers can't even think up a good deciding strategy for the twerps for THOSE ones.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I honestly wonder if it was from her sisters or something.

yeah like how Alain got 4 Pokémon from Team Flare.

They should have had Misty capture Poliwag in Kanto, she doesn't get it till Orange Islands are nearly over.

They always save Pokémon to get focus episodes or even debuts until near the end of each generation, for example Togetic didn't appear until GEN III, Blaziken debuted before Typhlosion, Togekiss, the fact that Tropius didn't even appear until the Hoenn League, the fact that Alomomola wasn't even mentioned by name or dexed by Ash until Episode N, etc..

Furthermore, in the case of Poliwag it could have been like Ash's Aipom where the writers decided to give her that Pokémon after finding out it was getting a new evolution in the next generation.

im not sure what's the issue in here.

The issue is that you said "When did we ever see Dawn helping Ash like this?" and then I gave a perfectly clear example only for you to backtrack and pretend you never said that Dawn never helped Ash, and now twisting your words to pretend you always said Dawn helped Ash, and just that Misty helped him more, which is not what you said at all.

DatsRight

I think a pro for some of the later girls is that they could empathise with Ash a lot more than Misty, who supplied only in 'tough love'. Yeah sometimes Ash needed his ego taken down a peg, but there were time just telling him he sucked and needed to man up were just exacerbating his attitude, or even worse, wrongly pinning the blame on him. Yeah, Ash was arrogant, but he was a rookie, and in fairness many times, things were working against him. Also it sometimes felt like Misty was more in it to vent her own frustrations about being the picked on runt, hell a ton of Kanto civilians seemed to just be frustrated insecure egotists who vented a 'life isn't fair, deal with it' approach, which is a toxic influence. There's a reason Kanto is considered way more cynical and mean spirited than the rest of the show following it. A lot of episodes are just the whole cast never cutting each other any slack.

Even the recent episode, despite its absurd breach of character on Ash's part, I appreciated Lillie's bond with him over it, she listened to his side of the story and empathised with her own situations and that made things run much smoother than just yelling at him. Which is kinda fair since I don't think Ash has ever so much as raised his voice at Lillie during her own tenure as a rookie, not even in cases she's nearly got them killed.

May and Dawn were probably the healthiest balance, since they shown sympathy towards Ash while still having a spunk against his more abrasive moments (while at the same time being reasonably flawed themselves so Ash got fair time as a positive character).

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

The main reason TR battles are often undermined is because they don't even remotely test the heroes or even force some real display of competence. They call a couple generic attacks and usually that's enough to beat them. Ironically most of the odd times TR actually resist and offer a good fight, the twerps rarely overcome it, it's just to signal a stronger character coming in to save the day, or one of the Pokemon getting pressured enough to get a power boost. Serena and Mallow have utterly trashed TR but fans still don't consider it much of an impression on their battle skills because any battler could trash an opponent that doesn't really fight back. It's the 'straw loser' effect, making a character look less unremarkable by pitting them against someone even worse, and the anime tends to rely on this A LOT, besides as basic padding of course.

But those times they were presented as legitimate threat are ones which count because they show Jessie and James real battling skills and abilities. Free of plot limitations and plot armor by which protagonists are protected. More than once Jessie with Seviper, James with Weezing or Woobat and Inkay delivered faurly impressive strategies and attacks putting Ash and co under tough spot, just to see twerps being saved by some deus ex machina solution. Such as pokemon evolving in middle of battle, learning new attack out of nowhere or third party coming in saving situation.

Or writers dumbing them down on purpose to make easier for Ash and co to beat them. This was especially noticeable for some like Serena being consistently pulled from disadvantageous situation through some "divine intervention" preventing loss. In retrospective with Misty at least she most of times when facing them had to work for her win not being protected by plot armor nearly as much. With Jessie and James not coming of as punching bags. This could be noticed with battles such as vs James for salveyo weed in OI or when Corsola on one occasion faced Arbok alone, even in finals of Princess festival putting Psyduck away when Jessie Lickitung neutralized most of Misty pokemon how Misty had to work for her wins feeling like legitimate battles where suspense builder didn't quite blatantly indicated who was gonna win and how.

Same goes for Ash too with his Pikachu at times being out in tough spot and while TR blasting offs were often, they didn't feel as cheap and so predictable like it was situation with AG or DP outside of contests episodes.

In end writers on purpose limit TR potential and battle prowess because twerps are expected and have to win.

That's why I don't discard Misty battles vs TR in OS , because many times those confrontations had some substance behind them with wins not being earned so cheaply. That's not to say there weren't any of them, we saw several times TR in OS being easily blasted of too feeling like joke. But not as extensively as we got to experience in some future series for example(not counting BW where i feel they were probably at their prime for that small period).

You have a comprehension problem, i never said that ash's totodile is weak i said that in comparison to ash's other pokemon it is definitely among his weakest pokemon ever. Despite that i think it can still beat most of the companions pokemon as it still has sme good wins. Besides, since when having fully evolved pokemon means it is a powerhouse, that kingdra didn't have any major fetas to show that it was a powerhouse, as for that sneasel it was recently caught by harrison and wasn't trained properly and it still defeated totodile in earleir episode quite easily. Totodile is underused pokemon but still has less feats as compared t rest of ash's pokemon.

Point is you argued how Misty win over Totodile is insignificant because Totodile is "weak pokemon", but fact that Totodile was underused pokemon draws with itself consequence of not having opportunity to build as much feats as some other pokemon. Kingdra lack of backstory in Whirl Cup is irrelevant, because fully evolved pokemon like this followed by its trainer qualifying for stadion(with preliminary rounds before that serving as sieve to get rid of weak challengers makes it by default not a pushover). As well Harrison proving to be skilled trainer with Sneasel even as wild pokemon being pretty powerful.

However Totodile wins over them revealed it has hidden potential and due to lack of feats thanks to not being used enough puts it in unknown territory.Not having enough evidence to either classify it as strong, but also weak either.
Now for rest:
Meaning we are at standstill with debate running in circles. And for record I watched DP and XYZ and i still prefer OS due to having better humor, were closer to real life situations in plots and storylines being more realistic, group had best chemistry, pokemon anime felt more independent in creating its outlets and avenues different from games etc.

