• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Compare Your Favorite Animal to its Pokémon Counterpart

WolfCypher

ITT, what is your favorite animal (or creature of lore, mythology, yo-kai...object...) and does it have a Pokémon equivalent? If so, how would you rank that Pokémon? For instance, if your favorite animal (or "animal") is a dragon, and Rayquaza is specifically the Pokémon that closely resembles the type of dragon you like, does it's design live up to your standards? Is it a good representation? Is there something you wish it had that makes it short of your standards? Etc.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My favourite animal is the moose (because Canada, as you can see in my sig), but strangely, there isn’t an actual moose Pokemon at this time. The closest thing would probably be Stantler or Sawsbuck.

The other day, I saw someone walking a corgi, and I immediately thought of Yamper. So Pokemon ARE real… if you believe they are. ;)

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Wolves - Midday Lycanroc is cool, Dusk too. Not a fan of Midnight but that one is more a werewolf anyway. I like the look of Zacian and Zamazenta so far too. I can see some wolf in Mightyena and Suicune, and I like them as well (the former could really use a buff though)

Cats - The Luxray line is definitely my favourite of this kind. Pyroar line is also good. Raikou/Entei/Suicune too if they count as big cats. The rest are okay/meh as far as I can remember

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
My favourite dinosuar (and favourite animal overall) is the ankylosaurus, Torterra is sort of an ankylosaurus meets the world turtle concept and I love torterra, the only way I could think to improve Torterra would be if had different variant with different biomes on it's shell but I don't see that happening as it's a starter Pokemon. I would also like to see a more traditional ankylosaur with a tail club and back ridges but Torterra is perfect as is and another ankylosaurus probably wouldn't beat torterra in my eyes.

My favourite mythological creature is the dragon, and Pokemon has a whole type for dragons, some better than others...

My favourite modern day animal is the red panda, Stufful is cool and all but it's not one of my favourites.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Mine are...(surprise) wolves and I have a bit of a rundown.

Lycanroc, specifically the Midday and Dusk versions, are satisfying representations. Competitively, they aren't setting the world on fire, but I like their designs a lot and having their own signature move (that's actually GOOD) and a cool exclusive Z-Move make them favorites of mine.

If Bulbapedia is to be trusted, Manectric is based on a wolf Raiju. I always thought it was some kind of feline for years, and I don't really see it all that indicative of a wolf. Also, I've never felt there was anything special about Manectric outside of it weirdly being compatible with Flamethrower.

I know people will argue Mightyena isnt a wolf, but its so close. I love its design and gray-black wolves are aesthetically my favorite color combo for the animal. But..."its a hyena..."

Jury is still out on Zacian and Zamazenta. Their designs are still rubbing off on me.

Finally, another debatable pick, Lucario, my favorite Pokémon. So this one can be argued a "wolf" since the popular belief is Lucario's inspiration was Anubis, and historians are now saying Anubis wasn't based on a jackal but instead a golden African wolf, so. Lucario's design is great (Mega Lucario is even better), it has my favorite type (Fighting) and its a damn good Pokémon competitively. But admittedly, its more of an anthromorphic "any given canidae" than a wolf.

I'd say I'm happiest with Lycanroc as a direct representation of my favorite animal, while I'm happy my favorite Pokémon Lucario also overlaps into my favorite animal territory.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
My top favorite animal is mice, and a mouse, Pikachu is my favorite Pokemon.

Many people don't like real life mice, because of how they can infest homes. However many people keep what are called fancy mice as pets, those people generally find mice adorable.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I am still waiting for an oarfish Pokémon (No, we don't have one yet).
On another note, despite Zigzagoon not being a dog, Galarian Zigzagoon reminds me of my shih-Tzu.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Jury is still out on Zacian and Zamazenta. Their designs are still rubbing off on me.

I’d say Zacian is the most wolf-like of the two. Zamazenta looks more like a lion with its mane.

I am still waiting for an oarfish Pokémon (No, we don't have one yet).

