• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Composite to S-Video?

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
Hi Tech help! I have a SNES, PS2 and a Wii hooked up to my TV right now, and a N64 coming through the mail this week. I thought I'd reorganize behind the TV. Lots of cables...

While searching for stuff like this I found out about Composite video and S-Video. I don't even know how to really tell them apart, all my consoles have that yellow RCA cable for video though.

Question: Can I convert my Composite video to the better quality S-Video? Do I need a new and modern TV? Like, are there any adapter that converts it into S-Video? That sounds too simple :p (And illogical because it's like pouring a small glass of water into a big glass of water and expecting the big glass to be full)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
You can buy converters, but the increase quality won't increase. You however can Buy new Leads for your console, which can be expensive.

S-Video is old, but was omitted on many TVs, mainly European ones. You'll need to find "Din" Socket on your TV. However since you're European, Chances are you'll be able to use SCART lead on your TV. You can get S-Video to SCART Blocks. Component Video is on several HD TVs and Pre-dates HDMI, and you can find older hardware that is can plugged in.

Most UK game consoles are sold with a "composite" to SCART Block, which doesn't do anything to make better quality.

The Best quality video you can get for the above consoles is getting a SCART or Component Video Lead and plugging that in to to the TV. You can Easily Buy a Wii and a PS2/PS3 Component Lead. The cost between UK£10-£25. The Game cube may support the Component, but the cables are rare, the N64 will not without the console being modified. SCART Leads can be used, but Are also hard to find.

Chrysaries

Former shiny trader
You can buy converters, but the increase quality won't increase. You however can Buy new Leads for your console, which can be expensive.

S-Video is old, but was omitted on many TVs, mainly European ones. You'll need to find "Din" Socket on your TV. However since you're European, Chances are you'll be able to use SCART lead on your TV. You can get S-Video to SCART Blocks. Component Video is on several HD TVs and Pre-dates HDMI, and you can find older hardware that is can plugged in.

Most UK game consoles are sold with a "composite" to SCART Block, which doesn't do anything to make better quality.

The Best quality video you can get for the above consoles is getting a SCART or Component Video Lead and plugging that in to to the TV. You can Easily Buy a Wii and a PS2/PS3 Component Lead. The cost between UK£10-£25. The Game cube may support the Component, but the cables are rare, the N64 will not without the console being modified. SCART Leads can be used, but Are also hard to find.

Thanks a lot :) Might skip it for now because I'd rather use the money on games :p