That's not to say I did not appreciated improvements in DP and at least in XYZ case Ash growth as trainer. But those sagas never delivered for me same amount of fun as i experienced when watching Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto.

So you can't sell me argument of being one of those guys new generations of fans like to discredit as "blinded by nostalgia oldies". Because i watched all pokemon sagas and still am recognizing elements OS had which newer pokemon regions never quite managed to catch well enough.

Speaking of Dawn i never denied she impacted Ash battling style but that doesn't mean she helped more than anyone else in Ash growth , as well statement of Misty not having impact on Ash as person and trainer not being true in slightest being something i cannot agree with at all.
Because it was Misty who criticized Ash of trying to catch pokemon without weakening it like he did with Sparrow. Misty actually taught Ash how vs rock and ground types water specie is good. Misty for Kanto league warned Ash that his laziness will backfire on him forcing him to train his pokemon. She was one who motivated Ash and mentored after his league loss how instead of self pity himself its time to get up and try better next time.

Misty actually often warned Ash not to be gullible falling for other people traps like TR putting tempting things on road.

Misty pointed out to Ash when his pokemon were in bad shape klike Pikachu suggesting to take him to doctor. Pointed out how sending Phanpy vs Dewgong would be mistake. Or criticizing Ash for underestimating his opponents like boy with Skiplum. Her encouragement, support and motivation she delivered helped Ash became more humble and aware of his limitations, Compared to arrogant and overconfident nature he displayed in early days.

Ash himself admitted how it was Brock and Misty merit to go that far as he did in Johto league, knowing he wouldn't get that far if he didn't had their support, mentorship and advices by his side.

You say Ash often tried to do opposite of what Misty taught him, but how many times did that backfired causing him to lose and embarrass himself? And afterwards Ash would quickly realize he was wring accepting what Misty told him with competitive flare and back and forth arguing going between him and Misty. Having friendly rivalry in liking to outsmart each other helped Ash to have someone who would push him forward to think outside bo on gym matches, come up with new use of pokemon and try harder when training and battling with pokemon.

And Misty wise comments and common sense helped Ash to get more aware of TR tricks, not to judge opponents so easily labeling them as weak. With Misty greatest help coming from making Ash to become more humble and experienced as person and trainer.

Sure Dawn inspired Ash to utilize some of contest techniques in his battling moves. But thats where her direct influence on Ash stops. Providing cheering and support which all other girls did.

So in reality taking everything in account Misty and Brock influenced Ash far more than anyone else because when he was rookie and inexperienced trainer he needed help the most.

You say Misty developed least out of all girls but your judging growth solely by how much someone goal was explored and how many arc centered about him/her existed in story, ignoring characterization evolution
Character development contrary to widespread belief does not consist only of how much someone goal was fleshed out. How much character focus episodes girls received, since very often many of girls in pokemon series received moments of learning on their mistakes and getting insight in their desires and past in episodes where they shared focus with someone else or were not main stars of those same episodes.

Most importantly character development is not measured by how much screen time girl received, but in how effectively screen time she received was utilized and on what level her personality, ideals, communication with others etc was played out and changed leaving effect on her.

So clear cut ranking is not even possible. Because Dawn for example had most development regarding her career and goal of becoming top coordinator getting out of Johanna shadow. But how much her character based on all hardships, challenges and involvement of new friends in her life changed? Maturing, growing, getting new layers to already from before established characterization? Answer is very little honestly.

Developing less in persona sense than some other girls.

Misty on other hand is viewed as "least developed main girl" according to serebii fandom. Because her dream of becoming water pokemon master wasn't focused on a lot accompanied with not receiving enough screen time.

But how much Misty in personality and character sense over time gradually evolved and developed? How much persons like Ash, Brock, Togepi influenced her behavior. How she coped with fears, phobias, self doubts and conflicts going inside her character developing new traits to her characterization, revealing new sides to her personality and all kind of experiences she had during travels and later at Cerulean had caused her to grow in person she is nowadays?

Because comparing Misty from early Kanto and Misty in Hoenn or latest Alola saga. There exists clear difference being undeniable this character developed ALOT in personality sense.

You say Misty development outside of Whirl Cup was non existent ignoring countless episodes introspecting her inner feelings, episodes where she caught pokemon or they evolved. Ignoring times she was coping with inferiority complex or battling others to prove herself?

You say Misty didn't had any memorable episodes in OS? I beg to differ. Episodes from Kanto for example such as "Princess vs Princess!", "Misty Mermaid!", from Orange Islands such as "Misty meets her Match!" or Stun Spore Detour!", from Johto such as "For Crying Out Loud!" or "Forest Grumps!", "Battle for Totodile!" were some of best episodes focusing on Misty character and heavily liked and remembered by generations of fans. I could list numerous other examples where Misty either played central role or shared focus with someone else while learning new things herself. With you sir being mistaken of Misty development not existing outside of Whirl Cup, having just "forgettable fillers".
Because on contrary she had several episodes dealing with her storyline or where her agendas and plans come on daylight. Despite not having such big arcs like Dawn for example did.

And frankly she did not need to being able to shine, be active and contribute to pokemon storyline without that.

Most fans your referring to would only agree with you on Misty treatment in middle of Johto, but at start before GS ball got dropped and in Master Quest general consensus was how Misty was recovered being out back on right track. Because Master Quest gave lot of development to Misty during Whirl Islands, challenging other trainers like Dorian, exploring on her love for water types when bonding with hotheaded trainer Egan, giving closure to her complex of inferiority imposed by older sibli9ngs, evolved her Poliwhirl, gave her new pokemon Corsola, built on relationship with new characters such as Sakura who would become ongoing supporter etc.

So honestly no Misty was not "background in 5th season!".

Bringing me to next point: Anyone who thinks Misty didn't advanced plot or influenced storyline in OS should rewatch anime again.
As well not realizing how OS followed entirely different standards where pokemon message was supposed to be about big adventure with recognizable group of main characters which evolve through course of journey, take their friendship to deeper level of meaning and work on achieving their dreams individually

Misty role in OS was to play supporting role to Ash helping him canalize his growth as trainer through coach and mentor role she played. Helping him ALOT when he was inexperienced rookie to stand on his feet and learn from mistakes.

