• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Pretty good idea. Does he get scald? If so that would be a good option for the last move.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I don't know who to choose from for a phazer (for the subway)... any advice?

Poliwrath @ Muscle Band
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Circle Throw
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
*Poliwrath is quite a strong Phazer, because he gets access to ResTalk and STAB Circle Throw, one of the two damage dealing phazer attacks. Rest recovers all Poli's HP and Sleep Talk removes negative priority from Circle Throw. Waterfall is a powerful STAB that provides good coverage. The only big problem here is Water Absorb Jellicent, against which Poli is useless.*

Phazer 2
Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Sp.Def
-Dragon Tail
-Fire Punch
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
*Lickilicky has the advantage over Poliwrath because he gets Perfect coverage in the Subway since there's no Heatran. Though there's not much power in the moves, Lickilicky gets added Bulk. Dragon Tail phazes out other Pokés and Fire Punch for Steels and Burns.*

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
If you max the speed on poliwrath and use swift swim (and possible have a politoed) then you can use speed talk which cancels priority and probably circle through before the opponent hits so you phaze and don't take a hit.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Could somebody help me on my Rain Tank Swampert set? I just bred and RC'ed this to 100 on my SS, so feel free to suggest SR, as I still have access to it. The set takes advantage of Swampert's typing, his natural bulk, and his high base 110 Attack.
Swampert @Leftovers
RelaxedTorrent
232 HP/252 Attack/24 DefWaterfall
Earthquake
Hammer Arm/Stealth Rock/Toxic
Ice Beam/Stealth Rock

Takes hits and deals them.
Not that great set tbh. Better off using Swampy as a Wallbreaker.
vandslaux: Looks solid, although Swampert is very outclassed this generation. That's probably about as good as Swampert is going to get, but Swampert isn't all that good anymore.

pseudo pro: Seems like Skill Link Cloyster still outclasses it. You're trying to make it bulky and defensive, and then break all those defenses so you can sweep. You should probably just pick one or the other; trying to overextend like that, expecially on a NFE Pokemon with Eviolite, will backfire more than it will work. Probably still usable, just not wise.

-----

Machamp @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Attack / 240 HP / 16 Special Defense
-Dynamicpunch
-Ice Punch
-Bullet Punch
-Stone Edge

This varies from the traditional Dynamicpunch Lead Machamp in 3 ways. Number one, it uses Life Orb over Lum Berry; I have the Life Orb available to my team (no one else on the team has claimed it yet) and I'd rather have more power over getting out of status, but I can change it if the Lum Berry is critical. Number two, the 4 EVs put into Speed to outrun "max Speed Blissey" according to Smogon's writeup are put into Attack so it maxes out to 252; this seems like a small change to me, and I need him to have as much brute strength as possible to make up for his other shortcomings. Number three, Fire Punch over Payback; Dark and Fighting gives unresisted coverage, and Machamp certainly has the Speed to utilize Payback, but I've been wracking my brain for the last few days trying to come up with something to fill the last slot on my team, and a physical Pokemon with access to the type combination Fighting-Fire-Ice-Rock is what I determined I need.
Recommended change. Machamp as a lead is also outclassed by a lot.
How about this as a Weather counter?

Gastrodon holding Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP, 128 Defense, 128 Special Defense
Moves:
1) Surf
2) Recover
3) Toxic
4) Earth Power
This guy helps to counter weather. He walls and toxic stalls most pokemon commonly found in a rain team, with the exception of Ludicolo; against sun he'll set up rain and against sand he has EQ to deal with excadrill and rain to put the others out of action. Recover is for recovery.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
I definitely don't intend on actually running this and I know it is totally a gimmick, but I'm curious to know if this is actually viable anywhere.

Articuno @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure / Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense
- Substitute / Reflect / Ice Beam
- Roost
- Mind Reader
- Sheer Cold

I don't know if OHKO moves were re-banned this generation or not. If they weren't, Articuno is the only Pokemon that can learn an accuracy focusing move and a OHKO move, meaning he's the only thing that could pull this off. He also has decent bulk and a recovery move, so he very well could take at least one thing down with him with this. The only thing he's really missing would be something like Mean Look, as switching un-does the effects of Mind Reader.

In case you didn't pick up on it somehow, the strategy is to use Mind Reader to make Sheer Cold a sure-fire hit, and then Roost back your HP from setup. Substitute could lessen some of the big blows he would be taking from any of his 4 weaknesses, but would increase setup time. Reflect would up his Defenses, although it probably wouldn't be as useful as Substitute. Ice Beam keeps him from being Taunt bait, although if he was Taunted I guess he could spam Sheer Cold and hope for the best. At 30% accuracy, you've got just under a one-in-three chance without Mind Reader.

