1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Competitive play without stealth rock

Discussion in 'Older Gens' started by Ilan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Ilan

Ilan Well-Known Member

We all know stealth rock the vain of all the *4 weak to it.. now how would the game without stealth rock look like?

yanmega OU? volcarona candidate to ubers?

I wonder why rock? why no "water strike" or "thick grass" (I mean like other elements of stealth rock)

rock is a type resisted only by 3 types! making a serious hit (of 12.5%) on anybody who o and till not rapid spinned (another impact starmie UU? more choice spec starmie?) you will be hit every single pokemon from 6.25% to 50% damage every time you switch.

So what will happen if SR wasn't there? would other elemental types of SR would come out one day if yes which would make the biggest impact?

disscuss

2. Ice Blue Dragon

Ice Blue Dragon I belive I can fly!

I'd stealth rock was not ever invented it would of changed the meta game drastically. Typlison would be used more, Dragonite would be nearly unopposed, sweeper/stall/phazers/walls would have a harder time doing their jobs. It would be a completely different meta game.

3. Zachmac

Zachmac Crystalline Guardian

I wouldn't call D-nite nearly unstoppable without it, but tougher.

DW Charizard is the sun would be a monster, though.

Yanmega wouldn't have what it takes to be OU, though. Also, whenever I use SR, I don't really see any drastic changes.

4. Psypert

Psypert Well-Known Member

Not to mention the fact many Flyings/fires/Ice would increase in usage andSash abusing Team will be more viable (and annoying) also Spinner would be rarely used since flying and levitating mons would be inmune to the other 2 Hazards, and most leadfs job would be then set up Weather or Screens, that´s it

5. Zachmac

^Actually, ice types wouldn't increase much. It's a terrible typing to have, even without SR, it has no immunities, only one resist, and plenty of weaknesses.

6. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

Stealth Rock was kinda necessary since otherwise there's no entry hazards that hit a Flying foe, but GF's design was a bit flawed since it discriminates on several type combos instead of being based on layers like the others. Dragonite would probably make ubers since you would pretty much always have Multiscale intact on the first turn.

7. Zachmac

My team doesn't use stealth rock, and dragonite hardly ever gives it problems.

No, it wouldn't be Uber.

8. Dragonicwari

Dragonicwari Artistically angry

It would depend on your team, you obviously can counter everything, but a choice scarfed starmie using ice beam could probably still 1-2hko it

9. floatzel98

floatzel98 → s o a r i n g

i don't think the game would drastically change without stealth rocks. maybe some pokemon would more viable to use like charizard and whatever else. it would be cool to have another kind of entry hazard.

10. TerraWolf

TerraWolf Banned

Knocking 1/8 HP off of D-Nite, which runs Multiscale better then Kenyan runs marathons? Saving grace on a team

11. kaiser soze

kaiser soze Reading ADWD

1/4th :p 10

12. Cometk

Cometk west side

no sry u can't

nite dances as you switch in

you ice beam for 50% as nite dances again

nite roosts to full health, you ice beam for 25%

nite dclaws, you're dead, and nite is at a healthy 80% and +2 / +2

you're swept gg

13. Aqua Tyrant Tysuya

Aqua Tyrant Tysuya Overwhelming Dragons

Well with out it any FLY types or Pkmn with Levitate could enter with out fear but it seems little thought was put into a hazard to punish these Pkmn,cuz of SR I can no longer run my Charizard unless I want him at half health.To end there should have been more thought into a hazard for FLY and Levi Pkmn.

14. Vandslaux

Vandslaux Well-Known Member

Lugia in DW Ubers would be unopposed.

15. Netz

Netz Moxiee!

It would make Volcarona and Dragonite overpowered.

16. Vandslaux

Vandslaux Well-Known Member

Also:
    Donphan wouldn't be #1 in UU.
    Focus Sash would be a broken item.
    Flying-types would take no damage fropm entry hazards.

17. Victory

Victory Banned

Lots of Pokemon could be used and some pokemon would become Uber (Volcarona) I think more Fire Types would be used, as well as flying types

18. Dragonicwari

Dragonicwari Artistically angry

Which leaves it with 2 attacking moves, pick whichever 2 you want, their is a type combo that can wall it (and possibly phase it)

19. Ice Blue Dragon

Ice Blue Dragon I belive I can fly!

I would say that dragon claw and earthquake/fire punch would give it decent coverage, and at +2 in attack and speed, even lower power moves would hit hard and fast.

20. Ísjaki

Ísjaki Flood Of Red

Articuno would become more viable in lower tiers