• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Single Rates 6.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

777ICH777

[Ampharos];10867089 said:
Clefable@ToxicOrb
252Def 160Atk 96SpDef
Curious Nature
FirePunch
Facade
Cosmic Power
Softboiled

Pretty self-explanatory. Go for Cosmic Power, hopefully force a switch or survive long enough to heal up. Repeat until +6+6, then start attacking. Toxic is the best status to use because there's no attack lowering. I'm not running life orb and hope for a good status because I might get stuck with paralysis or burn, which would cripple me. Facade+STAB+status is slightly stronger than DoubleEdge+STAB+LO anyway. I run fire punch for steel types, though it does leave rock types to run in. FirePunch also allows me to hit ghosts.

What I need the most advise on are the EVs and the alternate attack

Interesting set, but could you explain the ev's? What do they allow you to do?

[Ampharos]

They best be trollin
Interesting set, but could you explain the ev's? What do they allow you to do?
I have no specific plans for the EVs. I figured a bunch in defense to bring it up to par with SpD and then throw some in Atk+SpD to bring them all up.

I'm not very good with EVs, or at least giving them specific rolls, they're mainly there for placeholder value and/or a boost.

ExplodingMuk

Cheese and Crackers
Defensive Wall / Hazer

Hippowodon@Leftovers
Impish
252 Hp / 252 Def \ 252 Hp / 172 Def / 78 Att
- Stealth Rock / Crunch / Stone Edge
- Roar
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Evs: 1 - Just a basic 252 / 252 / 4 set, takes hits on the physical side incredibly well.
2 - This Set allows me to hit harder at the expense of being hit harder.

Moveset: Stealth Rock is used if I don't have a SR lead. Crunch would be the alternative, mainly for things like Celebi and Shaymin. Stone Edge would be for Skarmory mainly. Roar is there for Hazing those Dragon Dancers and Swords Dancers. Toxic is there as an annoyance, and it is a safe move in general. Earthquake is there because it is gets STAB and decent coverage.

I've used this set (or similar) before, and it gets incredibly annoying. The only thing that worries me is Skarmory, but I could Roar him away. Toxic IMO is probably the safest move on anything with Earthquake, as Steels and Poisons don't tend to switch in on it.

777ICH777

[Ampharos];10867213 said:
I have no specific plans for the EVs. I figured a bunch in defense to bring it up to par with SpD and then throw some in Atk+SpD to bring them all up.

I'm not very good with EVs, or at least giving them specific rolls, they're mainly there for placeholder value and/or a boost.

@Ampharos-Okay seriously? Ev's are one of the most important parts of making a pokemon. Pokemon is not just a "Make a cool set and see how it goes". You need to give that pokemon ev's to allow it to do certain things, whether is is to survive a certain attack or to KO a certain opponent. Like on a gallade, it wouldn't make sense to run a Swords dancer set while putting the EV's into Special attack and Defense. Since you're not very good with Ev's you should definitely check out the guide on it. You should use the damage calculator on psypokes while planning ev's. You definitely need to learn what ev's are if you ever hope to do well with ANY pokemon. On that note i cannot give you a fair rating of your Clefable set, but I would suggest running max hp because it will be getting a boost in it's defenses from CP.

Defensive Wall / Hazer

Hippowodon@Leftovers
Impish
252 Hp / 252 Def \ 252 Hp / 172 Def / 78 Att
- Stealth Rock / Crunch / Stone Edge
- Roar
- Toxic
- Earthquake

Evs: 1 - Just a basic 252 / 252 / 4 set, takes hits on the physical side incredibly well.
2 - This Set allows me to hit harder at the expense of being hit harder.

Moveset: Stealth Rock is used if I don't have a SR lead. Crunch would be the alternative, mainly for things like Celebi and Shaymin. Stone Edge would be for Skarmory mainly. Roar is there for Hazing those Dragon Dancers and Swords Dancers. Toxic is there as an annoyance, and it is a safe move in general. Earthquake is there because it is gets STAB and decent coverage.

