• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

{Competitive Discussion} Infernape

windsong

WEST SIDE
You have the wrong CB set.

Infernape@Choice Band
Jolly | Blaze
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Mach Punch / Thunderpunch

U-Turn (which you're missing in the set listed in the OP) is probably the single most important move Infernape has, haha, since it lets it beat a ton of common switch ins or at least hit them for a truckload of damage and lets Infernape pivot out. Mach Punch is in general the better option than Thunderpunch for the last slot, because for the most part, the stuff Ape would be Thunderpunching is better U-Turned out on, and even with Exca gone, Mach Punch is by no means useless, still hitting important stuff like Terakion and Cloyster.

Creeper

om nom nom
You have the wrong CB set.

Infernape@Choice Band
Jolly | Blaze
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def

- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-Turn
- Mach Punch / Thunderpunch

U-Turn (which you're missing in the set listed in the OP) is probably the single most important move Infernape has, haha, since it lets it beat a ton of common switch ins or at least hit them for a truckload of damage and lets Infernape pivot out. Mach Punch is in general the better option than Thunderpunch for the last slot, because for the most part, the stuff Ape would be Thunderpunching is better U-Turned out on, and even with Exca gone, Mach Punch is by no means useless, still hitting important stuff like Terakion and Cloyster.

KK, fixing, adding new sets.

Soperman

The One and Only
Why HP Dragon on NP set? Why not Ice?

Also, why no SD set?

Infernape @ Muscle Band
Jolly
252 Atk 252 Spd 4 Def
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- U-turn/ThunderPunch

Muscle Band over LO because it has SD anyway. Last attack is sort of anything goes, i just thought these two moves were the best for the set

Also Work Up is a viable mixed option, albeit gimmicky.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!
Bro, you need to list the SD and mixed sets.

I edited HP Dragon to HP Ice in the OP because I'm a power abusing mod. HP Ice allows you to beat Landorus, Gliscor, Dragonite and Salamence at +0 while letting Infernape have some degree of offensive coverage in the Rain. HP Dragon has good neutral coverage but between Fire Blast / Focus Blast / HP Ice it literally hits nothing in the game harder.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I mean, most Dragons are Ice-weak, and far more things have Ice weaknesses than Dragon weaknesses....

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!
I edited HP Dragon to HP Ice in the OP because I'm a power abusing mod. HP Ice allows you to beat Landorus, Gliscor, Dragonite and Salamence at +0 while letting Infernape have some degree of offensive coverage in the Rain. HP Dragon has good neutral coverage but between Fire Blast / Focus Blast / HP Ice it literally hits nothing in the game harder.

Can you also add in SD and mixed?

Though when reckless comes out, Emboar can probably smash heads in lower tiers with a scarf. I don't think you should judge users for what pokemon they like. If you must say it, say Infernape>Embaor.

Though if we do judge users for the pokemon in the usernames, Magikarprules>All.That fire type with good special attack knows flamethrower! It must be a Zoroark in disguise! Who would give there pokemon a STAB move with 95 power and 100% accuracy? That's a whole 5 less power than earthquake!

Not really much of a giveaway.

Why thank you.

I love Infernape. Good offensive stats, and a vast movepool of high-powered attacks. Also, as AudinoGlitch said, it is a great illusion for Zoroark. I've used the combo before, and it did well.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Mach Punch/Close Combat
- Thunderpunch

Zoroark @ Life Orb/Air Balloon
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Infernape, I have seen very few of you in 5th gen. I use a lead even though it's not as great as it use to be but it still works well.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
EVs: 156 Atk / 100 SpA / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Stealth Rock
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Taunt

Simple stuff, set up Stealth Rock, 2 STABs and filler. This works really well as weather destroyer. It KO's max HP Tyranitar with Close Combat, 2-hit KO's Politoed and Ninetails with Close Combat, and takes away about 53% from Hippowdon with Overheat or can cripple it with Taunt (allowing my Wobbuffet to do its thing).

I do consider replacing Taunt with something else such as the odd Acrobatics, U-turn, or Stone Edge. I can't decide which one works best yet but that may be due to the fact that the combination of Taunt with Wobbuffet works incredibly well.

All in all, Infernape is a good Pokemon, it's just doesn't fit well into the generation 5 meta-game.

Also, how could people forget Scarfnape?

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/52 SAtk/204 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Thunderpunch/Mach Punch/Stone Edge

Overheat is your most powerful STAB attack. U-turn is useful for scouting purposes. Close Combat for things like Tyranitar and Scrafty, while the last spot should be taliored to your teams needs. Can also go full physical with Flare Blitz/CC/U-turn/Filler, a spread of 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd and a Jolly nature.

Creeper

om nom nom
Also, how could people forget Scarfnape?

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk/52 SAtk/204 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Thunderpunch/Mach Punch/Stone Edge

Overheat is your most powerful STAB attack. U-turn is useful for scouting purposes. Close Combat for things like Tyranitar and Scrafty, while the last spot should be taliored to your teams needs. Can also go full physical with Flare Blitz/CC/U-turn/Filler, a spread of 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd and a Jolly nature.

Because Scarf Terrakion exsists.

paracelsus

this is the set I used to get my black card

Att. Sweeper EVS, 31 Ivs in att. and sp.,

moveset:

Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Stone Edge
mach punch
Item: Focus Sash
Use close combat to sweep, with stone edge to cover flying type. once they force u to use the focus sash, use mach punch to finish a very weakened pokemon, or flare blitz to take advantage of infernapes blaze. U can take out at least 2/3 of you opponents party in most cases

Creeper

om nom nom
this is the set I used to get my black card

Att. Sweeper EVS, 31 Ivs in att. and sp.,

moveset:

Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Stone Edge
mach punch
Item: Focus Sash
Use close combat to sweep, with stone edge to cover flying type. once they force u to use the focus sash, use mach punch to finish a very weakened pokemon, or flare blitz to take advantage of infernapes blaze. U can take out at least 2/3 of you opponents party in most cases

This is very similar to the SD set, except SD is better.