• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
Sure, enlighten me. Because apparently Smogon doesn't know what they're talking about.

Um... what? o_o

@Joe The Bow, if you want my opinion, for whatever it is worth, you should give it a Life Orb, and give it Fire Fang so it can deal with things that are actually an immediate threat to it. Let the rest of your team deal with the likes of Garchomp and Gliscor. If Hippowdon is your only counter to those things, you've got a problem.

I think you may be on to something with Psychic, but if anyone else would like to say something about my Kyurem's moves and nature, that'd be appreciated.

Medicham's Hat

<-- Jazz Hands
I quoted the exact reason why Ice Fang is more viable straight from Smogon. The only reason to use Fire Fang is to hit Forretress harder. And he is on 6.44% of teams, while Gliscor is on 13.91% and Garchomp is on 17.35%, judging by Pokemon Online's usage statistics. And you argue that Ice Fang won't do anything to Garchomp and Gliscor, whilst Fir Fang will to Forry, who has much higher Defense. That is a contradiction, my friend.

WinterChevalier

How may I help?
And now for something completely different than the Fire vs Ice Fang debate ^^;;

Bouffalant @ Leftovers / Choice Band
Sap Sipper
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Head Charge
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake / Wild Charge

I was considering using this on my RU Hail team, mostly because it pwns the heck out of the popular grass types (mainly Lilligant and Sceptile, although there are others) in the tier. Swords Dance on the switch out. Then you have Head Charge for amazing STAB. Megahorn takes care of the aforementioned grass types, as well as the popular psychic and dark types in the tier. Finally, you can go with Earthquake for coverage or Wild Charge to help against Blastoise, who is kinda popular down here as well.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
First of all, Forretress is the only thing this Hippowdon needs to be worried about going toe to toe with. If you are using a Hippowdon to take down things like Garchomp or Gliscor, then what is the point of the rest of your team? I've said at least once before, this Hippowdon is not a sweeper or a tank, it is to set up Sandstorm and SR, and then get out. Let the rest of your team deal with those common staples, that isn't your job. You are taking data and strategies and misinterpreting them to fit your point; Hippowdon isn't the Garchomp-counter on this team, something like Jirachi or Swampert is.

Second, it is not a contradiction, because I never said that either FF would KO Ferrothorn/Forretress, nor that IF would KO Garchomp/Gliscor. If I have a Forretress and you have a Hippowdon, and your Hippowdon starts using Fire Fang against my Forretress, I cut my losses and switch out. If I have a Garchomp and you have a Hippowdon, and your Hippowdon starts using Ice Fang against my Garchomp, I swat it the hell out of my way and continue my rampage. Fire Fang is a deterrent to those Pokemon, but Ice Fang is not a deterrent to Garchomp; neither one is meant to KO though.

Finally, I think I'm finished arguing. My opinion is that Fire Fang is better. This is not a deterministic problem, it isn't just 1 or 0. You are too emotionally attached to this for some reason, and it isn't going anywhere. Ultimately it isn't my decision or yours, we're just here to offer advice. Smogon is an authority, but they are not the end-all-be-all answer to Pokemon. They just have their opinion, same as us.

As always, still looking for suggestions on my Kyurem. That's the whole reason I've been doing this... <_<

xScruffyx

Tryin to put an altaria on my stall team. Is this gonna work?

Altaria w/ leftovers (think of anything better?)
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 sp.def/ 4 spe
-Cotton guard
-Power swap/Roar
-Dragon Pulse
-Roost

This seems like it would be a stsndard set, but I wouldnt know to be honest with ya. My main question is whether to choose power swap or roar? Id use Altaria to switch in on incoming fighting attacks since I have a couple weaknesses to fighting, so power swap would make sense to cripple those powerful physical threats. On the other hand roar can keep boosters in check. Another thing im debating is putting 252 evs in def to max that out, but I dunno. Your thoughts?

