• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't Skarmory just Whirlwind you away if you use Knock Down? I understand if it's on the switch but otherwise it'll just be a waste, even though it's nice on Bronzong.

Well, yes and no. Knock Down at the moment isn't looking like such a competitively valuable move in most occasions. Skarmory, after seeing Giga, will most likely not expect Knock Down, but would instead be expecting an easy set up. With Roost, it can easily take Stone Edges, and Giga's other moves don't threaten it at all. On the other hand, even if the opponent anticipated my strategy and tried to Whirlwind my Pokemon away, I will have still gotten in Knock Down and Skarmory will be vunerable to Earthquake from another one of my sweepers (or other moves, depending on who gets switched in). Either way I get the advantage and Skarmory doesn't get to set up like it wanted to.

Still, any advice on another filler move I could use instead? Perhaps one not listed?

xLilith

Genesis
I see. I was thinking that it'll Whirlwind you away when you had boosts so that it'll reset. Never thought of it setting up mostly cos I thought Knock Down'll be expected >__<

i thought knock down would be expected lolol

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
JFreak, that's actually a pretty good set. Since Giga is immune to Sandstorm, I highly recommend a lefties point:
Brave Nature
232 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 24 Sp. Def

That's assuming you're still running it. You haven't got much else outside of QuakeEdge for coverage. Explosion is fairly terrible this generation because it has lost its defense- halving power. Heavy Bomber is probably your best option, and its only real use I can think of at the moment is nailing Breloom, who laughs at you otherwise. I haven't run a calc, but would return hit harder? I'm not sure. Toxic could also work as a filler, and Gigaiasu is one of the few viable users of Stealth Rock this generation.

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
Err.. This?
Anti-lead Ninetales
Timid Nature
Drought
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Hp
@Choice Scarf
- Solarbeam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- HP Fighting

Well DW Ninetales gets Drought, which summon permanent sunlight upon battle. Sometimes most leads are Rock-Types, use instant Solarbeam to kill them. Meet Machamps? Use Psychic. Meet Foretress' or Nattoreis? Use STAB Flametrhower. HP Fight for coverage.

Last edited:

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Err.. This?
Anti-lead Ninetales
Timid Nature
Drought
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Hp
@Choice Scarf
- Solarbeam
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- HP Fighting

Well DW Ninetales gets Drought, which summon permanent sunlight upon battle. Sometimes most leads are Rock-Types, use instant Solarbeam to kill them. Meet Machamps? Use Psychic. Meet Foretress' or Nattoreis? Use STAB Flametrhower. HP Fight for coverage.

I would go with Psycho Shock over Psychic. That way you can hit on the physical side if needed. Also with Psycho Shock you won't be walled by Urugamosu coming in and getting a free Butterfly Dance.

Porygon2 @ Pre-Evolution stone
Trace / Analyze
236 HP / 116 Def / 72 SpA / 80 SDef or simply 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold
- Discharge / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Magic Coat / Toxic

This is an old set I'd like to bring up, as I think it can do great things again. Blue Ace popularized it a long time ago and it did wonders for me, and it looks even better now.

First off, the item: Leftovers was of course the item of choice back then, but now with the nifty pre-evo stone around, you'll be surprised how bulky this thing gets.
We always ran Trace as it came in handy in shutting down Gyarados and Salamence (Intimidate right back at ya) but with the new abilities out, I suppose Analyze deserves a mention (If you attack last, the attack does more).
I can't recall for my life what exactly the EV spread was for, though the 72 SpA was for Garchomp. Modern variations of P2 on Smogon just run Max HP and Max Defense.

This is an excellent supporting Pokemon, a "middle man" if you will. I preferred using Discharge for the paralysis rate, as Gyara doesn't stand a chance anyway. The heart of this set is Magic Coat: this was one of my favorite leads ever because of Magic Coat. Any move that does not deal damage is bounced back to the user. (Read: Stealth Rock, Toxic, Leech Seed, etc) How fun would it be to have your foe set SR upon themselves?
When not used as a lead, you may opt to use Toxic, but I still highly recommend Magic Coat.

To show you how bulky this really is, Adamant Max Attack +1 LO Rayquaza's Outrage does a maximum of 75.67% to this set, assuming you are holding the stone. Adamant Max Attack LO Groudon's Earthquake will never do more than 42.51%. Though I doubt you will be using Porygon2 in Ubers, this just shows you how bulky it is against them; what more in OU?

I found a Zekrom that should be interesting.

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Tera Voltage
EVs: 12 HP / 248 Atk / 248 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Thunder Strike
- Outrage
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
This set is meant as a scouting lead. Thunder Strike can KO a good amount of the Uber tier, and can OHKO Kyogre. Outrage is his second attack, which KOs Rayquaza, Salamence, Garchomp and Palkia. Dragon Tail forces the enemy to switch, which can help me eliminate leads and Scout through teams. Stone Edge is something to handle Lugia and Ho-Oh.

I found a Zekrom that should be interesting.

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Tera Voltage
EVs: 12 HP / 248 Atk / 248 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Thunder Strike
- Outrage
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
This set is meant as a scouting lead. Thunder Strike can KO a good amount of the Uber tier, and can OHKO Kyogre. Outrage is his second attack, which KOs Rayquaza, Salamence, Garchomp and Palkia. Dragon Tail forces the enemy to switch, which can help me eliminate leads and Scout through teams. Stone Edge is something to handle Lugia and Ho-Oh.

