• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates (5th Gen Standard OU) - READ FIRST POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allieon

Best Eeveelution
Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: none (haven't trained it yet)
IVs: HP-24, Atk-2, Def-5, SAtk-18, SDef-22, Spe-24
Nature: Adamant [+Atk, -SAtk]

Planned moveset
-Iron Head
-Ice Puch
-Body Slam
- Healing Wish

Planned EV Spred
252 Atk/Spe, 4 SDef

I would mostly like to know if the IV spread that I calculated on this Jirachi is of any usefulness considering what role I want Jirachi to play on my team.

If the spread is good enough, I plan to use this Jirachi as a fairly standard Choice Scarf Jirachi for my WiFi team. I have found much success using such a Jirachi on Pokemon Showdown. Iron Head is for STAB and flinch hax, Body Slam is for paralysis, Ice Punch is for dragons, and Healing Wish is what I use once Jirachi is crippled or if the pokemon on the other team all resist my other moves.

NotQuiteSane42

Professional Cynic
I was looking around at Porygon2's moveset on the PO teambuilder and I noticed something interesting...

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trace
252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Electroweb

So in case that didn't already make it apparent, the weird move here is electroweb. Sad 55 base power, but I see potential in shutting down things like Alakazam, Gengar, and Lati@s because it lowers speed. What do you guys think of it? Should I use it, or go back to Discharge with its 30% paralysis chance?

McDanger

I was looking around at Porygon2's moveset on the PO teambuilder and I noticed something interesting...

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trace
252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
-Electroweb

So in case that didn't already make it apparent, the weird move here is electroweb. Sad 55 base power, but I see potential in shutting down things like Alakazam, Gengar, and Lati@s because it lowers speed. What do you guys think of it? Should I use it, or go back to Discharge with its 30% paralysis chance?

thunder wave is a better idea or discharge as electroweb makes them switch while para is cripples them for the rest of the match

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I'm not sure if this belongs here, since this Pokémon is NU (I think) so redirect me if this is the wrong place.

Shuckle
Held Item: Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Likes to relax
Moves:
- Shell Smash
- Toxic
- Bide
- Power Split

Contrary is the most useful of Shuckle's abilities (In my opinion) since it makes Shell Smash a dangerous move on it, since it makes its defensive stats even better. Toxic is a common stalling move, and works well provided the opponent isn't a steel-type. Bide is shuckle's secondary means of dealing damage, and even if the move is bad on other pokémon, with Shuckle's ridiculous defenses, it turns that around. Power Split can further add to shuckle's longevity by dividing up the Attack stat, and considering Shuckle's low attack, it will almost always turn out bad for the opponent.

KillerDraco

I'm not sure if this belongs here, since this Pokémon is NU (I think) so redirect me if this is the wrong place.

Shuckle
Held Item: Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Def
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Likes to relax
Moves:
- Shell Smash
- Toxic
- Bide
- Power Split

Contrary is the most useful of Shuckle's abilities (In my opinion) since it makes Shell Smash a dangerous move on it, since it makes its defensive stats even better. Toxic is a common stalling move, and works well provided the opponent isn't a steel-type. Bide is shuckle's secondary means of dealing damage, and even if the move is bad on other pokémon, with Shuckle's ridiculous defenses, it turns that around. Power Split can further add to shuckle's longevity by dividing up the Attack stat, and considering Shuckle's low attack, it will almost always turn out bad for the opponent.

Two words: Taunt bait. Taunt'll prevent you from doing anything barring Bide, which lets them slap Toxic on you or set up in your face. Contrary Shell Smash is incredibly gimmicky; you're better off swapping it for Encore lest you become setup bait, especially for things immune to Toxic. Shuckle's defenses are already absurd, trying to boost them further is a waste of time, not to mention will make you susceptible to phasing as well. You may be boosting your defenses but Shuckle's not really threatening anything at the same time. Plus, by extension, Bide does less damage when your defenses go up even higher.

Ivoright

I am back! Probably.
I can see what you're saying.
Bide is specifically for those immune to Toxic, that's why it's there.
I can see about replacing Power Trick with Encore, you're right about that part.

Shinzan

I can see about replacing Power Trick with Encore, you're right about that part.

Power Split actually. It's different from Power Trick. To stop it from being Taunt bait, try giving it Sand Tomb so that it can still attack and do some gradual damage against those annoying steels and poison types.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Power Split actually. It's different from Power Trick. To stop it from being Taunt bait, try giving it Sand Tomb so that it can still attack and do some gradual damage against those annoying steels and poison types.

No. Horrible suggestion.

Shackle is not competitively viable in any tier I know of, aside from a few om's on smogon. He has too few hp's to do anything effectively.

Two words: Taunt bait.

Four words.

