• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I actually have another "Solo" pokemon to rate.

Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Hp
Timid nature (+ Spe, -Atk)
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

OK this thing kills a Starmie, but then gets wacked by an Infernape due to Hydro Pump missing, any advice on the item or moves?

Thought about switching to Jellicent, but that thing is countered by this one...plus i've used Jellicent at least 4 times with no success at all even on balanced teams.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
As for Metagross, I once used a similar set, only with a Choice Band, similar to the specially defensive CB Tyranitar set. It actually did an excellent job of tanking attacks from many Psychic types and nailing them with Meteor Mash or Pursuit, but I found that the lack of power was often a letdown. Hone Claws is a nice idea, but I'd go more offensive with it if I were to run a set like that. I'd also run Hammer Arm and Meteor Mash together no matter what; Zen Headbutt really does little besides getting STAB.

Thanks. Any recommendation on how to balance the Attack and Special Defense EVs? I want him to tank more so than really do out-right damage before setting up.

floatzel98

→ s o a r i n g
I actually have another "Solo" pokemon to rate.

Rotom-W@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Hp
Timid nature (+ Spe, -Atk)
-Volt Switch
-Hydro Pump
-Shadow Ball
-Trick

OK this thing kills a Starmie, but then gets wacked by an Infernape due to Hydro Pump missing, any advice on the item or moves?

Thought about switching to Jellicent, but that thing is countered by this one...plus i've used Jellicent at least 4 times with no success at all even on balanced teams.
The set it okay, but a Hidden power can be used for more coverage. Ice works well with Voltswitch, grass nails quagsire and gastrodon. Fire kills scizor and the team.

Psypert

Thanks. Any recommendation on how to balance the Attack and Special Defense EVs? I want him to tank more so than really do out-right damage before setting up.

In one of my early EV trained Metagross I recall putting 252 Atk 100 HP 152 Sp. Def I maximized attack but then I was to lazy so I gave it the 10 HP Ups and the 10 Zincs and gave the remaining EVs into Sp Def, it works well for me, also no hard feelings about the little percentage discussion, right?

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
In one of my early EV trained Metagross I recall putting 252 Atk 100 HP 152 Sp. Def I maximized attack but then I was to lazy so I gave it the 10 HP Ups and the 10 Zincs and gave the remaining EVs into Sp Def, it works well for me,

Is there any calculated significance behind those numbers or is it kind of "just 'cause" math?

also no hard feelings about the little percentage discussion, right?

That was you? You've changed your avatar.

We were saying the same thing, it's just you were using more lay terminology and I was using more rigorously correct terminology (as a computer science major, I'm kind of expected to). The only truly incorrect thing I remember you saying was that the only way to shrink a number by applying a percentage to it as a scalar was to have a negative percentage; even then I assume I was misunderstanding your intent.

Maxing attack and HP allows him to take hits overall the best. If you want to focus on Special Defense either take some EVs out of attack into SP def.

To live through two Specs Latios Surfs you can run 252 HP / 164 Attack / 92 Special Defense, though you may get 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Maxing attack and HP allows him to take hits overall the best. If you want to focus on Special Defense either take some EVs out of attack into SP def.

To live through two Specs Latios Surfs you can run 252 HP / 164 Attack / 92 Special Defense, though you may get 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks.

I was just trying it on PO with Careful and 252 HP/SpDef and he got 2HKO'd by Politoad several times. That's a little disconcerting...

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
I need an adamant Raticate set, or would jolly be more effective?

Psypert

I need an adamant Raticate set, or would jolly be more effective?

I would use Jolly since Raticate has Guts, but it also has Sucker Punch so Adamant can still be used for extra power

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Blissey @ Leftovers
252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Sp. Atk
- Toxic
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Thunder

Toxic helps Blissey crippling opponents, Protect combined with Leftovers let her restore HP over time, Softboiled just does that, and Thunder is used due to the prevalence of Drizzle and it hits water-types for super-effective damage.

Psypert

Blissey @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Thunder

Toxic helps Blissey crippling opponents, Protect combined with Leftovers let her restore HP over time, Softboiled just does that, and Thunder is used due to the prevalence of Drizzle and it hits water-types for super-effective damage.

Could work, and you wouldn't be threaten by Taunt, but a Ground type that is inmine to Poison (Gliscor fro example) will set up in your face, so watch out for that but good idea IMO would like to see this Blissey striking a Jellicent with Thunder after it used taunt

Psypert

Is there any calculated significance behind those numbers or is it kind of "just 'cause" math?

I didn't calculate anything since I don't know how to calculate how many EVs you need to survive "x" move, like I said I was bored of EV training so I just gave it the vitamins and put the rest in Sp. Def, but it works well for me

zerofield

i miss miror
Blissey @ Leftovers
- Toxic
- Protect
- Softboiled
- Thunder

Honestly, water-types are the least of blissey's problems, as most are vulnerable to toxic. If you really want to go anti-meta with blissey, flamethrower is usually a superior option, as scizor loves to volt-turn into blissey and taking that out can leave a big dent in a team based on offensive pressure. I usually find that the standard seismic toss applies to a wider range of situations though.

BugZ

Look Left------>
working on a Scizor Swords Dance set, not sure what quite to do though, but I was thinking this would probably work.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Technician
Adamant
248 HP 252 Atk 8 Sp. Def
-Swords Dance
-Bug Bite
-Bullet Punch
-Brick Break

let me know if I should change the EV spread. Keep in mind that I do want to keep it bulky enough to take some hits, but at the same time powerful enough to deliver hard hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.