• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

icelord0626

Porygon 2
They said bigger game differences right? Zekrom is unnatural, so what if it's more machine based(i.e.:factory) and reshiram is natural, so what if it's more nature based(i.e.:forest)
?

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Because, generally, Pokémon look more natural, being clearly based of animals and plantlife, whilst Yu-Gi-Oh monsters & Digimon are more abstract, occasionally being based of generic animals and plantlife, but having either mechnical or crystaline look added on to them too.
These similarities between Pokemon and Digimon have been around since both series began. Mewtwo could easily be a Digimon, all the rookies from the first eight Digidestined could easily be Pokemon. There are always going to be similarities between the two so why is it such a big deal?

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Loving that image.

My fave is still Smugleaf(the grass starter).

The new legends are both horrible looking, but i'd pic the white one if I had no choice(once again, the awesome image).

char_char

Beginning Trainer
I agree with .euphoria.

I was a little disappointed when I found out these two were part dragon. I mean, it makes sense to have a few dragon-type legendaries, but making every significant Pokemon part dragon will/has become tired.

I too wish the white chicken looking thing was pure flying; while the black one (imo) should have been pure dark.

nikohesus

Banned
If you guys don't like Digimon, so why talk about it? You'll get used to the new Pokemon eventually...

Anyways, I really like the new legends, especially Reshiram (believe it or not). I just wish they drew it in a different postion...

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
These similarities between Pokemon and Digimon have been around since both series began. Mewtwo could easily be a Digimon, all the rookies from the first eight Digidestined could easily be Pokemon. There are always going to be similarities between the two so why is it such a big deal?

I've generally disliked the design of Mewtwo :p

Basically, they don't look like they fit in with the Pokémon Universe. Reshiram maybe, as it looks more natural and mythological, but Zekrom looks like something that was animal like, but then has digivolved to become covered in armour.

Plus, the entire concept that Pokémon are supposed to be based of something- either an animal, plant or mythologically based. Zekrom looks completely abstract, especially with it's drill/ Jet engine looking tail and armoured hide.

Satoshi_poketo monsta

Home-Made Trainer.
Because, generally, Pokémon look more natural, being clearly based of animals and plantlife, whilst Yu-Gi-Oh monsters & Digimon are more abstract, occasionally being based of generic animals and plantlife, but having either mechnical or crystaline look added on to them too.

Also, generally, it's pretty clear what Pokémon are based upon, whilst Reshiram looks like a large, feathered bird with a dog's head, and Zekrom looks like an armoured... thing, with a giant drill for a tail. Hardly natural or animal.

Granted, Reshiram could probably be based upon large feathered/ dragon creatures of mythology, but Zekrom, especially due to it's armoured look, really looks like something you'd find in Digimon or Yu-Gi-Oh.

Dark Rainbow Dragon

Zekrom

MetalGreymon

Then again, as I said, when the ingame Sprites come out, I'm sure it'll have more of a Pokémon feel to it. And, all of this Yu-Gi-Oh/Digimon/Pokémon likenesses is purely subjective.

Okay that makes sense now! But Still, I think Zekrom look better than Reshiram to me! But I like both!

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I mean, it makes sense to have a few dragon-type legendaries, but making every significant Pokemon part dragon will/has become tired.
Every? Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina are the only other dragon legendaries. That makes 6 out of 37.

Kyogre911

now getting tsutaja
i like the new legendaries, still getting used 2 them tho. most legendaries look like digimon when they're first revealed, so i'm not worried. I remember saying to my friend when dialga n palkia were first revealed that they look like robots. i'm still going to get white, altho i'm kinda surprised that the white one is black's legendary while the black one is white's legendary.

I agree with Dante Falls, you can generally see the derivation from the real world in any pokemon aside from some of the more abstract leggies, even if it's just something like geodude which is just a lump of rock with arms. Virtually every pokemon has roots in nature or culture. The thing about these new ones is that they don't seem to derive from anything natural or mythological.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it shows a new level of creativity being introduced to a franchise which is starting to feel repetitive. However, it is not that creative in itself as it is becoming more like the multitude of other 'monster' franchises out there, such as Yu-Gi-Oh, and I feel with this loss it loses some of its character.
;254;

.euphoria.

Out of my vector.
Every? Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina are the only other dragon legendaries. That makes 6 out of 37.

Yes, but those were all main Legendaries. They've been on box art and were pivotal to the main story. Worse yet: Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were the past four main-series handheld games. And now we have Black and White with two new box-art Dragon Types. That's six games in a row. The problem isn't so much that there's a growing abundance of Legendaries that are Dragons, but that there's a growing abundance of main Legendaries that are Dragons.

I really don't mind the Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh similarities. They're there, yes; I'm not about to deny it, but really why's it matter? Pokemon designs are moving slightly in a new direction. I personally like it. I don't think they're purposefully trying to mimic Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh. After all what would that do for them? Considering both Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh are much less popular than Pokemon?

