• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Competitive Singles Rate

rtucker913

The good 'ol days
MY TURN!!! i'll do blastoise gen 1

Blastoise @
Ability: wut?
Evs: 234atk/283def/232spee/254spec/
Nature: unknown

Hydro Pump
Bite
Surf
Strength

This Blastoise is level 100, and it can knock out pokemon in almost 1 hit.

ZachAttackk

curselax pwn
MY TURN!!! i'll do blastoise gen 1

Blastoise @
Ability: wut?
Evs: 234atk/283def/232spee/254spec/
Nature: unknown

Hydro Pump
Bite
Surf
Strength
\

Why two water moves on this blastoise?

Rate My Sweepers!

Haunter @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
Evs: Mainly Speed and Health (I don't know the exact numbers)
Nature: Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Curse
- Dream Eater
- Shadow Ball
Strategy:
My plan is to send it out and immediately use hypnosis to disable the other pokemon. I will then lay a curse on it and use dream eater to get health back from the curse. The black sludge will also help with that. If the pokemon is weak to dark attacks or is almost dead I can just take it out with a shadow ball. I like this plan because the opponent cannot do anything and once I have layed a curse and got my health back up they are pretty much dead. The dream eaters do a fair amount of damage and restore me well shadow ball can knock them out quickly.

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
Evs: Attack and Speed
Nature: Naughty
-Roar
-Iron Tail
-Extreme Speed
-Overheat
Strategy: I will start with my Arcanine and use roar as my first move. Hopefully this will confuse my opponent and wreck his strategy. I will then switch out to a different pokemon to confuse him more and free the Arcanine from its choice band. When I come back to him I will use one of his extremely powerful moves against the pokemon my opponent has out.

Hariyama @ Soft Sand
Ability:Thick Fat
Evs: Defense and Attack
Nature: Brave
-Belly Drum
-Earthquake
-Endure
-Reversal
Strategy:
I will probably use this as my second pokemon after Arcanine. I will start with a belly drum and then sweep with earthquake. The soft sand will help me a lot with that. If I ever get low on health I will use endure and then once I am down to 1 hp I will use reversal and hopefully take them out.

RoG Shinigami

Coolest Guy in Pkmn
Jirachi@Leftovers
Ability:Serene Grace
Evs:/252 hp/224 sp.d/32 sp/
Nature:Careful
-Wish
-Iron Head
-Protect
-Fire Punch

-Strategy: I usually switch into my jirachi when I know my team is going to get hit by a dragon move or to set up a wish for one of my other pokemon. I originally had a para/flinch jirachi but I never had the time to use thunderwave so I figured fire punch would catch the enemy off guard a little bit. Protect is just to either stall time when the other pkmn is posioned, or to figure out what move im going to get attacked by if I think the pokemon is holding a choice item. Last but not least iron head is to flinch the heck out of the other pokemon (usually annoying walls) to the point of KO.

white_snow

Machamp@PoisonBarb
Guts
Hardy
HP186 A197 D127 SA99 SD117 S96
Poison Jab
Return
Earthquake
DynamicPunch

This Machamp is definately NOT good enough for competive gameplay. The item is only a 10% boost, while Choice Band raises attack 1.5x. Get No Guard as the ability that way Dynamic Punch will 100% hit. if you run a choice band set use Close Combat, Payback, Ice Punch and Bullet Punch. EV's as 252 HP, 252 Atk and 4 Spe.

cloud1107

sd feraligatr or dd feraligatr

Hey guy.. Ok I'm trying to get back into pokemon again.. So I'm restarting my soul silver game.. I've never battled online before so I'm going to try my hardest to explain everything.. I can't decide bewteen a sd feraligatr or dd feraligatr..

SD Feraligatr@Letfovers
Ability: torrent
Ev: 4hp. 252 attack. 252 speed
Jolly nature

Sword dance
Earthquake
Ice punch
Aquajet

Ok first off, regarding I could change the evs and put 56 into hp..just to give hime some bulk since there's no speed boost. Not sure on that really. Ok so I've given him aquajet which is his stab and priority to help against anything faster.. EQ for any steel types . And ice puch to take out grass types like sceptile.. Sword dance does boost his attack to 600 plus.. But I'm worried about the speed..leftovers are in cause if I add the extra hp he could recovery some health which could allow me to get an extra sd in..

