• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates 5.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannery

Fire PkMn Trainer
there's no way to tell from the stats, but since it's level 65 it means that it has been in fights, and thus it has EV's. Go to the Sunnyshore sitcker market and ask the lady when your Electivire is in the front spot. if she gives you a ribbon, your Electivire is full on EV's. It's gained 15 levels, so it probobally is.

Sorry, but I think that Electivire is scrwed. It's also from PBR, so it's probobally trash. It would take a lot of Soft Reseting to get a good Electivire from PBR, and if you had you would have posted it's IV's, which you didn't. So I'm pretty certain that this Electivire isn't gonna work out.

If he absolutely wants to use this one he can still use Berries and try to put back some EVs at the right places.

But personnally, I'd just get another one. =/
You're right here.

desyple

rank 10 ranger
If he absolutely wants to use this one he can still use Berries and try to put back some EVs at the right places.

But personnally, I'd just get another one. =/
You're right here.
i have another ut pbr electivire that im planning on getting ev trained but i was traded this one told that it was already ev trained. r u guys sure u cant tell if its ev trained??

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Not without knowing it's IV's. You probobally could enter it's stats into an IV calculator and see which stats are obscenely high. Simply saying 'This is EV trained' doesn't mean it's trained in the right stats. I'll go ahead and do the calculator thing for you and edit in the results

EDIT: Unless the electivire you got has perfect HP and Spe, I'm going to have to say that the person who gave this to you scamed you. It has bad IV's, and it has random training, meaning that whoever trained this did it randomly and without thought. Restart on this one. Electivire is better as a mixed attacker anyway, meaning that you should probobally shoot for a different nature.

Last edited:

Ism

'Kay, my theoretical Swampert.

Item:???
Nature: Brave
EVs: ???/???/???
Moves:
Rest
Sleep Talk
Hammer Arm
Ice Punch

Uh, I tried to be creative...?

Darkrai's Nightmare

Right.How about this Ninjask?:

Ninjask
Item: Maybe a berry to weaken Rock/Flying/Fire?
Nature: ?
EVs: 252 ATK/ ???/ ???

X-scissor
Dig
Giga Drain/Solarbeam
Swords Dance/U-Turn/Arial Ace/Roost

Comments?

Dexprozius

Tadashi said:
Aggron @ Lefties
Rock Head
- Curse
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Avalanche

I'd prefer that set for Aggron. In your case, I'd put in 252 ATK, 252 HP and 6 DEF, or you can take some HP EV's and put them into Defence, it's your call.

I was really set on Metal Burst =/, so in that case do you think I should Stone Edge for the last slot? or Iron head? That way i'll have a STAB. Or should i go with the more reliable Double-Edge or EQ? ~More to the point, is there a real reason Not to run Metal Burst? I was very intrigued by it, and at the same time running that set allows Avalanche to be nearly guaranteed max dmg.

In terms of EVs I was thinking a bulky aggron would be more useful than more Def making him semi-physical wall. The bulk would allow him to take more of a hit from spAs and Atks, or atleast that was my idea.

Tadashi said:
Now, I'd like someone's opinion on a Gengar I've recently aquired.

Shiny Gengar, female
Nature: Mild (+SA -D)
Item: Leftovers
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Toxic

Thinking of replacing Toxic, but what with? Any suggestions would be quite appreciated~

Ive always used gengar and enjoyed him. I had lacked any psychic moves on my team so i swapped focus blast for Phychic. In Toxic's slot i used Hypnosis as i had no other sleepers. I think in your case as said before:
Keaton said:
^Since he has a -Def nature why not run Explosion with a handful of ATK EV's?
Explosion would run nicer since even before his -Def he couldnt take hits anyway. Just throwing the sleep option out there for you. I dont see toxic being useful on Gengar as hes meant to be fast and crippling, not surviving hits and wearing ppl down slow.

JRCxyz said:
That's really an understatement, Explosion > all non-banned *cough* Double Team *cough* moves and all moves not called Spore/Dark Void

Why is Double Team banned?... Doesnt seem that broken to me.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
^Since he has a -Def nature why not run Explosion with a handful of ATK EV's?

