• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Completely unreasonable things in Pokemon games

The Flash

I like shorts!
Munchlax is obnoxiously hard to obtain for some unknown reason, as has been said. Also, some type matchups make little sense (Ice's SE hit on Grass and Ground? Fighting's NVE hit on Poison? Bug's SE on Grass ans Psychic?).

Ice is SE on Grass because if i plant were to be frosted...it would die. Bug's eat plants, which are like the grass type. So the plant is damaged. It doesn't make a whole lotta sense, but i can see the logic behind those two.

@BCVM: The whole Pokédex shouldn't be handed to you on a platter, and it isn't, even without the event Pokémon in place. The issue is with several of them being literally unobtainable except for if you attend one-off events in real life, which may not even take place in your own country, let alone city.

There should be event pokemon, otherwise some of those pokemon would lose their appeal. It makes some pokemon more valuble, and the novelty of saying that you own a (Insert Event Pokemon Here) makes it that much cooler.

Tiomasta

Not amused
Fighting's NVE hit on Poison? Bug's SE on Grass ans Psychic?).

How are you supposed to do a karate chop with full force on acid or stuff?
Bugs eat Grass. If Psychic is considered to be the "Mind", then it's okay because lots of people fear Bugs, the Dark and Ghosts.

How traded pokes refuse to obey you unless you have some badges?

Blastoise, Hydro Pump that Magmar!
*Blastoise refuses*
But I have this badge!
*Blastoise kills Magmar*

ziggystardust

let's drink pop!
How are you supposed to do a karate chop with full force on acid or stuff?
Bugs eat Grass. If Psychic is considered to be the "Mind", then it's okay because lots of people fear Bugs, the Dark and Ghosts.

How traded pokes refuse to obey you unless you have some badges?

Blastoise, Hydro Pump that Magmar!
*Blastoise refuses*
But I have this badge!
*Blastoise kills Magmar*

Maybe it's a respect thing, like the Pokemon knows that the badge is a sign of your skill as a trainer and therefore it sees you as worthy. I don't know, just a theory.

Why did Pokemon hatch at lv.5 until the 4th gen? I mean you had lv.2-4 Pokemon running around, were those premature or something?

Toastybob

Is this real life?
@BCVM: The whole Pokédex shouldn't be handed to you on a platter, and it isn't, even without the event Pokémon in place. The issue is with several of them being literally unobtainable except for if you attend one-off events in real life, which may not even take place in your own country, let alone city.

Well sometimes schedules conflict, sometimes people fall ill, sometimes people just ca't make it or are unable to do so. so why should they be punished for either not being able to or are unaware the event is even going on?

I agree with you both; While I am fortunate enough to live in the right country, I have no local Toys R' Us, and driving to one requires gas, which is definitely not free. Also, I once arrived at an event a day late, because I did not have acces to the internet.

Anyway, I am not opposed to Events, I would appreciate if an event equivalent to the one taking place in reality was offered later on WiFi. Luckily, this seems to have taken off in Japan, but I'm still waiting for official Stateside announcement.

Back on topic, TMs never made much sense to me. Do Pokemon have built-in DVD Ports?

Last edited:

COKTAL

<-Newest Shiny!!!
Yeah, I agree with the TM thing. I remeber in LG/FR when you'd use a TM/HM and it'd do the little video where you put it on it's head, and it learns the move.

ziggystardust

let's drink pop!
Hmm, I remember my cousin hitting me in the head with an algebra book in the hopes that I would "get it". Maybe its the same thing with Pokemon and TMs/HMs

itsme

(ノ@皿@)ノ ~ lolwut?
The only unreasonable thing in pokemon is that adults never seem to know how to stop evil organizations.

Shadow Gamer

The Shadow Trainer
One of the most unreasonable things in pokemon and something I have never understood is: Why aren't Psyduck and Golduck Water/Psychic? They can both learn psychic attacks, They're pokedex entries say they have psychic abilities, and even in the show Misty's psyduck had psychic abilities and so did every other Psyduck/Golduck they ran into. WTF?

maxelle

Shadow Stalker
Okay why is it that when normal types used on ghost types are ineffective but when a ghost uses a normal type move its effective? Like a Skitty using tackle on a Sabeleye, it doesn't work, then Sabeleye uses scratch and it effects Skitty. It doesn't make much sense.

the elite trainer

Warrior Of Darkness
You can't get out of the E4 without winning or loosing, makes you think why they only made one way doors.

Also why are there events? They're 100% free and yet they're not already in the game.

Last edited:

Alder

Come at me bro
Hmm, I remember my cousin hitting me in the head with an algebra book in the hopes that I would "get it". Maybe its the same thing with Pokemon and TMs/HMs

haha...then TMs break, but HM's are made of something stronger?

There was a famous old fanfic that said that you jammed the disk into their ears...

what never made sense was that Dig works on water, as does earthquake, Sunn yDay, Rain Dance, Hail, Bounce, and Fly work in caves, and Dive works anywhere. wtf???

Also, some type matchups make little sense (Ice's SE hit on Grass and Ground? Fighting's NVE hit on Poison? Bug's SE on Grass ans Psychic?).

Ice's SE on grass and ground both make perfect sense, as does bug's SE on grass. Cold weather kills plants and hardens the soil, and lots of bugs eat plants. I've never understood the bug/psychic or fighting/poison ones, though.

AlCario

Banned
I think its weird how on the snow routes where it is clearly snowing, in a battle it is hailing. And apparently you can have sunlight inside buildings and caves. Do they have retractable roofs, or something?

coolespeon

I dont know.
haha...then TMs break, but HM's are made of something stronger?

There was a famous old fanfic that said that you jammed the disk into their ears...

what never made sense was that Dig works on water, as does earthquake, Sunn yDay, Rain Dance, Hail, Bounce, and Fly work in caves, and Dive works anywhere. wtf???

you also forgot that fly works when diving and waterfallworks anwhere too.

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
oh, and your rivals always act like the trounce you in every match even if they dont even land a single attack

Barbarooza

BarBOSSA
Typing 'difficulties' are done so the game is balanced. Otherwise, a type (eg. Psychic) would just wipe through the game as it has no obvious difficulties with anytime.

pokemaster001

I've never understood the bug/psychic or fighting/poison ones, though.
bugs buzz, and annoy the heck out of your concentration
and fighters, well, have you ever tried punching poison?
although psychic>poison could take some time to think about

Anytyme23

If manaphy can only make phione eggs where do the manaphy eggs come from?