Misty through her flamboyant nature, sarcasm and girly characteristics hidden under rough exterior of hers added to pokemon anime lot of identity, charm and stability through her unique dreams of trying to master water specie and reach E4 level. Through her quirks and various escapades balancing out between Ash overconfidence and Brock obsession with different gender stabilizing things up.

Misty actually through various episodes directly influenced storyline. Such as saving Porta Vista city under invasion of Tentacruel.

-saving Ash life in second movie or in OI
-freeing trapped pokemon by playing detective role in exposing Butch and Cassidy plan or coming to conclusion how was stolen Phanphy egg in Johto and who stole it
-played role in stopping TR in Lugia and Red Gyarados incident, through supporting role
-saved group life by knowing blue prints of ST. Anne ship leading rescue mission
- came up with idea how through Hoot Hoot help find way out of forest getting to first gym
-exposed TR numerous plans seeing through their masks and plans such as in episode where Brock wanted to get married preventing them to steal other pokemon
-helped Ash to prepare his pokemon team before match vs Macy
-came up with plan how to transport Snorlax from island preventing that whole place gets desolated through its huge appetite

Etc etc, being much more active than she' given credit for.,

Just because it didn't happened through tournaments or contests does not mean Misty was useless not contruibut8ing to pokemon anime, influencing other characters and plot. Because that couldn't be further from true.

Misty and Ash had in no way weaker bond than Dawn had with him.Their constant bickering and arguing was always fun to watch being interesting to see change in relationship between them over time.Misty toned down abit on her aggressive side becoming more teaseful/sarcastic in friendly manner.She also developed more tolerance toward Ash and her friends becoming more supportive and understanding with both characters becoming able to get over their difference developing strong friendship.

You could notice in departure episode how upset Misty was about having to leave Ash and Brock caring about her friends a lot. Having highly close friendship and as duo delivering lot of entertaining atmosphere to pokemon show.

Lastly when talking about football your clearly using double standards. When England ir Argentina lost vs Croatia you pin that to "being cheated by judges", how they had bad day", "weak teams, coach made mistakes" etc.

But when Croatia lost vs any of them you label it as "their football team being weak and incompetent".

Excises you provided behind England, Argentina, Spain etc loses are laughable. Croatia football team simply outplayed them using open chances efficiently, something opposing teams failed to do. Croatia team reached finals of world cup through hard work and smart play not being given anything. Their players playing in big clubs was result of their talent and competence displayed with our football team showing how they have skill, knowledge and can go head to head vs best representations out there. Making name for themselves as much as it bothers some it seems.

As for what Takeshi Shudo said. . He only stated how he regrets for Misty not being given bigger role and how he should have done more with character not being explored in story as much as she could've been ending unfinished.
But he never apologized for Misty existence in this show, nor his words reflect opinions from every other writer.

Like i said before. Opinion of one writer who stopped doing series construction way back in middle of Johto doesn't represent opinions from all members of writing staff. Shudo himself clearly said in his novelizations and blogs how he often got into quarrels with director and other writers. Showing how not all writers shared same view as he did about character and even though mr. Shudo (rest in peace)didn't favored Misty in end he regretted in his blogs for not strengthening her role and giving character more focus realizing how there was left more to be done ending unfinished and unexplored in many fields.

With other writers never expressing how they felt about Misty character, not knowing whole background behind this and if she was liked by rest of writing staff.

Speaking of shipping again what's happening now is completely irrelevant. Fact of the matter is that crush from Misty side existed in Johto as well, with last episode and episodes before that in tail end such as when meeting Macy proving otherwise. As well chronicles and when Misty was asked on date in episode "A Date with Delcatty!" Misty confirming how she still holds feeling for if we go by educated guess Ash. With that sublot even after Johto still showing signs to be alive, due to writers still not being sure if Misty will ever return as major character to pokemon again or not.

No one is arguing how nowadays that subplot is abandoned with writers not pushing anymore whole concept of romantic affection going between Misty and main protagonist Ash. But to say how in Johto and to smaller degree in AG Misty feelings didn't existed anymore would be completely false to say.

You say Serena was better developed than Misty? Depends on what area of development your talking about.

For first 40 episodes Serena had basically nothing being least focused female companion in such a large number of episodes in history of pokemon show. Whole pokemon performance goal seemed like afterthought quickly patched together to make it seem like her journey and character are moving somewhere.

Serena rivalries with characters like Shauna were badly handled t being always one step ahead from every other competition. With little to no effort coming almost at sole top.

Her pokemon team aside from Braixen was underdeveloped, especially Pancham and to some degree Sylveon.

And driving force behind her character, whole crush thing was completely one sided not going anywhere in end.

With abandonment oi pokemon performing happening on a whim to try out contests saying alot about how poorly Serena exit from anime was done.

As for Dawn i stand by what i said, in relationship with others and characterization, personality growth Dawn changed and developed less than May and Misty.

By well rounded im referring to writers investing more in Misty as trainer in pokemon department due to catching and acquiring much more pokemon than Iris, Serena and especially SM girls have. Sure aside from Psyduck, Politoad, Corsola and Gyarados most didn't went through much or any development with their personalities not being fleshed out. However collection of both amphibious and aquatic specie gave Misty as pokemon trainer more breathing room in having diversity and more muscle to maneuver in her battle choices and future events she would held. Supporting her infrastructure as pokemon water specialist better than in Iris case. Who has only 2 dragons in total having long way to go.

As well most of Misty water pokemon displaying decent or even impressive battling abilities such as Corsola and especially Staryu did compensating for lack of growth through interesting battle abilities, agility, unique features they possess individually as specie, in often saving other people and pokemon from dangerous situations .

With simple fact of diverse and bigger team in Misty case giving her just like as May and Dawn had more potential and stability in her future goal and development path.

Interactions between pokemon are not everything with there being much more to them justifying in Misty case having bigger team.