DD feraligatr@lifeorb
Ability : torrent
Ev: 4 hp. 2525 att. 252 speed
Adamant

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Ice punch
Waterfall

Ok so this gatr is more a speedy type.. He gets the plus 1 to speed and att from dd. And can come in EQ any steel types cause he will be faster..minus scizor..ice punch for bulky grass types and dragons.... And waterfall is his stab and it may flinch too.. Lifeorb is given for the extra power..

Ok so I'm not sure which gatr set is better for competitive play.. I'd like something consistent..Please excuse my noobness.. Thanks in advance

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
Pheonix of doom your rate is in this spoiler changes in Bold

Gengar @ Black Sludge / Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 HP
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt / Hypnosis / Hidden Power [Fire] / Substitute
- Thunderbolt / Hypnosis / Hidden Power [Fire] / Substitute

This almost definitely wont work for a few reasons, haunter is weaker than gengar in every aspect. After the opponent is asleep there is a very large chance he will switch out. After your opponent is cursed he will also definitely switch out. Just run a 4 attacks gengar or 3 attack sub with TIMID nature.

Arcanine @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire / Intimidate
Evs: 252 Attk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
-Thunder Fang
-Iron Head
-Extreme Speed
-Flare Blitz

Roar goes last, this isnt good for a pokemon that is so offensive, replace that, overheat is a special move and isnt boosted by choice band or the EV choice, Replace with flare blitz. Nature should be adamant or jolly and if possible try and get an intimidate arcanine for it.

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Ability:Guts
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Attk / 4 def
Nature: Brave / Adamant
-Close Combat
-Earthquake / Thunder Punch / Payback
-fake Out
-Ice Punch

This set also most probably wont work because you will take a hit that will do more than 50% of ur hp and belly drum will fail, even if it doesnt then hariyama is slow and will not go first text turn. I Suggest an entirely different set Which is listed above.

Crimson-Wolf

Dragonite@
Ability:inner focus
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Attk / 252 speed
Nature: Jolly

Looking for a decent moveset for my up and coming dragonite and reccomended item. Known information is above. Was thinking of keeping Extremespeed but can change if it's worthwhile.

Janske

Gliscor moveset

Hello, Id like to find out more information about my gliscor moveset. I have 2 options/movesets for it but I'd like some professional information from the ones who know better:D

Okay so here is the 1st Gliscor:

Wall Gliscor @ leftovers
Nature : Impish
Ability : sand veil
EVs : 252 Def/252 Hp (or sp def as I leave this up to u guys)

Moves:

~Swords dance
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Ice fang/fire fang

Swords dance is basically to power up his attack as he did no receive any EV in this. When safely switched in to counter, he can make use of swords dance (hoping the opponent either switches out). If he decides to stay in, his massive defence should at least be able to survive 2hits so he can make fully use of this move.

Roost is a great combo with swords dance. While ur powering up with a swords dance, any damage dealt can be roosted off. It also makes sure an incoming ice type only does 2x damage instead of 4x which he should normally survive.

Earthquake is stabmove (enough said:p)

Now here is a dillema of weather using fire fang or ice fang. Fire fang should deal with incoming grass or ice pokemon. Ice fang is also an option as it is very effective on grass, flying and dragon (and even gliscor itself). I dont know which fang is the best here though I think ice fang covers more.

I should also note that stone edge seems like a good option for this 4th slot, however the accuracy (even less in sandstorm with lots of sand veil users) is not so reliable.

Gliscor number 2

Sweeping Gliscor@ leftovers/life orb (undecided)
Nature : Jolly
Ability : sand veil/hyper cutter (undecided)
EVs : 252 Speed/252 Attack
Moves:

~Stealth rock
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Ice fang/fire fang

Now for the item it's a bit preferance I think, though I need u guys to help me out on this. My idea on leftovers on a gliscor does seem weird at 1st glance when roost is in there, but with 0 EVs in defence he can take all the life he can get. Then again without a swords dance to power up, life orb might do the trick to give u that extra damage as u roost up afterwards.

Ability is also a bi of a twist. Though sand veil is probably prefered, hyper cutter on this moveset is not a bad idea. The reason is simple, without acces to Swords dance to power himself up again, he can be in trouble by incoming intimdaters such as gyarados/salamence/... With hyper cutter u dont have to worry 1 bit and can just simply ice fang away. Then again I dunno if its worth it for a few intimidaters to use this over sand veil.

