• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Double Dance 'HAX'orus. Wreck all stall team on ladder. EQ is for coverage and Outrage for STAB.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
looks good, standard set really.

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Body Slam / Rest

I was just looking around and realized that Venusaur had curse so i decided to try to make a class out of it. it has a rather poor physical movepool, but usually you can make do. rest can be used with the chesto berry to recover your health or use body slam and use leftovers for recovery.

Zachmac

looks good, standard set really.

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Body Slam / Rest

I was just looking around and realized that Venusaur had curse so i decided to try to make a class out of it. it has a rather poor physical movepool, but usually you can make do. rest can be used with the chesto berry to recover your health or use body slam and use leftovers for recovery.
Though if you're going to be using a Venasaur like this, why not use a Ferrothorn?

dildadonz

Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Double Dance 'HAX'orus. Wreck all stall team on ladder. EQ is for coverage and Outrage for STAB.

This is a standard set so there is no need to rate it.

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
Here's a set I saw a while back, I can't find it anywhere (Although I havn't looked very hard) I was wondering what you guys thought of it and some help on the final move choice.

First, however, some background. The set is going to be for a normal arceus, which is plagued by a few common things in ubers; Phazing by dragon tail, Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Phazing by roar / Whirlwind. The smogon set suggests safeguard in the additional options to counter the status but what is wrong with sub? Substitute would counter Dragon tailers such as lugia and giratina who both fail to break the sub. Substitute also, while not broken, protects arceus from deadly revenge killers such as scarf-ogre and rayquaza.

Arceus @ Leftovers
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Attk / 168 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw / Waterfall / X-scissor / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Shadow Claw

As stated previously, substitute is a vital component of this set allowing me to set up freely against some of the most common walls. Swords Dance and Extremespeed are obvious choices giving me a form of boost and and excellent STAB attack. The EV's allow me to outspeed Jolly Rayquaza with the rest being used to maximise attack and anything else thrown into HP to increase overall bulk. I am having problems at the moment with the coverage move, with only two attacks and one of them being normal I can't hit everything. But which one should I go for, please give your oppinions.

dildadonz

Here's a set I saw a while back, I can't find it anywhere (Although I havn't looked very hard) I was wondering what you guys thought of it and some help on the final move choice.

First, however, some background. The set is going to be for a normal arceus, which is plagued by a few common things in ubers; Phazing by dragon tail, Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Phazing by roar / Whirlwind. The smogon set suggests safeguard in the additional options to counter the status but what is wrong with sub? Substitute would counter Dragon tailers such as lugia and giratina who both fail to break the sub. Substitute also, while not broken, protects arceus from deadly revenge killers such as scarf-ogre and rayquaza.

Arceus @ Leftovers
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Attk / 168 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw / Waterfall / X-scissor / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Shadow Claw

As stated previously, substitute is a vital component of this set allowing me to set up freely against some of the most common walls. Swords Dance and Extremespeed are obvious choices giving me a form of boost and and excellent STAB attack. The EV's allow me to outspeed Jolly Rayquaza with the rest being used to maximise attack and anything else thrown into HP to increase overall bulk. I am having problems at the moment with the coverage move, with only two attacks and one of them being normal I can't hit everything. But which one should I go for, please give your oppinions.

Substitute on this pokemon is not worth it. Sure you can sub up easily but what can you do. Outspeeding is not a problem when your running a priority move at +.2 If your really worried about status use a lum berry as it can allow a free sword dance but is one time use. The thing is substitute makes you lose your supreme bulk and without recovery and substantial type coverage you will be killing yourself. Stirus berry could be used over leftoevers as you will most likely be 2HKO'd by stuff and immediate recovery is a plus as you need time to set up.

If you want you could try an ev spread of 132HP/ 252 Atk/ 124 Spd, this is to only outspeed positive base 90's without extremespeed since Rayquazza won't do as much damage without a STAB on extremespeed. This maximises bulk.

