• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverangel

Metal Fairy
The common rocky helmet users, Ferrothorn and Deoxys D, are better off being V-Created to death in the first place, so I don't need to get my HP down to 1 when I face them. I don't think anything else runs rocky helmet. Garchomp beats me, yes, but Cresselia can take a hit and retaliate with Ice Beam. I could also run Infernape (Blaziken in Ubers) to nail these threats to begin with.

Scarf Keldeo and Scarf Terrakion do get the chance to revenge me, but I can always switch out. Thanks for the Wobbuffet option, though. Wobba can counter faster Scarf users. However, this gives half my team a psychic typing (Cresselia, Victini, Wobbuffet), so it might not be ideal.

I'm actually thinking about using this set in an Ubers sun team (yeah, suck it, Kyogre). You pretty much get either sun or rain in one of those teams. The team members I'm thinking are...

Defensive Groudon
Swords Dance Blaziken
Dual Screens Xatu
Stall breaker Xatu
Healing Wish Latias
SubCM Latias
Calm Mind Arceus-Steel
Choice Scarf Garchomp
Support Cresselia
Cleric Espeon
Nasty Plot Darkrai
Custap Berry Wobbuffet

What do you think I should use as team members for Victini? You can also add in your own members. When I get a full team, I'll make a new thread on it.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
The common rocky helmet users, Ferrothorn and Deoxys D, are better off being V-Created to death in the first place, so I don't need to get my HP down to 1 when I face them. I don't think anything else runs rocky helmet. Garchomp beats me, yes, but Cresselia can take a hit and retaliate with Ice Beam. I could also run Infernape (Blaziken in Ubers) to nail these threats to begin with.

Scarf Keldeo and Scarf Terrakion do get the chance to revenge me, but I can always switch out. Thanks for the Wobbuffet option, though. Wobba can counter faster Scarf users. However, this gives half my team a psychic typing (Cresselia, Victini, Wobbuffet), so it might not be ideal.

I'm actually thinking about using this set in an Ubers sun team (yeah, suck it, Kyogre). You pretty much get either sun or rain in one of those teams. The team members I'm thinking are...

Defensive Groudon
Swords Dance Blaziken
Dual Screens Xatu
Stall breaker Xatu
Healing Wish Latias
SubCM Latias
Calm Mind Arceus-Steel
Choice Scarf Garchomp
Support Cresselia
Cleric Espeon
Nasty Plot Darkrai
Custap Berry Wobbuffet

What do you think I should use as team members for Victini? You can also add in your own members. When I get a full team, I'll make a new thread on it.

Wait. Isn't this the singles rate? Not the teambuilding help thread?

MAGAX

Symbol Hunter
Raikou @ Life orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 sp. atk 252 speed 6 sp. def
Nature: Rash
- Thunderbolt/Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Aurasphere
- Extremespeed/Shadow Ball

I am planning to build an anti-weather crown Raikou for the upcoming wifi double battle competition. I am still quite new to competitive battling so I need some help here. Rash nature is forced so i can't really do anything about it. Thunderbolt and Thunder for STAB but i can't decide which to keep. Thunder has got perfect accuracy in rain and hits opponent's rain team hard. Thunderbolt is more reliable outside of rain but don't hit as hard. Weather Ball to abuse whatever weather that comes my way. Aurasphere to counter Tyranitars and steels. The last move is for either priority or coverage. It has a low power Steel type hidden power so we can forget about it. Extra info: I will have Ninetales in my team to activate drought once i get rid of opponent's Politoed if necessary. I have my own Politoed to set up rain if the opponent do not run a weather team at all.

Last edited:

Ryan7437

Banned
Lapras @ Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Defense, 6 Special Defense.
Bold Nature, Water Absorb
~ Whirlpool
~ Perish Song
~ Protect
~ Ice Beam

Oddest thing ever? Maybe. But it is simple. Ice Beam anything that resist whirlpool. Then, proceed to whirlpool, to trap them. Then Perish Song and Protet then on the last turn switch out causing them to faint. It is only avoidable if 1. Whirlpool misses or 2. You have the super rare Shed Shell.
Aslo I run this set with Politoed but with Encore > Ice Beam and was wondering which was better.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
That is a nice set, a bit gimmicky but with the right prediction it can easily take out one of the opponents main offensive or defensive threats, I have a few suggestions though. I question the usefulness of ice beam, if you really want an attacking move I would go with icy wind for the added utility, but instead I suggest using rest, especially if used on a rain team with hydration for its ability. This gives it enough staying power to tank a few hits and maybe get 2 or 3 KO's.

edit: infact if you run this and politoed on the same team you could have a cool perish trap core to a rain stall team. Just throw in a vaporeon and a physically defensive steel.

Last edited:
Tyranitar @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature, Sand Stream
252 HP, 252 Special Attack, 6 Defense
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

This set has been running very well for me, and it does have a usable 95 Special Attack so I prefer the surprise factor. That way, people won't WoW me to cripple me.