To conclude for sake of debate we have two options in here. Either we will continue beating dead horse going in circles because i do not agree with you at all, or we just have to accept with respect that we do not see eye to eye on this subject leaving it at that.
The issue is that you said "When did we ever see Dawn helping Ash like this?" and then I gave a perfectly clear example only for you to backtrack and pretend you never said that Dawn never helped Ash, and now twisting your words to pretend you always said Dawn helped Ash, and just that Misty helped him more, which is not what you said at all.

Perhaps i phrased what I said in wrong order, causing that my words get taken out of context. But by such statement I was obviously referring to impact left on Ash whole approach toward battling and other trainers or life in general hew had when he was greenhorn. Not even knowing basics needing someone to keep his ego under control.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools

That's why I don't discard Misty battles vs TR in OS , because many times those confrontations had some substance behind them with wins not being earned so cheaply. That's not to say there weren't any of them, we saw several times TR in OS being easily blasted of too feeling like joke. But not as extensively as we got to experience in some future series for example(not counting BW where i feel they were probably at their prime for that small period).

Point is you argued how Misty win over Totodile is insignificant because Totodile is "weak pokemon", but fact that Totodile was underused pokemon draws with itself consequence of not having opportunity to build as much feats as some other pokemon. Kingdra lack of backstory in Whirl Cup is irrelevant, because fully evolved pokemon like this followed by its trainer qualifying for stadion(with preliminary rounds before that serving as sieve to get rid of weak challengers makes it by default not a pushover). As well Harrison proving to be skilled trainer with Sneasel even as wild pokemon being pretty powerful.

However Totodile wins over them revealed it has hidden potential and due to lack of feats thanks to not being used enough puts it in unknown territory.Not having enough evidence to either classify it as strong, but also weak either.
Now for rest:
Meaning we are at standstill with debate running in circles. And for record I watched DP and XYZ and i still prefer OS due to having better humor, were closer to real life situations in plots and storylines being more realistic, group had best chemistry, pokemon anime felt more independent in creating its outlets and avenues different from games etc.

That's not to say I did not appreciated improvements in DP and at least in XYZ case Ash growth as trainer. But those sagas never delivered for me same amount of fun as i experienced when watching Kanto, Orange Islands and Johto.

So you can't sell me argument of being one of those guys new generations of fans like to discredit as "blinded by nostalgia oldies". Because i watched all pokemon sagas and still am recognizing elements OS had which newer pokemon regions never quite managed to catch well enough.

Speaking of Dawn i never denied she impacted Ash battling style but that doesn't mean she helped more than anyone else in Ash growth , as well statement of Misty not having impact on Ash as person and trainer not being true in slightest being something i cannot agree with at all.
Because it was Misty who criticized Ash of trying to catch pokemon without weakening it like he did with Sparrow. Misty actually taught Ash how vs rock and ground types water specie is good. Misty for Kanto league warned Ash that his laziness will backfire on him forcing him to train his pokemon. She was one who motivated Ash and mentored after his league loss how instead of self pity himself its time to get up and try better next time.

Misty actually often warned Ash not to be gullible falling for other people traps like TR putting tempting things on road.

Misty pointed out to Ash when his pokemon were in bad shape klike Pikachu suggesting to take him to doctor. Pointed out how sending Phanpy vs Dewgong would be mistake. Or criticizing Ash for underestimating his opponents like boy with Skiplum. Her encouragement, support and motivation she delivered helped Ash became more humble and aware of his limitations, Compared to arrogant and overconfident nature he displayed in early days.

Ash himself admitted how it was Brock and Misty merit to go that far as he did in Johto league, knowing he wouldn't get that far if he didn't had their support, mentorship and advices by his side.

You say Ash often tried to do opposite of what Misty taught him, but how many times did that backfired causing him to lose and embarrass himself? And afterwards Ash would quickly realize he was wring accepting what Misty told him with competitive flare and back and forth arguing going between him and Misty. Having friendly rivalry in liking to outsmart each other helped Ash to have someone who would push him forward to think outside bo on gym matches, come up with new use of pokemon and try harder when training and battling with pokemon.

And Misty wise comments and common sense helped Ash to get more aware of TR tricks, not to judge opponents so easily labeling them as weak. With Misty greatest help coming from making Ash to become more humble and experienced as person and trainer.

Sure Dawn inspired Ash to utilize some of contest techniques in his battling moves. But thats where her direct influence on Ash stops. Providing cheering and support which all other girls did.

So in reality taking everything in account Misty and Brock influenced Ash far more than anyone else because when he was rookie and inexperienced trainer he needed help the most.

You say Misty developed least out of all girls but your judging growth solely by how much someone goal was explored and how many arc centered about him/her existed in story, ignoring characterization evolution
Character development contrary to widespread belief does not consist only of how much someone goal was fleshed out. How much character focus episodes girls received, since very often many of girls in pokemon series received moments of learning on their mistakes and getting insight in their desires and past in episodes where they shared focus with someone else or were not main stars of those same episodes.

Most importantly character development is not measured by how much screen time girl received, but in how effectively screen time she received was utilized and on what level her personality, ideals, communication with others etc was played out and changed leaving effect on her.

So clear cut ranking is not even possible. Because Dawn for example had most development regarding her career and goal of becoming top coordinator getting out of Johanna shadow. But how much her character based on all hardships, challenges and involvement of new friends in her life changed? Maturing, growing, getting new layers to already from before established characterization? Answer is very little honestly.

Developing less in persona sense than some other girls.

Misty on other hand is viewed as "least developed main girl" according to serebii fandom. Because her dream of becoming water pokemon master wasn't focused on a lot accompanied with not receiving enough screen time.

But how much Misty in personality and character sense over time gradually evolved and developed? How much persons like Ash, Brock, Togepi influenced her behavior. How she coped with fears, phobias, self doubts and conflicts going inside her character developing new traits to her characterization, revealing new sides to her personality and all kind of experiences she had during travels and later at Cerulean had caused her to grow in person she is nowadays?

Because comparing Misty from early Kanto and Misty in Hoenn or latest Alola saga. There exists clear difference being undeniable this character developed ALOT in personality sense.