I've used this set (or similar) before, and it gets incredibly annoying. The only thing that worries me is Skarmory, but I could Roar him away. Toxic IMO is probably the safest move on anything with Earthquake, as Steels and Poisons don't tend to switch in on it.

And for your set exploding muk, I would run SR if you don't have another SR user, but if not i would run Slack off because Skarmory is not going to take any damage from Stone edge anyways. So i guess it would be a good idea to run Magnezone with it to trap and kill Skarm, then your Hippowdon can take on the rest of the metagame. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I was battling in Shoddy today, when I saw a guy with a very impressive Swalot. Now my team slightly lacks power and stuff, but this Swalot was real impressive and I want to have you people's opinion on it. I don't know the EVs and nature unfortunately but I'd expect they go to bulk and speed.

Swalot@Black Sludge
Yawn
Protect
Block
Nightmare

Yeah. Pretty impressive, eh?

Bulldogs

Banned
This was the likely spread. 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD . I think I'll give that set a go.

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
Thanks, don't forget the nature.

Bulldogs

Banned
This spread is actually better 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD The nature was probably Calm

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
*thumbsup* VM me and let me know how it went.

[Ampharos]

They best be trollin
@Ampharos-Okay seriously? Ev's are one of the most important parts of making a pokemon. Pokemon is not just a "Make a cool set and see how it goes". You need to give that pokemon ev's to allow it to do certain things, whether is is to survive a certain attack or to KO a certain opponent. Like on a gallade, it wouldn't make sense to run a Swords dancer set while putting the EV's into Special attack and Defense. Since you're not very good with Ev's you should definitely check out the guide on it. You should use the damage calculator on psypokes while planning ev's. You definitely need to learn what ev's are if you ever hope to do well with ANY pokemon. On that note i cannot give you a fair rating of your Clefable set, but I would suggest running max hp because it will be getting a boost in it's defenses from CP.
I understand what EVs do, I know how to calculate them and whatnot. I just haven't bothered calculating "Oh, I need this many to survive this attack, I better invest 48 in this stat" As I don't breed for IVs, I would need to calculate them too if I truly wanted to know exactly how many I'd need to survive. But I don't, so with what I have, I'm going for the basics of just boosting the stats. I'm not dumb, if you saw, I had intentions of raising the lower stats as to make it more bulky and the attack one to obviously raise it's attack. You don't see any SpA or Spe EVs put in there because I don't plan on using them.

I'll consider running 252HP, and if anyone else would like to advise where I should invest the remains, feel free.

777ICH777

I was just confused on how you did ev's because you said they just kind of sounded right there lol. Here people assume that you are using pokemon with perfect iv's like from pokesav or Action replay. I'd give cleable an impish nature to take physical attacks easier to begin with since it's her weaker defensive stat. You should make her defenses pretty close to equal, and put the rest into Atk. And yes Max Hp is a must on all tanking pokemon, and that's what yours is meant to do. Sorry about last night if I sounded cranky, i was just a little ****** off about something lol.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Why can't swalot have toxic? Nightmare and block is never used. Even curse is more often used.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I was just randomly thinking of leads I could put on a team and I came up with this.

Gengar@Focus Sash
Timid
4 HP/252 SpA/ 252 Speed
-Taunt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power (Water)
-Destiny Bond

Basically you Taunt first to stop SR/Taunt or any other non-attack move, then attack. Shadow Ball is STAB, and HP Water is for back-up (half of the top 10 leads are Ground/Fire/Steel/Rock.) And of course, Destiny Bond when the focus sash is broken. Some bad things that I see are the opponent attacking right off the bat (Could still DB, just not Taunt, if they out-speed me.), and being out-sped (which is unlikely.) So could this work? Lol? :p

Last edited:

ExplodingMuk

Cheese and Crackers
The biggest problems for that set are Metagross, Empoleon and the much-less-used-now-a-day Weavile, as anything with priority moves screw you completely. Other than that, the only problems I see are against weather leads. I would, however, put a priority move like Sucker Punch, so you can kill Azelf and Aerodactyl. Perhaps over DB. This way, you can Shadow Ball/HP and bring them down to 1, then sucker punch before they kill you, because you will likely be at 1 also.

