• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Get a single pokemon rated here. Follow the same format as team rates, just with one Pokemon. Once again make sure that you are not posting something that is bog standard or a copy from the analysis.

Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move

*Detailed description of the Pokemon's purpose to the team*

• Here are examples of what is and isn't acceptable:

What's acceptable:

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SDef / 176 Spe
    Nature: Jolly [+Spe, -SAtk]

• Iron Head
    • Thunder Wave
    • Fire Punch
    • Stealth Rock

Thunderwave Jirachi, as a lead, has been successful for my team. The purpose of Jirachi is to get Stealth Rocks up, and once that's done, Pokemon such as Gyarados, Dragonite, or DD Babari Berry Tyranitar that switch in to try and set up on my lead are immediately rendered useless thanks to Thunderwave. My game plan is to set up stealth rocks first, and then Thunderwave to scout my opponent's team/cripple any sweeper hoping to use Jirachi as set up bait. With Choice Scarf being popular on lead sets, I decided to take advantage of its popularity, and it has paid off in every game I have been in.

Jirachi has been EVed to top Lucario in speed and use Fire Punch, or at the very least stop him completely with Thunderwave. Sometimes, getting a burn hax via Fire Punch helps, but as I can't KO Lucario with it, I tend to play it safe with T-Wave in most games. Either method is fine as Lucario remains crippled at the end of the day.

What's not ok:

Inferape @ Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Naive
    -Stealth Rocks
    -Close Combat
    -Fake Out
    -Fire Blast

Standard lead, sets up rocks and breaks sash for my opponent.

Both sets are fine as far as formatting is concerned, but the second set will likely get your post deleted and/or you will get an infraction due to not enough information being given. The first set had a different kind of formatting, but it stuck to the basic template outlined in this post and had a long enough description, telling us what purpose it has on the team etc. That being said, even though you have to follow the template, you can customize how it looks, providing all information is viewable.

Last edited:

Ungoliath

Not a GenWunner
Sableye @Iron Ball/Careful (+Sp.Def -Sp. Attack)/Mischievous Heart
252 HP / 100 Def / 156 Sp.Def
-Trick
-Will-O-Wisp
-Trickery
-Confuse Ray

Trick with Iron Ball for Levitate will do miracles, Will-o-Wisp (Or Toxic) and Confuse Ray for auto-damage (They can be simultaneous, therefore given plenty of damage NOT based in your attack, which is awesome because Sableye ATK is lacking)
Trickery to have a nice STAB move that also don't use Sableye stats and to finish off the work. I don't know how exactly works, though, to assure is the best move to be used.

I saw some Metal Burst/Focus Slash Sableye out there, but I doubt that would work due Sableye Speed. Even if it survives the turn that will be OHKO'ed it wont be first next turn. Anyway, the role would be Anti-Lead, but now that scouting and leaders are shown in most of WI-Fi battles I think it's kinda useless. Annoyer fits Sableye better.

smashbro77

Blaziken @life orb/adament or jolly/speed boost
4 hp/252 attack/252 speed
-high jump kick
-flare blitz
-claw sharpen
-thunderpunch

trying to make a set for blaziken because of his new ability through dream world, flare blitz and high jump kick are STAB attacks, thunderpunch is for water and flying types, and claw sharpen is to increase attack and raise accuracy so that high jump kick won't miss and cause damage. I'm pretty much a competitive noob so please reply to this so that I can make it good.

Blaziken @life orb/adament or jolly/speed boost
4 hp/252 attack/252 speed
-high jump kick
-flare blitz
-claw sharpen
-thunderpunch

trying to make a set for blaziken because of his new ability through dream world, flare blitz and high jump kick are STAB attacks, thunderpunch is for water and flying types, and claw sharpen is to increase attack and raise accuracy so that high jump kick won't miss and cause damage. I'm pretty much a competitive noob so please reply to this so that I can make it good.

Running Swords Dance with Wide Lens will give an even more powerful boost, as well as accuracy. And currently Blaziken has no way of having Thunderpunch and Speed Boost, due to it being only available as a 4th Generation move tutor move. Run Stone Edge instead.

smashbro77

Running Swords Dance with Wide Lens will give an even more powerful boost, as well as accuracy. And currently Blaziken has no way of having Thunderpunch and Speed Boost, due to it being only available as a 4th Generation move tutor move. Run Stone Edge instead.

