• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew-the original

Binchsquatch
Piplup and Mijumaru have similar builds and similar color schemes. Both have big heads and a small body and limbs, both have a light blue body, and both have an orange nose (or beak in Piplup's case). Not saying Mijumaru will turn out to be a bad pokemon, but design-wise, it's a total Piplup clone.

First of all, Piplup's beak is yellow NOT orange. And the rest of that description can match many pokemon (Squirtle, Marshtomp, Riolu, etc) I swear, people these days will find any little excuse to hate something. I am not a big fan of the otter either, but I'm not going to be pessimistic about it and b*tch about how much I hate it like most everyone else in this thread seems to be. Don't judge it so harshly until we know everything about it. That's my pokemon philosophy right there.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
It's a total opinion thing. If they don't like it, they don't like it, and we should respect that and move on.

xmikeyxlikesitx

Pokémon Coordinator
The Isshu generation is SCREWING WITH MY MIND!

It's the first generation where I a Fire-type is my first pick!

And the first generation where a Water-type is my last pick!

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ANYMORE!!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Pokabu is a FREAKIN' PIGGIE! OMGSTFUWTFBBQSAUCE PIGS ARE MY FAVORITE!!! It's so unbelievably adorable that my brain hurts a lot. It's so freakin' crazy nuts cool. The BEST Fire-type starter EVER!!!

Tsutāja is pretty cool, nothing cool or unique really. How many cold-blooded Grass-type starters can we get? Bulbasaur...Chikorita...Treecko...Turtwig...uhh...any mammals in there? I'd rather have seen a mammal, but oh wells.

Mijumaru...I don't hate this thing, but it's kind of dumb. I really don't want to say that I "dislike" it, but it isn't one of favorite Water-type starters. It's like...an illegitimate snowman-mammal baby thing-a-ma-jigger. At least it's a mammal, though.

Grass-type starters
#1: Turtwig
#2: "Tsutāja"
#3: Treecko
#4: Chikorita
#5: Bulbasaur

Fire-type Starters
#1: "Pokabu"
#2: Torchic
#3: Cyndaquil
#4: Chimchar
#5: Charmander

Water-type Starters:
#1: Totodile
#2: Piplup
#3: Mudkip
#4: "Mijumaru"
#5: Squirtle

On a serious note, Tsutāja looks like it'll be Grass/Psychic and it may have a coiled body in its evolutions. It'll probably have crazy high Special Attack and oddly, low Speed.

Pokabu looks like a tanker with high Defense. Maybe a Fire/Poison evolution and it may become a warthog!!!

For some reason, Mijumaru looks like it'll have stupidly high Special Defense and be more of a physical attacker (to me). Maybe a Water/Fighting type?

Kindrindra

大事なのは自分らしいくある事
Oh, I love how Zorua and Zoroark are like forgotten now XD

Wow, you're right. XD

Guessing 200+ Pages of discussion on two pokemon in one evolution line was enough. Wonder how many pages three pokemon in separate lines will generate?

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Wow, you're right. XD

Guessing 200+ Pages of discussion on two pokemon in one evolution line was enough. Wonder how many pages three pokemon in separate lines will generate?

Depends, when is the next corocoro due.

[Super_Fjord]

Is a college kid.
Surprise, surprise. They're all quite hideous.

Moving on.

How... invigorating.

By which I mean rather not.

I really don't see the issues people are picking out on these PokeMon. A lot of it is issues based on... color scheme? Really? I'm sorry--did our little sea otter bother all you moneybags who were expecting a Water-typed starter that was not... blue?

You people are ridiculous.

I can't wait until you all feel silly after discovering that these end up having the best evolutionary lines of any generation.

BlastoiseWaterLegend

I LOVE WATER TYPES!!
I dont get how everyone is seeing Piplup in the water starter. Other than the fact that they are water typed, I dont see much of a parallel between them.

