• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates 6.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Trapinch

Mono-Teams Master
Oh, man, ANY heatran can just come in and has statistical 50% chance of demolishing your team with FF fire blast.
With the absence of Latias, Infernape has become one of the most dangerous sweepers, and many previously rare sets such as Swords Dance and Nasty Plot are finding some use. This Infernape can be considered somewhat gimmicky, but when you see how well it does, you will be surprised.
Both of mentioned ones are set-up sweepers.Your Inferno also begins with non-damaging move.Worse - it burns.Got it?
Swellow can come in ALL of them (except stronger priority users - not your) and send them to heavens with even neutral facade(119.7% - 141.0%)

Last edited:

hobby

Because Swellow is such a common threat in OU that everyone should stop using status in order to prevent it from gaining an advantage... Seriously people, while examples are good, they probably should be better thought out. Also calze, it should be fairly obvious that they are using their most powerful moves against the Infernape (either STAB, SE or both).

On the note of Heatran, while yes it benefits from the Will-O-Wisp switch in, it can do that against any Infernape, and at least half the reason this set works is because of the assumption that it is like every other Infernape. Obviously it cannot take Heatran by itself, but the threat of CC (even though it is not present) will more often than not be enough to keep Heatran away (and even if it does get in most teams should be prepared for it).

It is a solid set, a little gimmicky, but the calcs show that it works. Not as good at breaking stall as say Taunt Toxic Gliscor (simply because Toxic poison is far better at ripping apart stall than a burn), but a nice alternative to the standard. I personally can't see any obvious changes that need to be made, only 20% of Gliscor run more than 216 so you should be fine with the current set of speed EVs.

Last edited:

Mail Time

Banned
Heatran tends to do this set better. Why can't rest talk gyara just rest off the burn though? You haven't explained what moves they are using to infernape.

Im sorry, but you are stupid.

Heatran does wall the set, yes, but name one Heatran that would actually come in on an Ape other than ScarfTran. Flamethrower could probably replaced by a fighting STAB too, as it still hits Lucario, although a change in nature will need to be made.

Good point, Swellow can come in on my burn. With Swellow such a dangerous threat, I should probably change this.

Yeah, it is a little gimmicky Hobby, but I am actually quite amazed at the calculations. Wow, only 20% of Glis run above 216 Spe, I expected a lot more. Thanks

hobby

Yeah, it is a little gimmicky Hobby, but I am actually quite amazed at the calculations. Wow, only 20% of Glis run above 216 Spe, I expected a lot more. Thanks

While that was the number from the May Shoddy stats, not much in the metagame has changed to warrant much of a shift in that direction anyway...

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
I came up with two movesets, one for Venusaur and one for Blastoise. Both are pretty gimmicky, but tell me what you think.

3.png

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Overgrow ~ Calm
252 HP ~ 128 SpDef ~ 128 Def
Leech Seed
Block
Sleep Powder
Sludge Bomb

The strategy is to bring Venusaur in after one of my Pokemon faint or to resist a hit, and then use Block as the first move. Before the Block is made, though, the opponent can either stay in or switch. Whatever Pokemon they have Blocked will be forced to stay in. Venusaur then must take one hit before using Sleep Powder (or if it misses, a couple of hits). Then, use Leech Seed. Every turn, the opponent's Pokemon will lose 1/8 of their HP, while I gain that 1/8 PLUS 1/16 of my health from Leftovers. Sludge Bomb is there to not be walled by a Taunt user and to hit Grass types (who are not affected by Leech Seed).

I just need help on the defensive stats. I know I want 252 in HP, just not sure about the SpDef and Defense split of the other 258 EPs...

~

Next is CounterCoat Blastoise.

9.png

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Torrent ~ Bold
252 HP ~ 200 Def ~ 56 SpDef
Counter
Mirror Coat
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump/Surf

It's another gimmick. But it always comes as a surprise! Come in against a physical attacker, use Counter, and they faint. So they opponent thinks they can just use a special attacker. Use Mirror Coat, that Pokemon faints. Blastoise won't last much longer than that. However, its good for one or two KOs.

The other two moves are useful, too. Rapid Spin is for...well, the obvious: spinning away entry hazards. I want to put Hydro Pump in the set, being the more powerful option over Surf. Since Blastoise is bulky, some may Surf is the better option. But, since Blastoise will only last a few turns, why not just use Hydro Pump?

~

I'm thinking about putting these two on the same team. I can make Venusaur's EVs 200 SpDef and 56 Def to make it a special-ish wall, and Blastoise can be the defensive-ish wall.

...Too gimmicky?

Brave Birdy

Feraligatr.gif

Feraligatr @Leichi Berry
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Return
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Feraligatr switches in, subs up, swords dances until subs are destroyed, then sweeps with priority Aqua Jet. Return is really there for those who resist Aqua Jet. Opinions? Do you think he could make it in OU?