The problem with using scouting leads in 5th gen is you get to see your opponents team before battle, so it kinda defeats the purpose of scouting.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
637-2.png
@ Life Orb
Flame Body
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
-Butterfly Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-UNKNOWN

I really want to take advantage of Urgamoth's Butterfly Dance, but his Special movepool is so shallow. If he got, say, Focus Blast, I would totally take it, but the only real options here seem to be Psychic or Fire Dance. Any other suggestions?

637-2.png
@ Life Orb
Flame Body
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
-Butterfly Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-UNKNOWN

I really want to take advantage of Urgamoth's Butterfly Dance, but his Special movepool is so shallow. If he got, say, Focus Blast, I would totally take it, but the only real options here seem to be Psychic or Fire Dance. Any other suggestions?

Hidden Power Ground is probably the best you can get for a final moveslot. Fire types would wall it pretty badly if you went with anything else. Gyarados can also take any one of its moves so you could use HP Rock instead to hit him as well as hitting most Fire types. Fire Dance could be used over Fire Blast since after using it just once it become more powerful than Fire Blast I think. It needs all the power it can get if it wants to attempt to sweep, plus it has more reliable accuracy.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Hidden Power Ground is probably the best you can get for a final moveslot. Fire types would wall it pretty badly if you went with anything else. Gyarados can also take any one of its moves so you could use HP Rock instead to hit him as well as hitting most Fire types. Fire Dance could be used over Fire Blast since after using it just once it become more powerful than Fire Blast I think. It needs all the power it can get if it wants to attempt to sweep, plus it has more reliable accuracy.
What if, in theory, you didn't really have access to HPs? Like you were playing in-game?

Gale is pretty much it. Morning Sun and Magnet Rise are both moderately usable. If you can keep Stealth Rocks away Wild Bolt can permanently dispose of Gyarados while doing SOMETHING to Heatran. If you're playing with Sun Solarbeam can work.

Besides that.. lol Psychic.

Aerophoenix

The Great Speculator
Gale is pretty much it. Morning Sun and Magnet Rise are both moderately usable. If you can keep Stealth Rocks away Wild Bolt can permanently dispose of Gyarados while doing SOMETHING to Heatran. If you're playing with Sun Solarbeam can work.

Besides that.. lol Psychic.
This is so depressing. What could potentially be one of the best special sweepers in the game ... has one of the worst movepools ever.

It makes me wish Gengar had Nasty Plot ...

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
@d0nut is right. Fire is weak to ground, so he wouldn't get walled. But in my case I used HP Fight. Because it was super-effective to Heatran.

On top of that, i post to try my new sig! -
|
V

I came up with the idea to make a Stall Milotic. It loves being asleep.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Aqua Ring
- Rest
- Toxic
- Surf
This set is built to stall the opponent for long times, with the abuse of healing. Aqua Ring usually sets up very well, and once it's up, it won't be stopped. When Milotic Rests, it's Def goes up by 50%, making it that much harder to KO. While it rests, the opponent is being eaten by Toxic. Surf is an attacking option when Milotic doesn't need to sleep. It abuses the Heal from Leftovers and Aqua Ring to recover 1/8 of it's HP a turn, which can be helpful while it rests, where it becomes even harder to kill, with Leftovers and Aqua Ring recovering what it almost doesn't lose at all.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
The only problem with that Milotic is that its complete setup fodder....resttalk could work but yeah you have high defenses. Cool. But stuff, particularly steel types, such as Lucario, Scizor, Nattorei, and Emploeon laugh in this guy's face unfortunately :/

I could help you with your EVs if you explain what you're going for.

Pretty much maximum defensesive cababilities and the ability just to go for many turns a time. :/

But when I think, doesn't Freeze Rotom get STAB BoltBeam now?

Rotom @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
Rotom-F is now an Electric / Ice type, which gives it a STAB BoltBeam. Thunderbolt has 142 Base Power, along with a 180 STAB Blizzard. Mixed in with Rotom's high Special Attack, and that can be very threatning. Shadow Ball handles Ghost Types, and Trick can cripple walls.

Last edited:

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
Pretty much maximum defensesive cababilities and the ability just to go for many turns a time. :/

But when I think, doesn't Freeze Rotom get STAB BoltBeam now?

Rotom @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
Rotom-F is now an Electric / Ice type, which gives it a STAB BoltBeam. Thunderbolt has 142 Base Power, along with a 180 STAB Blizzard. Mixed in with Rotom's high Special Attack, and that can be very threatning. Shadow Ball handles Ghost Types, and Trick can cripple walls.

Pretty basic set. I got the Speed tier list from Gen V up and I really don't see anything that is worth outspeeding for Rotom. Blizzard's accuracy could be a huge problem for you, but Rotom has the added advantage now of being immune to Hail.

murkrowrob

Yamask Hugger x_x
Exeggutor @Petaya Berry
Ability:Harvest (Dream World)
EVs: 252 Spe/252Spd/4Def
Nature: Timid
- Substitute
- Synthesis
- Energy Ball
- HP Fire

I saw what Harvest did (The same berry can be reused infinitely within one battle. ) and just instantly thought of a SubBerry (or Lum) set. Basically, sub until berry activates, synthesis, sub again, berry activates. Repeat until +6 SpA. Sweep. Energy Ball for STAB and HP Ground for steel, poison and fire (mainly) and is alright against other types. My main concern is flyers though.

Thanks in advance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.