Isn’t Milotic an oarfish? I always thought it was an eel though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
My favorite animals are foxes and lions, and the Pokemon franchise thankfully has quite a few of both species. In terms of fox Pokemon, Rokon (Vulpix) and the Zorua evolutionary line are my favorites, and as far as lion Pokemon go I'm a big fan of the Kolink (Shinx) line and the Shishiko (Litleo) line. Entei is kind of hit-or-miss, however.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Isn’t Milotic an oarfish? I always thought it was an eel though.

Milotic is not even that close to an oarfish. (Just to be clear, neither is Huntail. I have heard people say that also.)
Milotic may be some sort of large eel or possibly a sea serpent. Even though the oarfish have been suggested as sea serpent sightings, it is not close enough to Milotic.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Always been a fan of dinosaurs, so I've always had a soft spot for fossil Pokemon. Especially the Tyrunt line.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I love cats, big and small, but sadly in my experience feline Pokemon tend to be not that great. Pyroar is the only one I've ever had any real success with. I also like great apes (Darmanitan is awesome, Oranguru is okay-ish), rhinoceros (Rhyhorn/Rhydon look more like Heisei-era Toho Kaiju than actual rhinos though, but I still think they're fine), and Caprinids such as goats and sheep (Gogoat is one of my favourite Grass-types, and I hope Wooloo evolves into something great).

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Caprinids such as goats and sheep (Gogoat is one of my favourite Grass-types, and I hope Wooloo evolves into something great).
Goats are another one of my favourite animals and Gogoat is pretty cool even if Gogoat is a dumb name.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
My favorite animals are zebras, monkeys/apes, crows, tigers, lions, and rams.

Zebras: Zebstrika is one of my favorite Electric Types and is in my Top 10 from Unova. It’s very lackluster in competitive but its abilities always granting it an immunity plus having Overheat is cool. Plus its cry is very cool

Monkeys/apes: All of the primate Pokèmon are cool. Infernape was my first Pokèmon ever, Aipom/Ambipom are cute and swift, Primape’s my favorite Gen 1 Pokèmon, I always use the Elemental Monkeys, Darmanitan is one of my go to Pokèmon in competitive, & Oranguru and Passimian are fun in the anime.

Crows: Murkrow/Honchkrow are pretty cool Pokèmon. Honchkrow’s a cooler design but I like Murkrow in battle more.

Tigers: My favorite Pokèmon is a tiger. I’m pleased

Lions: Litleo is adorable, Pyroar, while underwhelming, looks great. Solgaleo looks like a gentle yet ferocious giant.

Rams: Haven’t really gotten one iirc. Gogoat was close but I hope Wooloo evolves into one

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Goats are another one of my favourite animals and Gogoat is pretty cool even if Gogoat is a dumb name.

“Go go Gogoat, Rocket Hooves!” XD (I saw that in someone’s sig once.)

Rams: Haven’t really gotten one iirc. Gogoat was close but I hope Wooloo evolves into one

Maybe Wooloo could have a gender-based evolution line, evolving into a ewe (female sheep) if it’s female, and a ram if it’s male. Given its braids, it could probably also be something Viking-y is well.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Bats are second on my list. Both the real-life animal and one of its Pokemon counterparts, Zubat, are maligned by many people. But other people enjoy these animals, the only flying mammals. Many real-life species consume tons of annoying insects, saving a boatload of money on pesticides.

So, bat Pokemon are also on my list of favorite Pokemon, though the mouse Pikachu is still #1.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Bats are second on my list. Both the real-life animal and one of its Pokemon counterparts, Zubat, are maligned by many people. But other people enjoy these animals, the only flying mammals. Many real-life species consume tons of annoying insects, saving a boatload of money on pesticides.

So, bat Pokemon are also on my list of favorite Pokemon, though the mouse Pikachu is still #1.
I found Zubat/Golbat/Crobat was a pretty decent Flying-type to use in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, I should use it more often in later generations, but there are often other Flying-types I want to use more.
On topic, when it comes to prehistoric animals, my favourite extinct animal is the woolly mammoth, and I do like Mamoswine a lot. What I would often do in HG/SS is catch a Swinub in one game, then trade it across to the other game some time after beating Whitney so I'd have at least something good to counter Clair.