• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Galvantula@Life Orb
Nature: timid
EV's: 252 spe 252 sp. Atk 4 hp
Ability: Compoundeyes

-Thunder Wave
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-Substitute/Energy Ball

This poke can Thunder wave to slow opponents and deal serious damage. Substitute is a great move and helps set up thunder wave. Energy ball owns water/ground types.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Maybe HP ice for the last move.

Vandslaux

Could somebody help me on my Rain Tank Swampert set? I just bred and RC'ed this to 100 on my SS, so feel free to suggest SR, as I still have access to it. The set takes advantage of Swampert's typing, his natural bulk, and his high base 110 Attack.
Swampert @Leftovers
Brave
Torrent
252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def
Waterfall
Earthquake
Hammer Arm/Stealth Rock
Avalanche/Stealth Rock

Takes hits and deals them.

pseudo pro

Tirtouga @ Eviolite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 98 Atk/160 Def/252 Spd
Nature: Adamant
-Shell Smash
-Aqua Tail/Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earrthquake

With rain support, Shell Smash Tirtouga can actually be a threat even in OU. Waterfall is more accurate but Aqua Tail gives a bit more power (100% OHKO against Scarfed Tyranitar). Stone Edge is for a second STAB move while Earthquake is for coverage. The reason for 160 Def EVs is so Tirtouga can survive an Earthquake from an Adamant Excadrill.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
vandslaux: Looks solid, although Swampert is very outclassed this generation. That's probably about as good as Swampert is going to get, but Swampert isn't all that good anymore.

pseudo pro: Seems like Skill Link Cloyster still outclasses it. You're trying to make it bulky and defensive, and then break all those defenses so you can sweep. You should probably just pick one or the other; trying to overextend like that, expecially on a NFE Pokemon with Eviolite, will backfire more than it will work. Probably still usable, just not wise.

-----

Machamp @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Attack / 240 HP / 16 Special Defense
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
-Stone Edge

This varies from the traditional Dynamicpunch Lead Machamp in 3 ways. Number one, it uses Life Orb over Lum Berry; I have the Life Orb available to my team (no one else on the team has claimed it yet) and I'd rather have more power over getting out of status, but I can change it if the Lum Berry is critical. Number two, the 4 EVs put into Speed to outrun "max Speed Blissey" according to Smogon's writeup are put into Attack so it maxes out to 252; this seems like a small change to me, and I need him to have as much brute strength as possible to make up for his other shortcomings. Number three, Fire Punch over Payback; Dark and Fighting gives unresisted coverage, and Machamp certainly has the Speed to utilize Payback, but I've been wracking my brain for the last few days trying to come up with something to fill the last slot on my team, and a physical Pokemon with access to the type combination Fighting-Fire-Ice-Rock is what I determined I need.

Machamp @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Attack / 240 HP / 16 Special Defense
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
-Stone Edge

This varies from the traditional Dynamicpunch Lead Machamp in 3 ways. Number one, it uses Life Orb over Lum Berry; I have the Life Orb available to my team (no one else on the team has claimed it yet) and I'd rather have more power over getting out of status, but I can change it if the Lum Berry is critical. Number two, the 4 EVs put into Speed to outrun "max Speed Blissey" according to Smogon's writeup are put into Attack so it maxes out to 252; this seems like a small change to me, and I need him to have as much brute strength as possible to make up for his other shortcomings. Number three, Fire Punch over Payback; Dark and Fighting gives unresisted coverage, and Machamp certainly has the Speed to utilize Payback, but I've been wracking my brain for the last few days trying to come up with something to fill the last slot on my team, and a physical Pokemon with access to the type combination Fighting-Fire-Ice-Rock is what I determined I need.

This Generation as a lead, Machamp really does need Lumber Berry and Bullet Punch more than ever.

With Thundurous' and Tornadus' Prankster, Volcaron's Flame Bofy, and Breloom's Spore, Lum Berry pretty much has to be there.

Bullet Punch is one of Machamp's main niches as a lead. You will loose too many 2HKO's without it.

Also, you need to have a reliable 2nd attack for those Sub/Disable Gengar's that seem popular right now. If you really don't think you need Payback, you need Bullet Punch more than ever to not risk getting 2HKO'd.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
This Generation as a lead, Machamp really does need Lumber Berry and Bullet Punch more than ever.

With Thundurous' and Tornadus' Prankster, Volcaron's Flame Bofy, and Breloom's Spore, Lum Berry pretty much has to be there.

Bullet Punch is one of Machamp's main niches as a lead. You will loose too many 2HKO's without it.

Also, you need to have a reliable 2nd attack for those Sub/Disable Gengar's that seem popular right now. If you really don't think you need Payback, you need Bullet Punch more than ever to not risk getting 2HKO'd.