Thanks man! I can see that your also a blaziken fan judging from your icon and I forgot about the no thunderpunch thing that sucks...
I also thought about putting on protect, just to stall a turn until speed boost takes effect, would this work?

Thanks man! I can see that your also a blaziken fan judging from your icon and I forgot about the no thunderpunch thing that sucks...
I also thought about putting on protect, just to stall a turn until speed boost takes effect, would this work?

Oh yeah. Blaziken FTW :D

Sub/Protect alongside SD is useful, as it will allow you to get extra turns of Speed Boost. However, this will limit you to STABs for coverage, which leaves you walled by Shanderaa, Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, and a whole slew of others. Running Sub/Protect with FBlitz/HJK/SE could help acquire more speed, as well as have good coverage, but that loss of SD's extra power really hurts. If you are running Sub/Protect, then you could go with Adamant nature and throw the speed EVs into HP to help survive opposing attacks a little better, since two turns of Speed Boost will be more than enough for Adamant Blaziken.

smashbro77

Oh yeah. Blaziken FTW :D

Sub/Protect alongside SD is useful, as it will allow you to get extra turns of Speed Boost. However, this will limit you to STABs for coverage, which leaves you walled by Shanderaa, Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, and a whole slew of others. Running Sub/Protect with FBlitz/HJK/SE could help acquire more speed, as well as have good coverage, but that loss of SD's extra power really hurts. If you are running Sub/Protect, then you could go with Adamant nature and throw the speed EVs into HP to help survive opposing attacks a little better, since two turns of Speed Boost will be more than enough for Adamant Blaziken.

Yea thats what I was thinking, stall a little to get the speed boosts, but your right without the swords dance's it would probably lose a few OHKO's that it could have.....hmmmm decisions decisions

Gentleman Skeleton

How about this, a half-way decent mono-Fire type Pokemon:

Arcanine@Life Orb/Expert Belt
Flash Fire
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Wild Bolt

With a few brand new toys in the form of Wild Bolt and Close Combat, Arcanine now has the ability to push at the very least neutral damage to just about anything in play. It's a shame Justice Heart couldn't be passed on as an egg ability or I would reccomend that over Flash Fire as the Attack boost would be a bit more to Arcanine's liking than HP restoration.

hobby

It's a shame Justice Heart couldn't be passed on as an egg ability
Unless all Dream World Growlithe/Arcanine are male, then you can, though the overall usefulness of Justice Heart is fairly debatable. Just a nit pick, Flash Fire doesn't restore HP (not unless that has been miraculously changed without my notice this gen).

Brave Birdy

It's a shame Justice Heart couldn't be passed on as an egg ability or I would reccomend that over Flash Fire as the Attack boost would be a bit more to Arcanine's liking than HP restoration.

I'm not sure if Justice Heart would really be a useful ability seeing as the most common dark type move in competitive play (pursuit) can't be switched in on. I'd stick with Intimidate in order to make it easier to switch in on physical moves, because you'll be doing that a lot more than you switch in on either dark or fire type moves.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
How does this set look?

Iwaparesu (Hermit crab with the cube on it's back) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252Atk-252Spe-4Hp

Shell Break
Rock Blast
X-Scissor
Earthquake

Assuming that I'm understanding Shell Break right and it sharply increases both Atk and Spe by two stages each, after using it once Iwaparesu will have 578 Atk and 418 Spe. So it'll go like this: The opponent will usually go first because of Iwaparesu's 207 Spe, it'll either do a status move (which will be protected by Lum Berry) or attack Iwaparesu's high defences. And Iwaparesu doesn't have any x4 weaknesses either. After the opponent attacks, you'll go second and use Shell Break, giving you extreamly high Atk and enough Spe to outspeed a huge amount of things. Then you just sweep away with Rock Blast (now with 90 Acc), X-Scissor and Earthquake.

