• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I think I'm going with Fire Fang. Thanks for the help everyone.

Glad we could help you. :)

Can anyone say anything else about my Virizion? I could really use a bulky water counter.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Skuntank@Black Sludge/Normal Gem
Brave - Stench/Aftermath
252 Atk - 252 HP - 4 Sp.Def
-Screech
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch/Poison Jab/Crunch
-Poison Jab/Explosion/Fire Blast

Skuntank is one of the few pokemon with access to Screech + STAB Pursuit, so this set utilizes it as best as it can. Screech a pokemon that would not like lowered Defenses, then predict a switch and use Pursuit, hit for massive damage because of Screech. Sucker Punch if you predict an attack instead, or Poison Jab for another reliable STAB move, or Crunch. Explosion only if you're running Normal Gem, or Fire Blast for Steels who resist your other attacks.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Hmm, no comments on my Persian ^^

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly/ Timid
- Taunt/ Encore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed

*A fun lead, Worry Seed turns the opponent's ability to Insomnia, this can really mess with a lot of pokémon like Machamp, Kingdra and Excadrill. Then as they switch out to regain their ability, you can set up a Sub and use Leech Seed, and Worry Seed is still there too. Encore is to lockdown SD and NP users into switching in. Worry Seed, Leech Seed and Encore cause a lot of Switches, so maybe put him on an Entry Hazard Team for synergy.*

The main counters for this are Magic Bounce/ Coat users and Magic Guard.

xScruffyx

Hmm, no comments on my Persian ^^

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly/ Timid
- Taunt/ Encore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Worry Seed

*A fun lead, Worry Seed turns the opponent's ability to Insomnia, this can really mess with a lot of pokémon like Machamp, Kingdra and Excadrill. Then as they switch out to regain their ability, you can set up a Sub and use Leech Seed, and Worry Seed is still there too. Encore is to lockdown SD and NP users into switching in. Worry Seed, Leech Seed and Encore cause a lot of Switches, so maybe put him on an Entry Hazard Team for synergy.*

The main counters for this are Magic Bounce/ Coat users and Magic Guard.

i hate going up against whimsicott haha. I personally would replace worry seed with encore of taunt, which ever you dont use. but thats just me. Ive never used worry seed though, would hate to have that thrown in my scraftys face :/ Evs and nature are good.

My turn :)

Lickilicky w/ Expert Belt
Ability: Cloud Nine
Nature: Adamant/Impish/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
-Earthquake
-Power Whip
-Knock Off/Flamethrower
-Explosion

Weather teams absolutely ruin my bulky/stall team, so Im going to fit Lickilicky in somehow. My main question is the nature. Im running adamant right now for the slight boost in attack power but wonder if boosting one of his defenses would be better? EQ takes care of Ninetails, while Power Whip takes care of toad and hippo. Flamethrower for hail teams but they really aren't all that common so Im tryin Knock off, which is kinda fun... Explosion to go out with a bang.

Thoughts? Maybe switch up EVs too? I feel like with his low speed hes gonna need the added bulk in the defense department though.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
i hate going up against whimsicott haha. I personally would replace worry seed with encore of taunt, which ever you dont use. but thats just me. Ive never used worry seed though, would hate to have that thrown in my scraftys face :/ Evs and nature are good.

My turn :)

Lickilicky w/ Expert Belt
Ability: Cloud Nine
Nature: Adamant/Impish/Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 SpDef
-Earthquake
-Power Whip
-Knock Off/Flamethrower
-Explosion

Weather teams absolutely ruin my bulky/stall team, so Im going to fit Lickilicky in somehow. My main question is the nature. Im running adamant right now for the slight boost in attack power but wonder if boosting one of his defenses would be better? EQ takes care of Ninetails, while Power Whip takes care of toad and hippo. Flamethrower for hail teams but they really aren't all that common so Im tryin Knock off, which is kinda fun... Explosion to go out with a bang.

Thoughts? Maybe switch up EVs too? I feel like with his low speed hes gonna need the added bulk in the defense department though.

I like the idea of an offensive Lickillicky, but running 128 EVs in both defenses isn't great, try 252 Sp. Def + Careful nature + Curse, curse will even out the defenses and boost your attack, and it lowers your already useless speed stat.