Now the moves. Now stealth rock is a decent choice as he has a high speed and should be able to put up at least 1-2 rocks before dying. It's really a move u use whenever u can or upon a free switch-in. (ull be rewarded later i guess? lol)

Roost, to heal off life orb (if life orbed) and regular damage

EQ (stab move, enough said:p)

Fire fang/Ice fang , same as above

Let me know which one u prefer and why and if they need any change. Id love to listen to all of ur answers, tyvm:)

J Walker

Childish
Shaymin-Modest-@Leftovers
Natural Cure- 152Spe/103SpA/152Def/152SpD
-Seed Flare
-Earth Power
-Aromatherapy
-Synthesis

Kind of a supporter to go with Suicune and Deoxys-D as my defensive core. Full Team Deoxys-D/Nidoking/Suicune/Shaymin/Arcanine/Shaymin

Janske

Dragonite@
Ability:inner focus
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Attk / 252 speed
Nature: Jolly

Looking for a decent moveset for my up and coming dragonite and reccomended item. Known information is above. Was thinking of keeping Extremespeed but can change if it's worthwhile.

I'd go with the following.

@ life orb

Moves:

~D Dance (main move)
~Outrage/D claw (preferance)
~Earthquake
~Stone edge/aqua tail/Fire punch/thunderpunch

Now cuz ur life orbed, u can freely choose between ur attacks. Since Dragonite has a massive attack but a rather average speed, this is the best move to use! After 1 D dance, he can almost OHKO every pokemon with outrage that doesnt resist it and should be able to outspeed anything that isnt scarfed.

If u run outrage, u are trapped into it however, but like i said before, u will be able to OHKO almost everything after a D dance. With D claws this isnt the case (however ur not locked into 1 specific move like outrage)

Earthquake is perfect for all steel types (except skarmory and bronzong), good coverage and hits most pokemon a decent chunk into their life. (mainly used for heatrans)

For ur last move its a bit preferance. Stone edge will be supereffective for gyarados and does normal damage to skarmory but still leave u with bronzong, one of the best counters to dragonite. U can also run fire punch to overcome that problem. Though it has fewer power than stone edge, it also covers ice types (which is the fear of every dragon) and grass pokemon. Aqua tail will deal to most pokemon neutral damage, decent coverage. Thunderpunch is mainly used if u really dont like skarmory and gyarodos, or bulky water types that carry usually ice beam to take out dragonite.

I hope this was helpful to u;)

J Walker

Childish
Hello, Id like to find out more information about my gliscor moveset. I have 2 options/movesets for it but I'd like some professional information from the ones who know better:D

Okay so here is the 1st Gliscor:

Wall Gliscor @ leftovers
Nature : Impish
Ability : sand veil
EVs : 252 Def/252 Hp (or sp def as I leave this up to u guys)

Moves:

~Swords dance
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Ice fang/fire fang

Swords dance is basically to power up his attack as he did no receive any EV in this. When safely switched in to counter, he can make use of swords dance (hoping the opponent either switches out). If he decides to stay in, his massive defence should at least be able to survive 2hits so he can make fully use of this move.

Roost is a great combo with swords dance. While ur powering up with a swords dance, any damage dealt can be roosted off. It also makes sure an incoming ice type only does 2x damage instead of 4x which he should normally survive.

Earthquake is stabmove (enough said:p)

Now here is a dillema of weather using fire fang or ice fang. Fire fang should deal with incoming grass or ice pokemon. Ice fang is also an option as it is very effective on grass, flying and dragon (and even gliscor itself). I dont know which fang is the best here though I think ice fang covers more.

I should also note that stone edge seems like a good option for this 4th slot, however the accuracy (even less in sandstorm with lots of sand veil users) is not so reliable.

Gliscor number 2

Sweeping Gliscor@ leftovers/life orb (undecided)
Nature : Jolly
Ability : sand veil/hyper cutter (undecided)
EVs : 252 Speed/252 Attack
Moves:

~Stealth rock
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Ice fang/fire fang

Now for the item it's a bit preferance I think, though I need u guys to help me out on this. My idea on leftovers on a gliscor does seem weird at 1st glance when roost is in there, but with 0 EVs in defence he can take all the life he can get. Then again without a swords dance to power up, life orb might do the trick to give u that extra damage as u roost up afterwards.

