• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

metagrossman4

Metagross Master
Looks fine to me, but maybe just put the four in spatk since you have three offensive moves.

So for a bulky jellocent, is water absorb better then cursed body? Because if CB is beter, ill just gwt rid of energy ball for recover?

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
No water absorb all the way, also does anyone have any ideas for my lucarios?

Gren Draco

RIOTRIOTRIOTRIOTRIOT
This seems a fun Haxorus set to run:

Haxorus@Salac Berry
-Naive
-Mold Breaker
252Atk/252Spe
-Endure
-Reversal
-Dragon Claw
-Endeavour/Earthquake/Swords Dance/Dragon Dance

Reversal Haxorus. Endure gives it a speed boost- raising that pretty poor base speed and setting Reversal at 200 base power. Dragon Claw is for stab and is more relaible than Outrage. The last slot can be either Endeavour as a pseudo-explosion, Earthquake to take advantage of Mold Breaker, Or a set up move for additional boosts on the turn the opponent switches to a counter.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
That looks awesome! I would use adamant nature and endevour for the last move.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
In response to the Jellicent sets above.

Water Absorb and Cursed Body have different utilities with each other. With Water Absorb, you can run Water Spout easier thanks to easier healing. Run a second Water STAB in case your HP gets to low, like how I run Eruption and Heat Wave on my Camerupt.

Jellicent@Leftovers
Bold - Water Absorb
252 HP/200 Def/56 Sp.Atk
-Water Spout
-Scald
-Protect/Taunt
-Ice Beam/Energy Ball

Protect is to stall Leftover recovery and Burn damage. Water Spout is your primary move to be hitting two pokemon at once without hurting your teammate. Icce Beam or Energy Ball fight for the utility on this moveset, but pick the attack depending on how well your team can handle Grass or Water types who resist Jellicent's STAB. Taunt is an option for Whimsicott who usually don't run attacks.

Now, for my version, with Cursed Body.

Jellicent@Leftovers/Red Card/Rocky Helmet
Sassy/Calm - Cursed Body
252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Def
-Scald
-Hex
-Recover
-Trick Room/Confuse Ray

Sassy and Trick room are for TR support. Otherwise, run Calm and Confuse Ray.

A Jellicent meant completely to wall. Thanks to Cursed Body, Jellicent can wall better than most Water or Ghost types. Scald to Burn physical attackers who threaten with harsh SE moves. The EV spread and nature are his only defense against special attackers. When Cursed Body disables their attacks, which will most likely be their only SE attack for Jellicent, Recover your HP and wall all over again. Hex is to get extra damage off of weakened foes, and Confuse Ray is to trip up your opponents who have to resort to other moves to deal damage to Jellicent. Jellicent also makes himself an excellent pokemon to use Trick Room with, being able to recover HP, disable SE attacks, AND spread Burn status in a single set. He's a very reliable TR pokemon for the team.

Both abilities give Jellicent a different function. Water Absorb gives him more synergy in Doubles and provides some ease of effort with water Spout. With that in mind, abuse the potential out of both abilities and squeeze every last bit of potential out of both sets if you can.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
WoW over scald on both sets.

The_Yellow_Flash

King Duh Duh Duh
Marowak @ Thick Club
Adamant (attack +, Spec Att -)
200Hp / 210 Attack / 100 Spec Def
(rock head or lightning rod-- doesnt matter)
-Fire Punch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Sword Dance

basically this marowak is supposed to be an offensive tank. But unfortunately it has a bit of a speed issue so to make up for that i thought that giving his defenses a boost putting its defenses both into the 200's. fire punch covers its weakness to grass and ice. earthquake is a nice stab move and stone edge is just a nice move in general. with one swordance this marowaks attacks will receive a nice 4x multiplier for huge damage. are people feeling a yay or nay on this one?
im gonna "make" this marowak in gen 4 then trade over for use in gen 5

fun fact of this guy... with his defenses if marowak takes an energy ball from a grass type with 300 spec attack he only gets hit for 250 hp
if marowak hits a grass type who has 200 def with fire punch, it will hit 300 hp

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
WoW over scald on both sets.

That's an option, but not recommended. Scald is Jellicent's other STAB, hitting for a reasonable base 80 power attack with the high chance side effect of Burn. It'd make more sense to suggest another Water attack over Scald, like Surf or Hydro Pump. But I don't see why you should be so worried about accidentally burning a Guts Pokemon since they usually hold Toxic Orb to power up themselves.

An option, but not recommended. The benefit outweighs the consequence here.