And another set I like, it easily sweeps in DW UU

Klingklang @ Air Baloon
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Shift Gear
-Gear Grind
-Return
-Thunder Wave/ Rock Smash/ Bind
*Giving an Air Baloon to Klingklang will enable him to switch into Ground and Poison attacks without dying. This is good because Ground is one of his three weaknesses. Then he can use Shift Gear to boost his speed by two stages (so no need to go jolly) and his attack by one stage. it's a boosted Dragon Dance. Gear Grind is a two times 75 base power STAB, that's 150 Base Power attack that ignore Sashes. Return is Klingklang's second strongest attack, Thunderwave for paralysis, Rock Smash is a little crappy in power but has a nice defense drop. Bind is for fun and it stops the opponent from switching out.

Pokemon Ace

Dragon Master
Looking for comments on this special Dragonite set.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
• Modest
• Multiscale
• 252 Sp Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse/Hurricane
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

sunnygowing

Getting there...
Hi, I was thinking about training up the following Dusclops:

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: (Haven't yet decided)
Nature: (Haven't yet decided)
-Curse
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp/ Toxic
-Mean Look
(Other potential moves include Substitute and Protect as well as Trick Room )

I was thinking about this strategy while trying to beat Whitney in HG/SS with a (terrible) Gastly using a similar moveset. Mean Look to trap anything, Toxic/ Will-O-Wisp to deal damage if switched out and then in at a later stage and Pain Split to heal. The big focus though is on Curse. It would be able to do the most damage compared to any other option and would force the opponent to switch out (provided Mean Look wasn't used.)

As for the potential moves, Substitute would be used to stall more as would Protect and Trick Room to have the 1st say in a turn.

This is still in the early stages of planning (I've only recently decided to start breeding to try and get a half decent Duskull), so I still have a few questions:

1. What should the nature/ EVs be? With either a Bold/ Impish nature (or even Relaxed nature if I'm running Trick Room), would a 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Sp Def spread be effective.
2. After using Curse, would a Dusclops w/ Eviolite (which would bring the defenses to base 195) at half health make for a good tank of sorts?
3. How hard is this gonna be to train!?

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
When you have cursed then you have no way to reliably heal, try rest over pain split.

sunnygowing

Getting there...
I've never been a fan of Rest unless a Chesto Berry is used. Besides, it's not as if Dusclops is gonna have more health than ANYTHING at base 40!

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
True... However if they had taken damage from curse and burn the they will be on fairly low health, pain split is probably better though, you're right.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
I've faced a Dusknoir with that similar set, but Dusclops is better for the role with Eviolite and less HP. It's ideal. I'd run Careful, or Sassy if it's in Trick Room, with 252 HP - 128 Def - 128 Sp.Def EVs.

Armaldo@King's Rock/Expert Belt
Brave - Battle Armor
252 HP - 252 Atk - 4 Def
-Hone Claws
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Rock Blast
-X Scissor
-Earthquake/Aqua Tail/Low Kick

Hone Claws to increase accuracy and Attack, with a Rock STAB to make perfect use of it. Stone Edge for all that power, or Rock Slide for a little more immediate reliability. Rock Blast is weird, but hits Subs. Two hits equal a Smack Down, Three equal a Rock Slide, Four equal a Stone Edge, and Five makes a lucky strong Rock STAB. X Scissor for extra STAB. Earthquake for perfect coverage, or Aqua Tail for more Super Effective Coverage, or Low Kick for some mean offense.

Armaldo@Passho Berry/Focus Sash
Jolly - Swift Swim
252 Atk - 252 Spe - 4 Def
-Rock Polish/Hone Claws
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Rock Blast
-X Scissor
-Brick Break/Earthquake/Bulldoze/Crush Claw

Rain sweeper. Rock Polish is an option because even with Swift Swim he's quite slow. Rock STABs I won't bother explaining again, same for X Scissor. Brick Break for some nice SE coverage, same as Earthquake. Bulldoze to slow down others in a pinch, or Crush Claw to soften up foes and maybe switch ins. Passho Berry is an item because you're working in Rain, where Water STABs are powered up. He may survive the physical ones, but not the special ones. Focus Sash is an option too.