Hmm, that's not a half bad idea. Thanks ^_^

Dexprozius said:
I was really set on Metal Burst =/, so in that case do you think I should Stone Edge for the last slot? or Iron head? That way i'll have a STAB. Or should i go with the more reliable Double-Edge or EQ? ~More to the point, is there a real reason Not to run Metal Burst? I was very intrigued by it, and at the same time running that set allows Avalanche to be nearly guaranteed max dmg.

Well, if you're set on keeping Metal Burst, you can't have Iron Head in there. The reason I suggested Avalanche over Metal Burst is because that Ice moves get far more coverage than Steel ones, even with STAB. Even though these two moves basically do the exact same thing, it'd be better to go with something that will give you extra coverage. Coupled with EQ and Stone Edge, you can hit many types for (at least) neutral damage.

Why is Double Team banned?... Doesnt seem that broken to me.

It's banned because of people who were incapable of dealing with Pokémon who run it. Even though it comes down to pure luck, certain Pokémon out there, like Umbreon and Dusclops, can run a pure walling set and take down at least a few Pokémon who aren't equipped to deal with it. I found such an Umbreon in the Tower tonight, and it outstalled me into using Struggle.

Basically, I hate that move, because it can create a lot of hax, and no one likes having it used against them, so that's why it's banned.

Shiznaz

Regi-Worshipper
Nobody has replied yet to my post on page 21. I feel insignificant. D:

3lmi

pimping aint easy
The main reason why you didn't get it rated is because you put a team. Next time make a thread to show your team.

Infernape@Fist plate/Focus Sash
Jolly 252atk/speed 6hp
Close Combat
Flare Blitz
Grass Knot
U-Turn

It is okay, Grass Knot is more useful than Mach Punch

Bronzong@Leftovers/Macho Brace Levitate
Relaxed 252HP 128/128 def/sp.def
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball
Hypnosis
Explosion/Earthquake

Last edited:

desyple

rank 10 ranger
k i used the iv calculator provided by this site and this is what i got:

Electivire, Adamant LvL65 - HP: 192 (31/0) | Atk: 203 (31/0) | Def: 107 (23/0) | Sp.Atk: 124 (15/0) | Sp.Def: 131 (24/0) | Spd: 148 (31/0) | Hidden Power: 49, STEEL | Format: stat (IV/EP)

im new to understanding evs and ivs so can someone explain to me if these are good or bad and what they mean in general in terms of training.

desyple

rank 10 ranger
k i used the iv calculator provided by this site and this is what i got:

Electivire, Adamant LvL65 - HP: 192 (31/0) | Atk: 203 (31/0) | Def: 107 (23/0) | Sp.Atk: 124 (15/0) | Sp.Def: 131 (24/0) | Spd: 148 (31/0) | Hidden Power: 49, STEEL | Format: stat (IV/EP)

im new to understanding evs and ivs so can someone explain to me if these are good or bad and what they mean in general in terms of training.

lkelder0511

To smogon (Y)
OK this set is probably fail but o well who cares I tried lol Also a little help on the evs would be nice

gyarados.png

Gyarados@Leftovers
Brave? idk lol
Hp 252/Spa 120/Atk 136-randmom evs
-Fire blast
-Earthquake
-Sub
-Toxic

ok well I read in smogon that Fire blast can 2HKO skarm a common swich in and deal massive damage to fortress and scizor. so that is why fire blast is there. Now for earthquake it is there so this thing isn't totally walled by empoleon and if sub is used on an obvious switch can kill the fast frail electric switch ins expecting a bulky DD gyra. Toxic is there to ware down the common counter like hp electric vaporeon, hp electric slowbro, calm mind suicune to name a few that fire blast cant take down or even sratch wich I realise is most things except skarm really. I know this set is completley shut down by sleep talkers and it is a bit of a gimmick but meh I want to do something new​

Also im getting tired of arkeis art does anyone know where I can find anythinig else?

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
I was fighting a kecleon and my shiney magmort use hidden power

it was Ice. awesome! my linnone found earthquake

I want to teach it to Vire

but lonely nature

t-bolt
t-punch
brick break
ice punch

Awesome A

The Gameshark
Arkeis' Gyarados is probobally one of their best, but they do suck. A lot of people use pokemonelite2000 or something for straight up sprites.