WinterChevalier

How may I help?
Articuno @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure / Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Defense / 80 Special Defense
- Substitute / Reflect / Ice Beam
- Roost
- Mind Reader
- Sheer Cold

OHKO moves, were in fact, rebanned again this generation. So this set is kinda worthless >_> The only place it would be even remotely viable is in random match up via wifi or ingame. But even then, if you use it in random wifi, expect to get nothing but disconnects >_>

archeopsdan

ive looked at ramdom pokemon again and seen this which was a pokemon i used to love using in 2nd and 4th gen games

;181;@life orb
static, modest/timid
252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-agility
-thunderbolt
-focus blast
-hidden power ice/power gem
an agility sweeper with thunderbolt with stab, focus blast and hidden power ice or power gem as coverage moves.

secondly another pokemon all the way from 1st gen

;020;@life orb/ flame orb
guts, jolly
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
-swords dance
-return
-crunch
-revenge/flame charge
basically swords dance to setup, then return as stab, crunch for ghosts and either revenge or flame charge for better coverage/further boosting.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Ummm, what is the first pokemon meant to be? It looks like a furret... I'm guessing it's meant to be ampharos...

I like the raticate though, nice set.

archeopsdan

Ummm, what is the first pokemon meant to be? It looks like a furret... I'm guessing it's meant to be ampharos...

I like the raticate though, nice set.

cheers on the raticate about the first set it is ampharos but i accidently put the sprites of furret in instead, silly me due to me also looking at him.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Lol I thought so.

archeopsdan

well because im bored ive being looking further into ramdom pokemon and setup they could use:

I have orders
;416;@leftovers
modest/timid, pressure
252 Hp, 128 def, 128 Sp.def
-defend order
-heal order
-attack order
-toxic/power gem/hidden powernot sure which/substitute

orders for the win! defend order causes more bulk, heal order to heal, attack order is stab and highly damaging to prevent taunt bait. finally you can use toxic to stall, power gem as coverage or a hidden power to give coverage but im not sure on which type to use or even substitute for some sort of protection.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Looks good, try bold or calm nature and use sub for the last move.

archeopsdan

well cheers again but as im still bored waiting for my ps3 to do the system update ive looked at another really ramdom aka rubbish pokemon

;222;@leftovers/life orb
modest/quiet, regenerator
252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp/252 Hp, 128 Sp.atk, 64 Def, 64 Sp.def
-recover
-power gem
-earth power
-ice beam
either a tank or trick room sweeper due to crap speed, recover for more health, power gem is stab, earth power gives huge coverage and ice beam nearly perfects it (i think)

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
Try the trick room sweeper with quiet nature. Also try scald for one of the moves, I'm not sure which move to get rid of though.

archeopsdan

what ive noticed during online play is how everyone loves thundurus which i can understand. hoxever i think it makes its friend tornadus feel left out so i trhought i might as well look at it myself.

:641:mad:life orb
prankster, modest
252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd, 4 hp
-taunt
-agility
-focus blast
-dark pulse
like its friend its gets taunt and a boosting move, however its agility and not nasty plot, oh well. focus blast and dark pulse get perfect coverage which could make this a great sweeper.

ChaosBlizzard

Crit Happens.
;199; Slowking @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Sp Atk / 252 Sp Def
- Slack Off
- Nasty Plot
- Scald
- Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Psychic / Psyshock

I need a good special wall that can sponge Ice type attacks in particular, and Slowking stands out. Huge Sp Def, good HP, resistance to Ice, a recovery move and Regenerator seem to all be in line with what I need. I'm just unsure of the moveset. Slack Off and Scald are a given, but once he sponges the big Special Ice hit, it begs the question in my mind "now what?" I'm thinking about running Nasty Plot to give him a chance of fighting back, and then one of the four moves listed in the last slot. I'm not sure which one would be most beneficial. I can see Conkeldurr switching in to this and trying to hit me with Payback, so Psychic may be a useful secondary STAB, and would be better than Psyshock in this case. Any suggestions?

coolioness

That is Mahogany!
i run ice beam, you could do flame for ferrothorn and bugs, it just depends on what your trying to block

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
I would run psyshock to take on special Walls (blissey Lols in your face and jelly resists your other moves). You can still hit most steels neutrally with scald anyway.

archeopsdan

what ive noticed during online play is how everyone loves thundurus which i can understand. hoxever i think it makes its friend tornadus feel left out so i trhought i might as well look at it myself.

:641:mad:life orb
prankster, modest
252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd, 4 hp
-taunt
-agility
-focus blast
-dark pulse
like its friend its gets taunt and a boosting move, however its agility and not nasty plot, oh well. focus blast and dark pulse get perfect coverage which could make this a great sweeper.

can someone comment on this because im wondering weather to try it for po

also ive decided to look at the the three hitmon... pokemon:

;106;@leftovers/life orb
adamant, limber
252 Atk, 252 Hp, 4 Sp.def
-bulk up
-sucker punch
-mach punch
-bullet punch/ blaze kick/ stone edge

basically a priority setup sweeper, using bulk up to boost atk, mach punch is stab, sucker punch provides perfect coverage and priority and finally either more priority or a covering move (blaze kick for ferrothron etc and stone edge for flyings).

;107;@leftovers/life orb
adamant,iron fist
252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Sp.def
-bulk up
-mach punch
-ice punch
-thunder punch

mach punch is stab, bulk up sets up atk and def, ice punch and thunder punch provide perfect coverage with mach punch, also they all get the boost off iron fist ability

;237;@leftovers/life orb
adamant, technician
252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Sp.def
-bulk up
-mach punch
-sucker punch
-bullet punch/stone edge

basically the exact same setup as hitmonlee so i dont need to explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.