BCVM22

I was just curious to hear a rational person's opinion of the new Pokémon. We are on a message board with the purpose of sharing our irrelevant opinions.

If that's what you were fishing for, just consider that my opinion: "cute, basic, inoffensive and a precursor to what will eventually become larger and more fearsome forms that will comprise most of the use that trainers get from these critters."

I just don't find much value in getting too bent out of shape over pieces of Sugimori art, and that's all these starters are at the moment; we can be reasonably sure of their abilities, but we know nothing of potential secondary types, movepools, base stats, anything.

Put it this way: in a complete vacuum, all other factors aside, if you were selecting one of the previous four Water starters, what would be of greater relevance? The fact that Piplup has a big head, or the fact that Feraligatr learns attacks like Superpower and Crunch with a lot of other intriguing options via TM, tutor and breeding and the fact that Swampert and Empoleon both gain secondary types that make them very different from Water-only types?

Grei

not the color
At first glance, I didn't know what was so unappealing about the water starter. Was it the freckle-like dots? The weird color scheme? The nose?

I think the biggest issue is the pose. Look at how boring it is. Imagine the fire starter in a pose as bland and expressionless as the water starter's. That, to me, would make it look incredibly unappealing.

GrassSnake reminds me of Treecko with it's mischievous expression, and FirePig looks lively and inviting. SeaOtter is just standing there with a blank expression.

I'm sure once we see more pictures it'll look better. It's already starting to grow on me, though now I think I'll be choosing the FirePig.

I still sort of hope that GrassSnake will become a Grass/Dragon in it's 2nd Stage form, though I doubt it. (I also foresee many people expecting Jessie in the anime to get GrassSnake, since it's a snake. ...I dunno. I'd like it, anyway.)

EDIT: I also see SeaOtter eventually becoming a Water/Ice type. We already have a Sea Otter for all intents and purposes--this one is probably going to be different in concept, possibly with Snowman elements thrown in. That'd be neat (and would fit in with appearance in a few ways).

Last edited:

SeamYo

If that's what you were fishing for, just consider that my opinion: "cute, basic, inoffensive and a precursor to what will eventually become larger and more fearsome forms that will comprise most of the use that trainers get from these critters."

I just don't find much value in getting too bent out of shape over pieces of Sugimori art, and that's all these starters are at the moment; we can be reasonably sure of their abilities, but we know nothing of potential secondary types, movepools, base stats, anything.

Put it this way: in a complete vacuum, all other factors aside, if you were selecting one of the previous four Water starters, what would be of greater relevance? The fact that Piplup has a big head, or the fact that Feraligatr learns attacks like Superpower and Crunch with a lot of other intriguing options via TM, tutor and breeding and the fact that Swampert and Empoleon both gain secondary types that make them very different from Water-only types?

You have the cold intelligent rationale of a scientist, I admire it

Also, are you a scientist?

Timetraveler:Pikachu

Servant of Time.....
Which one will you chose? I usually go with the fire type but after seeing that...pig I'm put off a little. The otter would look really cute if the mouth was upside down. A enough about how crappy they look! I shale be the first to say:

I like Mijumaruz!

So stop bagging on them! We don't even know their evolutions! Look at the entire evolution line before you judge it! Same for the entire 5th generation!Tsutāja just looks cool. Its the only snake since seviper! I have a feeling its going to be big and dangerous.
It would just be terrible if the names were off. We would have been arguing over fake names... Any ways about the screen shots. It looks like we might be able to change the screen viewing, either that or each place has its own camera angle!
Cant wait for more!

[Super_Fjord]

Is a college kid.
No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You might as well be a Rhodes Scholar, then, my friend. Flaunt it.

And for all the Sea Otter = Water/Ice arguments...

1) Otters generally live in warmer climates. The Mississippi, Amazon, etc. Not that there are not colder climate otters. They're just typically warm water mammals. Just btw.
2) We haven't had a good Water/Ice type since... Lapras? Why start now?

Status
Not open for further replies.