• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordy Kieto

flaming pig= giant flaming boar with tusks for final evo! definetly a physical pokemon,
otter= think snorlax meets bibarel meets walrein
grass starter= special attack, grass/dragon basically amazing typing and defeintely Uber

Shiny_Gliscor

Pro Wrestler
The Minotaur is half-bull, not half-pig. Not to say it's impossible, but there's no link there.

See, this is the problem. Not to single you out, because it's certainly not just you, but let's lay out the issue here. They took your favorite starter type and designed it as an animal you don't like. Yes. Terrible. A travesty, a sham and a mockery. You feel that way about it. Fine. Then just say "hm, not my cup of tea" and leave it at that, perhaps? The problem arises when people try and present it as as if there's actually something wrong with the designs.

"I doubt it will compare to Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken and Infernape. They're beasts". Really? What constitutes a "beast", exactly, and assuming that Pokabu ends up as large, fiery boar - not unlikely at all - in what way will it fail to be a "beast"? That's the problem. So many people trying to point out actual problems that don't exist. Again, if you don't like a design, fine, good for you. But this effort of trying to make the case that they made a mistake of some sort by not tailoring a design to your exact specifications, there's just nothing to it but more complaining.

The starters are what they are. They aren't changing. If you don't like a certain starter, don't use it. It's that simple.

Yo, i really like the way u answer to people's opinions that sumtimes may end up being harsh or plain inadequate... and i like it cause i can see u dont do it without having a solid base, but u do it with valid facts that are real... nice way of defending the starters...

Sabonea_Masukippa

Why do people keep on referring to Turtwig as Naetle?

Sorry, that probably mainly me. I've been switching between Japanese and English boards continually for the last 3 days and names are starting to get confused and also maybe forgot what his English name was... Naetle is turtwig's romanized Japanese name (naetoru).
Seeing as he's my favourite starter from last few gens, that name sticks most in my brain. Although I've been editing out a few Pocchama and Hikozaru's before posting. Sorry, will try and be more careful. :)

Josiah

is your favorite
of course they are going to run out of ideas, they base most pokemon on animals and they turn everyday things in our world into pokemon. There are only so many animals they can use, we already have a pig family and 2 snake families in pokemon. If what i say isnt true, why did they start to introduce pokemon such as beldum family, bronzor family who appear to be random shapes. They also have multipuls of the same animal used. They make new evolutions (they made a fair few in gen 4) mainly because they were running out of fresh ideas for pokemon.
They've been making 'random shapes' since the beginning. Magnemite and Ditto are just as guilty as those two.

New evolutions due to lack of ideas is just false. There were way more relations in generation two than three. Did they get a sudden burst of ideas and then promptly forget for the next generation?

Being related doesn't mean it isn't original. If they were truly out of ideas, they'd just make every new Pokemon be part of a three stage family.

Swizzy

im normally a fire/water starter type person but if the final evos don't look good i guess for the first time ill be choosing the grass starter(unless it ends up like bulbasaur where it was cute at 1st stage but got all fat and pimply as if its going through puberty) fire pig is like a "wtf?"its a stupid idea but at least he doesn't look all that bad. and the water pokemon just pisses me off i guess its because it could have just looked so cute but instead they make him look depressed, since when are the starter pokemon depressed .__. i like how he looks in allishinc sig though if it was like that i would choose the water one

xsedr

The Moral Aethiest
I always use the fire starter on my play through until right now. I'm sorry but I don't want a self-cooking pig roast. The Snake is most likely to join me, especially if he gains a good second type or loses his legs and becomes a true snake at level 14/16/18. Maybe the otter if he evolves into a bipedal, amazingly powerful walrus (maybe he goes from otter to seal to walrus). I feel bad about betraying the fire type but I'm sure my Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape would agree with me.

Shiny_Gliscor

Pro Wrestler
by the way... has anyone noted that in some of the scans the backsprites of the starters seem like the ones in 4th gen? aint them supposed to be full back sprites?

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
i think like the entei sprite that the backsprites are stand-ins for now

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
im normally a fire/water starter type person but if the final evos don't look good i guess for the first time ill be choosing the grass starter(unless it ends up like bulbasaur where it was cute at 1st stage but got all fat and pimply as if its going through puberty) fire pig is like a "wtf?"its a stupid idea but at least he doesn't look all that bad. and the water pokemon just pisses me off i guess its because it could have just looked so cute but instead they make him look depressed, since when are the starter pokemon depressed .__. i like how he looks in allishinc sig though if it was like that i would choose the water one

Why does it matter if it's depressed? It's not like Pokemon are supposed to look happy.

I'm probably among the few people that like Mijumaru. I'm probably split between it and the grass one the most. It's going to be hard picking which one, since I won't look at the new Pokemon once Black and White are released.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
i think like the entei sprite that the backsprites are stand-ins for now

Pokefan Beat

Onward, ho!!!
You know, after lurking around this long I may as well post my opinion... (Also, first post yay an achievement!)

At first glance the other day, I though Mijamaru looked horrid, not because it was an otter, but because the eye-to-nose ratio was very... strange. The coloring was a bit pale for my tastes but I liked the little seashell and figured that complaining would do no good. I loved Tsutaji at first sight, though, because it was a cool-looking grass type that totally made up for Turtwig, and looked so... personality-full. Pokabu was also an instant hit, part because it was a pig and part because it reminded me of a pirate.
After a few hours of stewing over how little I liked Mijamaru, then looking at the comments here, then looking at/drawing some fanart and toying with proportions, I realized that he had some rockin' potential...