Ability is also a bi of a twist. Though sand veil is probably prefered, hyper cutter on this moveset is not a bad idea. The reason is simple, without acces to Swords dance to power himself up again, he can be in trouble by incoming intimdaters such as gyarados/salamence/... With hyper cutter u dont have to worry 1 bit and can just simply ice fang away. Then again I dunno if its worth it for a few intimidaters to use this over sand veil.

Now the moves. Now stealth rock is a decent choice as he has a high speed and should be able to put up at least 1-2 rocks before dying. It's really a move u use whenever u can or upon a free switch-in. (ull be rewarded later i guess? lol)

Roost, to heal off life orb (if life orbed) and regular damage

EQ (stab move, enough said:p)

Fire fang/Ice fang , same as above

Let me know which one u prefer and why and if they need any change. Id love to listen to all of ur answers, tyvm:)

having only ice fang doesnt give you the best coverage, Steel types with ice beam or hp ice will wreck gliscor. Eq is a good idea instead of s rocks, but you still wont be able to touch bronzongs.

Last edited:

SoulSilverSolomon

Kyogre Worshiper
Shuckle!!!

I've recently been looking over the seemingly defensive beast that is SHUCKLE. Only 'seemingly' because of it's typing.

I don't think I have ever seen it used in a remotely high tier (if ever) in competitive battling, so I tried to work out an effective moveset for it, other than the one supplied by Serebii.

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry

- Substitute
- Power Trick
- Gyro Ball/EQ
- Rest

Trait: Sturdy
EVs and Nature:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

In a nutshell - Get the Sub up and running, this is pretty much essential I think. Flip your Attack and Defense stats with Power Trick - you now have an Attack Stat of 580 plus. Hit with Gyro Ball or EQ. (Gyro Ball could be huge if the opponent is lightning quick, but could be tiny if a slow beastie is switched in. EQ is reliable damage, huge type coverage only missing Flying types and Levitaters). Rest and the Chesto are there to be annoying and enable a quicker replacement Sub.

If you find yourself in a spot of bother, you can always switch your stats back and Rest (not necessarily in that order) and start the process again by Subbing up.

Any thoughts? Is this completely impractical? Or may it have a niche it can fit into? I don't know the answers to these questions. All i know is that it worked for me so far, but then the standard i play against is not very high...

Cheers all!

Last edited:

Zachmac

I've recently been looking over the seemingly defensive beast that is SHUCKLE. Only 'seemingly' because of it's typing.

I don't think I have ever seen it used in a remotely high tier (if ever) in competitive battling, so I tried to work out an effective moveset for it, other than the one supplied by Serebii.

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry

- Substitute
- Power Trick
- Gyro Ball/EQ
- Rest

EVs and Nature:

In a nutshell - Get the Sub up and running, this is pretty much essential I think. Flip your Attack and Defense stats with Power Trick - you now have an Attack Stat of 580 plus. Hit with Gyro Ball or EQ. (Gyro Ball could be huge if the opponent is lightning quick, but could be tiny if a slow beastie is switched in. EQ is reliable damage, huge type coverage only missing Flying types and Levitaters). Rest and the Chesto are there to be annoying and enable a quicker replacement Sub.

If you find yourself in a spot of bother, you can always switch your stats back and Rest (not necessarily in that order) and start the process again by Subbing up.

Any thoughts? Is this completely impractical? Or may it have a niche it can fit into? I don't know the answers to these questions. All i know is that it worked for me so far, but then the standard i play against is not very high...

Cheers all!
Let's see...base 5 speed. Um, I think the slowest OU pokemon is base 20 or something. Well, there is trick room, but any priority will revenge kill it, even quick attack. Also, in trick room, setting up will still be a pain, as it will just be finished off right after using power trick. It may take out one or two pokemon thanks to the sub, but if you're fighting any good team or player, I don't think you'll get more then one. I tried something similar when I was new, and it really didn't work well.

If you're going to use it, make it defensive in the sand, though I don't suggest using it at all.