And that set is pretty fail... to get by Skarmory it's much better to just run a Taunt set and laugh when it can't do anything while you set up. Gyarados' special attack is so bad that there really isn't much point in using it. DD + Waterfall does fine damage to Scizor who really can't hurt you anyway. And all those counters will kill you as you Toxic them, meaning you traded your Gyarados to poison a pokemon with big defenses and the ability to heal themselves. And in SUicune's case, usually the ability to Rest off the stuatus anyway. Substitue scouting works great on Gyarados, however. There's somewhat potential, but a more focused set is probobally better. Sub/Toxic is probobally the best thing your set has going for it. Oh and you are totally walled by Dragons, some of which are designed to kill you (T-bolt Latias).

So you can either go with a Sweeper Gyarados, or a Bulky (Maybe ResTalk) Gyarados.

For the sweeper, I use:

Gyarados @Leftovers/Life Orb
Jolly // Intimidate
88 HP/252 Atk/168 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Taunt/Subsitute/Stone Edge/Ice Fange/Toxic?
~Waterfall
~Earthquake

This Gyarados can outspeed any Jolteon after a DD (meaning that you don't have to predict with EQ anymore!) because of the Jolly nature and the 168 EV's. 252 Atk is next, to max out power, with the rest in HP for some extra padding. The choice of item is hard; Life Orb has more power (And it has a chance of 1HKOing Zapdos after a boost) while leftovers helps with switching and setting up. If you choose Life Orb, go ahead and go with Stone Edge or Ice Fang, while if you use leftovers it's better to go with a support move. It also happens that the 88 HP EV's hit an optimum leftovers number. Waterfall/EQ is the best coverage Gyarados can get in two moves, although it leaves you powerless against a Salamence or Latias. Oh and Toxic was just because theoretically, if you use Toxic the first time you switch in, you can weaken your counter signifigantly. That's actually a good idea on your set, so it's a n option if you feel like that was working out for you. Sub works in a similar way, because instead of poisoning your counter, you get a free hit on it, which can be just as devastating, especially for SR weak things like Zapdos and Salamence.

For Bulky Gyarados, use:

Gyarados @Leftovers
Impish // Intimidate
216 HP/64 Atk/184 Defence/44 Spe
~Waterfall
~Ice Fang/Stone Edge/Fire Fange/Earthquake
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

Credit to Kingdrom for the set. Gyarados makes a fine defender due to his typing and Intimidate. He can counter a whole range of attackers, from Outrage Salamence to Swords Dance Lucario. The HP gets a lefties number +1, meaning you can switch into stealth rocks 5 times. The Spe EV's beat something signifigant, but I don't remember exactly what... 184 defence is also signifigant, I'm fairly certain it's to survive a Salamence's outrage after Intimidate iirc. The Atk EV's (iirc) are a guraunteed 1HKO on Salamence with Ice Fang. I will check all these with a calculator in a bit, just to be sure. Or maybe Kingdrom will come in and explain this better than I ever could! Ice Fang is for Salamence, EQ is for Lucario... although in Lucario's case Waterfall does big damage after a defence drop from Close Combat anyway, so Ice Fang or Stone Edge is recommended. Fire Fang is even an option to be a great Scizor counter, but again, like Earthquake, this leaves you helpless against Dragons.

Hope this helps!

3lmi

pimping aint easy
Salamence.... interesting.

dpmfa373.png

Salamence@Life Orb
Rash
Trait: Intimidate
200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe

~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Blast
~ Roost

Outrage for STAB, Earthquake and Fire Blast for coverage. Roost is to heal Life Orb and Outrage damage. Salamence is one of the BEST dragon types.

Blue Ace

Pokemon is Dead
The Spe EV's beat something signifigant, but I don't remember exactly what...

They allow Gyarados to outspeed Cresselia, Suicune and No Speed Rotom, all of which are counters to Gyarados, so it's fairly pointless in aiming to outspeed your own counters, especially when this Gyarados cannot to do much to them.

So they're not significant really, and even Kingdrom himself said they are expendable.

It's similiar to how Smogon's old standard Tentacruel spread used 36 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Max Speed Tyranitar, and as you can see now Smogon has pulled out that invesetment.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tentacruel

Those extra 44 Evs should go into Defense or Attack as it would prove to be more effective and useful.

Last edited:

warnerbroman

the Blue trainer
I was fighting a kecleon and my shiney magmort use hidden power

it was Ice. awesome! my linnone found earthquake

I want to teach it to Vire

but lonely nature

t-bolt
t-punch
brick break
ice punch
I still don't know how ev placement work but