Last edited:

Brave Birdy

Jaroda@Life Orb / Timid / Perversity
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Glare
-Giga Drain?
252 Speed / 64 HP / 96 Def / 96 Sp. Def

I'm not too great at making EV spreads, but my intentions were to give Jaroda a decent amount of bulk as well lots of speed.

As for the moveset, Jaroda has Leaf Storm for both STAB and the +2 special attack. HP fire is used to counter any steel walls that could switch in on her (Forretress, Skarmory, Nattorei). As for the last two slots, I was originally aiming for completely specially offensive set, but Jaroda's movepool is rather limited. So I would use Glare to paralyze opponents and Giga Drain for some HP recovery, making Jaroda somewhat of a tank.

I thought about using Gastro Acid rather than Glare in case I was predicting my opponent to switch into a Flash Fire pokemon, but I wasn't sure if that was really worth it.

-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Glare
-Giga Drain?

I'm not too great at making EV spreads, but my intentions were to give Jaroda a decent amount of bulk as well lots of speed.

As for the moveset, Jaroda has Leaf Storm for both STAB and the +2 special attack. HP fire is used to counter any steel walls that could switch in on her (Forretress, Skarmory, Nattorei). As for the last two slots, I was originally aiming for completely specially offensive set, but Jaroda's movepool is rather limited. So I would use Glare to paralyze opponents and Giga Drain for some HP recovery, making Jaroda somewhat of a tank.

I thought about using Gastro Acid rather than Glare in case I was predicting my opponent to switch into a Flash Fire pokemon, but I wasn't sure if that was really worth it.

Well, your EVs could use some work. An even balance of defenses usually doesn't optimized defensive power. For a low HP Pokemon like Jaroda, it's best to max out HP first. You could put the other few in SpA. An EV spread like 252Spe/252HP/4SpA could work.

As far as your moves go, you're right: Jaroda's movepool stinks. Still, I think that you could make use of another couple of moves. Instead of Giga Drain, for example, you could run Leech Seed, maybe even with Substitute for a good SubSeeder set. Also, I think that Dragon Tail could be useful. It won't be doing much damage with Jaroda's low attack power, but it will be like Roar with a slight bit of damage to force out Pokemon that may wall you. Just some thoughts, but hey Jaroda really doesn't have many options:(

And now my set. I've been looking at Sazando and trying to make use of his great stats and movepool. However, the thought of a set-up moveset with Cheer Up has kind of diminished. Salamence still has better speed and offensive power, as well as Dragon Dance. Still, Sazando does have one niche: the highest special attack of any Dragon in OU, meaning the most powerful Draco Metoer. So I've decided to take advantage of his special power and good movepool for a Scarf set like this.

Sazando@Choice Scarf
Mild
Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 Atk
Moves:
-Draco Meteor
-Dark Pulse
-Earth Power/Flamethrower/Surf
-U-Turn

Draco Meteor is a staple on powerful Dragon types, and Sazando is no exception. Dark Pulse gets pretty powerful after STAB is calculated in. Earth Power, Flamethrower, and Surf are all powerful, and they each offer excellent coverage when paired with Draco Meteor. U-Turn may not seem important due to the lack of a need for scouting in this generation, but it will allow Sazando to do damage to my opponent's counter and switch out to a counter for their counter before the opponent can do anything.

Any thoughts?

The only worries I have with ScarfSaz is that the Latis are both allowed, both at Smogon and in our current tier system, so for a mono-Special Dragon it might be somewhat outclassed for the time being. (Its Dark STAB sets it apart from them a bit at least.) I think a mixed set might prove to be more useful and sets it apart from other Dragons due to its large movepool. Something I came up with is:

Sazando@Life Orb
Hasty
Levitate
EVs: 252 Spe, 176 SpA, 80 Atk
Moves:
-Draco Meteor
-Crunch / Dark Pulse
-Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Surf
-Earthquake / Stone Edge

It has a much larger movepool than most Dragons and thanks to its great offenses it can make use of all these moves. Draco Meteor is great for dealing as much damage as possible. Crunch and Dark Pulse both provide it with a great secondary STAB, and while Dark Pulse may have more power, Crunch is probably a better choice especially if you just used DM to lower your Sp.Attack. Fire Blast provides nearly perfect coverage alongside its Dragon STAB and can hit Steel switch ins which might wall it otherwise. Focus Blast can also hit Steels, most notably Heatran which is the one thing which could resist Dragon + Fire. Surf can hit Heatran without having to rely on Focus Blasts shaky accuracy. Earthquake should be used alongside Fire Blast to hit Heatran, but it can be used with the other moves also. Stone Edge hits Flying types such as Zapdos harder than its other moves if it has already used Draco Meteor.

