• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaiash, the thing is that although Mewtwo is an abstract looking one, it is only one of the original 151, and was not succeeded by another abstract one until something like Deoxys, hundreds of pokemon later. So you really can't say that pokemon have always looked like that.

Gaiash

Champion Scientist
Fair shout, but my main gripe is that you can tell what Pokémon are based upon. Now, in context, it's clear that Mewtwo is based upon a deformed/improved Mew, which has Cat/ Foetus characteristics. Which is alright. Whilst Zekrom has no clear basis in origin.
Looks like a dragon to me. A dragon made with *Dr Insano voice* science but a dragon none the less.

Steelia

forever.
Um let's see that's only 6. And we have about 37+ legendaries in general? I fail to see how this is too much. In fact we have more Psychic and Flying type legendaries than anything.

Yet again, let's get this straightened out: so far as I can tell, no one is saying there are too many Legendary Dragon Pkmn; Flyers and Psychics take that cake. What is being implied is that we are getting too many Legendary Dragon Pkmn in SUCCESSION, specifically as the title mascots. Emerald? Diamond? Pearl? Platinum? Now Black and White? Silver, Gold, and Crystal had Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Suicune; Ruby and Sapphire had Groudon and Kyogre. For the most part, there was no serious "trend" being followed here up until Rayquaza's title game. Now we're seeing nothing but Dragons on the front covers, and it's becoming tiresome.

As much as I like the Dragon type, this seriously needs to end. Hopefully if a third version comes out, we get a less Dragonic title Pkmn. And just a Personally, I don't want to be reminded of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum every time Dragon-types on the boxart.

Looks like a dragon to me. A dragon made with *Dr Insano voice* science but a dragon none the less.

Looks kinda like a dragon, but really has some sort of birds head and metallic body with a jet engine for a tail. Not really that dragonish I think. But each to his own. ;254;

catzeye

Writer's Block
As much as I like the Dragon type, this seriously needs to end. Hopefully if a third version comes out, we get a less Dragonic title Pkmn. And just a Personally, I don't want to be reminded of Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum every time Dragon-types on the boxart.

Well it's a gimmick. Dragon-types are hard to come by and hailed as one of the best types (or so I heard). And plus people seem to love dragons. So I guess they are trying to bring people in with the cool-boxart of dragon creatures.

Lol we all know it's a sales pitch in the end. Trying to bring in the money!

However on the topic of the Reshiram and Zekrom's typing, I think they'll both have a secondary typing. I don't think they'll leave one a pure dragon but who knows.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Yet again, let's get this straightened out: so far as I can tell, no one is saying there are too many Legendary Dragon Pkmn; Flyers and Psychics take that cake. What is being implied is that we are getting too many Legendary Dragon Pkmn in SUCCESSION, specifically as the title mascots. Emerald? Diamond? Pearl? Platinum? Now Black and White? Silver, Gold, and Crystal had Lugia, Ho-Oh, and Suicune; Ruby and Sapphire had Groudon and Kyogre. For the most part, there was no serious "trend" being followed here up until Rayquaza's title game. Now we're seeing nothing but Dragons on the front covers, and it's becoming tiresome.

I honestly can't see what's the problem with the Dragon-type pokemon. They all have their nature and their moves/abilities and they're different from each other. Having 10 legendary Dragons is fine, who knows how many kinds there are.

Having two legendary Dragons in a row is not a problem for me, as long as they're different and the creators have tried to make them to be seen different as they could.

.euphoria.

Out of my vector.

Precisely.

Yes, there are tons of Psychic-Type Legendaries (I don't really like that either), but at least there's only been one Psychic main Legendary thus far (that being Lugia). Whereas Black and White will bring us to six Dragon main Legendaries in a row. Seven if the third-game Legendary is also Dragon (which is of course pretty damn likely).

Flying has a similar problem, but at least Flying is a common Type. Flying doesn't try to be "ZOMG EPIC" in the same way that Dragon does. It's just an added element that emphasizes a Pokemon's affiliation with wings/birds/flight/air.

On the subject of Pokemon becoming more abstract, I do agree, but again I don't really have a problem with it. We've had abstract 'Mons since the beginning of time... and hell, Reshi and Zekky haven't even been known of for more than two days. For all we know they really do have some origin to them, and it just isn't plainly obvious. I've heard speculations that Reshi's an angel and Zekky's a gargoyle, for instance.

ceustace3

who cares if they are dragons? Dragon mascots are becoming a norm; nothing wrong with that. Maybe its just me, but hoho and groudon were the worst mascot so far. And when they tell us the species everything will make sense. who knew what deoxys was before the movie?

Phantom champion Z

i just realized that black and white have been officialy stated to be the us names. thank you white guilt, for not killin this game. your comig along nicely

on topic i like both of themand now that ive read some post i have noticed that the white one looks natural while the black one looks sleek and inorganic. im alittle upset that the black one wont be on the cover of black but i like them both so it dosnt realy matter.

jjag20

who cares if they are dragons? Dragon mascots are becoming a norm; nothing wrong with that. Maybe its just me, but hoho and groudon were the worst mascot so far. And when they tell us the species everything will make sense. who knew what deoxys was before the movie?

exactly i think they are both perfectly okay mascots as long as they have a good story line behind them. as of now my heart is set on getting zekrom though :p maybe they appear in the new movie ? :O time will only tell

but like you said dragons are becoming the norm and i honestly think it will stay that way for quite a while

jjag20

i just realized that black and white have been officialy stated to be the us names. thank you white guilt, for not killin this game. your comig along nicely

on topic i like both of themand now that ive read some post i have noticed that the white one looks natural while the black one looks sleek and inorganic. im alittle upset that the black one wont be on the cover of black but i like them both so it dosnt realy matter.
yeah i dont get that either its like What the heck!? okay so they put the white dude on the cover of black and the black dude on the cover of white whos bright idea was that probally has something to do with the story or something.

