• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Spinarak or Ariados are Spiders... they have 6 legs. Spiders have 8. Probably explaining why it's not considered the "Spider Pokemon" under classification (They are the "String Spit" and the "Long Leg" Pokemon, respectively)

Except for the fact that this new spider, in fact, has 4 Legs. It's not like the kiddies are going to care much for biology.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
I don't think Spinarak or Ariados are Spiders... they have 6 legs. Spiders have 8. Probably explaining why it's not considered the "Spider Pokemon" under classification (They are the "String Spit" and the "Long Leg" Pokemon, respectively)

That always struck me as odd, as why they had 6 legs. They're based off of spiders, in general, as they are bug and poison themed, having a large range of bug, dark, poison, etc. attacks, which fit the "Raarrr, I'm a spider! I'll web you up, then use my digestive enzyme acid hybrid to pre-digest you, then drink the pulpy liquid!" theme.
Tarantulas fit the same theme. They probably has a hard time drawing 8 legs. Plus, adding another type, called "Arachnids", seems a bit iffy, don't you think?

That's what I thought, but there are two things that point to it being related to her.

1. The facial resemblance is undeniable.

2. The feminine charateristics of the pokemon are on the same level of Jynx, only a diffrent dress and hair-do.

3. Jynx was cheated in the last generation. Magmar and Eletabuz got their evolutions, but Jynx, who is essentially in the same group, was skipped for who knows why. Maybe there was an actual reason for this? Maybe she got a split evo over a regular evo like the other two?

If this pokemon has anything to do with Jynx I will by ecstatic as she is my favorite pokemon besides Latias.

I think that if it's either an evolution of Jynx or an alternate evolution to Mr. Mime (Mrs. Mime anyone?).

What about Desukan, the tomb pokemon? I think it's a ghost/ground type, or maybe a rock type.

The mantis pokemon is cool. I say it's rock/bug or rock/dragon.

I think Dunchura is an Ariados evolution. If not, I think it's a pure Bug type or a Bug/poison.

What about the pokemon in the middle of the unrevealed pokemon: the red and purple one. I think it's an alternet evolution for Rydon.

I think the gooey green pokemon is Poison/either Ghost or Grass.

(Well) Then

It's Lesson Time!
That always struck me as odd, as why they had 6 legs. They're based off of spiders, in general, as they are bug and poison themed, having a large range of bug, dark, poison, etc. attacks, which fit the "Raarrr, I'm a spider! I'll web you up, then use my digestive enzyme acid hybrid to pre-digest you, then drink the pulpy liquid!" theme.
Tarantulas fit the same theme. They probably has a hard time drawing 8 legs. Plus, adding another type, called "Arachnids", seems a bit iffy, don't you think?

Yeah, that's a bit iffy, so lets just stick with "The Kiddies probably won't care for the biology of what makes 'spiders' spiders."

Guess I'll have to talk or rant about that some other time, eh?

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
Except for the fact that this new spider, in fact, has 4 Legs. It's not like the kiddies are going to care much for biology.

Forgot to notice that. Well, that's funny. I bet they'll incorporate that, as the bug catchers always know all there is to know about bugs!

Being yellow doesn't mean its electric it can be but the coloring isn't all.

XD. Okay, it's coloration has nothing to do with our speculation of electric type. If you look at the name, it's a japanese hybrid of electric, and tarantula XD. That's why we're saying that, not at all about the color. Though, notice how a good deal of electric types out there, are yellow, or at least one part of their body is yellow XD.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's a bit iffy, so lets just stick with "The Kiddies probably won't care for the biology of what makes 'spiders' spiders."
Guess I'll have to talk or rant about that some other time, eh?
Yeah. We could rant/discuss it in a pm....

Hey, guys, I just noticed something! Look at Ariados's pokedex. Look clearly at the sprite. It clearly has 4 legs, just like Denchura!
BUT, if you look at the abdomen, you'll notice two arms, or appendages. Denchura and Ariados have those two appendages in the same spot. These are more like arms. These arms, are used to maintain the silk, or webbing they shoot out, like when spinarak uses it's back legs, to climb down it's silk!
Now, I'll admit Denchura's appendages aren't that noticeable, but they are clearly there!

