• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

competitive cores

irock245

She wants it
I saw this on the smogon server, so I thought we should add it here considering there is no thread for this right now.

Everyone knows skarmbliss or ferrocent combos, right? Well there are other cores of pokemon that can work really well in competitive battling, like politoed and scizor. What combos do you think could work really well?

Post them here with all the sets of each pokemon, how it works, what works well, and what causes problems for this core, and how you can remedy them considering that you can't stop all threats with just 2 or 3 pokemon that work well together.

Skarmbliss is decent now with fewer Lucario, Gyarados and Infernape to wreck it.

Mew-Jirachi walls a surprisingly large number of Pokemon.

Blah, im lazy.

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
Aren't Water-Fire-Grass cores pretty decent nowadays? Here's one I invented:

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Impish
EVs: 4 Atk., 252 Def, 252 Sp. Def
Leech Seed
Substitute
Stealth Rock
Bulldoze

Leech Seed provides healing for the team and Ferro's Steel type allows it to have a Dragon resister. Substitute is stupidly annoying with Leech Seed, Stealth Rock makes Switching out a no-no for many, and Bulldoze allows the rest of my team to outspeed my opposition. Provided I predict well, he will also protect me from Toxic.

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 112 HP, 252 Sp Atk, 144 Def
Thunderbolt
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
Pain Split

A standard Rotom-W. Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are STAB. Will-O-Wisp cripples many Pokemon by severing their Attack Stat. Pain Split is for emergency healing. It gives my team a Ground immunity, and it's Grass Weakness is negated by Ferrothorn's Grass Resist.

Chandelure@Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def, 252 Sp. Atk., 252 Speed
Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
HP (Fighting)

Flamethrower and Shadow Ball are STAB, and quite effective on lots of stuff in OU. Energy Ball kills the few Pokemon these days that are only weak to Grass. HP (Fighting) gets the enormous amount of Pokemon that are weak to that. Gives the team a Fighting, Normal, and Fire immunity!

irock245

She wants it
@chanseychansey77:

True those cores are effective but a strong dragon type poke can rip through all three given it has the right moves based on the cores's types. In other words, they are not always reliable.

That's why I want to see interesting core people have came up with that can work. I'm not shying away from those cores, I just want to see something new that is as effective.

One pretty effective core this gen I've found is Gliscor - Rotom-W - Jirachi. They all cover each others weaknesses very well, as well as checking a majority of the top threats in the metagame, and they can also deal with Sand and Rain fairly well.

irock245

She wants it
i love my core of scizor, heatran, and rotom-w. Oly heatran in sun and other rotom-w have given me problems, but a virizion fixes that. True it follows the water-fire-grass core, but it stops other dragons cold, no small feat.

Edit: I use the same rotom-w as chansey does. He's great.

Typhlosionvsworld

Y u mad bro?
Well...

Drizzle Politoed and Rain Dish Tentacruel

Politoed@Leftovers
Timid

Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Mud Shot

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Timid

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Barrier

Toed is hard to kill, plus it sets things up for Tentacruel. Once Tentacruel has Barrier all the way up, it can't be defeated, thanks to Black Sludge and Rain Dish.

Zachmac

Gliscor works well with bulky waters like Rotom and Suicune.

Well...

Drizzle Politoed and Rain Dish Tentacruel

Politoed@Leftovers
Timid

Surf
Ice Beam
Hypnosis
Mud Shot

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Timid

Surf
Sludge Bomb
Ice Beam
Barrier

Toed is hard to kill, plus it sets things up for Tentacruel. Once Tentacruel has Barrier all the way up, it can't be defeated, thanks to Black Sludge and Rain Dish.
What about DW vaporeon? That works well with it.
Hydration
Rest
Scald/Surf
Ice Beam
Acid Armor/HP grass/HP electric

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
@irock245: Not if I predict well, they can't! The Dragon Types, I mean. The banning of Garchomp helped with my confidence in it. It resists Dragon and is immune to Fighting, Poison, Ground, Normal, and Fire. Quite a bit as long as I predict properly.

DragonSkull94

The Heartless Hero
I like Espeon and anything. Espeon blocks nasty things and sets up Dual Screens which keeps everyone alive...

Fortunato

Sic Transit Gloria
well when I make a core I tend to just pick 2 mons that fit fairly well together one a physical check the other a special and then a third mon that covers their butts. One core that I find to be extremely fun to use and rather effective as well is Quag-Cele-Rachi they all fit together nicely and cover a large portion of the top threats in todays metagame. I'm far to lazy to post sets and what not so you'll have to figure those out yourself ;).

Dragonite0217

Dragonite + Magnezone. Lure Steels with dragonite, bluffing a choice outrage/ dragon claw. Then switch magnezone, kill the steel, then the DDNite can spam outrage. I've used this on random matchup to great success.

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
A nice core is probably a Politoed or Crobat lead (Both weak to electric) with a Electivire to help back it up with Motor Drive!

Zachmac

Regigigas works well with paralysis spreaders. It can confuse ray/substitute stall while fighting a paralyzed team.

A nice core is probably a Politoed or Crobat lead (Both weak to electric) with a Electivire to help back it up with Motor Drive!
With politoed, it would be easier to have Electivire pull of a mix sweep with Thunder. It has the special attack to do it.

Gyarados is also good, but a bit more obvious. It also wouldn't be a lead, but it doesn't have to be, does it?

irock245

She wants it
bump c'mon people add more opinions.

Cuddlebuns

Bronzong and Rotom-W make a good defensive core, and they can help in deterring the opponent's prediction skills for a bit, since they can both be either physically or specially defensive or balanced. That can help you play some mind games for a bit.

Big Beluga

u r a fatty
SR Tyranitar + Jellicent + Skarmory is a pretty effective spike stacking core that ive seen on numerous teams.

Cometk

west side
in uu, sr rhyperior + subsplit rotom beat the two most common spinners in donphan and hitmontop.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
I love my Core of Scarf Hydregion,ChestoRest Volcarona and Agility Metagross. They cover each others weaknesses very well and can all do some massive damage as well or even threaten to sweep in Volcarona and Metagrosses' case,Hydregion is mainly just an anti lead and late game revenge killer. The sets are on my RMT named "Team HydreRonaGross" probably on page two or three by now.