• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mawile is based on a youkai, the Futakuchi-onna. Gothmon looks nothing like it, and has nothing, huh, mouth-related.

I'd be disappointed if Mawile evolved into something with... no mouth. It would be like evolving Scyther into Yanmega.

I kinda see why that person would post that it looks like a Mawile evo. If you watch the video, someone uses Fire Punch on it alone rather than the others for a reason. Fire > Steel. That person could have a point.

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
^ Could also be a Jynx evo for the same reason. Fire > Ice.

saar

Shiny Flygon
I think the 3 on 3 battles are pretty good, 3 pokemon in every side is not so crowded as I thought it will be.(especially with Hihidaruma who's pretty big).
I think the armored Fire pokemon is also a Steel type pokemon, and the Green pokemon might have a new type combination of Grass/Ghost.

Well when I first saw the right yellow pokemon I think it is a pre-evo of Giratina but it isn't.

Sabonea_Masukippa

3weirds.png

fourc.png

2weirs.png

23966430.png

I got bored with seeing the same screenshots, so I assumed everyone else did too.

Remember, the triple battle guys are on screen for all of 2 seconds in a one minute clip.
same goes for the double battle guys.
Just wait until we see their official art/clear screens or something. This all sounds really silly.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Gothmon - It's a fair design. Very Drapion-like. I'm rooting for it being a Smmochum evolution, actually, but there's not enough indication that it certainly is...

Mantis Creature - I have a rule on judging what Pokemon I like and what Pokemon I don't - it I can't make out its facial features I don't like it. I could change my opinion witth Sugimori art.

Tarantula - I'm actually looking forward to this one. I hope it's something like a Sun Spider.

Sarcophagus Ghost Creature - I like how its ghostly hands stuck out during battle, but then the sarcophagus closed when it was attacked. I'm looking forward to seeing the front animation. I wonder if it has a unique ability related to the animation.

Rock Creature - I wouldn't call it a dragon, but okay.

Strange Fetus Floating in Green Jello - Well I give it points for being...original! It's better than Munna.

Moles - They're moles. Whoopdidoo. They're really not that great. I see too many of them.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Gothmon - It's a fair design. Very Drapion-like. I'm rooting for it being a Smmochum evolution, actually, but there's not enough indication that it certainly is...

Mantis Creature - I have a rule on judging what Pokemon I like and what Pokemon I don't - it I can't make out its facial features I don't like it. I could change my opinion with Sugimori art.

Tarantula - I'm actually looking forward to this one. I hope it's something like a Sun Spider.

Sarcophagus Ghost Creature - I like how its ghostly hands stuck out during battle, but then the sarcophagus closed when it was attacked. I'm looking forward to seeing the front animation. I wonder if it has a unique ability related to the animation.

Rock Creature - I wouldn't call it a dragon, but okay.

Strange Fetus Floating in Green Jello - Well I give it points for being...original! It's better than Munna.

Moles - They're moles. Whoopdidoo. They're really not that great. I see too many of them.

Smashchu

Beginning Trainer
This is EASILY EXPLAINABLE. Think about it. Red/Blue were the FIRST generation games, meaning it was something ENTIRELY new and people wanted to try it out, so the sales would obviously skyrocket due to the factor of curiosity. The ones who didnt like it decided not to move forward with the series, therefore they didn't bother buying the following generations. The explanation for the loss of sales in the rest, TECHNOLOGY. Most people I know who used to play pokemon switched over to 360's n PS3's rather than play on pokemon on Gameboys and DSs. The change of interest causes a loss in sales. On top of that, the newer generation of children are living in the age of high definition graphics and more complex games. They'd rather be playing those than pokemon. I play Call of Duty on PS3 and I end up facing countless 10 year olds who think they're cool by playing MW2. When I was 10, I was playing pokemon with my friends, not Call of Duty. Sales are the butt end of the situation. The real cause of this is change of interest and varied appeal, not the amount of pokemon or the various age groups.
None of what you said makes sense.

• Each version of Smash Brothers out sells the previous
  • Halo 1-3 had the newer version outsell the previous one
  • New Super Mario Bros on the DS outsold Super Mario Bros 3, the best selling game that was not bundeled or had multiple version.
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 out sold the first
  • Final Fantasy 7 is the best selling Final Fantasy game, not the first
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocorina of Time out sold the first Zelda on teh NES
  • Sonic 2 out sold Sonic 1
  • Mario Kart DS became the best selling Mario Kart game and was the 5th in the series. Mario Kart Wii outsold it.
  • Megaman 2 out sold Mega Man 1

So no. The notion of the first game outselling the predecessor is false. Also, you fail to explain the shear drop in sales over the life span of Pokemon. From the first game to Diamond and Pearl, the series has had a almost a 50% drop in sales. How is that healthy?