Armaldo@Leftovers
Sassy - Battle Armor
252 Sp.Def - 252 HP - 4 Atk
-Curse/Knock Off
-Smack Down
-X Scissor/Stealth Rock
-Earthquake/Screech

Curse curse curse. Offensive Sandstorm tank. Smack Down is a STAB move, while weak, has the most PP pf his Rock STABs. X Scissor blah blah. Earthquake for perfect coverage and to strike opponents hit by Smack Down. Notable targets include Skarmory, Gengar, Weezing, Lunatone, Solrock, Bronzong, Eelektross, etc. Slashed options include Knock Off, to remove Leftovers from Sandstorm damage, Stealth Rock for an entry hazard, and Screech for another way of doing more damage and prompting switching, hence the Entry hazards.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Still nothing for my Cat so I'll post it again.

Persian @ Normal Gem/ Life Orb/ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Spe Atk/ 4 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Rest
- Snore
- Sleep Talk/ Hidden Power [DARK] (BP: 60)
- Nasty Plot

*This is a very strange set I came up with. With Technician, Snore gets 135 Base Power. Not bad, especially since this classy cat comes with Nasty Plot. Rest is for recovery and so he can use Snore, Sleep Talk can get him a Nasty Plot going whilst he sleeps, but this will mean Wall by Ghosts. Hidden Power Dark can benefit from technician if the IVs are right, and it stops Persian from getting walled by ghosts.*

@ Black Murder: Like the Armaldo sets, they're brilliant as always, but Shell Smash Omastar makes a better Swift Swim sweeper. I seem to notice you use alot of Doubles sets, is that your speciality?

Last edited:

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
@D-World: My specialty specifically lies in Trick Room, which also performs much better in Doubles. I can make sets for singles as well, and my sets can be tailored to exclude Doubles or Trick Room.

As for your Persian set, it lacks the bulk to pull off a Rest more than once. It'll more than likely be KO'd from a single hit to use Rest effectively. Swift is a superior move to Snore due to maximized BP from Technician and also hitting two opponents at once in Doubles, just a mention. Focus Sash is the preferred item and Water Pulse or Shock Wave in place of Rest.

xScruffyx

@D-World Thanks, Ill try that ev spread. I dunno how I feel about curse though. Id like to switch in and take down those weather starters as quick as possible. Might run a choice band or something. Only more testing will tell.

Haha I like your Persian though. Id run HP dark over sleep talk since snore can be used while sleeping anyways. Sleep talk gives you the chance of using rest again, wasting a turn. And like you said you dont wanna be walled by ghosts

sunnygowing

Getting there...
@Black Murder Heavangelon thanks for the suggestions. However, if I were to run Trick Room, I'm not sure what move it could replace.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Figured it would be useless, but i was heading for originality instead of usefulness, So thanks anyway. Any advice on the other two sets? the Whimsicott and the Klinklang?

Flint Lockwood

Fluttershy
Been working on a revamp to my old sandstorm team for 5th gen, and I've been testing out some pretty "gimmicky" pokemon, just to see how they fare.

095.gif

Onix @ Eviolite
Sturdy
Sassy
252 SpD, 252 HP, 4 Def, 0 Spe IV's
-Dragon Tail
-Curse/Rest
-Stealth Rock
-Stone Edge/Earthquake/Gyro Ball​

Pretty iffy on it, as I have not had a chance to playtest it, but I feel safe to say that this only really has a chance to work on a sandstorm team. His main function is to phaze, but he has the option to Curse up if need be. Lowest speed possible because as this point I'm not really caring how fast Onix is moving. Rest was another option over Curse entierly, but once again iffy

Would like to bump this, a couple pages down and no word on it :)

xScruffyx

Would like to bump this, a couple pages down and no word on it :)

I like it. You're just gonna have to play test it though. I couldnt really tell you if 252 sp.def evs are better than putting it all in def instead. Just depends on the rest of your team. Assuming you used it correctly, that onix could be a pain in the ***. Im not a fan of rest unless I have a way to wake up.

Status
Not open for further replies.