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
I had a thread about a year back regarding doing a whole team of Ambipom (shocking, right?). With it's semi-vast movepool(ish) I'm able to make a whole team of 6.

But, since I want to make the team now, I'm not gonna remake the whole thread, but I'll just post the one moveset I want help on:

;424; Ambipom@Sitrus Berry
Technician
186 HP, 252 Defense, 190 SpDef
Impish (+Defense, - SpAtk)
~Attract
~Toxic
~Protect/Spite
~Taunt/U-Turn/Double Team

So, here's my attempt to make a "wall" (I know Ambipom is far from a wall, but I still wanna try it! lol) Its usage as a wall explains the EV spread (it's higher in Defense since Fighting move are usually Physical)

What I plan on doing is Poisoning the foe with Toxic, then using Attract (if situation works). My hopes are that if Attract worked, the opponent would switch out, allowing me to Poison more Pokemon.

In moveslot 3, I'm not sure if I want to Troll and spam Protect, or sap their PP with Spite

In moveslot 4, I don't know what direction to take. Either I Troll around with Double Team, prevent setups with Taunt, or prevent being trapped by Taunt and making a semi-clean getaway.

Any help would be appreciated!

KillerDraco

I had a thread about a year back regarding doing a whole team of Ambipom (shocking, right?). With it's semi-vast movepool(ish) I'm able to make a whole team of 6.

But, since I want to make the team now, I'm not gonna remake the whole thread, but I'll just post the one moveset I want help on:

;424; Ambipom@Sitrus Berry
Technician
186 HP, 252 Defense, 190 SpDef
Impish (+Defense, - SpAtk)
~Attract
~Toxic
~Protect/Spite
~Taunt/U-Turn/Double Team

So, here's my attempt to make a "wall" (I know Ambipom is far from a wall, but I still wanna try it! lol) Its usage as a wall explains the EV spread (it's higher in Defense since Fighting move are usually Physical)

What I plan on doing is Poisoning the foe with Toxic, then using Attract (if situation works). My hopes are that if Attract worked, the opponent would switch out, allowing me to Poison more Pokemon.

In moveslot 3, I'm not sure if I want to Troll and spam Protect, or sap their PP with Spite

In moveslot 4, I don't know what direction to take. Either I Troll around with Double Team, prevent setups with Taunt, or prevent being trapped by Taunt and making a semi-clean getaway.

Any help would be appreciated!

Well for starters your EV spread can't work because it's a total of 628 EVs while the max is 510.

Anything that's immune to poison (Poison Heal users, Poison types, Steel types, Magic Guard users, etc.) instantly screws this set over. You can't rely solely on Toxic, or you'll lose every time; it's very easy to work around.

Double Team is typically banned under evasion clause, but it depends on where you're battling.

Attract is totally gimmicky, and screwed over by genderless Pokemon or Pokemon of the same gender. Way too unreliable.

Plus, using Ambipom as a wall is beyond silly. It has no bulk on either side of the spectrum, no resistances beyond an immunity to ghost types, no reliable healing... And a full team of Ambipoms will be 6-0'd by anything with Mach Punch. It will get absolutely destroyed; just because a Pokemon has a vast movepool doesn't mean it can make use of every move it learns. Also, typically the "species clause" is in effect just about everywhere, rendering the entire concept moot.

If you're not taking advantage of Ambipom's combination of speed and Technician, there's really no reason to use it at all. As a UU, normal type wall, Snorlax does everything it can do, except better. Not to be rough, but the set you're proposing is nothing short of gimmicky, and will probably get destroyed.

Roserade @Grass Gem
Natural Cure
252 Speed,252 Sp At
Modest(+Sp at - At)
-Leaf Storm
-Weather Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Energy Ball

Is Roserade ok to fight experienced pokemon?

Jorge565

Magikarp
Shuckle@ leftovers/chesto berry
Contrary
252 def 252 spedef 4 hp
- shell smash
-power split
- stealth rocks/ rest /toxic
- an attacking move not sure which so its not taunt bait
Big time wall. This set is self explanatory. Lower both attacks, but raise defenses.
Then split attacks.Then proceed to stall their team to death. This would be used on a sand team.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Shuckle@ leftovers/chesto berry
Contrary
252 def 252 spedef 4 hp
- shell smash
-power split
- stealth rocks/ rest /toxic
- an attacking move not sure which so its not taunt bait
Big time wall. This set is self explanatory. Lower both attacks, but raise defenses.
Then split attacks.Then proceed to stall their team to death. This would be used on a sand team.

If you want to use a Shuckle first things first, it needs Max HP. EV wise you should go 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD with an Impish nature. Use it under sand and its defenses will be rock solid. Problem with Shuckle in general though is the lack of recovery, very low HP, and not being able to do any attacking damage whatsoever.