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Togetic@Eviolite
Sassy - Serene Grace
252 HP - 252 Sp.Def - 4 Def
-Follow Me
-Twister
-Roost
-After You/Heal Bell/Encore

Ultimate Follow Me user. Really sturdy Togetic with an offensive quirk. Follow Me to redirect attention and stuff. Twister is an almost unresisted attack with a high percentage of flinching thanks to Serene Grace, also hitting two opponents, might I add. Roost to recover HP and change types. The fourth move is were things get interesting. After You to make a teammate, at a disadvantage in Trick Room, to move right after you. It also works on moves with low priority, such as Circle Throw, Dragon Tail, Roar, Trick Room, etc. Heal Bell to make status disappear, and Encore to make things tricky for your opponent. Maybe Encore a Fake Out? c:<

PO says Togetic can't learn Twister. I haven't been able to use this set because of this. They also say Dustox can't get Iron Defense. :T

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
:640:
Virizion @ Expert Belt
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 HP
-Swords Dance
-Sacred Sword
-Leaf Blade
-Toxic

My team desperately needs something to counter bulky waters like Swampert and Suicune. I don't know how well this will work out, but Virizion throws up one quick Swords Dance, then lays into them with Leaf Blade if they've got a Substitute up, or Toxic if they don't. Sacred Sword because I could also use a STAB Fighting move, and because I'm a sucker for signiture moves.

I'm mostly looking for a sanity check on this. Also, suggestions for an item would be appreciated. If this wouldn't work, please suggest a good bulky water counter.

Last edited:

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
In theory however it loils pretty good by swampert would just roar you out as you swords dance... Also your virizion seems to look like a mienshao...

Shining Fire

A little rusty
My first LC team! Here's Dratini, the first one to be EVed.

Dratini @ Evolite
Ability: Shed Skin
Nature: Impish (+Def,-Sp.Atk)
EVs: 252HP/ 120Def/136Sp.Def
-Dragon Tail
-Thunder Wave
-Rest
-Hidden Power [Fire]

I'm not cheap and having my entire team hold Eviolites. I just wanted him to be able to take a couple hits before using Rest. Shed skin can potentially heal my sleep or any other unfortunate status condition. Thunder Wave is for paralying the opponent, so they have less of a chance to attack me with Dragon Tail's negative priority. HP Fire is for Steels, the only type that resists Dragon, which is kinda just a filler because of Dragon Tail switching them.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Persian @ Normal Gem/ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe Atk/ 4 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Rest
- Snore
- Sleep Talk/ Hidden Power [DARK] (BP: 60)
- Nasty Plot

*This is a very strange set I came up with. With Technician, Snore gets 135 Base Power. Not bad, especially since this classy cat comes with Nasty Plot. Rest is for recovery and so he can use Snore, Sleep Talk can get him a Nasty Plot going whilst he sleeps, but this will mean Wall by Ghosts. Hidden Power Dark can benefit from technician if the IVs are right, and it stops Persian from getting walled by ghosts.*

Any Comments? I'm proud of having found a somewhat useless but original set.

Primera Stark

Wicked like Gengar
Skuntank @ Life Orb
Jolly/Aftermath or Stench
[252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP]
-Sucker Punch
-Night Slash/Foul Play
-Poison Jab
-???

Physical sweeper, with STAB revenge priority, Sucker Punch. Poison Jab for STAB Poison. Night Slash or Foul Play for regular STAB Dark, Foul Play looks very nice, but I am not sure if it is THAT good. Help needed for 4th move, and ability as well.

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Hasty/Chlorophyll
[252 Atk/128 SpAtk/128 Speed]
-Leaf Blade
-Sludge Bomb
-Sucker Punch
-Solarbeam

Mixed sweeper under sun, i think all moves are self explanation.

Shining Fire

A little rusty
has Eviolite not already been banned in LC? if it hasn't its only a matter of time.

Maybe, I have no idea because this is the first time I've ever played LC.

Digital Love

Jew 'Fro's Graduate
has Eviolite not already been banned in LC? if it hasn't its only a matter of time.

Maybe, I have no idea because this is the first time I've ever played LC.

With the exception of a few choice Pokemon, LC is too hyper offensive to make Eviolite broken. If/When it gets banned it's going to be because of Pokemon like Munchlax, Bronzor, Mantyke, etc.

These forums are looking better than they were a year ago

Status
Not open for further replies.