Also, kids going to the 360 and PS3? Nintendo controls 60% of the video game market. More kids would be playing Wiis and DSs over PS3s and 360s When Pokemon came out, Nintendo controlled far less. And the DS sold more than the Game Boy. Also, if kids who were growing up went to the HD systems, how come new kids entering the market aren't filling the gap?

How come Pokemon's sales have declined nearly 50% when the system sales boost should have at least helped it? The sales of the last two game can't even compete with Gold and Silver.

The only explanation is people are not interested in Pokemon. Pokemon is dying. However, Nintendo will not notice because decline for Pokemon is still a heck of a lot better than other games.

And about Pikachu being the most popular pokemon, its because Pikachu's the MASCOT of the series, just like how MARIO is the MASCOT of NINTENDO. THE MASCOTS are the ones that receive popularity, not everyone. Majority of the world knows who Mario is, yet only a select group of people know who Star Fox is. Get the concept?
You are missing the point. There are 493 pokemon right now I believe. But out of the other 492, how come one of them can't be near as popular as Pikachu? There should be one by shear statistical variation. But there isn't. Best explanation? Pokemon are not resonating as well as they used to.

I kinda see why that person would post that it looks like a Mawile evo. If you watch the video, someone uses Fire Punch on it alone rather than the others for a reason. Fire > Steel. That person could have a point.

Or maybe Hihidaruma used Fire Punch because gothmon is neutral to it, while bluemon is Rock-type and greenmon is actually a plant cell and thus, Water-type.

Saying it's an Steel-type just because of Fire Punch is a stretch.

BCVM22

So, it makes sense that the "best" pokemon are the ones that imitate nature.

No. It makes sense that those are the "best" to you. Because clearly you have preferences that haven't been updated in about a decade. And if that suits you, fine, but don't for a second think those preferences constitute an objective truth, because they most certainly do not.

Now let me add some hard facts to this. Look at sales for the four main Pokemon games.
  1. Red/Blue:31.37m
  2. Gold/Silver:23.10m
  3. Ruby/Sapphire:15.38
  4. Diamond/Pearl:17.5

You know what these numbers mean? That Pokémon started as a white-hot fad putting up numbers that were utterly unsustainable. Popular culture in America and around the world is littered with products, series and franchises that have done the same. POGs, anyone? Tamagotchis? Don't be ashamed, I had boxes full of both.

You know what Pokémon has done that none of those other things did, though? It has endured. As I just said, the numbers Pokémon put up at its international outset were utterly unsustainable. No one would have looked at those numbers and concluded "this franchise will continue to sell 30 million-plus per game." No one, not the wisest scholar or the greatest fool. But the fact that the franchise is still able to sell 17 million units over a decade later is not a detriment to the series, it is a testament. Do you know how many video game series would sacrifice countless virgins (hold your jokes, folks) to sell 17 million units every 4-5 years? A lot of them. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a defining work of its series, a seminal work of the medium and one of the finest video games ever. Do you know what its worldwide number was, not counting the various ports and re-releases?

7.6 million.

Even if you account for the fact that the sales numbers of Diamond and Pearl include the sales of two titles, the point is still quite clear. Companies laud their titles for selling in the single millions. Pokémon is able to routinely post sales exceeding 15 million, and that is for the pair of titles that sold the lowest. Pokémon has not declined - it has settled into a sustainable pattern and it has endured.

Furthermore, the 3rd and 4th generations both introduced pair of remake titles to gamers. Funny how you neglected to include those numbers - that's an additional 10.49 million units worldwide for FireRed/LeafGreen and 7.94 million units for HeartGold and SoulSilver, a title that hasn't even been available in Japan for a full year - in your argument.

Pokemon is not doing well anymore.

See above. This is as far from the truth as can be.

Now, I work at Wal-Mart, so I tend to see what a lot of people buy and can talk to them. You know who is interested in Pokemon. 7-10 year olds. Not a big surprise yes? Well, consider that more people were playing pokemon when it was released on the Game Boy. I even knew teenagers that would play pokemon. Not to mention, the number of kids who play pokemon is very small. It's not like every boy 7-10 plays it. Only a few do. Also, I very rarely see kids buy Pokemon cards, even when I'm on the belts near the cards. Also, I have yet to see a girl interested in Pokemon. They just aren't drawing kids in.