EVs are a bit generic I'll admit and he might not need the +Speed nature or max speed as I'm unsure of how the speed tiers will turn out, though since he has 1 base speed more than Ononokusu I thought it might be important to outspeed Jolly max before a DD. Scarf could still probably work, but with the Latis around it might not be as great, plus its considerably slower than other Scarf Dragons.

Last edited:

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
621.png

How's this bulky Kurimugan?
Kurimugan@Leftovers
Rough Skin
Impish Nature
232 Hp/ 60 Atk/ 216 Def
~Glare
~Dragon Tail
~Revenge
~Thunder Fang/ Fire Fang/ Sucker Punch

Basic bulky tank set. EVs are a lefties number, jump point in Def, rest in attack. Dragon Tail for Stab, Glare allows it to Paralyze switch-ins. Revenge allows it to counter TTar and Heatran, and the last spots a filler. And all combinations are legal.

boota212

Fudger-nutters
Shanderaa @ Leftovers
Flash Fire Ability. (Would do Shadow Tag, but, it will most likely be banned to ubers and I would have wasted my team EVing a pokemon I can’t use.)
EVs: 252 Special Attack; 124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 Speed
Modest Nature
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Overheat
Fire Blast
While this isn't the best set, I think it should suffice. The flash fire boost is almost guaranteed, considering I'm running an ice-type lead, so, people send in their Azelfs and Flamethrower while I'm switching in to Shanderaa, and then I have a fantastic boost on my Fire types moves, allowing me to sweep. The modest nature and 252 special attack invesment are their to maximize his already astonishing base 145 base special attack. Calm Mind is their to raise his Special Attack to astronomical levels, and, to make him slightly bulkier in the Special Defense department. Shadow Ball is just an amazing move, as are Overheat and Fire Blast, espicially with Shanderaa's STAB on all three of them. The defense investments are for a slighty bulkier Shanderaa, while the eight speed should allow it to out speed something. (I haven't been able to do in-depth calculations, like I usually can.)

My main issue with this set is the defenses, will they function well in the new generation of Pokemon?

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
Seems with all the hype this thread is getting people are forgetting to rate the sets...

Shanderaa @ Leftovers
Flash Fire Ability. (Would do Shadow Tag, but, it will most likely be banned to ubers and I would have wasted my team EVing a pokemon I can’t use.)
EVs: 252 Special Attack; 124 Defense; 124 Special Defense; 8 Speed
Modest Nature
Calm Mind
Shadow Ball
Overheat
Fire Blast
While this isn't the best set, I think it should suffice. The flash fire boost is almost guaranteed, considering I'm running an ice-type lead, so, people send in their Azelfs and Flamethrower while I'm switching in to Shanderaa, and then I have a fantastic boost on my Fire types moves, allowing me to sweep. The modest nature and 252 special attack invesment are their to maximize his already astonishing base 145 base special attack. Calm Mind is their to raise his Special Attack to astronomical levels, and, to make him slightly bulkier in the Special Defense department. Shadow Ball is just an amazing move, as are Overheat and Fire Blast, espicially with Shanderaa's STAB on all three of them. The defense investments are for a slighty bulkier Shanderaa, while the eight speed should allow it to out speed something. (I haven't been able to do in-depth calculations, like I usually can.)

My main issue with this set is the defenses, will they function well in the new generation of Pokemon?

Use Shadow Tag. If Shanderaa is banned, no matter what ability you use you won't be able to use it, so use it to its full potential. The best boosting set for Shanderaa is SubCM. The best bulky offense set I can dream up is Modest Nature with 240 Hp/ 16 Def/ 252 Sp. Atk along with CM/ Fire Blast/ Shadow Ball/ HP Fighting. And even then its not very good. Shanderaa needs speed.