You say Misty development outside of Whirl Cup was non existent ignoring countless episodes introspecting her inner feelings, episodes where she caught pokemon or they evolved. Ignoring times she was coping with inferiority complex or battling others to prove herself?

You say Misty didn't had any memorable episodes in OS? I beg to differ. Episodes from Kanto for example such as "Princess vs Princess!", "Misty Mermaid!", from Orange Islands such as "Misty meets her Match!" or Stun Spore Detour!", from Johto such as "For Crying Out Loud!" or "Forest Grumps!", "Battle for Totodile!" were some of best episodes focusing on Misty character and heavily liked and remembered by generations of fans. I could list numerous other examples where Misty either played central role or shared focus with someone else while learning new things herself. With you sir being mistaken of Misty development not existing outside of Whirl Cup, having just "forgettable fillers".
Because on contrary she had several episodes dealing with her storyline or where her agendas and plans come on daylight. Despite not having such big arcs like Dawn for example did.

And frankly she did not need to being able to shine, be active and contribute to pokemon storyline without that.

Most fans your referring to would only agree with you on Misty treatment in middle of Johto, but at start before GS ball got dropped and in Master Quest general consensus was how Misty was recovered being out back on right track. Because Master Quest gave lot of development to Misty during Whirl Islands, challenging other trainers like Dorian, exploring on her love for water types when bonding with hotheaded trainer Egan, giving closure to her complex of inferiority imposed by older sibli9ngs, evolved her Poliwhirl, gave her new pokemon Corsola, built on relationship with new characters such as Sakura who would become ongoing supporter etc.

So honestly no Misty was not "background in 5th season!".

Bringing me to next point: Anyone who thinks Misty didn't advanced plot or influenced storyline in OS should rewatch anime again.
As well not realizing how OS followed entirely different standards where pokemon message was supposed to be about big adventure with recognizable group of main characters which evolve through course of journey, take their friendship to deeper level of meaning and work on achieving their dreams individually

Misty role in OS was to play supporting role to Ash helping him canalize his growth as trainer through coach and mentor role she played. Helping him ALOT when he was inexperienced rookie to stand on his feet and learn from mistakes.

Misty through her flamboyant nature, sarcasm and girly characteristics hidden under rough exterior of hers added to pokemon anime lot of identity, charm and stability through her unique dreams of trying to master water specie and reach E4 level. Through her quirks and various escapades balancing out between Ash overconfidence and Brock obsession with different gender stabilizing things up.

Misty actually through various episodes directly influenced storyline. Such as saving Porta Vista city under invasion of Tentacruel.

-saving Ash life in second movie or in OI
-freeing trapped pokemon by playing detective role in exposing Butch and Cassidy plan or coming to conclusion how was stolen Phanphy egg in Johto and who stole it
-played role in stopping TR in Lugia and Red Gyarados incident, through supporting role
-saved group life by knowing blue prints of ST. Anne ship leading rescue mission
- came up with idea how through Hoot Hoot help find way out of forest getting to first gym
-exposed TR numerous plans seeing through their masks and plans such as in episode where Brock wanted to get married preventing them to steal other pokemon
-helped Ash to prepare his pokemon team before match vs Macy
-came up with plan how to transport Snorlax from island preventing that whole place gets desolated through its huge appetite

Etc etc, being much more active than she' given credit for.,

Just because it didn't happened through tournaments or contests does not mean Misty was useless not contruibut8ing to pokemon anime, influencing other characters and plot. Because that couldn't be further from true.

Misty and Ash had in no way weaker bond than Dawn had with him.Their constant bickering and arguing was always fun to watch being interesting to see change in relationship between them over time.Misty toned down abit on her aggressive side becoming more teaseful/sarcastic in friendly manner.She also developed more tolerance toward Ash and her friends becoming more supportive and understanding with both characters becoming able to get over their difference developing strong friendship.

You could notice in departure episode how upset Misty was about having to leave Ash and Brock caring about her friends a lot. Having highly close friendship and as duo delivering lot of entertaining atmosphere to pokemon show.

Lastly when talking about football your clearly using double standards. When England ir Argentina lost vs Croatia you pin that to "being cheated by judges", how they had bad day", "weak teams, coach made mistakes" etc.

But when Croatia lost vs any of them you label it as "their football team being weak and incompetent".

Excises you provided behind England, Argentina, Spain etc loses are laughable. Croatia football team simply outplayed them using open chances efficiently, something opposing teams failed to do. Croatia team reached finals of world cup through hard work and smart play not being given anything. Their players playing in big clubs was result of their talent and competence displayed with our football team showing how they have skill, knowledge and can go head to head vs best representations out there. Making name for themselves as much as it bothers some it seems.

As for what Takeshi Shudo said. . He only stated how he regrets for Misty not being given bigger role and how he should have done more with character not being explored in story as much as she could've been ending unfinished.
But he never apologized for Misty existence in this show, nor his words reflect opinions from every other writer.

Like i said before. Opinion of one writer who stopped doing series construction way back in middle of Johto doesn't represent opinions from all members of writing staff. Shudo himself clearly said in his novelizations and blogs how he often got into quarrels with director and other writers. Showing how not all writers shared same view as he did about character and even though mr. Shudo (rest in peace)didn't favored Misty in end he regretted in his blogs for not strengthening her role and giving character more focus realizing how there was left more to be done ending unfinished and unexplored in many fields.

With other writers never expressing how they felt about Misty character, not knowing whole background behind this and if she was liked by rest of writing staff.

Speaking of shipping again what's happening now is completely irrelevant. Fact of the matter is that crush from Misty side existed in Johto as well, with last episode and episodes before that in tail end such as when meeting Macy proving otherwise. As well chronicles and when Misty was asked on date in episode "A Date with Delcatty!" Misty confirming how she still holds feeling for if we go by educated guess Ash. With that sublot even after Johto still showing signs to be alive, due to writers still not being sure if Misty will ever return as major character to pokemon again or not.

No one is arguing how nowadays that subplot is abandoned with writers not pushing anymore whole concept of romantic affection going between Misty and main protagonist Ash. But to say how in Johto and to smaller degree in AG Misty feelings didn't existed anymore would be completely false to say.