He wouldn't actually be a lead. That concept, while still necessary for a more centralized team, isn't really still viable with Team Preview. He just is a strong, physical Pokemon that can learn Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Stone Edge and a STAB'd Fighting move; he's filling a hole in a team because there's nothing else I need to put there, so I'm covering some weaknesses. I'd be fine with changing the item if you still think that's necessary, but I don't know where I'd fit Bullet Punch, as all four of the moves are pretty necessary. Also, if I got SubDisabled, I'd probably just switch; no reason to be pitting a Machamp against a Gengar in the first place.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Meet the best Troll EVER!

Trollslass.

Spr_5b_478.png

Froslass @ Brightpowder/ Lum Berry
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Spe/ 100 Def/ 158 Sp. Def
Nature: Timid
-Spite
-Thunder Wave
-Pain Split
-Blizzard/ Spikes/ Destiny Bond/ Substitute/ Toxic/ Confuse Ray/ Disable/ Taunt/ Double Team (for random battles)

*Froslass is Trolltastic! The Trolliest of Trolls with a side order of Troll. With Brightpowder and Snow Cloak, Froslass's base evasion is about the same as Stage 1, making it hard to hit. Now all it needs is a set of trolltastic moves! Well, let's start with Spite since it reduces the move last used by the opponent's PP by 4, which you usually know since Froslass has a base 110 Speed, which is very fast. If the opponent is faster, then cripple it with Thunder Wave, and if you're faster than it, Cripple it anyways, you're a Troll, goddammit! If you do eventually get hit, which you can probably take with your EVd Bulk, then use Pain Split to recover your lost HP and make your opponent lose theirs, double Trolltastic!

And now we come to the final move, the last slot that can be filled with endless possibilities of Trolliness. Blizzard can hurt alot in Hail, especially since it's STAB, Spikes makes a fun move to have and your opponent can't even Spin it away because of your perfect Troll typing. Destiny Bond is your option if you are subjected to dying, so you can take your opponent with you, like a good Troll should! Substitute blocks Status and deals with the occasional hit, it also allows more Pain Splitting. Toxic is very useful for Trolling around as it deals nicely with the opponent. Disable messes the opponent up badly. Taunt is to not get Taunted yourself, Confuse Ray acts as another Status that makes the opponent fume with rage when he hurts itself continuously (I find that it's very trolly since when the adversary doesn't hurt itself, it usually misses). Double Team is to ensure that the Trolling is perfect, but due to Evasion Clause it's not legal, but I use it in Random Matchup.*

I'm bumping this up since the only rate it got was a comment about how Brightpowder was banned, and I'm not even sure it is...

WinterChevalier

How may I help?
If you're only using it for random match up, Brightpowder is fine. If it's by Smogon/PO's standards, than yes, it's banned. As for the moveset, I'd go with something along the lines of:

- ThunderWave
- Spikes
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/Blizzard

IMO, I prefer Ice Beam over SB and Blizzard, due to it hitting move things in the meta super effectively, and having more PP than Blizzard, which makes a difference against anything that wants to try and stall you in return. Also, if it's for Smogon tiers, I'd go with either Leftovers or Lum Berry as the item. Leftovers for obvious healing, and Lum for incase you get hit with a Toxic if they're lucky enough for you to be not subbed up and get it through your Snow Cloak hax. I think the EVs are fine as well~

Vandslaux

As in, Quagsire>Swampy? I don't have access to DW Wooper atm. Also, Pert has the highest Attack of his Water/Ground brethren. Whiscash is rather slow, even after a DD, in this metagame, I have nothing to lure Water attacks for a Gastrodon, and Quagsire lacks power with a mediocre base 85 Attack. He's worse Specially, with a base 65 Sp. Atk.

He wouldn't actually be a lead. That concept, while still necessary for a more centralized team, isn't really still viable with Team Preview. He just is a strong, physical Pokemon that can learn Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Stone Edge and a STAB'd Fighting move; he's filling a hole in a team because there's nothing else I need to put there, so I'm covering some weaknesses. I'd be fine with changing the item if you still think that's necessary, but I don't know where I'd fit Bullet Punch, as all four of the moves are pretty necessary. Also, if I got SubDisabled, I'd probably just switch; no reason to be pitting a Machamp against a Gengar in the first place.

Team viewer only makes suici4 leads less viable. I run a team woth Rotom-W, Jirachi, Tyranitar, and Deoxys-S, all of which use their lead sets from Gen 4, and they do fine. Even the one's that don't lead.

