• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates 6.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Direksone

I dont like the idea of Swords Dance, setting up and still receiving Fire damage from the orb. About the EVs; if its gonna be bulky whats the use of Speed IVs, arent those 4 EVs in def gonna be more useful to achieve my goal as bulky bear than Speed?

About the punches, I'll switch Crunch for Thunderpunch, I wanted to achieve more coverage but I guess Crunch covers ghosts and psychics better.

Hevvy180

Mid-Caliber Trainer
I don't get it. If you're going for bulk, won't the orb just kill you faster? I mean, I get the Facade-Guts-status idea, but...

Misaki-chi

loves Rutger
Ahhh, where'd my post go -_-? I was going to say that Speed isn't worth it without Quick Feet, and you won't achieve much bulk with the recoil, so you may as well just use a bulky Choice Band set. Of course, Ursaring is not incredibly bulky anyway, and being able to switch moves is nice... Definitely Crunch > one of the punches. I think ThunderPunch is the one to replace it with, as you only want to be hitting Gyarados with that one. It would be nice to know what tier you intend on using the Ursaring in, though! I assumed OU, but NU and UU are quite different.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Alright! So what about this then!

Bulky Bear:
Ursaring @ Flame Orb - Guts
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

EVs: 252HP/252Atk/4Def, perhaps more Def and less HP?

Attacks:
- Facade talks for itself.
- Fire Punch> Type coverage, also takes care of potential Ghosts that might switch in.
- Earthquake> Type coverage, takes care of a LOT of types, therefor it's more useful to me than a fighting move
- Thunder Punch> Even more type coverage with this one.

Since this Bear will be in a PBR team, I prefer that over Diamond Wifi battles, I want to reach as much coverage as possible since youre mostly fighting with 3 pokes. EVs are set to be as bulky as possible since it's going to be on a normal team (no TR etc), hence the guts also. Fill me in with suggestions plx!:d
-

^ It's a risk, yes, but Ursaring abuses that ability perfectly. IMO, it is worth r=trading a bit of Durability for.

You might as well jump a lefties point and a little more defense.

On PBR, expect to see Ubers, cuz non-competitive 5 year olds obviously think that it's cool to do that.

If it's bulky bear, you might as well run Lefties, but personally, with defenses not something to be proud about, I would steer clear of bulky.

zapper22001

Join BLD
I don't really believe it's worth it to try and abuse Guts when your hold item is Lefties cause then you have to predict a status attack and your opponent might not have one =/. Flame Orb is the way to go.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
the bear needs more bulk and I need more power for this thing.
Dusknoir@Leftovers
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpA)
Ev's:252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Wil-o-wisp
Fire Punch
Thunderpunch
Pain Split.

Pain Spilt and Wil-o-wisp are pretty standard issue here, and so it's EV spread as it has 405 def and 307 SpD however it doesn't have enough attack power to really make Fire or Thunderpunch very threatening.

Considering Wil-o-Wisp helps to cover defense, would it be possible for anyone smarter than me to think that i could transfer some of it's defense ev's to it's atk? and if so how many?

Also Thunderpunch does a good job in battle, Fire Punch on the other hand not so much so what should I replace it with? Shadow Sneak/Punch or Earthquake?

i finished my Lucario and think i shouldnt have made it a special sweeper:

Lucario @ Wise Glasses
Inner Focus
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd
Dragon Pulse
Psychic
Aura Sphere
Calm Mind

even with speed EV's its still pretty slow, i love dragon pulse and psychic when opponents bring out super effective types, :p

777ICH777

Hey ya'll just a new little set I came up with for Typhlosion, one of my favorite pokemon. It's a little odd, but it has done pretty well for me. Here it is:
Typhlosion.gif

Typhlosion@Power Herb
Ability: Blaze
EV's: 252 Sp.A 4 Def 252 Speed
Nature: Modest
Moveset:
~Eruption
~Solarbeam
~Hidden Power Rock
~Overheat/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Moveset: So yeah that's the set. Most people use the scarf eruption typhlosion's, but this Typhlosion is meant to be more diverse while still hitting hard. Eruption is an obvious move on Typhlosion and help set's it apart from other fire types. Solarbeam w/ a power herb is a great move on any poke and takes people by surprise. Typhlosion is a great user of this, hitting it's water types counters for a large amount of quick damage. It also hit;s the Rock and ground types for massive damage. Hidden Power Rock allows Typhlosion to hit every pokemon in the UU environment alongside solarbeam and Eruption for neutral damage. HP rock hit's Altaria for a SE hit, as well as other fire types (Bar Blaziken and Camerupt). The last move is for another Fire type move after typhlosion's health goes down reducing the power of Eruption. Overheat is a powerful move, and when Typhlosion's health goes down enough to activate blaze, you have an ultra powerful attack. However, the -2 after overheat makes typhlosion switch, which is not fun considering fire types already have a hard enough time of getting in. Fire Blast is for a powerful, consistent move that does not lower typhlosion's Sp.A while still hitting hard. The last move is if you dislike the accuracy of Fire Blast, which is Flamethrower. Need helping choosing a last move as I don't know which one is the most productive.

Team Options:This Typhlosion benefits greatly from SR damage and other entry hazards, as they might turn some 2HKO's into OHKO's. Typhlosion also works well alongside a Rapid Spinner, destroying the rocks and other random crap that would power down Typhlosion's Eruption. On the topic on full power Eruption, it's a good idea to have a good Wish Passer who can restore any minimal damage done to Typhlosion. This Typhlosion has problems with some special walls, especially Chansey and Lanturn. That problem is solved by putting dugtrio on your team, trapping and killing these defensively weak pokemon. It's good to have a pokemon that can bait a T-wave or t-bolt from Lanturn so that you can bring in dugtrio for free.