So the clientele at your one Wal-Mart is completely indicative of the sales of the games over an entire continent? Really? Particularly when the numbers say that the games are still selling at incredible rates?

You see the error in logic here, I really hope.

But what about popular pokemon? Ask most of your friends who played pokemon as you'll hear that it's almost always a pokemon from gen 1, or possibly one from gen 2. There is also a group on Facebook along the lines of "Pokemon was good when there were only 150

And to put this as politely as possible, those people literally do not matter. Know why? I'd bet you few to none of them actually buy the games currently, and the beautiful irony to that is that if they are buying the games, clearly these horrible, ugly Pokémon that are contributing to the downfall of society aren't all that bad, hm?

"Need hard proof? There are 9 Pokemon characters in the Super Smash Bros series. Only two are outside gen 1. They are Pichu, the pre-evolution of Pikachu, and Lucario.

Because of 493 Pokémon, what is a mere fraction of them have the qualifications necessary to appear as playable characters in a game like Super Smash Bros. A far better indicator of the point you're trying to make here would be the Pokéball Pokémon, a group in which all four generations are represented equally. Furthermore, did Brawl not include an entire stage based visibly and conceptually on a distinct location from the Sinnoh region, featuring three Legendary Pokémon from that region in the background on a regular random rotation?

Notice how out of almost 500 pokemon that the most popular is still Pikachu. There has not been a pokemon that has surpassed him or has even gotten close.

Yes, because Pikachu has been, is and always will be continually pushed as the franchise's mascot. He is the most popular because he was engineered and positioned to be the most popular.

But remember this: Which pokemon game sold the most? And which pokemon to people remember the most and like the most?

To base an entire argument solely on these subjective, frivolous and whimsical factors would be an error in thinking of gargantuan proportions. Your entire tirade here is built upon skewed data, subjectivities, perceptions and other facets of the truth you've either embellished or outright ignored in the name of trying to make your point.

Gus Portual

Slateport Ranger
I'm sorry Smashchu, did you see my post?

Pokémon is dying? I don't mean to be rude but, are you dense? Over 30 million copies sold of the DPPtHGSS generation means it's dying?

You do realize that Nintendo bringing up Black and White so soon after the release of HGSS means they're trying to get their sales up, and they use one of their most profitable and popular franchises, right?

I'm from Spain but live in New York. In both places, when a game comes out, the lines are full of people whose ages range from 10 to 30 at least. I was also recently in the Pokémon VGC. The line for the senior section in the Newark tournament was approximately 700 people. 700 over 16 years old. All with DPPtHGSS games.

I guess your Wal-Mart isn't very indicative of the sales of Pokémon, really.

Also, Off topic.

Last edited:

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
That's just great. Y'know what that is? That's your opinion. In no way is anything you've seen automatically "better" than the Pokemon that've just been revealed because it's your own tastes.

He's right, frankly. Most of the griping from people is unjustified--we've seen little of these new Pokemon and know next to nothing about them, and people are complaining and throwing fits about slightly-distorted sprites of these new Pokemon? Really?

Anyone sensible would keep from impulsively "hating" these new designs, since we haven't seen enough of them for anyone to make any sort of judgment.

Uh, thanks, but I was referring to BCVM22's condescending post before mine. I don't entirely agree with your opinion, but at least you don't sound like a total douche when you state it.

You're right in saying that we don't have a very good perspective of the new pokemon, but until I see something to convince me otherwise, I'll say the red/blue rock and lolita have the aesthetic quality of a sweatsock.

I'm sorry Smashchu, did you see my post?

Pokémon is dying? I don't mean to be rude but, are you dense? Over 30 million copies sold of the DPPtHGSS generation means it's dying?

You do realize that Nintendo bringing up Black and White so soon after the release of HGSS means they're trying to get their sales up, and they use one of their most profitable and popular franchises, right?

Dying /=/ dead. Pokemon sells significantly fewer copies of each game each generation, and while they still sell a lot, you can't just ignore the trend. Don't get me wrong, Pokemon will last a long time, but it is dying. And other game franchises are growing or at least maintaining their sales.

Last edited:

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
Damn! These new Pokemon look SICK!!! The mantis looking one looks tight! The Pharaoh-Coffin looking creature? How is that gonna look/work?

Plus I'm like WTF??!! 157 NEW POKEMON??!! That's the same number of Pokemon I created! Making a total of 500 Pokemon! I don't believe this!! First the type match-ups I created are coming true and now the EXACT number of Pokemon is coming out??!