-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Glare
-Giga Drain?

Offensive Jaroda? Defensive Jaroda? I'm quite confused... Well if you want to Max its speed pontential, you lose out on defensive potential, but I'll do the best I can. Go with a Timid Nature, Leftovers, 248 Hp/ 28 Def/ 232 Speed. Maximizes lefties, and allows you to outspeed base 110's (Gengar and co.). For the moves, go Leaf Storm/ Glare/Hp Fire/ Leech Seed.

Aaaandd....now a set of my own!
Offensive boosting Shinpora
561.png

Shinbora@Life Orb
Magic Guard
Timid Nature
16 Hp/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 240 Speed
~Charge Beam
~Psycho Shock
~Air Slash
~Roost
240 Speed to outspeed base 95s. Maxed out Special Attack, rest put in Hp. Magic Guard helps with SR and Life orb, Charge Beam helps with coverage, and allows it to boost its special attack. Air Slash for Stab. Psycho Shock allows it to punish Blissey. Roost for survivablility, as it is actually quite bulky. I can see Ttar giving him some problems, but I predict this set could be very powerful in the lower tiers.​

Crobat Ray

PO Username: Ray !
Rate this, please! Feel free to rate these two, pokes.

Curse Nattorei
EVs: 252 Att/ 126 Def/ 126 SpD/ 4 Hp
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Steel Thorns
Item: Leftovers
- Curse
- Iron Head
- Power Whip/Seed Bomb
- Gyro Ball/Leech Seed/Level Ground/Explosion
Sweeping set. Steel thorns make this a mini Sharpedo. Curse reduces speed, and raises attack. Iron head is STAB and will hit hard after some curses. Power whip/Seed Bomb is another STAB, hits something hard. Gyro Ball will be powerful after many curses, since it reduces speed and raises attack. Leech seed for more defensive play on steels, or Explosion to go, boom! and hit hard after many curses.

Support Nattorei
EVs: 252 Def/ 252SpD/ 4 Hp
Nature: Careful
Ability: Steel Thorns
Item: Leftovers
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Toxic/Substitute
- Iron Head/Seed Bomb
Defensive set. Stealth Rock used to force staying. Leech Seed saps hp, so it will very annoying. Toxic if you want another defensive move, or Substitute so it will become subseeder, paired with its defenses. The last slot is for attacking if Taunted.

Rate please!

Last edited:
Nattorei is so slow that assuming your Speed IV is 0 and you use a -nature anything in 4th gen OU at least anything faster than a Dusknoir will be hit harder from Gyro Ball. Even somethings like Rotom or Adamant Breloom will be struck for a full 150 base power Gyro Ball.

In the first Curse set run 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense with a Brave nature. After a Curse you will be hitting even Swampert with a 150 base power Gyro Ball. HP Evs benefits his defenses more than actual defense EVs does. Make sure you have "0" Speed IVs.

On the second run 252 HP / 88 / 116 with a Sassy nature ("0" Speed IVs). EVs will give it overall balanced defenses. Stealth Rock / Toxic / Leech Seed / Gyro Ball should work fine, although Power Whip may hit more bulky water targets than Toxic.

Plusle.

Plusle!
649.png

Insekuta@ Choice Specs
4 HP /252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid
Download
-Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower/something
Insekuta is the best pokemon. He
has great typing,power and has a good enough movepool. Bug buzz is his primary stab. Boltbeam backs this up giving solid coverage. The last slot is filler. I use flamethrower because it beats anything that resists his other attacks and is my sheddy counter but  you could use something else. With one download he can 2hko cleric blissey with bug buzz.

Bug Buzz
Cleric blissey 43.5% - 51.3% 2hko with sr
Wish Latias. 149,5% - 175.7% 1hko
Scarfrachi.133.7% - 157.8% 1hko
Thunderbolt 
Lugia106.7% - 126% 1hko
Ice beam
Giritina o127.3% - 149.8% ohko
Dialga71.3% - 83.7% ohko with spikes and sr
Flamethrower in rain
Scizor197.7% - 232.6% ohko
Shedinja78600% - 92600% ouch