I think that whatever the evos are, we're probably going to be pleasantly surprised with the results... I'm personally rooting for Pokabu to evolve into a quadrupedal boar-pig-fire-pirate, and Tsutaji to become a strong grass-flying, and for Mijamaru to get a bit better proportions, but of course that won't be revealed until at least next month, right?

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
You know, after lurking around this long I may as well post my opinion... (Also, first post yay an achievement!)

At first glance the other day, I though Mijamaru looked horrid, not because it was an otter, but because the eye-to-nose ratio was very... strange. The coloring was a bit pale for my tastes but I liked the little seashell and figured that complaining would do no good. I loved Tsutaji at first sight, though, because it was a cool-looking grass type that totally made up for Turtwig, and looked so... personality-full. Pokabu was also an instant hit, part because it was a pig and part because it reminded me of a pirate.
After a few hours of stewing over how little I liked Mijamaru, then looking at the comments here, then looking at/drawing some fanart and toying with proportions, I realized that he had some rockin' potential...

I think that whatever the evos are, we're probably going to be pleasantly surprised with the results... I'm personally rooting for Pokabu to evolve into a quadrupedal boar-pig-fire-pirate, and Tsutaji to become a strong grass-flying, and for Mijamaru to get a bit better proportions, but of course that won't be revealed until at least next month, right?

Starter evos probably won't be revealed for a long time, if not until release.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム

Please just stop... You and every other criticizer on this thread haev really ruined the new starters for everyone else who are actually looking forward to them, so just stop trashing them...

pokemonster2191

turtles=pwnage
Y'know that pig still doesn't sit well with me. I mean, a pig? I see a pig as an animal of low value (sorry piggies)

The intelligence of an average pig is comparable to that of an average chimpanzee. They are known to open gates and let themselves out of pens, and even help other pigs open their own gates.

Pigs are capable of recognizing patterns and recreating them. They use their snouts skillfully, like a dolphin uses its nose or a dog uses its mouth.
http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/pigs.html said:
Other behaviors showcase pigs' ability to learn new behaviors. Using their snouts, pigs can even be taught to maneuver a modified joystick to move a cursor on a video monitor, as proven in research done at Penn State from 1996 to 1998 by Stanley Curtis, then professor of dairy and animal science and now an adjunct animal sciences professor at the University of Illinois.

While it is difficult to measure an animal's level of intelligence, pigs are definitely one of the smartest animals in the animal kingdom. And as far as value goes, pigs are widely used to sniff out truffles (expensive mushrooms that usually grow on the bottom of tree roots which are underground) which are usually worth from $250 to $450, which makes them one of the most expensive natural foods. The white truffle of Alba, Italy is worth a little over $4000 a pound.
So while you may see pigs as animals of low value, people who own pigs can make thousands of them, making a trained pig very valuable.

pig-01.jpg

Pokefan Beat

Onward, ho!!!
Starter evos probably won't be revealed for a long time, if not until release.

Okay :) This is the first game I've decided to follow from the first leaks, I'm aftraid I'm still a bit of a noob, hah.

I find it amusing how the very same bickering happened when the Sinnoh starters were revealed. And you know what? A few months or so later, everybody got over it. So get over it.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
iirc the 4th gen evolutions weren't revealed until the rest of the gen, yes?

Yes.

I always use the fire starter on my play through until right now. I'm sorry but I don't want a self-cooking pig roast. The Snake is most likely to join me, especially if he gains a good second type or loses his legs and becomes a true snake at level 14/16/18. Maybe the otter if he evolves into a bipedal, amazingly powerful walrus (maybe he goes from otter to seal to walrus). I feel bad about betraying the fire type but I'm sure my Charizard, Typhlosion, Blaziken, and Infernape would agree with me.

Your last remark just sounds dumb. If you don't like a starter, don't pick it, but it's not like complaining about it will make the designers say, "Wait a gosh damn moment. Someone and his Pokemon don't like the fire starter... Okay boys, let's hop to making another one."

Fox-Lock

They've been making 'random shapes' since the beginning. Magnemite and Ditto are just as guilty as those two.

New evolutions due to lack of ideas is just false. There were way more relations in generation two than three. Did they get a sudden burst of ideas and then promptly forget for the next generation?

Being related doesn't mean it isn't original. If they were truly out of ideas, they'd just make every new Pokemon be part of a three stage family.

Amen. I just wish we could go a page or two with posts as pleasant and rational as this. I mean really guys, we all love Pokemon and may feel a bit betrayed because the new starters don't look quite how we hoped, but can't we just focus on more of the positives? Can't we all just exercise some more control and forethought before posting some random, bias nonsense about how much we hate the new grass/water/firestarters and how much they look like Treecko/Piplup/they would willingly poop their pants?

To answer my own question; likely not. I guess all the people who aren't eating billy-goats and living under bridges will just have to be the change they want to see.

At any rate, Mijumaru is starting to grow on me, Pokabu is getting Fire/Dark typing for sure and the more I look at Tsutaja, the more I can't help but think it looks like he's wearing a monocle.

Status
Not open for further replies.