EV's and Nature: I decided to make this Typhlosion a superb wall breaker while doing two things. One is running Modest to boost Typhlosion's Eruption damage as well as it's other moves while not dropping either of it's defenses. The second is to not split it's offensives to limit it's power.

So yeah, that's the Typhlosion. Though it has different niche than the scarf typhlosion, it still does an excellent job of wallbreaking due to it's powerful moves, great Special Attack, and good speed, as well as it's surprise factor. Please tell me whatcha think. Thanks.

I don't see the point of that set when you could just go for:

Typhlosion @Life Orb/Heat Rock/whatever
Blaze | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
~ Sunny Day/Fire Blast
~ Eruption
~ SolarBeam
~ HP Grass

Raito

HADOUKEN!
the bear needs more bulk and I need more power for this thing.
Dusknoir@Leftovers
Impish Nature(+Def, -SpA)
Ev's:252 Hp, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Wil-o-wisp
Fire Punch
Thunderpunch
Pain Split.

Shadow Sneak/Punch or Earthquake?

Shadow Sneak.

Lucario @ Wise Glasses
Inner Focus
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd
Dragon Pulse
Psychic
Aura Sphere
Calm Mind

even with speed EV's its still pretty slow, i love dragon pulse and psychic when opponents bring out super effective types, :p

If you still like Special Lucario, you might be better off with Vacuum Wave over Psychic and Dark Pulse over either Dragon Pulse or Calm Mind. If you drop Calm Mind, Expert Belt or Choice Specs may be good items to use instead of Wise Glasses.

If you want to use Physical instead, use 252 Atk evs instead of SpA, and Close Combat / Swords Dance / Extremespeed / (Crunch / Stone Edge) with Leftovers or Life Orb and an Adamant Nature.

Shadow Sneak.
To be honest Dusknoir needs Earthquake so it can take care of Heatran.

Lucario @ Choice Specs
Inner Focus Timid nature
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd
Hidden Power Ice
Vacuum Wave
Aura Sphere
Shadow Ball

Better set is this. Unless you don't want to breed for Hidden Power, in that case Dragon Pulse is ok. Timid nature for max speed (or you can just run enough EVs to beat things which aim to outspeed Adamant 252 Luke, which I don't know off the top of my head).

Misaki-chi

loves Rutger
^ It's a risk, yes, but Ursaring abuses that ability perfectly. IMO, it is worth trading a bit of Durability for.

Heracross does it a hell of a lot better.

Anyway I would max HP on Ursaring too, but I'm just saying don't expect it to tank, especially given residual damage and hazards -- if it's possible, test both maybe, and find which works out best with your team.

@ Lucario - Special Lucario is pretty ineffective, but if you can re-do it, I recomemnd SD, like Raito said. The choice between Stone Edge / Crunch (I recommend Crunch) is whether you want to hit Gyarados / Salamence / sort-of Gliscor or Rotom, Celebi, Cresselia (UU Cress xD), Latias, et al harder. If you're going with special, use specs - Lucario isn't bulky enough to set up Calm Minds, given the power is nothing on the power of an SD Close Combat.

Last edited:
Jolly 252 on Ursaring always, since it needs to be as fast as possible. It can't tank hits at all so there's zero point in investing in HP (unless you're in Trick Room). Ursaring is really designed to come in, smack something with Facade then gtfo unless it's sac material.

Better set is this. Unless you don't want to breed for Hidden Power, in that case Dragon Pulse is ok. Timid nature for max speed (or you can just run enough EVs to beat things which aim to outspeed Adamant 252 Luke, which I don't know off the top of my head).

i used an IV calculator and found out lucario has 31 IVs in Sp Atk.
thanks for the help, i'll defiantly use it :)

777ICH777

I don't see the point of that set when you could just go for:
Typhlosion @Life Orb/Heat Rock/whatever
Blaze | Timid | 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
~ Sunny Day/Fire Blast
~ Eruption
~ SolarBeam
~ HP Grass

I actually don't see the point of that set. Did you even read what that Typhlosion was supposed to do? It's not a scarf pokemon, it's not a sunnybeamer, it's a wall breaker, and is meant to hit hard right when it get's in. Power herb allows me to fire a solarbeam in one turn, so I can get a surprise kill on a pokemon that comes in. HP rock then gives Typhlosion excellent type coverage alongside a grass and fire move. The set you gave me is counterproductive and has really bad type coverage (Fire and Dragon types wall you). Life Orb is counterproductive with Eruption and is much more useful to use a move like fire blast for more power. And having two unSTAB moves is never a good idea on any pokemon. Whatever is not an item so if you are not gonna try don't write it.

i also have a PorygonZ, is it good-ish?

Porygod @ Life Orb
Modest, Adaptability
4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd
Nasty Plot
Ice Beam
Tri Attack
Discharge

i love my porygod, alot of effort in it :)

777ICH777

I think you should run T-bolt over discharge just because that set is looking for raw power instead of a chance of paralysis. You could consider a timid nature over modest, but I'm not sure how you intend to use it. Hope this helps.

Black Murder Heavangelon

Ow! Ow! Harder! Ow!
I think he'd want Discharge to induce paralysis to make up for the loss of speed with Modest nature. It won't hit as hard as Thunderbolt, but it has the same PP, which makes them equal. Plus, a little paralysis support is always a good thing. I think it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.