Is this some kind of sick Cosmic humor or something? All my ideas are coming true right before my eyes! This is getting real creepy for real!

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5210/greenblob.jpg
Can somebody post the "Aww" smiley from somethingawful
One of the gang must catch it.
I love this little guy. One of my favorite gen 5 Pokemon so far. It defenitely has a spot on my gen 5 team. I'm hoping Ash or one of his friends catch that little guy. Don't let Team Rocket get him, because they'll just make him a joke.

King Shuckle

Don't be daft
I know a lot of people make arguments about how some of our Pokemon throughout the recent generations look like Digimon, or other various things and it's ridiculous.

However, I will subscribe to the notion that the new rock Pokemon slightly resembles a possible Nosepass relative. After taking a closer look at the pics from filb.de, the coloration for some reason looks different in their pics than the others, but I am not sure out of all the places, which coloration is the most accurate. With that being said, the rock creature's body is shaped like nose, and it's feet are shaped like a nose, and it's coloration is near identical to Nosepass, so to me, the theory applied is "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...." If it is related to Nosepass, I think it's an alt. evolution rather than a Probopass evolution. We'll see what the future magazine reveal has to say (if there is one).

Of course, I could be dead wrong like how some people held the belief that Carnivine was going to be an alt. evolution of Weepinbell (even though the magazine scans that revealed other Pokemon clearly stated they were related to a Pokemon of a previous generation i.e. Budew, Roserade, Electivire, Weavile). However, I still think Carnivine has a similar resemblance to Mayor McCheese, but never mind that. >.>

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Everyone is saying that that green floating goo Pokemon would make a good grass/ghost type. I'm hoping that they don't make our gooey new Pokemon a grass type just because it's green. I think they should make it a water/ghost type.

DesertJohn

Shiny Hunter
F**K YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
GOD ! ALL OF THEM LOOK FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC ! I don't even have the right words to describe my excitment. WOW. At first when I saw the picture, I thought Ononokusu and Doryuuzu were legendary, But they really ARE Legen... DARY . They look awafully tough, And mister mantis will probably make it to my team. And don't even get me started on denchura, I may not be able to see its front, But f**k ! An Electric Tarntula ! Seriously, Its gonna be on my team too, Even if it means I'm gonna be on 2 bugs, I don't care. They look so EPIC !
The green plasma pokemon is cute ! And the mineral thing looks really tough !
That ladyish pokemon is also cool, Keeping it with the B/W Theme.
The coffin is lolol. Perhaps not as epic, But def gonna be hillarious.
Catchin em all will be FREAKING AWESOME

BRING IT ON NINTENDO BRING IT ON

Chimchar15

F**K YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
GOD ! ALL OF THEM LOOK FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC ! I don't even have the right words to describe my excitment. WOW. At first when I saw the picture, I thought Ononokusu and Doryuuzu were legendary, But they really ARE Legen... DARY . They look awafully tough, And mister mantis will probably make it to my team. And don't even get me started on denchura, I may not be able to see its front, But f**k ! An Electric Tarntula ! Seriously, Its gonna be on my team too, Even if it means I'm gonna be on 2 bugs, I don't care. They look so EPIC !
The green plasma pokemon is cute ! And the mineral thing looks really tough !
That ladyish pokemon is also cool, Keeping it with the B/W Theme.
The coffin is lolol. Perhaps not as epic, But def gonna be hillarious.
Catchin em all will be FREAKING AWESOME

BRING IT ON NINTENDO BRING IT ON

Lol. Glad to see a few people are excited about these guys. I am loving them more as the time passes. At first when Munna was introduced I was weirded out by it but it has grown on me.

~Hot~as~Ice~

Gothmon is either a totally new pokemon or a split evo of Smoochum being Psychic/Dark. The lips and the color of the face are far to similar to Jynx, but too diffrent to be a straight up evolution.

saar

Shiny Flygon
Everyone is saying that that green floating goo Pokemon would make a good grass/ghost type. I'm hoping that they don't make our gooey new Pokemon a grass type just because it's green. I think they should make it a water/ghost type.

But just becuase it is floating doesn't mean it is a Ghost type aswell.
It might be a Flying/Grass type, or Poison type (many Grass-look pokemon were also Poison).

People were just expecting to see some new combinations of types.
Ononokusu is a mantis pokemon but at least it doesn't look like Scyther, so it's good. Although It might be Bug type, I hope they won't have him getting Scyther's second type, Flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.