You can't stop being phazed and the lack of coverage is bad. You can be walled easily but your best bet is to use earthquake/ brick break to hit a majority of pokemon for neutral damage and use a team mate to cover that Giritina weakness such as Dialga or Darkrai. Shadow calw can be used but steel types will wall you all day and most importantly it doesn't KO giritina even at +2 which can then severly cripple you for the remained of the match.

Last edited:

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
Thankyou, although you are right I can still be phazed by roar / whirlwind, I cannot be by dragon tail. Dragon tail from lugiaw Giratina and support groudon fails to break my sub meaning by alternating sub and SD I can beat them all with a sub up to keep sweeping. I have tried the lum variant but it does mean you have to predict if they will phaze or status. I will still try the set out and I will also try your EV spread. Shadow claw will probably be my weapon of choice if not EQ. Since most steel barring dialga can hardly touch this thing thanks to sub blocking leech seed and gyro ball doing only 21% all it can do against me is spike while I reach +6 and probably 2hko it sub more than likely intact. Thankyou for your oppinion though and if the set doesnt work then I know who to PM to tell me you told me so. ^.^

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
This is total taunt bait and leech seed won't help that much. It's hp stat is way to low. Sure it gets spkies and leech seed but forretress is a much better user for just spikes. Toxic spikes is it's niche but tenatcruel is a better user as it resists steel/ fire/ water and has much better bulk and space for an item. Eviolite only has a niche on some pokemon in the link below.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3447726

Actually, less HP means more recovery with Leech Seed. It's the only reason people use Cottonee over Whimsicott. Roselia will have more special bulk than Roserade, but should never be used against physical attackers.

Given how it'll be easier for Roselia to come in on special attacks, Spikes can also be an option over Toxic Spikes. Sleep Powder can be used over Leech Seed, but it's illegal with Spikes.

BugZ

Look Left------>
although Meloetta isnt released yet, ive thought of some good move sets

Aria Form Meloetta
Meloetta@Leftovers
Serene Grace
Timid
252 HP 4 SAtk 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Psyshock
-HP Fire

This is of course a Calm Mind set that I assume would hit really hard, considering the fact that Calm Mind Latias hits super hard and Meloetta has much higher SAtk than her. Thunder with Serene Grace gets a 60% chance of Paralysis, allowing Melo to 2HKO most threats once they are Paralyzed. Psyshock does a ton of damage after Calm Mind and hits Blissey and Chansey, which is awesome. And lastly, there is HP Fire, which allows Melo to hit Jirachi, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor.

Pirouette Form Meloetta
Meloetta@Life Orb
Serene Grace
Naive
252 Atk 4 SAtk 252 Spe
-Relic Song
-Close Combat
-Shadow Claw
-Return

This set probably wouldn't be as effective as the other one, but who knows? Maybe it will be more effective. Anyway, Relic Song changes Melo's form to her Fighting type, physical based counterpart, whose stats are just as fearsome. Close Combat is silly strong on the physical form and gets STAB which along with Pirouette Melo's 128 base attack, will tear through anything that doesn't resist it. Shadow Claw gets perfect coverage with Close Combat, and has a high-crit ratio which will save you sometimes. Return is really powerful with a base 106 power and 159 power after STAB calculations, and is an option as an attack if you don't want to lower Meloetta's meager defenses with Close Combat.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
Meloetta-P would be a lot better if you didn't have to use relic song to change it's type, but if you use that then you can really go on a rampage with it's 128 spe stat, which let's it out speed a whole lot of the meta game. The Meloetta set looks okay, but it is harder to use thunder when you are not on a rain team. You could also runa set similar to jirachi like this. It could work in the rain.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Psyshock
- Thunder

It does have a very wide move pool though so you could use moves like focus blast, charge beam, grass knot, shadowball and eneryball but you wouldn't use them on this set.It's speed on this form though is only 90 which isn't the best, but by no means bad.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
;452; Drapion @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
-Taunt
-Protect
-Night Slash
-Toxic / Cross Poison