You say Serena was better developed than Misty? Depends on what area of development your talking about.

For first 40 episodes Serena had basically nothing being least focused female companion in such a large number of episodes in history of pokemon show. Whole pokemon performance goal seemed like afterthought quickly patched together to make it seem like her journey and character are moving somewhere.

Serena rivalries with characters like Shauna were badly handled t being always one step ahead from every other competition. With little to no effort coming almost at sole top.

Her pokemon team aside from Braixen was underdeveloped, especially Pancham and to some degree Sylveon.

And driving force behind her character, whole crush thing was completely one sided not going anywhere in end.

With abandonment oi pokemon performing happening on a whim to try out contests saying alot about how poorly Serena exit from anime was done.

As for Dawn i stand by what i said, in relationship with others and characterization, personality growth Dawn changed and developed less than May and Misty.

By well rounded im referring to writers investing more in Misty as trainer in pokemon department due to catching and acquiring much more pokemon than Iris, Serena and especially SM girls have. Sure aside from Psyduck, Politoad, Corsola and Gyarados most didn't went through much or any development with their personalities not being fleshed out. However collection of both amphibious and aquatic specie gave Misty as pokemon trainer more breathing room in having diversity and more muscle to maneuver in her battle choices and future events she would held. Supporting her infrastructure as pokemon water specialist better than in Iris case. Who has only 2 dragons in total having long way to go.

As well most of Misty water pokemon displaying decent or even impressive battling abilities such as Corsola and especially Staryu did compensating for lack of growth through interesting battle abilities, agility, unique features they possess individually as specie, in often saving other people and pokemon from dangerous situations .

With simple fact of diverse and bigger team in Misty case giving her just like as May and Dawn had more potential and stability in her future goal and development path.

Interactions between pokemon are not everything with there being much more to them justifying in Misty case having bigger team.

To conclude for sake of debate we have two options in here. Either we will continue beating dead horse going in circles because i do not agree with you at all, or we just have to accept with respect that we do not see eye to eye on this subject leaving it at that.

Lol only an idiot can take TR battles seriously since they are usualy considered as fall guys in the anime. And i compared totodile with ash's other pokemon who had much better feats than totodile, just because you lack brain doesn't mean you keep on rumbling about overhyping totodile when it has least amount of feats of all the ash's pokemon. As for kingdra it didn't had any major feats around that time. There are many cases where fully evolved pokemon are weak in the anime. Totodile is among the weakest of all the ash's pokemon whether you like it or not regardless its potential.
You are the one who is running in full circles, you can check all the fandom and the poll for favourite pokemon series and you will get DP and XY series as two best series. Both series had better storylines, better arcs, better characters, better developed pokemon, battles,etc. The only thing OS is better than DP/XY is it has humour. Ad how was OS similar to real life plots and storylines. Its simple you are a genwunner who considers OS to be only good part.

I never said dawn was mostly involved in ash's journey, ash was himself responsible for his growth, just because misty criticized him for making mistakes doesn't mean she taught him that. nor did her telling him rock vs water type matchup, as for ash's laziness and not training for kanto league he didn't listen to her anyways and used to brush her off so she didn't teach him anything. As for other things here were many instances where ash didn't even notice her advice and won matches even with his own style.

As for dawn she definitely have a huge impact on ash as a battler more so than misty had, and her cheering for ash go on to much different level since she even became a cheerleader for him. Misty's only luck was that ash was an inexperienced battler back than who had no experience in the outer world. As for ash acknowledging he has acknowledged all his companions even iris that they all had helped him in his journey to become strong, so that is nothing new.

Lol only major thing she did in master quest was a whirl cup arc, mst of the her episodes were boring fillers which were totally forgettable, also its still not wrong that they still count around 10-12 episodes, so 10-12 episodes out of 160 episodes of johto series is way too underwhelming, other pokegirls like dawn, serena and may all have gotten 2025+ episodes to there focus. That's why everyone calls misty background character in johto series.

As for shudo's comments he may have many arguments with his anime staff, but it still wont deny the fact that she was considered most bland character by the end of OS series and hence was axed. Its no secret that the writers do not treat both brock and misty in a right way, even brock's pokemon were treated better in later series AG/DP than in OS. Besides his regret or not we are not talking about what he could do to her character, we are talking about what we got from misty in johto and that was a big downer. So ou can keep on babbling about what she could do but it still doesn't change the fact that she didn't do that.

Lol most of your role of her in the storylines are not true-
She had no role in red gyarados and lugia/TR arc,she was just standing there with brock doing nothing. It was ash and ritchie and even TR trio who did most of the work whereas in red gyarados arc it was ash who saved that gyarados and lance who saved the day.
Again she had no role in ash's phanpy, that episode was going ahead due to that officer jenny's theatrics.
There is no proof that the movie 2 is even canon, except for that line in 4kids dub.
She didn't helped ash prepare in any match in johto, in fact brock helped him ore registering his pokemon, even beofre his match with gary brock was the one who helped ash waking up all night while misty was asleep

Ash and dawn had the best of chemistry among all the pokegirls, its not even a contest this is also most people will agree on. Simpl because both of them were involved in there journeys, not to mention there personalities were most similar of all the companions, not to mention both of them had there signature high five which signifies there bond, what did ash and misty had in comparison to that, most of the times they bicker which became annoying later on. As for farewell, even dawn was sad and nearly cried when she separated from ash and brock.

As for shipping subplot, it was never even confirmed that misty ahd a confirmed cruch on ash since many of the hints were added in english dub like her farewell episode where dub only showed ash and misty in her flashback in contast to sub version where every character was present, episode 200 where she said they will be married one
day, or in movie 6 where it was mentioned that ash miss his friend all of these are few eamples of dub added garbage. As for delcatty episode misty never mentioned ash name nor she had any flashback of ash after she said that she liked someone else, which could mean that she could be talking about her dream of water pokemon. As for macy there rivalry also started to become more of fire type vs water type and not for ash. Shudo had mentioned in his blog that they were not supposed to be a romantic angle between them. Besides why weren't there any hints in her cameo during AG and SM. They even didn't interacted much. Mark it there would be no hints in her upcoming cameo in SM. Pokeshipping is dead and buried a long time ago.

