• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Completing the Pokedex...almost impossible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
The events were back in August '09, if I recall correctly. I participated in two of them, the Member Card and Oak's Letter, and I did manage to catch Darkrai and Shaymin in Platinum, but I restarted because I thought I'd lost the lake guardians forever, and as a result, I lost the event Pokemon. Even after that, I've been tweaking my Pearl to death just to get the two elusive Pokemon, and I stocked up on something like 125 Ultra Balls and 50 Timer Balls to get them covered, and I must say it's easier on the 3DS to tweak because it's easier with the C-pad. This doesn't involve changing your finger to the next arrow on the D-pad. However, I missed out on the Arceus event when I realised I'd missed it, and so I can't tweak for it. However, I managed to get Arceus in Black via a DW event that was back in 2012.

You got lucky, bro. The events were only for Platinum. Apparently Nintendo decided not to give them away for Diamond or Pearl. As for Arceus, I do have it, but like I said, it's at level 100. I'm the kind of player that wants to explore all parts of the game. I prefer to get the item that unlocks the area to a rare pokemon, than have that pokemon handed to me. So I got bummed out when I realized that I was never going to get the Azure Flute to unlock the Hall of Origin and catch Arceus myself. Pokemon like Jirachi, Deoxys and Mew i'll be ok with, only because they are no where in the game.

Darkfoxz87

What a Drag
Difficult? Yes. Impossible? No. It is time consuming, but if you have the patience it can be done. GOTTA CATCH EM ALL!

Its not hard at all if you know what to do.. rather it takes a lot of time..

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Yeah I wasn't able to complete it either, I need Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Arcues & Meloetta. If any one have some for trade please PM me.

TheAviatorDragon

FEAR THE SHADES.
I have never once completed the Pokedex in any game :p

I'm thinking about doing it in W2 though. There is this great web site called Pokedit.com where you can send pokemon to the games, so whenever those dumb event pokemon pop-up I could just send it to my game at level one then release it.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I completed the Kanto Pokedex in Pokemon Yellow, and Leaf Green. I haven't completed any others since Leaf Green, i'm gonna try completing the Kalos Pokedex though. It will take time to do obviously, but I can do it i'm sure.

I only complete the Pokédex if there's a reward for it, like the Johto starters in RSE or the Shiny Charm in Black/White 2.

It's impossible to catch them all in Gens I, II and III these days, but for the past two generations it's been much easier thanks to internet connectivity.

In my case it's not that hard until you get to the Evolve-On-Trade pokémon. I have access to Hoenn (Emerald), Kanto/Johto (SoulSilver) and Unova (Black 2). As you can guess, getting some Sinnoh Pokémon is gonna be a grind (Pachirisu/Snover on the pokewalker... pffft) Also, events don't count as catching them all in B/W2, thankfully.

tipton87

Eevee Master
I always try my best to catch them all. And like everyone else Event pokemon screw me over.

Ditto B1tch

The slogan is made for marketing purposes. It doesn't have to be true at all, just have to be attractive. What would you suggest, "Gotta get some"... No!

Though you cannot catch 'em all for personal reasons (no friends, no events), actually it's not impossible to get 'em all. It's just a pain to do that and requires A LOT of patience.

Last edited:

Sohryu

Be a Man!
As said by others, I don't think it's impossible.
Though, for me, 151 pokemons in Yellow were too much to handle already. Now, 718? Oh dear! Not a chance I would ever try to complete this thing. I even avoid the competitive due to how effort we have to do in order to succeed in it. Completing the pokedex is simply out of question. And for me, capturing 718 is quite impossible.

Blood Red Absol

AquaMilotic's Waifu
I like the fact that completing the dex is so difficult, if you actually do get it done, there is a real sense of accomplishment, and most people don't play the games for the dex anyway, the pokedex is so massive that it is something you complete at a more gradual pace over time... I personally really like it, and it makes event pokemon all that more valuable.

Dibut

I don't know how feasible this is anymore, especially considering how many pokemon were event only. While the collection aspect may not be a big draw for some, it remains my favorite part of the series. I wish they had a way to collect some of the previous legendary pokemon without having to trade or wait for an event.

Covert Cactus

<--- Halloween shiny
It's hard but not impossible on gen 6 now that you can type the name of a pokemon you want but haven't seen. I wish they would stop making event pokemon or at least run more than one event.

castlewars

Chesnaught=Bowser
It's hard but not impossible on gen 6 now that you can type the name of a pokemon you want but haven't seen. I wish they would stop making event pokemon or at least run more than one event.

But even though this Lv. 9 and under nonsense has been removed in Gen VI, are people still going to troll and make Pokedex completion harder for everyone else by asking for Lv.100s?

Yogi Bear

King of Poke Games
I completed the Pokedex in Generation 4 I believe.

Or at least as close you could ever get.

I don't think they ever released Arceus for Gen 4.

Parafilm

Veteran Trainer
I have been close a couple of times but have never actually managed it! Probably a bit easier now that WiFi is a thing but it still requires some dedication and time!

Sohryu

Be a Man!
But even though this Lv. 9 and under nonsense has been removed in Gen VI, are people still going to troll and make Pokedex completion harder for everyone else by asking for Lv.100s?

But can't you trade with other people instead of going on the GTS? I don't see the reasons to use it when we have, for example, our shops here on Serebii.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
The problem is that many people have few or no people outside of the GTS to trade with. Unless of course they're Japanese, in which case they probably have several dozen options within a square mile or so.

I managed to complete the dex in Emerald because I had 2 gameboys and every 3rd gen game including Colosseum/XD.

Status
Not open for further replies.