.euphoria.

Out of my vector.
im alittle upset that the black one wont be on the cover of black but i like them both so it dosnt realy matter.

I really, really think they just put them on opposite color backgrounds to make it look nice. Yanno. Contrast. Because white on white doesn't look as pretty as white on black. I see no reason why they would actually make Reshi Black's Legendary and Zekky White's Legendary. If it does happen, though, I won't really care.

The thing about the Dragon Legendaries just irks me. I mean. We have seventeen Types and they have to make the rarest, coolest, most "speshul" one and tack it onto every major Legendary... even if that Legendary could do without that Type. "Dragons" are a very broad classification; some look like serpents, some look like lizards, some look like an abstract mess of traits. Reshi and Zekky would be fine without the Dragon Type. Hell, Dialga and Palkia would too. But it just feels like they're trying to say, "LOOK! The mascots of the latest games are -omg so cool- DRAGONS! Isn't that EPIC?" When really they don't have to be Dragons and would be much more unique and fun to train if they were some other Type. After using Dialga and Palkia in D/P it's sort of disappointing to be stuck with two more Dragon Types to use.

... Though I am hopeful that their secondary Types will be nice. Psychic for Reshi and Dark for Zekky seems likely and wouldn't be so bad.

Alkaid

maybe they are dark and light type

fenris91

Hey! Black and White get to keep their names for North America. I honestly thought it would be Pokemon Darkness and Light. That's good to hear though.

I like the new Legendaries. They seem to have a One-Winged Angel thing going on. (Or like in Ah My Goddess, Lind's guardians Cool Mint and Spear Mint)

I'll have to see them in game to see if they just have one wing a piece or if that's just because they were drawn at a certain angle.

Although everything is already decided, now would be a good time for Gamefreak to introduce Shadow Pokemon into the main series. Just sayin'.

I really, really think they just put them on opposite color backgrounds to make it look nice. Yanno. Contrast. Because white on white doesn't look as pretty as white on black. I see no reason why they would actually make Reshi Black's Legendary and Zekky White's Legendary. If it does happen, though, I won't really care.

The thing about the Dragon Legendaries just irks me.
Someone someway way said it was to do with ying and yang. Can't remember who, but that's why.
I agree with you on the Dragon type.

maybe they are dark and light type
I've said this once and I'll say it again- the "LIGHT" type is a RUBBISH idea.

Shadow Pokemon wouldn't be awful, but they'd kind of wreck the place. Although I have thought of many ways in wich they might appear (same way and rarity as shinies appear). When they attack they only do damage to themselves. When they KO, they actually DIE, leaving behind a "shadow powder" that either cures a Pokemon of its shadow status or turns a pure one into one. And they could learn some shadow moves that stay with the Pokem on when it's cured. All of these do recoil damage, but would be quite powerful moves.
The dying part isn't too mature a concept- I mean, they're already making the chracters slightly older, suggesting that they think (and are probably right) that most Pokemon fans are more in their teens to twenties, as opposed to the "child" hobby.

Last edited:

Tackman

Optimistic Trainer
Of course, when saying 6 Dragon mascots in a row, that's excluding HG/SS... My favourite Pokémon game to date... *sigh*

SunRiver

Guardian of Earth
I really like these new legendary Pokemon (And I don't like legends that much), their design is very comfortable, I don't know, it's just a feeling, and for some reason they compel you to find out the stories behind each one. A new era indeed, especially after the lame designs that are Palkia and Dialga. ^_^

9dragonbreed

Arukate Énigme
I was looking at the both then i realized something in there name. Has anyone else noticed that their names are reshiRAM and zekROM. Complete opppsites. Their technological. Random Acces Memory and Read-Only Memory. Now knowing this i wonder what they will be like and what their stories are...

Valkyrie X

I won't lie, despite my love for dragon-types, I am quite disappointed that Reshi and Zek had to be thrown atop the legendary dragon pile. My main gripe is that I don't see why it was necessary; neither of them scream DRACONIC to me. Although they may have a few small characteristics of a dragon, the most reasonable interpretation I've seen of them was an angel/gargoyle theme, and in all honesty, they didn't have to attach a dragon label to that idea. I was mostly just hoping for a dark/steel combo for Zekrom, though - it would've been amazing and different with only 2 weaknesses.

Of course, it's true that dragon-types are a gimmick and will often be associated with power and rarity. But when front-cover dragons are being released in succession this way...it does start to get old and unnecessary.

That's my only real gripe, though, and I know I'll enjoy the games nonetheless. Zekrom is still awesome, I absolutely love his concept, and Reshiram's very pretty (despite having a rather disorganized design :p). Can't wait for more new info now.

jjag20

I was looking at the both then i realized something in there name. Has anyone else noticed that their names are reshiRAM and zekROM. Complete opppsites. Their technological. Random Acces Memory and Read-Only Memory. Now knowing this i wonder what they will be like and what their stories are...
yeah i seen that on pokebeach maybe there will be a new type like digital type they corrospond to ?

also have you noticed articUNO zapDOS molTRES lol sorry had to mention that

Status
Not open for further replies.