Last edited:

SteelArson

That's it's tail/some sort of appendage coming from it's back. Look at the video - the steel tip thing moves independently from the head.

ahh i see, could anyone provide a link to the video so i could see for myself =)

It's not a mantis. That's just what one/two people thought it look liked. And it stuck. We don't really know what it's based off.

kinda a similar situation to how some people thought munna was a drowsee prevo then. kinda takes some of the dislike out of it now i know they haven't completely lost the plot =P

Well that's because this one is awesome. I thought it was weird at first but once I realized that the body was separate from the jelly I was in love.

oh yeah, it's like a little body surrounded by jelly! i have to admit now it is pretty awesome. if it is based on an amoeba or a cell i wonder what type it'll be

TBH, I don't get why you and so many people seem so deeply offended by this design?? It's not like they went back and had Pikachu shoot first (10 Awesome points for knowing that reference). What specifically about the design don't you like?

I hate how angular and smooth it is at the same time. it's one of the reasons the 3rd gen is my least favorite gen so far, so many of the pokemon looked like they were made of sharp plastic that had been conjured up in 10 mins in a school DT workshop. and the fact it is completely overwealmed by spines looks like they are trying to hard to make something which looks mean. it's kinda like how if you like chocolate you don't just constantly eat it, becasue eventually you will end up being really sick and probably develop diabetes, and to me this pokemon screams angular plastic spine diabetes!

Nothing about it's design strikes me as particularly lacking care. What is it about it that is particularly carelessly done to you?

i'm not the best at using words to describe how i see something, i used to think modest meant someone who doesn't brag about things =P

I guess what i meant was that, it just doesn't look like they tried to make something that would stand out instead they just made it to fill a concept, kinda creating it without too much care for the final probuct as long as it conformed to the basics of design.

Nothing's stopping you from using your favourites, but, unfortunately, even in single battles (particularly in competitive play) some Pokemon just don't cut it. If you know what it takes to win and choose not to do it, that's your choice. I don't see how someone creating an "unbeatable" team in 3vs3 would be any different from an "unbeatable" 1vs1 match? Nor that it would be any easier/harder to do so?

3vs3 battling is confirmed to be in the game. We have no idea how, when, where it will be implemented within the frame work nor any of its logistics or special rules. We know it exists, basically, but we don't know much else. Just because you can't imagine it being good or fun right now doesn't mean it won't be and it doesn't mean that some/most people who eventually buy the games will think that way either.

i dunno i guess i just don't see the point in 3 vs 3. what could having an extra pokemon on the field possibly bring to the game that having 2 doesn't. maybe i'm just missing something big here, but i don't see why we need to send out half of our pokemon at once.

Hopefully they implement this as a novelty thing as part of online play allowing 6 people to play at once. the one thing i can say is i don't want to see 3 on 3 battles happening all the time.

Bardische

Elegance.
I'm actually laughing at everyone who bother to dictate what shouldn't and should be in the designs of the pokemon.

Oh, and SteelArson, STFU. That was the ugliest complaint I have ever seen in my life. Your opinion? Blah, it looks more like a death threat to Game Freak to get what you want.

Denchura has Den in it, which means electricity. How can you guys not speculate it could be half-Electric?

And Imma say this once right now. Just to stop. It's pokemon. Anything can happen. If it's not up to ur standards then geez louise mac n cheese bolognese, don't get a hissy fit and pee your pants over something that isn't released yet. Seriously, thread wars about pokemon always have at least one person complaining about a pokemon's relation IRL.

HokkaidoMaster

Waaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiittt, just one second!
*Puts on Steven Colbert Glasses*
IT'S REALITY SHOW CLIP TIME!
Oh wait, wrong show, that's the soup! *Shoots intern*

This, America, is tonight's word. (The Word: No, really, I support the LGBT community!)
A threat to our nation's security! (The Word: And a threat to Jynx's job security!)
A threat to our two type basing! (The Word: 3 poke battle?! What's next, a pokemon with three types? *Stares blankly at the x-mas tree x-dresser*)
Tonight, America, we must hope our greatest fears aren't realized! (The Word: An even uglier Nosepass evolution!)
*Cough, Cough, Ahem* Sorry, that was horrible. Not as Whorrible as the xmas tree xdresser

That was absolutely hilarious! I love that show!