Taunt. Bait. Means. Nothing.

Literally one Pokemon in OU uses Taunt commonly, and that Pokemon is Jellicent. You might also see it on Custap Berry Skarmory and suicide lead Terrakion but both of those Pokemon will probably be dead within two turns anyway. What I'm getting at is that anyone who uses the phrase "Taunt Bait" actually knows nothing about the modern OU metagame and probably should not be giving anyone advice.

That set is bad for MANY reasons, but "Taunt Bait" isn't even a thing. Stop using that phrase.

The Master Chief

Two words: Taunt bait.

Four words.

Taunt. Bait. Means. Nothing.

Literally one Pokemon in OU uses Taunt commonly, and that Pokemon is Jellicent. You might also see it on Custap Berry Skarmory and suicide lead Terrakion but both of those Pokemon will probably be dead within two turns anyway. What I'm getting at is that anyone who uses the phrase "Taunt Bait" actually knows nothing about the modern OU metagame and probably should not be giving anyone advice.

That set is bad for MANY reasons, but "Taunt Bait" isn't even a thing. Stop using that phrase.

Exactly. The only time the phrase "taunt bait" can even be considered about using is in vgc where taunt is prevalent. Also no matter how you try shuckle can't really do much unless you're opponent has absolutely no idea what they're doing. it's base hp is too low for it's defenses and most sets are gimmicky at that.

Hakunamawatta

Poké Earth Traveller
This is for sixth gen (since there is no sixth gen version of this yest), I have IV bred a scyther (31/31/31/x/31/31). I have not started Ev training it yet because i am not sure if my moveset is good. I will evolve it soon.
Scizor
Item: Scizornite
Ability Technician
Ev 252 atk/252 HP/4 Spe
Moves: Swords dance
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Iron head

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
You don't need iron head and bullet punch, give him something like brick break since he can't get superpower anymore or a bug move

The Master Chief

This is for sixth gen (since there is no sixth gen version of this yest), I have IV bred a scyther (31/31/31/x/31/31). I have not started Ev training it yet because i am not sure if my moveset is good. I will evolve it soon.
Scizor
Item: Scizornite
Ability Technician
Ev 252 atk/252 HP/4 Spe
Moves: Swords dance
Pursuit
Bullet Punch
Iron head

Having Iron Head and bullet punch on the same set is unneccessary. I suggest replacing Iron Head with U-Turn or Brick Break for coverage.

Last edited:

unresponsive

still in a dream, skin eater
(Gen 6) I've got a Timid Frisk Noivern I'm really indecisive about and could use suggestions..

Noivern
@ King's Rock
Frisk
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Timid
- Air Slash
- Super Fang
- Roost
- Tailwind

As you can see he's pretty laughable. First off is the held item. I'm not a fan of Choice Items, I just don't like being locked in to things so he has a King's Rock for now, but obviously Serene Grace Air Slash Togekiss does a much better job. Super Fang is for bulky/wall Pokemon and probably the only part of this set I'm going to keep. Roost recovers damage but he's too frail to properly run it anyway. I figured Tailwind can be his final move right as he's about to get knocked out. So far he's not really utilizing anything properly though..

I'm considering Dragon Pulse instead of Air Slash and maybe Toxic instead of Roost.

Open to anything at this point, thanks.

Last edited:

X-Lucario

King of Losers
Nidoking@life orb/choice scarf
Sheer force
Evs: 252 Atk, 4 SPd, 252 spe
Nature: Admant
Poison jab
Earthquake
Brick break
Giga impact

This is a sheer force nidoking I am trying to take advantage of his slightly higher Atk and the use and sheer force as his hidden ability. Its purpose is to be a sweeper, dealing large amounts of damage in as little time as possible.

cheeselord

Largely Inactive
How does sheer force interact with recharge moves?

McDanger

Nidoking@life orb/choice scarf
Sheer force
Poison jab
Earthquake
Brick break
Giga impact

This is a sheer force nidoking I am trying to take advantage of his slightly higher Atk and the use and sheer force as his hidden ability. Its purpose is to be a sweeper, dealing large amounts of damage in as little time as possible.
the only move there that makes use of sheer force is poison jab, making the other moves, especially giga impact, useless as far as sheer force. A better physical sheer force set would be

Nidoking@life orb
Sheer force
Poison jab
Earthquake
Fire Punch / Rock Slide
Ice Punch / Rock Slide

While earthquake doesn't make use of sheer force, its still a nice ground stab, allowing nidoking to hit stuff hard that would otherwise be a pain to remove such as rock pokemon, but is, damage wise, inferior to poison jab which gets a sheer force boost as well, plus you don't take LO recoil damage. Fire and ice punch are for coverage to hit grass/poisons, flying, ground, dragons, and bugs harder. Rock slide deserves a mention as it can hit the same stuff as ice punch mostly, as well as stuff fire punch would, but allows nidoking to remove fire pokemon without having to use earthquake.