P.S.: I like this set, so I a, going to try it out on my next team.

Last edited:

Bulldogs

Banned
Why can't swalot have toxic? Nightmare and block is never used. Even curse is more often used.

what does usage have to do with anthing?

Noctourniquet

∆∆∆

Who said it can't? It's up to you what you want to use. Personally, I would give this a go;
• Swalot @ Leftovers
• 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
• Careful Nature
• Toxic
• Stockpile
• Earthquake
• Block
Use this set if you want a dedicated Toxistaller. I just made it up on the spot, and tbh, Swalot isn't too great so I don't know how well it will work, but mehh. The given EVs allow for best possible defences. EQ is to at least attempt to hurt the Steel-Types that would otherwise ruin this set. Skarmory owns you, however, but this should not be used in OU.

[Ampharos]

They best be trollin
I'd give cleable an impish nature to take physical attacks easier to begin with since it's her weaker defensive stat. You should make her defenses pretty close to equal, and put the rest into Atk. And yes Max Hp is a must on all tanking pokemon, and that's what yours is meant to do.
It's all good.
When you mean put the defenses close to equal, do you mean stat total, or EV total?

Hey everyone. I have a bug on my smogon account so i've been trying to build a team while i'm waiting for it to get fixed. For this team I want to make sure my opponent doesn't set up SR so I thought to use this as a lead.

dpmfa121.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Grass Knot
- Recover

I designed this as an anti-SR lead. I've tried to make it work against various types of SR leads, as well as other common leads. Here are some scenarios I have come up with:

Vs. Suicide SR Leads
Starmie is out-sped by most of these leads (I believe), and doesn't have access to many set up moves, so the opponent first uses SR rather than taunt. I use rapid spin, taking away the rocks and breaking the opponents sash. The opponent now has to choose either to set up SR again, attack, or in the case of Azelf, self destruct before I KO him myself. The second two options leave the opponent Stealth Rock-less with a KO'd lead. The first option leaves them with a KO'd lead, and I can still rapid spin the rocks away.

Vs. Bulky SR Leads
I believe the Modest nature, along with Life Orb and 252 SAtk EVs allow surf to have about a 100% chance to 2HKO all of these leads. On opponents with access to Explosion, I rapid spin after SR is set up, if they have a chance to set them up. Starmie out-speeds most of the bulkier leads, giving him the upper hand.

The EVs give Starmie a 100% chance to 2HKO most SR users with surf. I wasn't sure what he should be outspeeding so I gave him 136 Speed EVs to allow him to outspeed base 100's with a neutral nature and max Speed EVs. I put the rest into HP but i don't know what I really should be doing with these "left over" EVs. The 3rd moveslot is for coverage, but i don't really know what I should be covering as I can't test it on shoddy. Also I'm not sure if I should change recover out for another attacking move for more coverage. Please help me out on this set I could really use some more opinions.

Wow that was really long sorry!

ExplodingMuk

Cheese and Crackers
Here is a special wall I made:

Bronzong@Leftovers
Sassy
252 HP / 252 SpDef / 4 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic / Hypnosis
- Hypnosis / Explosion / Rest / Psychic

EVs: I just wanted to max out special defense, because I have Hippowdon to take Physical hits. I am also think about a 176 SpDef / 80 Def spread.

Moveset: Stealth Rock is a good support move, and Bronzong is my Stealth Rocker. Gyro Ball is a great STAB move, and my low speed helps. Toxic is still one of the best moves out there. Hypnosis is a great support move, and double status has it's benefits. Explosion is decent, and is great for ending matches. Rest is to live longer, obviously. Psychic would be for slower pokemon and ones that resist Steel. Steels would wall this set without Hypnosis, but I have an alternate way to KO them.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.