KillerDraco

Roserade @Grass Gem
Natural Cure
252 Speed,252 Sp At
Modest(+Sp at - At)
-Leaf Storm
-Weather Ball
-Sludge Bomb
-Energy Ball

Is Roserade ok to fight experienced pokemon?

Weather Ball is pretty gimmicky, it's not worth using. Go for Sleep Powder instead, which is more or less mandatory on Roserade; Sleep is always good, and Sleep Powder's semi-reliable accuracy helps you shut down potential counters who try to switch in.

I'm not fond of Leaf Storm, at least not in this case. The SpA drop makes it more inclined for a Choice Specs set, since it's better for hit and run. But of course in general Specs and Sleep Powder don't mix. I'd drop it for Giga Drain, which is only marginally weaker than Energy Ball, but also has the added healing benefit.

And Energy Ball might be replaced with Hidden Power, depending on what type it is. Fire will roast steel types who otherwise wall you, and Bugs as well, though Ground and Ice can be viable Hidden Powers as well.

thanks a lot KillerDraco I'm gonna try to use the sleep powder instead of weather ball.
Weather Ball is pretty gimmicky, it's not worth using. Go for Sleep Powder instead, which is more or less mandatory on Roserade; Sleep is always good, and Sleep Powder's semi-reliable accuracy helps you shut down potential counters who try to switch in.

I'm not fond of Leaf Storm, at least not in this case. The SpA drop makes it more inclined for a Choice Specs set, since it's better for hit and run. But of course in general Specs and Sleep Powder don't mix. I'd drop it for Giga Drain, which is only marginally weaker than Energy Ball, but also has the added healing benefit.

And Energy Ball might be replaced with Hidden Power, depending on what type it is. Fire will roast steel types who otherwise wall you, and Bugs as well, though Ground and Ice can be viable Hidden Powers as well.

mgs4manj

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 255 Health EV's (can't remember if it can have up to 255 or 252), and 255 Speed EV's.
Nature: Timid
- Fake Out
- Torment
- Encore
- Dark Pulse

This is a single battle wall. Pretty much trolls the other pokemon. First use fake out. Then, use torment, as Prankster gives it a priority boost. As the Focus Sash will keep it alive, use encore, with yet another priority boost. STAB Dark Pulse pretty much finishes the opponent off.

hellothisismuffin

Element of Laughter
Well I'm not very good at this but here goes

;321; Wailord @ [TBD]
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 ATK/ 252 DEF/ 4 SPD
Nature: Gentle [+ Sp DEF, - DEF]
- Dive/ Bounce
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Zen Headbutt

Given Dive or Bounce to get a second turn strike, Dive for STAB and Bounce for use against Grass Types. Rest for when Wailord's health is lowered and Sleep Talk to use Zen Headbutt or Bounce/Dive while asleep. Zen Headbutt for sheer damage and chance to Flinch.

Like I said, I'm not good at this so just hear me out.

I'll take anything you can give me

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Well I'm not very good at this but here goes

;321; Wailord @ [TBD]
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 ATK/ 252 DEF/ 4 SPD
Nature: Gentle [+ Sp DEF, - DEF]
- Dive/ Bounce
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Zen Headbutt

Given Dive or Bounce to get a second turn strike, Dive for STAB and Bounce for use against Grass Types. Rest for when Wailord's health is lowered and Sleep Talk to use Zen Headbutt or Bounce/Dive while asleep. Zen Headbutt for sheer damage and chance to Flinch.

Like I said, I'm not good at this so just hear me out.

I'll take anything you can give me

In a competitive setting, two-turn moves are generally considered poor options. If you Dive or Bounce, your opponent is just going to switch to an appropriate counter, so you've essentially given them a free turn. Also, considering 60 speed isn't exactly fast, flinching should never be high on your priority list.

Wailord is generally not used much, because though its HP is high, its offenses are average at best, its speed is poor, and its defenses outright suck. As a "bulky" water type (and only bulky by virtue of its HP since as mentioned its defenses are awful) it's generally outclassed by Rotom-W, who, despite having poor HP, has strong defenses, better resistances, and a potent STAB combination.

hellothisismuffin

Element of Laughter
That's a shame I was looking forward to using a Wailord.

But if I was to use Rotom-W what should his moveset consist of? I need a solid Water type for my team

mgs4manj

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 255 Health EV's (can't remember if it can have up to 255 or 252), and 255 Speed EV's.
Nature: Timid
- Fake Out
- Torment
- Encore
- Dark Pulse

This is a single battle wall. Pretty much trolls the other pokemon. First use fake out. Then, use torment, as Prankster gives it a priority boost. As the Focus Sash will keep it alive, use encore, with yet another priority boost. STAB Dark Pulse pretty much finishes the opponent off.

Will someone reply to this? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.