• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Compare Your Favorite Animal to its Pokémon Counterpart

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I found Zubat/Golbat/Crobat was a pretty decent Flying-type to use in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, I should use it more often in later generations, but there are often other Flying-types I want to use more.

It’s funny how everybody hates Zubat because it’s so common, but they don’t see its potential as a great battler. Which I think is kind of sad. :(

ThroughTheIris56

My favourite animal is a wolf, specifically a gray wolf.

I know we have lots canidae inspired Pokemon (including Houndoom which I love), but not much based on proper wolves. We have Manectric which I like but is based on a Maned wolf but that is apparently not a type of wolf. And Lycanroc in fairness does resemble a wolf, but I feel like GF could make better design for a Pokemon based on a Wolf. I think an Ice type would make for an awesome Wolf Pokemon.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
An Ice type wolf would be based on arctic wolves.

The first stage of such an evolutionary line should clearly be a pup.

ThroughTheIris56

An Ice type wolf would be based on arctic wolves.

The first stage of such an evolutionary line should clearly be a pup.

To be fair, there are a number of subspecies of wolf that live in cold climates, so while an arctic wolf is a a good inspiration, Northwestern wolves, and Eurasian wolves would also work. And yeah, a cub would be a good first stage.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Of the bats we've seen in Pokemon, we have one line that is primarily based on vampire bats whose entire diet is blood, but have sometimes been depicted in fanworks as sometimes eating Bug-types similar to most bats in the real world. Then we have two lines based on fruit-eating bats, one of which begins as a Honduran white bat and evolves into a flying fox, and one line that appears to be flying foxes all the way through (and are currently the only mammalian Dragon-types, a Dragon Eeveelution would be the third).

We haven't seen a line based completely on insectivorous bats. Since the Galar region is based on the UK, I'd like to see a line based on common pipistrelles, with an initial stage based on pups that can only be obtained by breeding, but ultimately it is a three-stage line. It would be a primarily Fire-type line (based on Fire being strong against Bug, a similar thing is seen with the anteater Pokemon Heatmor), and gain the Flying-type in its second stage, the stage most common in the wild (the third stage would be mainly obtained by evolving the second stage though it can occasionally be caught in the wild).

WolfCypher

Okay then. How about

Foxes
I'm fine with what we've got. None of them have really won me over. Aesthetically I like Alolan Ninetales the most. I wish Zoroark was better. Its missing something and I have no idea what.

Gorillers
I hate them all. None of them look right. I've been waiting for a literal Pokemonized Donkey Kong, amd we got weird looking Darmanitan. The closest we have to a standard one is Slaking, who is a bad Pokémon and is too sloth for my liking. I hope Grookey delivers, but then again I'm not a fan of Grass-types so even if its the Goriller I've been waiting for it'll still a type I don't use on my teams.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Unpopular opinion alert: African wild dogs are better than wolves. Nicer colour schemes, faster, stealthier, sharper teeth, and a more complex social structure. I would LOVE to see a Pokemon based on an African wild dog one day.

What's the difference between wild dogs and hyenas? I always seem to confuse them. I recently watched a documentary series about the Serengeti, and I thought a region based on that could be cool. You could go on an actual Pokémon Safari. :D

My favorite animal is the Anomalocaris. An extinct sea creature from the Cambrian, a little over half a billion years ago.
It was one of the largest animals of its time, some species grew to a length of 1 meter which was huge then. Some call it he first true apex predator and one species was probably able to even crush the hard exoskeletons of trilobites.

Anorith is based on this animal. Armaldo is more a mix between an anomalocaris and dinosaur/insect features. Armaldo is my favorite pokemon with Anorith in close pursuit, I absolutely love them and still use my original Armaldo I got back in Sapphire in my team, despite obtaining a shiny one during the years.

What's the difference between wild dogs and hyenas? I always seem to confuse them. I recently watched a documentary series about the Serengeti, and I thought a region based on that could be cool. You could go on an actual Pokémon Safari. :D

To my knowledge, they're completely separate species, even genera. African wild dogs are well, more related to dogs, however much more distant than wolves are, they don't even fall into the same genus.

Meanwhile, hyenas are actually more related to mongooses and even cats than to dogs, still quite distant though but they fall more into the feline branch of the Carnivora than in the Canine one.

Last edited:
Is that why it's a Bug/Rock type?
Yeah, Anomalocarids are most closely related to arthropods. More to crustaceans than to insects though since insects didn't exist yet when it lived. It only had a partial exoskeleton though, its entire back and much of its head were soft tissue.

The rock type is because all fossils are rock types. I actually like to think it's a side effect of cloning them from fossils and kinda hope they'll once introduce original formes of the fossil pokemon, Tyrantrum's dex entry even states that it looks different than the original that lived millions of years ago.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I also like wolves too.

I'm hoping Ash and Gladion's Lycanroc are of opposite genders so that they can show an interest in each other.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My favorite animals are kangaroos. Kangaskhan is pretty cool, but I wish we had a more realistic kangaroo.

Maybe if we get an Australian region, we’ll get a Pokemon that looks more like a kangaroo. But we already have Komala for a koala, and that wasn’t in Australia.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
My favorite animals are tigers and the Pokemon series has done a good job with them. Litten's evos and Raikou look badass and I hope that Gamefreak have more tiger Pokemon in store in future generations.

I always thought Growlithe and Arcanine were tigers when I was younger, because of their orange colour and black stripes. They look more doggish than cattish, though - Growlithe is the Puppy Pokemon.