EDIT: And to the above set, Marowak has always worked well in Trick Room. But if you're not running Trick Room, then it's advisable to run Thunder Wave on your team somewhere.

Last edited:

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Thunderous has priorith twave which is always nice.

Zachmac

Kabutops @ focus sash
Ability: Weak armor
EVs: 252 attack/252 speed
Nature: Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Water Fall
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

After seeing Kabutops got weak armor, I thought it might be usable outside of rain. First, it swords dances. If it is attacked, if hangs onto it's sash and gets a speed boost. If it isn't, it'll either attack or get another SD. Water Fall is accurate and has a chance to make the enemy flinch, and Stone Edge provides neutral coverage for it, along with hitting harder for less accuracy. Aqua Jet makes it harder to revenge kill, especially by Chandelure and Dugtrio. If it is successfully revenge killed, aqua jet will still do good damage to the attacker after a swords dance.

Last edited:

The_Yellow_Flash

King Duh Duh Duh
Thank you for whoever posted about the changes to my marowak and for the future tip. also for the kabutops, there isnt much i would change. looks pretty good to me.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
^^ I would use jolly.

Spencerh26

Scyther

Scyther@ eviolite
Ability: Technician
EV's: 100 Attack 150 Speed 100 Defense 100 Sp. Defense
Nature: Bashful (Neutral)
-Night Slash
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Air Slash
I have a fairly slow team, so I figured that a Scyther would actually be more useful than a Scizor. I have recently made a pretty big overhaul of my team so I haven't used it in an actual battle yet.

Ket Ashum

So, I'm completely new to competitive battling. All I've really done relating to it is a bit of EV training and covering weaknesses. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be hardcore competitive, but it'd be cool to have some secret weapons against my non-competitive friends. I've started with a Taillow that I got from the DreamWorld. Its nature and characteristic both help for speed (Jolly/Impetuous and silly), and I've only been training it against Basculin.

What I need is an opinion on a good moveset for this Swellow. I saw the Pokemon of the Day thing on the main site, but I'm not sure if that advice still works for the 5th gen.

Swellow Lv. 33
Ability: Scrappy
EV's: 87 HP, 64 Atk, 49 Def, 35 S.Atk, 40 S.Def, 128 Spd.

Last edited:

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Hhhm, I would go for a Life orb sweeper set.

XxragdollxX

Jazz hands
For the scyther post use a jolly nature if you want speed and i don't know if you realised but you haven't used all the EVs available to boost stats leaving 58 useful EVs. I personally would add those 58 EVs like so.
152 ATK, 104 Def, 100 Spdef, 152 Spe.
Also exchange Air slash with Aerial ace because aerial ace has a higher power due to technician and scyther has a better Attack than special attack. You could also change X-scissor with bug bite if you want because bug bite does more damage and as an added effect.
Hope i've helped

Anyway:
Durant@leftovers
Hustle
EVs. 104HP, 152 Atk, 100 Def, 76 Spdef, 76 Spe
Impish nature
-Iron head
-Crunch
-Hone claws
-Thunder wave/substitute

This is supposed to be quite a bulky durant set along with a big physical side. Iron head provides STAB and a flinching chance. Crunch provides extra coverage. Hone claws allows Durant to sweep and also gets rid of Hustle's accuracy drop. Thunder wave plus Iron head makes the feared para flinch combo whereas substitute gives it a setting up opportunity. The EVs are spread to support the defences along with giving it offenive opportunities. Hustle does a lot for the offensive side. Leftovers and impish should be obvious.
I have made this set and have done damage calculations and here are the results.
Shuckle with maximum defence and maximum HP: Iron head does 52%-62%
Steelix with maximum defence and maximum HP (biggest problem): Iron head does 10%-12%
Shedinja with maximum defence (just for kicks): Crunch does 24269%-28551%
As you can see it doesn't do too well against Steelix but i have other things on my team which can take it out.

Last edited:

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
I think that your biggest problem is magnezone, he can trap you and then kill you with hp fire.

XxragdollxX

Jazz hands
I guess a shed shell or a occa berry is an option for such a circumstance. Thinking about it now i think that would be an ideal moment to use dig even if it is a very strange move to use competitively.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
True, but in this situation it might work, after you have dug the opponent will switch which temporeraly makes magnezone go away and lets you hit the switch in for, probably barely any, damage. But then again damage is damage.

XxragdollxX

Jazz hands
Also then you can switch after dig predicting the magnezone to come back and anyway chances are they will switch into a levitating or flying pokemon and if they don't then dig might actually do a fair bit since it has the same power as iron head and crunch

Status
Not open for further replies.