Serena was a much better developed character than misty in all the department goal progression, character development, having well balanced even small pokemon team who had different traits and were better handled.

Yeah she was underwhelming in first 40 episodes but to say she did nothing just shows your ignorance, you are defending misty for being background character in johto but you are trashing serena, besides she did teach ash rhyhorn racing, tracking him down to give him his handkerchief, taking interests in pokemon grooming, entering pokepuffs competition and rivalry with miette, fangirling over diantha, introducing ash to battle chateui which led ash to meet up with gym leader grant, learning to fly in sky realy episode. These were things she did in first 40 episodes which were less but still compared to what misty did in johto. Its just that she had an active goal after 40 episodes which her more relevant.

As for her pokemon pancham may have got less development but it had its traits like love for performance, rivalry with chespin, bickering with braixien, same way with sylveon it had its own arc as an eevee where she loved to perform but was shy around everyone else except bunnelby, she also got dvelopment to be more strong pokemon to get over her shyness and perform freely in front of the people, not to mention the bonding it had with serena was also good. That was all better than misty's bland pokemon most of them didn't have any personality.

Shauna may be lacking as a rival when compared to drew, harley and zoey but she wasn't pointless at all. She was the one who introduced to performance in the first place, she also helped her in many ways like having a tag battle. Besides XY rivals were not handled properly even ash's rivals like sawyer and alain were poorl handled.

Your saying that serena's crush was central part of her character just shows your desperation. She left her home to avoid rhyhorn racing which has been mentioned many times, she also wanted to find her own dream, meeting with aria who inspired her to be much better performer and make people smile, all of these were central to her character. Besides she also helped ash like in first and third gym making ash remember his training and battling with his own style or in snowbelle gym where she tried to motivate ash while recalling her journey and help him out of his depression. Even ash had admitted it many times that she had helped him a lot. As for shipping subplot, who told you that it lead to nothing, they had a kiss something pokeshippers can only dream off. Besides even the anime staff can mentioned that they could be a couple in the future. That ship is by far most canon in this series. The desperation of you pokeshippers are totally lame.

Lol again it has been mentioned multiple times that she had not abandoned her goal, she still is an aspiring performer, but she had gone on to participate in contests to sharpen her skill as a performer since contests and performances have many things in common. Besides even misty's write off was lame, she became a gym leader with no proper authority nor knowledge.

You are delusional to even think that dawn had less development than may and misty. Dawn had to her depression arc where she even thought of even giving up being a coordinator. She also wanted to come out of her mother's shadow who was top coordinator, and held her first ribbon as a motivation, not to mention the bond she had with her pokemon like piplup, or gaining the trust of mamoswine, keeping brock's advice and treating mamoswine just sows her maturity, her chemistry with ash which is still the best of all the companions which even made brock irrelevant in sinnoh. These are some of the examples of dawn's growth in her journey. She is by far the best developed pokegirl in the show, and was upgraded to co star of DP something misty and may could only dream off.

Well rounded doesn't mean good as long as it is not treatd properly, iris, serena, may and dawn have less pokemon but all of them were treated much better than them. Besides misty is a battler she has to catch more pokemon.

Croatian team in wc18 wasn't final worthy. Its no lie that against argentina croatia should have seen red card for stomping on argetinian defender, besides both england and argentina missed open chances in first half or else both teams could have finished off croatia there itlsef. Against spain also spain was clearly better team but again couldn't finish off there chances or else they would have won that match. France and spain 6-0 have proven that croatia doesn't stand anywhere near the top level teams.Also croatian players may play in big teams but they are at best fringe players, like modric who has substitute in this season or rakitic who is considered to be 6-7th most important player in barcelona. That's the reason why croatia has been relegated in the nations league. No secret that croatia only reached the finals in world cup with sheer luck and easy teams, any tough team and they would have smashed them.

I dont care if you agree with me or not but you calling misty a well rounded character after what happened to her in johto just shows you are a delusional misty fanboy.
[/QUOTE]

DatsRight

But those times they were presented as legitimate threat are ones which count because they show Jessie and James real battling skills and abilities. Free of plot limitations and plot armor by which protagonists are protected. More than once Jessie with Seviper, James with Weezing or Woobat and Inkay delivered faurly impressive strategies and attacks putting Ash and co under tough spot, just to see twerps being saved by some deus ex machina solution. Such as pokemon evolving in middle of battle, learning new attack out of nowhere or third party coming in saving situation.

Or writers dumbing them down on purpose to make easier for Ash and co to beat them. This was especially noticeable for some like Serena being consistently pulled from disadvantageous situation through some "divine intervention" preventing loss. In retrospective with Misty at least she most of times when facing them had to work for her win not being protected by plot armor nearly as much. With Jessie and James not coming of as punching bags. This could be noticed with battles such as vs James for salveyo weed in OI or when Corsola on one occasion faced Arbok alone, even in finals of Princess festival putting Psyduck away when Jessie Lickitung neutralized most of Misty pokemon how Misty had to work for her wins feeling like legitimate battles where suspense builder didn't quite blatantly indicated who was gonna win and how.

Same goes for Ash too with his Pikachu at times being out in tough spot and while TR blasting offs were often, they didn't feel as cheap and so predictable like it was situation with AG or DP outside of contests episodes.

In end writers on purpose limit TR potential and battle prowess because twerps are expected and have to win.

I dunno, I remember a few early half way decent TR battles, but then when Misty caught Psyduck, that more than compensated for her lack of plot armour. It would come in, almost always without her decision, and since no opponent was smart enough to attack below its forehead, it was an automatic win, since Psyduck could never be dented when its Psychic was activated (this was the era Psychic Pokemon were OP after all). That certainly was a formula Misty never stood a chance of losing even through bumbling and it was spammed many times, even outside TR.

