• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Computer problems

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Hey guys, I need some help and I will try to explain this to the best I can.

Now my computer in my room just started playing up and my brother thinks it could be a processor (I think that's it?) stuffing up so my computer won't work. Here's what happened: My computer has been freezing lately, at first it was just Firefox but two days ago the computer started it, AVG anti virus program would not exit and froze so I had to turn my computer off, did this twice after scanning for virus (None found so far).

You know how after you turn off a computer without going to the menu, just pressing the button? Then that black screen comes up and asks if you want to enter windows in Safe mode or normally while it counts down from 50 or something? Well after the second reset it goes to that however no matter what I press, run normally, safe mode or just let the countdown get to zero it will load and go to the Windows XP screen with the little bar where it's loading.

However it restarts right there and ends up back at the black screen with those options and it keeps doing it! I don't know what to do, alot of my work is on that computer. My brother thinks it's the processor that's stuffed up and coming on the weekend to check it or try to.

So I wanted a second opinion. Just before the freezing for a few seconds started I was playing on my Wii and I accidentally bumped the computer with my hand (And looking into the vent, maybe it's just me but the fan looks out of place), I don't know if that is relevant. Can anyone here help me out and tell me if my brother's right? Do I need a new computer? (Which could be a upside, I don't have a sound card so no games, however I don't know if my internet would work with the new one, long story). But I don't like Vista, and it has so many problems with computer games and I heard they don't sell XP anymore. What would be a good computer to buy for internet/games/writing stories?

ThePainbringer

Better than Ash
Well before you buy another computer try starting up your computer while repeatedly pressing "F8". Then press "Repair".

Then you might wanna try a "system restore." What this does is it restores your computer to before your problem occurred or a time you chose.

If that doesn't work than a Windows 7 PC would be your best bet as it is the lastest product and I can personally say it is pretty good for work and price. A lot of the features are little things that make your experience smooth. Companies like Dell and Gateway are pretty good.

If you are willing to dip into your wallet you might want to invest into a Alienware computer. I've tried a view of these and i thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is the fasted computer for gaming so if your looking for a computer that can play PC games flawlessly, this is a good choice.

Finally before tossing that PC, get the hard drive and recovery disk out so you dont lose personal info.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Alright I will give that a shot, thanks hopefully it won't go too far back with the restore. And I am willing to dip into my wallet, something that is meant for games

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
Even after only reading the first half of your post it sounds like either your CPU or PSU is overheating. And the part where you said you bumped the fan makes that seem like the cause even more. I don't really know how to tell which one it is without you removing the GPU to check.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Writing on Wii with remote
I did f8 but it came up with boot stuff nothing said repair. How do you do a system restore?
Skitty GPU? whats that anyways maybe it is I will have to get my brother to look at it.

ThePainbringer

Better than Ash
The Repair option is usually there... Perhaps thats only with my version. The repair option would have opened up safe mode after doing a 80 min trouble shooting of its self. then you could have used system restore.

A GPU is a graphics processing unit.

Before cracking your open I suggest calling Microsoft and describe your problem.
Considering your using a wii the internet might be slow. I can put you through to them. Can you tell me which of these you are using?

1.Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
2.Microsoft Windows XP Professional
3.Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
4.Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

It should be on a label on the computer

Frank The Bunny

My only advice to you is that before you assume it's a hardware problem you rule out the possibility of it being a software problem.

AVG isn't a great AV by the way.

Normally when a computer start jamming up it can simply be malware causing it. Once you rule that out start looking into hardware failure.

Although that whole thing about bumping the fan would indicate that the cpu is over heating, could be multiple reasons for that. Looking into whether the fans are working properly would be my first choice.