• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Community Chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
I disagree. If you can manage to lay out heaps of spikes and have a powerful phazer, it can still be good. However, they are not foolproof and are risky. Big risk big reward. If your only spiker is killed early, a stall team is effectively useless.

spareux

maldición
Anything can be effective if you are good enough, the only problem is that in the fourth generation, luck has a much larger influence over every battle - there are simply too many factors to take into account when you only have 6 Pokemon, and so no strategy is really universally "bad" at any one moment.
There's a nice thread about it on Smogon right now. I can't remember what it's called exactly but it's basically about how even if you take logical and thoughtful steps in every turn of a battle, you are still pretty likely to lose because everything gets a dozen and one movesets.

pastel

Viva el Reggaeton!
Stall is effective, very effective, however, HO teams have a clear adavantage over them, and since they are getting more and more popular, stall teams are naturally reduced.

Um stall rapes HO last time I checked. Even with DS, HO can't prevent entry hazards from screwing it over as there really isn't any room for a spinner (unless you use LOmie spinner, and spinning is a waste of time when you could be smacking stuff).

Bumping thread for opinions on new UU (ie post Porygon-z and Cresselia) and predictions regarding the tier placements of Latias and Manaphy.

I haven't laddered UU for a few days now but it's looking to be a more stable metagame than Cresselia/Porygon-Z. Hopefully Froslass gets kicked out soon as she's evil. And of course, the debate about rain will go on.

As for Latias and Manaphy, I don't play Suspect (or OU even for that matter) enough to really judge them, so yeah.

Spire

soiya
There's a nice thread about it on Smogon right now. I can't remember what it's called exactly but it's basically about how even if you take logical and thoughtful steps in every turn of a battle, you are still pretty likely to lose because everything gets a dozen and one movesets.
Hence why Scarf Flygon/Scarf Latias/Scarf Dragonite/Scarf Salamence/Scarf Magneton/Magnezone gets results.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
They were manageable in the UU tier but cress is just too bulky as it was once thought to be nearly ubers. Pory-Z isn't that fast though so it wasn't that dangerous. It was a bit powerful though. Honestly, most things that get moved a tier get to move back.

Porygon-Z was faster than a good portion of UU actually, and most P-Z were scarfed I think so that helped compromise its "lacking" stat. Tbh though I used scarf P-Z and found it quite underwhelming, it wasn't dealing as much damage as I thought it would originally. The NP set was the most lethal iirc, as it could set up on a lot and was bulky enough to take a priority attack.

ashds

Law and Order: Unova
I'm sorry if this is a supid question but does anyone have any ideas for a move set for a Persian. I ask because I want to make all of my pokemon on Diamond usable in Competitive battleing and I'm on my Persian now

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
You know about how the eruption heatran is quiet, that would make it a good TR sweeper like octillery or wailord.

GROUND_PWNS_ALL

GROUND_PWNS_ALL
I saw in the 4 gen pkmn of the week ynmga has protect. Not abo****ely positve, but I think it doesn't learn protect, however does get detect. Not much of a difference but just thought to mention so nobody is thrown off.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I saw in the 4 gen pkmn of the week ynmga has protect. Not abo****ely positve, but I think it doesn't learn protect, however does get detect. Not much of a difference but just thought to mention so nobody is thrown off.

No, Yanmega does get Protect - by TM maybe - but it does learn it.

Tiamoko

What Competitive Community?

Why is there a supposed "competitive community" of Pokemon when there are never tournaments for Pokemon anyway. The Pokemon TCG has more tournaments then the games do. You never see Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver locals. So please elaborate. Also Smogon sucks ***, just had to say that.

Bulldogs

Banned
Why does Smogon suck in your opinion? I mean after all, this is a discussion thread. Although, like most generic Smogon haters, you are likely either a. a troll or b. incapable of formulating an argument.

Why is there a supposed "competitive community" of Pokemon when there are never tournaments for Pokemon anyway.
There are tournaments all the time on Smogon and even here, let alone other Pokemon forums all over the place. There is also a ladder on Shoddy which means there is to an extent little need for tournaments.
Also Smogon sucks ***, just had to say that.
Cool opinion bro. Reasoning for this is?

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
I love smogon of its articles and movesets, but in the forums, whenever I post there, it gets deleted the next day. Are mods hating me or something?

Mods are very delete-happy on Smogon, so don't worry about it. If they think a post is stupid and shouldn't be there they'll fix it.

Anyway to avoid this being highly off-topic, what are people's opinions on the current suspects (Latias in OU; Froslass, Raikou, and Moltres in UU)? I don't give a crap about Latias tbh but if she goes OU may be slightly more fun for a week. Froslass is a broken bitch, and Moltres is too strong too imo. Nothing can switch into it bar like three things, and all of them have a chance of being beaten bar Chansey. Raikou I'm not so sure about, I haven't played it much nor used it much.

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
Latias should gtfo.

Status
Not open for further replies.