• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenevix

Some Guy
^Max out defense, with the calm mind boost it can become a mixed wall, and they will be easy to set up with moonlight.

Focus sash is better on faster pokemon. I'd say sitrus berry or maybe rocky helmet.

Ooo. I like that so how bout this.

Musharna@ Sitrus Berry
Nature: Sassy (It's shiny and I really wanna use it so I'm not changing the nature.)
EVs: +252 HP +252 Def +4 SP Def
Ability: Telepathy

Calm Mind
Moonlight
Baton Pass
Stored Power

So now with max defense it's doubtful Musharna will be OHKO'd but it will do hefty damage. So the Sitrus Berry heals it up so the turn it takes the damage It can heal up and use Calm Mind then the next it can use Moonlight or maybe Baton Pass.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
Musharna@Big Root
Telepathy - Sassy
252 HP - 252 Sp.Def - 4 Sp.Atk/252 Sp.Def - 252 Sp.Atk - 4 Def
-Trick Room
-Helping Hand
-Hypnosis
-Dream Eater

A Musharna intended to use with Gravity. As it is the only pokemon to get Helping Hand and Telepathy, its true potential is unleashed in this environment. Trick Room to reverse speed, Helping Hand to give your teammates some insane damage (Normal Gem Explosion Lickilicky?), Hypnosis to put your opponents to sleep, and it won't miss because of Gravity, and Dream Eater for recovery. Also, no one expects Dream Eater anymore, and it can net a surprise KO on pokemon weak to it like Hitmontop or Gengar. EVs give Musharna maximum resilience to special attacks. Its Def must be covered by another teammate or a WoW user.

Zweilous@Life Orb/Eviolite
Brave - Hustle
252 Atk - 252 HP - 4 Def
-Dragon Rush
-Crunch/Fire Fang
-Head Smash
-Fire Fang/Protect

Sweet Arceus! Do NOT face this thing under Gravity. Hustle sounds meager, but when Gravity has removed the inaccuracy, watch out. Dragon Rush sounds bad, but trust me, Gravity makes it look like Fire Blast. By the way, Dragon Rush from this thing obliterates. Crunch a little less. Head Smash oh God Head Smash. Good luck living that. Fire Fang eats Steels that it can't hit. Protect is mainly what I use in Doubles. It's an option.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
Crobat@Toxic Orb
Nat: jolly
Inner Focus
252spd/252atk/4hp
moves:

-Fling
- U-turn
- Confuse Ray
- mean look

1. Mean Look to hold your opp. 2. Confuse ray for Fling setup. 3. Fling TO to poison. 4. U-turn quick as **** and get outta there!

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SDef/ 0 Spd IV
Nature: Sassy
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Leech Seed/ Protect/ Bulldoze/ Spikes/ Stealth Rock
Curse

Ferrothorn has amazing bulk and decent attack, so I made a set to work with those stats. Curse is the crux of the set boosting the thorn's massive defense and decent attack, and the speed drop helps Gyro Ball's power. The EVs maximize special bulk as Curse improves both physical stats. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are for STAB with high power but somewhat poor coverage. The last move is a puzzler. Bulldoze can help with Steel Types and might OHKO a fire type with prediction. Stealth Rock and Spikes are considerable, but remember that Ferrothorn is busy with setting up. Leech Seed is helpful with healing, but again Ferrothorn should be concerned with setting up. Protect can scout for threats and stall for a healing turn.

randomspot555

Looking for advice for a tournament. This is for 1v1. EVs, movesets, held items, etc... cannot be changed. The rules are:

Focus Sash, Focus Band, choice items, and Eviolite are banned.
Sleep inducing moves are completely banned. Rest and Effect Spore are fine.
Evasion/Self KO/Moody/OHKO clause
Speed Boost Blaziken is banned
And basically anyone who was considered uber at one point or another,all legendaries and several pseudo-legends are banned.

I'm currently breeding Togepis in Heart Gold so I can take advantage of some of the move tutors and TMs in Gen 4 and because I don't think I need any Gen 5 exclusive moves.

Togekiss w/Leftovers (Female)
Calm (+SpD,- Atk)/Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Serene Grace
252 HP/36 Sp Atk/220 Special Defense
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave/Water Pulse
- Hyper Beam/Attract/Roost/

In these gimmicky 1v1 tournaments, I like to play more defensively since it seems to give me some better odds against the opponent. Playing up hyper offense, you can pretty much tell if you win or lose the moment you come out.

Thunder Wave and Air Slash are the obvious Para-Flinch moves.

I think Heat Wave is going to end up somewhere in my list just so I can handle the odd Steel type.

The final slot is a bit tricky. STAB Hyper Beam can hit hard in 1v1 and that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

Attract is fairly gimmicky but could be used to annoy.

Roost could give me some life especially if I end up against an Ice or Electric type.

I'm mainly dumping the 36 in Sp Atk evs so I at least hit something a bit hard.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/pokerules.png/

Last edited:

Vitor"

take off Water Pulse and Hyper Beam. the best option for a Togekiss set is to put Aura Sphere / Air Slash / Thunder Wave / Roost. this set provides you great coverage, and you almost always kill pokémon without losing too much HP.

but if you want a Fire type move on your set, you should definitely put Flamethrower over Heat Wave. it has almost the same power and better accuracy.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^I'm not sure using togekiss is the best option. Offense is really the only thing you should use for 1vs1(besides whimsicott). Para flinch works better with team support. Here's an example of paraflinch togekiss in 1vs1.