Fruitt

SHARKEISHA
This is from 5th gen but it probably works for 6th gen because I doubt anything changed (the pokemon isn't available yet)

Porygon-Z @ Silk Scarf
Adaptability
EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Nature: Modest (+Sp Attack, -Attack)
Tri-Attack
Dark Pulse/ HP Psychic
Nasty Plot
Recover

Porygon-Z has a very high Special Attack to begin with, having a modest nature AND Adaptability (which increases STAB moves from 1.5x to 2x) AND a Silk Scarf (which increases Normal type move power) makes Porygon-Z dish out an absolutely ridiculous amount of damage with one Tri-Attack, which also has a chance to either burn, paralyze, or freeze the target. Also putting max Speed on it lets it out speed a vast amount of pokemon. Dark Pulse is a move that can help deal with Ghost types, which can't be hit by Tri-Attack, or HP Psychic to deal with the Fighting types that pose a huge threat to Porygon-Z. Nasty Plot can be used to set up on the opposing team if you have the chance, and could also be used to take out walls by maxing out the Special Attack stat. Recover is there because Porygon-Z has decent defenses to begin with, and can take a few hits, so you can recover health whenever given the chance. Obviously this Porygon-Z isn't really made to last long and has its weaknesses, it's mainly just for taking out a few pokemon (hopefully) before it's done in. Another item choice could be Choice Specs, but that would make it less versatile. I'm not too sure how good or bad this is, I'm not super competitive but from my experience with this (in B2 and W2), it worked really well. Porygon-Z isn't available yet in X/Y but I'm sure nothing changed about it, but I might be wrong. I'm open to changes and advice and constructive criticism so do as you please c:

X-Lucario

King of Losers
Nidoking@life orb
Sheer force
Poison jab
Earthquake
Fire Punch / Rock Slide
Ice Punch / Rock Slide

Yeah I hadn't thought about those only problem, Mcdanger is that the elemental punches don't have a tutor in the 6th gen

Be ready for a wall of text...

Hello! I'm new to the scene I guess, I've played pokemon for years, but this competitive stuff is brand new to me.

I've never dealt with ivs/evs, so im not even going to mention those.

I'm making a semi-competitive team; a team with competitive themes but mainly in battle spot and against friends.

I've pieced together what I've learned, and I've made a few ideas for a team.

Just letting you guys know, I want my team to not have any legendaries or starters, and to try to aim for pokemon that are effective against fighting types, particularly lucario.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confirmed

Gastrodon: Gastrodon is one of my favorites, and has only one weakness, Grass. Even though it is a 4x weakness, it is not used commonly enough to be a major threat imo. I don't know how you veterans think about 4x weaknesses, but gastrodon is most likely staying around.

Item: Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain

Moves:

- Earthquake/ Earth Power
- Scald/ Surf
- Recover
- Hidden Power Fire/ Ice Beam

Eelektross:
A lamprey-thing that has not a single weakness. Regardless of how you stand on gastrodon's 4x weakness, you cannot argue here. That being said, I have been warned against the move smack down, although most teams rarely have that move.

Item: Expert Band

Ability: Levitate

Moves

-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Aqua Tail
-Drain Punch

------------------------------------------------------------------

Roles

Tank ( Aggron or Steelix):
I already have two attackers, now I need a damage sponge. Aggron is a great attacker as well, and can become Mega Aggron. Steelix has a crapload of defense, and unlike aggron it does not have ten thousand weaknesses. I will update this with moves and abilities once I figure out which I will choose.

Flying Type (Volcorona or Skarmory):
Simple, fighting types are weak to flying, and I need a fly slave. Volcorona is a great attacker and is not too slow. However, it is quite frail and honestly will die to any water or rock type move. Skarmory has excellent defense and multiple resistances, but is on the slow side and has a small amount of damage output.

Weed or Leaf (Dragalge or Kingdra): IT'S NOT WHAT YOU THINK. They are both based on sea dragons, both weedy and leafy, I just forget which is which. I love them both, but I cannot have both. Dragalge is my favorite in this generation, and deals with those pesky fairies. Kingdra is also excellent. Honestly, if I cannot find a sixth I will have both .

Random (Houndoom, Scolipede, Sandslash, Musharna):
Well. I have an extra slot as you can see. Houndoom is good for getting rid of pesky psychics and gengars, Scolipede is a personal favorite and takes out fairies, Sandslash is SHINY, Musharna is an excellent support. Of course, Kingdra or Dragalge could also take this place.

Also, have a lvl 100 xerneas with pokerus for trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.