You definitely pinpoint the issues with TR well, they and other plot device villains do feel pretty used as an excuse to plot armour the lower tier twerps and excuse them never losing or developing, the problem being it's down to karma and lack of challenge, not competence most of the time, so it's superficial scout points. It's also telling in later series because they aren't even mandated every episode anymore but they keep having them interrupt every plot, often specifically for characters who can't hold episodes for or don't really want to go into depth with foibles (eg. making Serena an invincible hero against TR was much easier to write than actually finishing any of her official battles, and no her being a non-battler isn't an excuse when they forced a 'battle' into nearly ALL her non-showcase limelight episodes, and her final spar implied we were still supposed to equate her dubious winning streak to actual training and development, despite NEVER finishing a battle she got a proper challenge, TR being used all the time was an obvious short cut around giving her proper character agency and any requirement to make her a fallible character).

Misty was maybe more subtle in handling about it, as in she did lose or get forced into some effortful battles at least every now and then to give her SOME substance, but she still a bit too often relied on Psyduck's dumb luck or five second curbstomp battles against bad guys for her quota, especially since, unlike most modern Pokegirls, she was meant to be more battle focused in the first place. I guess why she gets more credit in Kanto is because that season was less formulaic and more character driven, and while Team Rocket were used a lot it wasn't always in the same cheap way to dumb down the plot whenever they risked having to do something rather developed with the twerps like later series were guilty of. Johto on the other hand started this trend (even if it maybe had more entertainment value since often TR were still more developed villain protagonists in many episodes, eg. The Fortune Hunters sadly didn't really do much with Misty in the last half besides the usual curbstomp battle, but it DID end up a REALLY amusing plot for James).

I don't feel like the writers get the point with antagonists, there's no real substance to using them if the protagonists get NOTHING from going up against them besides LOOKING like a winner in a cheap and boring way. Even for other bumbling antagonists in fiction, their role is often to have an amusing chemistry with the hero to make them vibrant (something TR did at least accomplish early on) and often even then, they are only ineffectual because the heroes are smarter than them, not because the circumstances were rigged so that even a tree branch could mop the floor with them. Its especially telling in SM because the series does at least try to downplay the use of such irrelevant bad guys in favour of attempts at actual character driven stories far more often (or at least more relevant antagonists, Bourgain for example isn't exactly three dimensional but he is a feasible adversary for Kiawe that actually helps with character development), the likes of Team Rocket are clearly saved for the blander twerps they can't think of any material for such as Mallow and their face-offs are always some of their blandest in this series, they even made an in universe excuse why they ONLY put up a fight against Ash and are punching bags for everyone else, making it more obvious they are padding to the writers.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
The OS didn't have many battles to begin with, most of the fillers don't have battles in them either, same reason even Ash doesn't have a lot of proper battles in Kanto and a large chunk of Johto. Brock got hit hard too, after his Gym with Ash, I don't think Brock ever won a battle over the entire OS and even AG that wasn't a Team Rocket blast off.

In fact I don't think we ever saw Brock beat a trainer in battle till he got Croagunk in DP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here in case I'm forgetting something, but did Brock ever win a trainer battle after his initial Gym win over Ash?

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
The OS didn't have many battles to begin with, most of the fillers don't have battles in them either, same reason even Ash doesn't have a lot of proper battles in Kanto and a large chunk of Johto. Brock got hit hard too, after his Gym with Ash, I don't think Brock ever won a battle over the entire OS and even AG that wasn't a Team Rocket blast off.

In fact I don't think we ever saw Brock beat a trainer in battle till he got Croagunk in DP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here in case I'm forgetting something, but did Brock ever win a trainer battle after his initial Gym win over Ash?

I think brock's first official battle after pewter city gym battle was in BF contest (if you consider contest battles as part of official battles) or in hearthome city tag team in DP, regardless of what people say about brock in DP, that was the series where brock either trained more or battled most.

DatsRight

I think the trick with DP is that it was the point the formula had been run so hard into the ground that it HAD to have some moments it made a swerve and switched things about, just not nearly enough to prevent it being stale. Brock was an extra, but did have sporadic moments the writers took notice of him and demoted him so much to comic relief that he and his team were actually pretty colourful. Team Rocket had also become pathetic, but so to the point they actually became a dark horse and WON odd things.

So it did make some key unique moments spread about here and there, but the setup by normality was still kinda stale. Compare to say AG, which lacked the same twists from the usual premise but did at least still play the default well at times.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
Brock also didn't get to compete in a tournament till DP's tag battle one, even in the OS they had Misty in the Whirl Cup but nothing for Brock.

But even against normal trainers I can't even remember Brock beating anyone outside of TR till he got Croagunk. Did Crobat, Foretress and Vulpix even ever have a single win in their run?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
So, Lana caught the Eevee in the latest episode. Her first-ever team change, and that fact we had to wait pretty much 100 episodes for it is very saddening. It was quite scary that she was almost staring down the barrel as the first companion to never get a team change, but I guess she was the only logical choice to catch that Eevee. She has now surpassed Serena as the female companion who had the longest gap before obtaining a second Pokemon.

Kintaro

Banned
So, Lana caught the Eevee in the latest episode. Her first-ever team change, and that fact we had to wait pretty much 100 episodes for it is very saddening. It was quite scary that she was almost staring down the barrel as the first companion to never get a team change, but I guess she was the only logical choice to catch that Eevee. She has now surpassed Serena as the female companion who had the longest gap before obtaining a second Pokemon.

Toy merch hints her starter might evolve soon too, I wonder if it'll happen in the ep Misty appears in. Especially if they have a battle with water pokemon.

As of now Lillie is the only girl with no changes since SM began...

DatsRight

Toy merch hints her starter might evolve soon too, I wonder if it'll happen in the ep Misty appears in. Especially if they have a battle with water pokemon.

As of now Lillie is the only girl with no changes since SM began...

Lillie got Snowy after the series started however, so there was at least limelight on her raising, bonding and training her.

Mallow I could argue is worse because not only does she still only have her one Pokemon from the beginning, but in spite of it being fully evolved, people forget that she had ZERO influence on that and has barely done anything with it.

I hope Eevee will increase Lana's proactivity, especially with how frisky it is. A shame they waited until so far into the series however.