SoulSilverSolomon

Kyogre Worshiper
Let's see...base 5 speed. Um, I think the slowest OU pokemon is base 20 or something. Well, there is trick room, but any priority will revenge kill it, even quick attack. Also, in trick room, setting up will still be a pain, as it will just be finished off right after using power trick. It may take out one or two pokemon thanks to the sub, but if you're fighting any good team or player, I don't think you'll get more then one. I tried something similar when I was new, and it really didn't work well.

If you're going to use it, make it defensive in the sand, though I don't suggest using it at all.

I don't particularly like trick room in this case. Like you say, it would just make the whole thing more tedious and less likely to have any impact. I'm not sure on the exact process by which damage that the Sub takes is worked out, but I would have thought that after first turn Subbing (baring in mind there is a chance that the opponent will switch out to a more suitable pokemon) that 1 kill would be virtually guaranteed, and that if the Sub does not break on the first hit, that there would be a strong chance of a second kill. However, the obvious move for an opponent (for EQ) would be to switch in a bulky water or a flying/levitater. Gyro Ball, on the other hand, would hit most flyers/levitaters hard, but runs the risk of catching a slow opponent and doing sweet B all.

I've got a ToxiShuckle too, which works niely with it's mountain of defense. But what kind of defensive stance were you thinking of?

Cheers.

;213;

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Shuckle @ Chesto Berry

- Substitute
- Power Trick
- Stone edge
- Rest

EVs and Nature:

Use Stone Edge.

But it still doesn't work. Shuckle should just stick to toxistall in SS, maybe using Wrap to actually finish something with the Toxic.

SoulSilverSolomon

Kyogre Worshiper
Use Stone Edge.

But it still doesn't work. Shuckle should just stick to toxistall in SS, maybe using Wrap to actually finish something with the Toxic.

Stone Edge crossed my mind too. It's superior power because of STAB is great. The only downside is the loss of accuracy. Yes it kind of makes up for it with the 150 base power, but if I Sub, then Power Trick, and then MISS the Stone Edge, I won't ever guarantee a single kill.

If he was in a Sandstorm team, or even any team with T'tar as lead, he could be lethal if the Sub and Trick were successful. He'd turn into a Physical Sweeper and a colossal Special Wall at the same time, having a possible 921 Special Defense whilst the Sandstorm is raging (because of the 50% Special Defense boost).

Though perhaps he's better just as a Toxic layer with a T'tar lead.

Last edited:

giritina'sshadow

Magicarp Breeder
If you're going to hit and run, why are you using Roost?

Outrage/Fire Blast/ExtremeSpeed is fine, but add Earthquake for the last spot so Heatran doesn't wall.
How do you really want to "annoy opponents with Outrage? You'll be stuck on the field and Outrage is more of a sweep isn't it?

i'm playing again HG and i'm working on Umbreon, but... a doubt assailed me: what is better as 4^ move??

Umbreon @Leftovers
Ability: Syncronize
Nature: Sassy (-Vel +Sp.Def)
Ev's: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Sp. Def.

- Heal Bell / Protect / Confuse Ray
- Curse
- Wish
- Payback

which move is better?
Heal Bell is learneble through Move Tutor, so i would like to be really sure if i go for it. I can heal status and this could be usefull and i also like the combination with Syncronize, because i can scare other pokemons with status moves.
However, Protect allow me to stall, heal safely and benefit from Leftovers, but also to scout... and it's not bad
I though also to Confuse Ray, because it's not always simple setting Curse. With confusion i can hope in a free turn or in a switch while i continue to use Curse and, if i need, Wish, but... i don't know if it's the best choise.

I thought to use it in the Battle Frontier with a Fighting pokemon, that could be Heracross (@Choise Scarf - Close Combat, Night Slash, Stone Edge, Megahorn) or Breloom (@Toxic Orb - Substitute, Spore, Seed Bomb, Focus Punch).
I don't know the third pokemon... For the moment i thought to my old Feraligator (@Muscle Band? Expert Belt? - EQ, Waterfall, Ice Punch, Crunch), but i don't really like it...

KingWiggins

3rd Gen. Here.

I am trying out the SkarmBliss combo and I have a Rest Skarmory, so I was wondering should Blissey have Ice Beam to take out Salamance or Aromatheorpy to heal the Rest? The only other counter I have to Salamence is Gengar with Ice Punch and Slaking that would basically 0HK0 Salamence with Hyper Beam... Would it be a good idea to give Blissey Ice Beam and just give Skarmory a Chesto Berry..?