Bullet Punch should allow you to beat Gengar, even if Machamp and Gengar are in the lead positions, without needing Payback. Ice Punch and Stone Edge provide near equal coverage, aside from ground types. Machamp is so slow that alot of ground types can still outspeed, so you are risking getting Machamp KO'd if you stay in (and probably not get the OHKO anyways).

I'd loose Ice Punch in favor of Bullet Punch, unless you are afraid of Flygon in OU (Gliscor will beat you regaurdless).

Blayd

Grrrr!
How about this as a Weather counter?

Gastrodon holding Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Defense, 128 Special Defense
Moves:
1) Rain Dance
2) Recover
3) Toxic
4) Earthquake

This guy helps to counter weather. He walls and toxic stalls most pokemon commonly found in a rain team, with the exception of Ludicolo; against sun he'll set up rain and against sand he has EQ to deal with excadrill and rain to put the others out of action. Recover is for recovery.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
That's a good idea! Watch out for grass types in sun though.

archeopsdan

once again ive gone looking into ramdom pokemon and ive found this

;124;@life orb/ choice items
Dry skin/fore warn, timid
252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-ice beam
-psychic/ psyshock
-nasty plot/ energy ball/ focus blast/ shadow ball
-nasty plot/ energy ball/ focus blast/ shadow ball

a choice or life orb sweeper, ice beam and psychic/psyshock are for stab, then nasty plot if running life orb, other wise run any of them moves for added coverage ( suggest focus blast)

Blayd

Grrrr!
How about this as a Weather counter?

Gastrodon holding Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Defense, 128 Special Defense
Moves:
1) Rain Dance
2) Recover
3) Toxic
4) Earthquake

This guy helps to counter weather. He walls and toxic stalls most pokemon commonly found in a rain team, with the exception of Ludicolo; against sun he'll set up rain and against sand he has EQ to deal with excadrill and rain to put the others out of action. Recover is for recovery.

Gastrodon actually makes an excellent Rain counter, but running Earth Power over Earthquake would make better use of Gastro's ability Storm Drain. I would also recommend Scald over Rain Dance, since many Sun abusers are Grass types that would kill Gastro before it had the chance to Rain Dance. In other words, Gastro's probably not going to be countering Sun any time soon. As for Sand, I'm not entirely sure that Gastro can take on a SD Excadrill without some serious physical defense investment. And with less special defense investment, Gastro will have problems taking on the mainly special Rain abusers. Gastro is much better used as a Rain abuser, since it can stop many Rain teams cold.

It's still a good Pokemon. I'm glad to see someone putting it to good use. ^_^

Doctor Quark

Jack of All Trades
I'm brand new to competitive Pokemon battling in general, and I just got started building a team. I have a tendency to use Pokemon that are my favorites rather than just those that excel in battle. I could really use some help.

Gardevoir(Serenade) @TwistedSpoon
Ability: Trace
Nature: Bold
EVs: 255 Special Attack, 255 Speed
Moves
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Calm Mind

I should start by pointing out: I know I overdid it on the EVs, but I don't really have any way of fixing that right now. I gave Serenade her current moveset to have a lot of coverage, but also to serve as a major damage dealer. I gave also gave her Calm Mind in case the opportunity to set up for a sweep were to present itself. I'm not certain if I'm taking this in the right direction or not. I also decided to use Gardevoir out of personal choice, but I don't know if Alakazam or another Psychic type would do the job better. Any suggestions?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Gardevoir is typically used as either a Wish passer or a status platform, but she certainly can be used as a Calm Mind or Choice sweeper. The moveset and EVs you came up with are actually spot on for that role. Typically a Timid nature is better, but there's no way of fixing that now short of getting a new one. The only change I would suggest, short of completely repurposing her, would be to use a Life Orb instead of Twistedspoon. Twistedspoon will only give Psychic a 10% boost, and leave all her other moves out in the cold; Life Orb would give everything a 30% boost, at the cost of just a little HP each time you deal damage.

Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon too. :)

Doctor Quark

Jack of All Trades
Gardevoir is typically used as either a Wish passer or a status platform, but she certainly can be used as a Calm Mind or Choice sweeper. The moveset and EVs you came up with are actually spot on for that role. Typically a Timid nature is better, but there's no way of fixing that now short of getting a new one. The only change I would suggest, short of completely repurposing her, would be to use a Life Orb instead of Twistedspoon. Twistedspoon will only give Psychic a 10% boost, and leave all her other moves out in the cold; Life Orb would give everything a 30% boost, at the cost of just a little HP each time you deal damage.

Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon too. :)

Well, I feel good knowing that I'm mostly on-target. And thanks for the suggestion, although now I have to find a Life Orb before I can consider using one. Also, is it at all possible that the loss of HP due to the use of the Life Orb will compromise Gardevoir's defenses due to her relative frailty? Or does the increase in power more than compensate for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.