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Venusaur @ Leftovers
Overgrow ~ Calm
252 HP ~ 252 SpDef ~ 4 Def
Leech Seed
Block
Sleep Powder
Energy ball

Energy ball has better type coverage is poison is walled easily by steel. You could also go with a 252HP 176Def 80SDef or something like that.

Smogons tiers are based on usage, though, and therefore change over time.
I guess my questions is this: Would this Gatr do well against OU pokemon?
What I meant by "Feraligatr isn't really usable in OU" is that it really isn't that good in OU. Doesn't hit hard enough, and as such Lucario tends to do this set better.

hobby

Sludge Bomb is probably the better option to be completely honest, the aim of the set is to abuse Leech Seed, a strategy only blocked by Grass types, who resists Energy Ball but are weak to Sludge Bomb. Overall type coverage is irrelevant if it prevents the set from working.

Eaglehawk

Banned
U really need substitute over Block. Block increases the chance of getting murdered to death if you lock into a sweeper, whereas Substitute becomes almost unbreakable due to the combined replenishing of both Lefties and Leech Seed. Sleep Powder isn't really appropriate for a Subseed set, tbh. I could recommend Earthquake or Synthesis to fill in. Earthquake is to cover for steel types in UU, which are totally immune to Sludge Bomb. Synthesis allows rather quick recovery when you're subbed down to low amounts of HP.

swiftshadowz

Scizor

- Agility
- X-Scissor/u-turn
- Iron Head/roost
- Brick Break
Ability: Swarm
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

uh is this a good set? i just got a scizor from the event and i wana train it plz help not sure bout what evs to put
suggest an item too plz btw i got most of this from serebii but i changed it a bit
edit: i had life orb as an item but i duno if it will work well in this set

Last edited:
That event Scizor is pretty much trash tbh, and the only use it has is SubSwarmSalacReversal (which is a gimmick).

Scizor @Salac Berry/Liechi Berry
Swarm | Jolly | 12 HP/244 Atk/252 Spe
~ Substitute
~ Swords Dance/Agility
~ Reversal
~ X-Scissor

Sub down to nab a pinch berry with a boost and sweep. Gimmicky and risky though.

The Trapinch

Mono-Teams Master
Feraligatr.gif

Feraligatr @Leichi Berry
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Return
Adamant Nature
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Feraligatr switches in, subs up, swords dances until subs are destroyed, then sweeps with priority Aqua Jet. Return is really there for those who resist Aqua Jet. Opinions? Do you think he could make it in OU?
iirc this set was posted not long time ago.
It was also said that skarm isn't 2koed with +3 AJ.
Enough to say.

Energy ball has better type coverage is poison is walled easily by steel. You could also go with a 252HP 176Def 80SDef or something like that.

1.Energy ball still sucks if it's your weapon for steels
2.You don't need to hit steels(just steal their health), you need to hit grass types who wall LS...

Last edited:

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
But in general, grass is a better attacking type than poison, especially due to the fact that it has more super effectives.

hobby

But when looking at a set you do not only look at an individual move, you look at the entire set as a whole and see what it is trying to do, in this case, the set was trying to abuse Leech Seed, meaning that the one slot it had for an offensive move had to be able to take care of those things that block Leech Seed, which are Grass types. In general, yes Grass is a better option, but when looking at the bigger picture, it is quite clear that a Grass type move would be a total waste on that set.

Odd4Life

I was looking at Poliwrath on Smogon and saw that it didn't have a good enough special attack stat to work off of. I decided to try and make a choice specs set to surprise people (Just as a note, I know a fair amount about competitive battling, but I can't make an EV spread to save my life =P).

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 68 HP/252 Special Attack/40 Special Defense/148 Speed
Modest
- Surf
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psychic/Vacuum Wave

EV Explanation:

I thought that I would start off by maxing its Special Attack. Then I thought I might as well make it take physical and special hits equally, hence the 40 Special Defense EV's. I put 148 Speed EV's to outspeed the fastest defensive Altaria set listed on Smogon by one point (The fastest defensive set for Altaria usually runs 212 Speed, according to Smogon; 213 speed on Poliwrath is always faster before a DD, assuming both have 31 Speed IV's). I dumped the rest into HP for a bit more bulkiness

Move Explanation:

Surf: STAB Move, nothing much else.
Focus Blast: Same as above.
Ice Beam: Hits Grass and Flying types (and possibly Altaria, if it is defensive hasn't set up with Dragon Dance).
Psychic: Mostly filler, could be used to hurt opposing fighting types and poison types.
Vacuum Wave: Priority move to finish off a Pokemon.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
You know, It's low special attack clearly shows that it can't run a specs set. Things like ludicolo, gorebyss, omastar and milotic are just better.

Status
Not open for further replies.