• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Companions?

CWisgood

Coral Eye Trainer
Out of all Journey fics, a lot has two or more trainers travelling together, and most of the time they have completely different personalities. Sometimes, they hate each other, and in this case, they usually have a 'secret' crush on each other.

But what I want to ask it, why would two trainers so different travel with each other? What are your ideas? How did you plan it (if you're writing a journey fic)?

Seijiro Mafuné

Diogomainardista!
Well, in 'Pokémon Johto', I basically set it up so that Prof. Elm would make Kenta take Marina on a quest through the region. While their interaction is a bit rough, the reasoning for it is simple:
[SPOIL]Marina has a crush on Prof. Elm, and idolizes him severely. Since she thinks Kenta actually wanted to take her away, she despises his attitude and wants to get as far away from him as possible.[/SPOIL]

As for that 'secret crush' thing, I think it's a bad and overused cliché, which is why I don't use it (at least not as a pre-existing factor). Instead, I prefer to both have the main characters grow feelings for each other slowly... and meanwhile, flirt with everything of the opposite gender. *laughs*

Yep, that's my PoV.

CWisgood

Coral Eye Trainer
I envy your boyfriend/ girlfriend. (-_-|||) :p

Having one of the characters on [spoil]the prof[/spoil] is an interesting idea. I don't think it was ever done (except in yours, of course).

Maybe next time I'll have a character have a crush on one of the Elite Four, and s/he follows the other character to help him collect gym badges, so when the other character battles the Elite Four, s/he gets to see him/her. :p

Dilasc

Boip!
Hmm, well, I know the trainers in my fic that travel with each other aren't in any sort of intimate relationship. Yes, they are very different personalities, BUT there's one major detail, they're both male! I have enough characters with bisexual or homosexual views of the world to not make myself jump the idea of any manloving. I kinda like my Viking space seeker too much to do something like that to him.

Not always do people need to travel with their opposite gender.

Anyway, why travel in groups? SAFETY! In this big bad world, your safety is not guarunteed unless you push it to the limit and have only done it once before. With all sorts of criminal, wild beast, and loan sharks roaming about looking to end the story of your life character's life, or at least make him chase you in a pink jumpsuit as he steals your bike (because breaking the bike is SO outplayed.) Still, traveling with someone grants you both a meat shield found in each other, and the only disadvantage is that you may form a friendship and start to worry about the life of your meat shield... but your character will get over it in time.

CWisgood

Coral Eye Trainer
Dilasc said:
Hmm, well, I know the trainers in my fic that travel with each other aren't in any sort of intimate relationship. Yes, they are very different personalities, BUT there's one major detail, they're both male!

Well, obviously I'm referring to the male and female ones. xD

Meat... shield... (-_-|||)

icemew

Banned
What about just meeting up and deciding to travel together because they're both going to the same places and it's nice to have company? I've only read one story like that, but it seemed to work out OK.

CWisgood

Coral Eye Trainer
The problem is most trainer fics focus on collecting badges, a winding path through Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/ whatever. They don't aim for a destination.

icemew

Banned
But if both are collecting badges, that doesn't matter, right?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
As far as I go, Rich and Anabel first started traveling together out of mutual desire to exact revenge on the organization that had harmed them in the past. Over the course of the first fic they fell in love, and now in the second they're married. So it's a little different there.

Moonlight Locust

Wait, am I back? Wow
Mine's in spoilers as I'm refrencing a fic I'm working on that's noot been started.

Well Ross and Lovrina join up even though tthey hate each other's guts. Lovrina only joins Ross 'caus she hates Cipher's new leader. Now aftter a while when Ross is in a contest battle with leader's riht hand man Lovrina cheers for him. Then Ross is about to die and she confesses her love for him.
-XD;249-d;

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
Well if you're looking for an excuse to make them travel together, I've always found the parents one easy.

"You're going to travel together because you can look out for each other, and protect each other. So you will travel together and thats final"

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Well, I don't write pokemon fics anymore, but in my current fic, four very different characters have no choice but to travel together.

Shrike Flamestar

Video Game Addict
In my fic, Shrike Flamestar’s (the main character) first traveling companion (Rayne Jarxis) joins up with him because they’re both leaving from the same place (A Pokémon Academy) at the same time and they’ve known each other for a couple months prior to the start of the story. Add in the fact that Rayne is pretty much a loner (ooh, clichés) and that Shrike is the first person who seems to relatively accept her, and it all makes sense.

Their second companion (Aira Kaza) joins them because she and Shrike have been online friends for quite a while prior to the start of the story (although, he didn’t expect to meet her, it was just a coincidence) and after this big event pretty much destroys the Pokémon Academy she was going to, she is graduated early. She also does have an attraction to Shrike that she doesn’t exactly hide that much...

PDL

disenchanted
while my fic isn't necessarly a trainer fic (the main characters are pokemon themselves) Mine does seem alot like one.

Right now, I have 3 characters that are travelling:

The titular character, Sabrina seems like the type that's not all there, so to speak. After living a sheltered but happy life, her world's been shattered after her brother's kidnapping. She has to set of on an adventure to save him. However she's kinda naive, easily distracted and has zero battle experience, not exactly the kind of person one should leave on their own. So she was put in charge of the starting pokemon that was ment for her human brother...

Other pokemon will join Sabrina's cause, which is possibly intertwined with the fate of the world of pokemon itself...

Luckmage said:
...-has a supremely short answer-

Opposites attract? xD

These are my three very short reasons:

a)they have the same goals and so can help each other along the way

b)they actually enjoy that bickering

c)they have no one else to rely on
C) Is the one I used. It can also be looked at as "How is one person going to have/make enough moneyto support himself and his Pokemon" and like Dilasc said, Saftey in numbers. In "Ties" Older trainers travel with Younger trainers to show them the ropes and keep them safe from Evil Team/Powerful Pokemon, More often than not their payed. Two Younger trainers could do the same thing in theory.

Why would characters who don't like each other travel together? I'd say because actually going out in the world is pretty freaky with no one else. It's new and it's different and it's scary. But if you have someone else to talk to, someone who's familiar, even if they're not nice, things might seem a little more normal. Plus, there's the usual bonuses - like sharing the cost of meals and board and getting help if you get hurt or can't read your map or get lost and so forth. It's just a bit easier if there's someone else you know. Perhaps one has knowledge the other needs? Like someone's already been to a certain city and knows their way around it/has relatives there? Meh, here's hoping these ideas can be of good use to you. ^^

Piney.
;204;;324;

Banov

Of the Kecleon
Lupin said:
Well if you're looking for an excuse to make them travel together, I've always found the parents one easy.

"You're going to travel together because you can look out for each other, and protect each other. So you will travel together and thats final"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHA!

If anything, parents would do the opposite. Do you think that they'd be so stupid that they'd let two teenage childen of the opposite gender go around the world without supervision while sleeping dangerously close to each other? Hormones would get a-workin pretty fast, and before you know it....

Companions shouldn't be together of they hate each other. If they hate each other, they'd split apart and maybe meet up onc in a while if they were on the same journey.

However, you can have a companion who's your 'opposite' but still be friends. Remember, opposites attract, so opposites would be friends. They'd seek in each other what they lacked in themselves- (a good source of character development.) They'd only hate each other if their personalities were not opposite, but conflicting.