... For the longest time I've been hoping Pokemon would pick up a bit of a more "mature" feel... and never thought it would happen. But now we have Legendaries that look less like cutesy animals and more like godly monsters. Not to mention the player characters being older, and the likelihood that "technology VS nature" will tie into the plot somehow. (I love the idea of Reshi representing nature and Zekky representing technology.) It's just enough to give the older players the feeling that it's matured a bit, while still being open and friendly to younger players. If this is indeed the direction B/W is headed, I'm really happy with it.

Austere Articuno

Il fait froid
Lati@s much?

And not to get too overly technical, but if we count Arceus [Dragon Forme], that makes 9/37. So, yes. They need to end it with the dragon overload.

That being said. I think it's very obvious with the yin/yang, black/white, good/evil, nature/technology, polar opposite morality thing they have going on that they're going to finally introduce the Light-Type.

Perhaps Game Freak has FINALLY realized that Psychic-Type =/= Light-Type (see: Espeon and Umbreon).

But we'll see. I'd be happy with Ice/Dragon and Dark/Dragon as well.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
I've generally disliked the design of Mewtwo :p
But my point is that Mewtwo is one of the first 151 Pokemon. As such it makes a good argument against the idea that these new Pokemon aren't Pokemony enough.

Basically, they don't look like they fit in with the Pokémon Universe. Reshiram maybe, as it looks more natural and mythological, but Zekrom looks like something that was animal like, but then has digivolved to become covered in armour.
The Pokemon universe has it's fair share of armour'd Pokemon, heck Hitmonchan is wearing an apron. It seems to me that it fits in just fine and you just don't like that side of the Pokemon universe. If you don't like the design that's fine but it does fit in the universe and you don't have to catch it if you don't want.

Plus, the entire concept that Pokémon are supposed to be based of something- either an animal, plant or mythologically based. Zekrom looks completely abstract, especially with it's drill/ Jet engine looking tail and armoured hide.
Again I point out that without taking a good look it's hard to know what Mewtwo is based on either. Yeah you don't like Mewtwo's design probably for that very reason but once again I'm using Mewtwo as an example that Pokemon designs have been like this since the begining.

AKRy100

Shockingly electric!
I would like the new legendaries more if reshiram didn't look like a flying goat and if zekrom didn't look like a fusion of palkia, arceus, darkrai and slowbro.

I think Game Freak could have been a bit more imaginative, especially with zekrom's design and their part-dragon typings.

catzeye

Writer's Block
So they ARE dragon types? I figured that. I don't mind it really. I hope they'll have secondary typings too.

All the dragon type legendaries we've had so far:
Latios
Latias
Rayquaza
Giratina
Palkia
Dialga

Um let's see that's only 6. And we have about 37+ legendaries in general? I fail to see how this is too much. In fact we have more Psychic and Flying type legendaries than anything.

hitoshura0

And not to get too overly technical, but if we count Arceus [Dragon Forme], that makes 9/37. So, yes. They need to end it with the dragon overload.

That being said. I think it's very obvious with the yin/yang, black/white, good/evil, nature/technology, polar opposite morality thing they have going on that they're going to finally introduce the Light-Type.

Perhaps Game Freak has FINALLY realized that Psychic-Type =/= Light-Type (see: Espeon and Umbreon).

But we'll see. I'd be happy with Ice/Dragon and Dark/Dragon as well.

So you don't think the amount of Psychic legendaries is high too? I mean they encompass 12/37, 13 if you count Arceus. Or because that was the original "legendary" type it gets a pass.

Also, there is like 5 types that encompass "Light", so the Light type is a pretty silly and useless concept.

esper109

HGSS FTW
I prefer Reshiram - it looks all angelic but there's a hint of something else there too. Zekrom...I'm liking, but I'm still not entirely sure about it yet. As far as starters go, I'm not liking the fire pig, but the other two are cute. Lets just see where they all end up!

Dante Falls

Doppelgänger
But my point is that Mewtwo is one of the first 151 Pokemon. As such it makes a good argument against the idea that these new Pokemon aren't Pokemony enough.

Again I point out that without taking a good look it's hard to know what Mewtwo is based on either. Yeah you don't like Mewtwo's design probably for that very reason but once again I'm using Mewtwo as an example that Pokemon designs have been like this since the begining.

Fair shout, but my main gripe is that you can tell what Pokémon are based upon. Now, in context, it's clear that Mewtwo is based upon a deformed/improved Mew, which has Cat/ Foetus characteristics. Which is alright. Whilst Zekrom has no clear basis in origin.

The Pokemon universe has it's fair share of armour'd Pokemon, heck Hitmonchan is wearing an apron. It seems to me that it fits in just fine and you just don't like that side of the Pokemon universe. If you don't like the design that's fine but it does fit in the universe and you don't have to catch it if you don't want.

Armoured yes, but only when they make sense. Hitmonchan is based upon a boxer, Aggron is based upon a Triceratops, Steelix is based upon a Wyrm, Forrettress is based upon a Bagworm mixed with a Fortress as it's shell. They all make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.