Anyway, I think I like most of the pokemon, but I'm not really one way or the other. We haven't seen their full sprites yet, so I'm not sure about them just yet. I'll still buy it, no matter what the end-product is; I think it's a sign of my pure obsession with pokemon (The fact that you are on this site proves you are just as obsessed as me). I think it's a little early to judge the whole game though, considering we have 22 out of a hopefully 150+ PokeDex. Those of you who are judging them need a serious reality-check.

Last edited:

Sabonea_Masukippa

Being yellow doesn't mean its electric it can be but the coloring isn't all.

The spiders name is denchura. Den (電)is a Japanese prefix for electric. Chura comes from taranchula. People just joined the dots.

BTW, moguryuu's name is a kinda cool pun. Moles in Japanese are called mogura.
Which is written in Kanji as 土竜. The second character (竜) means dragon*, and is often pronounced as ryuu (as in dragonite = kairyuu in Japanese, or litterally: Sea Dragon) Well, it was cool to me...

*I am not saying, implying, suggesting or hypothesizing that the Moguryuu is part dragon type.

(Well) Then

It's Lesson Time!
i dunno i guess i just don't see the point in 3 vs 3. what could having an extra pokemon on the field possibly bring to the game that having 2 doesn't. maybe i'm just missing something big here, but i don't see why we need to send out half of our pokemon at once.

Hopefully they implement this as a novelty thing as part of online play allowing 6 people to play at once. the one thing i can say is i don't want to see 3 on 3 battles happening all the time.

When Double battles were introduced in R/S, they weren't used very much, the most noteworthy time being a Gym battle, but after FR/LG, you basically ran into double battles more often, still not nearly as often as single battles, but often enough. Even if it's novelty the first time around (Which I expect it to be), I hope they implement it into the battle tower so that those who want to do it for competitiveness have some place to go.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
That was absolutely hilarious! I love that show!
Anyway, I think I like most of the pokemon, but I'm not really one way or the other. We haven't seen their full sprites yet, so I'm not sure about them just yet. I'll still buy it, no matter what the end-product is. I think it's a little early to judge the whole game though, considering we have 22 out of a hopefull 150+ PokeDex. Those of you who are judging them need a serious reality-check.

Which one? I'm assuming the Colbert Report, but, alternatively, the soup, or both. I like both. I really like the spoof vgcats did of the word.
@HM, I kind of understand your frustration with the way people are acting at the new pokemon.
Funny news, is that I can rock colbert glasses. Kind of because I've always liked wearing glasses (even before I got my first pair), and I've also rocked harry potter glasses (mostly because people say I looked like him). His style of glasses, and his business suit type clothing, suit me. Not the patriotic incorporation of colors though....

ShadowArcanine

Era of Thunder
I said that because people where emplying that it is Electric becuase its yellow not because of the translation
It may be Electric it may be Poison it may be Bug who nows plus the english name might not even show any relationship with the pokemon's type

Sabonea_Masukippa

Congrats you went from being a whiny dude on the internet to someone with an opinion that was fairly well expressed. :D
Those kinds of transformations are uncommon, be proud.

ahh i see, could anyone provide a link to the video so i could see for myself =)
Why here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNfnr7kvD_E

The gameplay starts about 25 seconds in and goes for about the next minute if you want to ignore the *interesting* hosts and costumes of Oha Suta.

Cobalt_Latios

I have 2 explanations for this. First of all, you have the names of Spinarak and Ariados; both have segments to their names that are derived from terminology of both Spiders and Arachnids. The other (as to why they don't have 8 legs), is probably more to avoid issues with the fear known as "Arachnaphobia". Sure, it's just a game, but there have been a few games that did involve Spiders that I was reluctant to play at times.

The Japanese name is a combination of Electric and Tarantula.

It's Bug and Electric.
Sounds cool. But, I'd have to see what it looks like first. I have this fear of Tarantulas... but not so much spiders... weird.

Actually, the designs for a few of them are pretty cool. Still wondering how that sarcophagus guy will work though. Then again, we haven't really had an Egyptian themed Pokemon as of yet.

Otherwise, I'm actually liking most of them this time.

C_L

ShadowArcanine

Era of Thunder
I said that because people where emplying that it is Electric becuase its yellow not because of the translation
It may be Electric it may be Poison it may be Bug who nows plus the english name might not even show any relationship with the pokemon's type

Status
Not open for further replies.