Togekiss vs Lucario

Turn 1:

Lucario used Close Combat! Togekiss fainted.

yup. I would use something better that togekiss in 1 vs 1.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
lol Pichu. You've got a point, seeing that lucario has inner focus. If you want a defensive/defensive counterer, look at Desukaan, snorlax; wat kind of main defense are you looking at randomspot555?

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^Yes, and i bet Lucario is pretty common too. Off the top of my head, (whatever that means) here's a list of pokes i think could be good for 1 vs 1. Alakazam, Gengar, Darmanitan, Archeops, Dragonite, Conkuldurrrrrr, Yanmega, Sharpedo, haxorus, etc. Basically anything pretty fast and super-powered will work. I think Dragonite is the best option personally.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
Same. It could depend on who you want to use though. RU, UU, OU, NU, etc.
For example, they may b expecting a heavy hitting physical gyarados or dragonite or garchomp. You send in a sp. Hydreigon and throw your opp off. hm?

Vitor"

Yanmega can be a troll with Protect. no other pokémon outspeeds him when he receives a boost. not even scarfed ones.

randomspot555

I didn't explicitly pointed out, but every single Legendary Pokemon is banned from this tournament, along with any Pokemon that has or is in the uber tier (Wobbuffet, Wyanut, Salamence, Garchomp) and several of the more notable pseudo-legends (Dragonite, Metagross).

I certainly agree that Gengar is something to be prepared for. When this group I play in did a 1v1 Gen 4 tournament, Gengar was used by half the people. But Gengar has changed in Gen 5. Disable is now more common, Hypnosis is still down at 60% so the threat of Thunderbolt isn't as big as it used to be. Disable still presents a challenge, but unlike a lot of Pokemon, Togekiss has several attacks that Gengar can be hit by and Disable Gengar usually only has Shadow Ball (immune) and Focus Blast (shaky accuracy, low PP, not SE).

There's a link to the rules.

So given that you now see the rules a bit more clearly than waht I outlined before, what would you all suggest?

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^I thinks that archeops with flying gem will be a beast. Flying resist is rare, no stealth rocks, and not too many steel types to resist it. I think Archeops with Acrobatics, Stone Edge, Earthquake, *filler*, will be awesome. I Would suggest quick attack for the last slot, but with focus sash banned, it wouldn't be that useful.

TheBluePorygon

i miss the old kanye
Looking for advice for a tournament. This is for 1v1. EVs, movesets, held items, etc... cannot be changed. The rules are:

Focus Sash, Focus Band, choice items, and Eviolite are banned.
Sleep inducing moves are completely banned. Rest and Effect Spore are fine.
Evasion/Self KO/Moody/OHKO clause
Speed Boost Blaziken is banned
And basically anyone who was considered uber at one point or another,all legendaries and several pseudo-legends are banned.

I'm currently breeding Togepis in Heart Gold so I can take advantage of some of the move tutors and TMs in Gen 4 and because I don't think I need any Gen 5 exclusive moves.

Togekiss w/Leftovers (Female)
Calm (+SpD,- Atk)/Bold (+Def, -Atk)
Serene Grace
252 HP/36 Sp Atk/220 Special Defense
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave/Water Pulse
- Hyper Beam/Attract/Roost/

In these gimmicky 1v1 tournaments, I like to play more defensively since it seems to give me some better odds against the opponent. Playing up hyper offense, you can pretty much tell if you win or lose the moment you come out.

Thunder Wave and Air Slash are the obvious Para-Flinch moves.

I think Heat Wave is going to end up somewhere in my list just so I can handle the odd Steel type.

The final slot is a bit tricky. STAB Hyper Beam can hit hard in 1v1 and that's the only reason I'm even considering it.

Attract is fairly gimmicky but could be used to annoy.

Roost could give me some life especially if I end up against an Ice or Electric type.

I'm mainly dumping the 36 in Sp Atk evs so I at least hit something a bit hard.

1v1? Rock a CB Scizor

Adamant 252 Atk 148 HP 96 Sp. Def. 12 Speed
-Bullet Pawnch
-Bug Bite
-Super Power
-Pursuit

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^If you read the rules, choice items are banned. And why would you use pursuit for one vs one??

Zachmac

Crobat@Toxic Orb
Nat: jolly
Inner Focus
252spd/252atk/4hp
moves:

-Fling
- U-turn
- Confuse Ray
- mean look

1. Mean Look to hold your opp. 2. Confuse ray for Fling setup. 3. Fling TO to poison. 4. U-turn quick as **** and get outta there!
U-turn cancels mean look, doesn't it?

And why use fling once when you can use toxic multiple times?

Vitor"

a great pokémon for 5th 1x1 is Rotom-W. he only has one weakness and he has a great movepool. he has access to Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp and Hydro Pump (which is the best of the "Rotom exclusives moves"). i've already won some 1x1 tournaments with him, it's a very nice choice.

Dragin990

Warrior's Will
no, mean look traps yur opponent. it doesnt prevent the user from switching, but I'm thinking......does mean look's effect cancel if the user switches or only when they faint. (leech seed for example)

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
^Yes, if mean look didn't stop taking effect when you switched out, it would be insanely broken. Umbreon had a niche last gen because he could baton pass mean looks, but now he can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.