If you think this looks very similar to the standard setup for Gliscor then you're correct. Gliscor and Drapion both have very similar stats that are distributed in the exact same way, but Drapion has better defensive typing and lacks a weakness to Gliscor's multitude of common counters. Everyone has a Gliscor counter; not everyone has a Drapion counter. (this is for OU)

The set is a stallbreaker. Taunt stops stall and Toxic/Protect kills off stallers. Night Slash gets STAB and is much stronger than Crunch in the likely event of a crit. Cross Poison is slashed for the same reason, although I imagine Toxic is better. I'm mostly considering Cross Poison over Toxic for the likes of Breloom, who I'd use this set to counter. Breloom wouldn't be harmed by Toxic but would be weak to Cross Poison.

For what it's worth, I have unbelievable crit luck, which is why I like the whole Night Slash/Cross Poison/Sniper combination. I'm mostly looking for a sanity check on this.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
-Taunt
-Protect
-Night Slash
-Toxic / Cross Poison

If you think this looks very similar to the standard setup for Gliscor then you're correct. Gliscor and Drapion both have very similar stats that are distributed in the exact same way, but Drapion has better defensive typing and lacks a weakness to Gliscor's multitude of common counters. Everyone has a Gliscor counter; not everyone has a Drapion counter. (this is for OU)

The set is a stallbreaker. Taunt stops stall and Toxic/Protect kills off stallers. Night Slash gets STAB and is much stronger than Crunch in the likely event of a crit. Cross Poison is slashed for the same reason, although I imagine Toxic is better. I'm mostly considering Cross Poison over Toxic for the likes of Breloom, who I'd use this set to counter. Breloom wouldn't be harmed by Toxic but would be weak to Cross Poison.

For what it's worth, I have unbelievable crit luck, which is why I like the whole Night Slash/Cross Poison/Sniper combination. I'm mostly looking for a sanity check on this.

This actually looks pretty cool. I'm not sure what protect is for, maybe for extra lefties damage? I really don't see the point of it. I would go Taunt/Toxic/Night Slash/Cross Poison. Cross poison also has a high chance of a crit, so this could have some potential here :)

Eaglehawk

Banned
-Taunt
-Protect
-Night Slash
-Toxic / Cross Poison

Actually, everyone has a Drapion counter. It's called Earthquake.

Anyway, although it only has one weakness, Ground, it doesn't have that many resistances, which is the downfall. Why Gliscor is so popular is that he resists and is immune to two of the most common STABs in OU: Fighting and Ground, with a 125 Defense to back it up. Drapion, on the other hand, is weak to Ground and neutral against Fighting, meaning SD Gliscor, Terrakion, CB DNite, and CB Scizor can all hurt Drapion a lot. Basically, Drapion isn't built to Stallbreak in the Upper tiers and really functions as a fast and bulky lead.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
This actually looks pretty cool. I'm not sure what protect is for, maybe for extra lefties damage? I really don't see the point of it. I would go Taunt/Toxic/Night Slash/Cross Poison. Cross poison also has a high chance of a crit, so this could have some potential here :)

Protect stalls out more Toxic damage. I'll try your move set though; thanks.

Actually, everyone has a Drapion counter. It's called Earthquake.

Gliscor is 4x weak to Ice; Drapion is 2x weak to Ground. Drapion's Ground weakness is not comparable to Gliscor's utterly crushing Ice weakness. Furthermore, most Ground-type attacks are physical, which can be sloughed off, but most Ice-type attacks (Ice Beam, Blizzard, Hidden Power) are special and therefore pose even more of a threat to the physically defensive Gliscor.

I have a team to support Drapion's weaknesses. I understand the risks of running a Pokemon in a tier higher than its own. How does the set itself look for combating stall (i.e. not sweepers)?

Status
Not open for further replies.