• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashchu

Beginning Trainer
I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I did respond, but the website ate my post.
The fact that Pokémon sold more copies when it started isn't that surprising. It came out with great controversy, a new anime series, a card game and a massive PR campaign.
In Japan, it launched with just the game. That stuff came to the states because of how popular it was in Japan. Those things are an effect, not a cause.

Ruby and Sapphire had a massive problem. They didn't include the old pokémon and (here's the kicker) it didn't let you transfer pokémon from your old games. With this move, Nintendo lost a great quantity of the players of the old generation. What's the point of training them, if they're not going to let me transfer them?
I don't think we can attribute a drop of 8 million to "Not being able to trade Pokemon." You could trade Pokemon between Gold and Silver and Red and Blue but it still had a drop of 8 million. But you could trade all the Pokemon. Diamond and Pearl had you be able to catch all of the Pokemon. Why did it not get close to Gold and Silver's sales?

Along comes DPPtHGSS generation and with sales of combined 32.41, it sets itself above the Ruby and Sapphire and Gold and Silver generations. It sold 30 million copies world wide. Now, take a second to think about this. Have you any idea of how hight that number is? Movies would kill to get that kind of an audience.
No, that is incorrect. You can not compare the sales of two games to the sales of one game and call it a success. The people who bought the Gold and Silver remakes could have all been people who bought Diamond and Pearl.
Comparing Red and Blue to Diamond and Pearl is comparing apples to apples. They are both the main installments of the Pokemon series. Just in different times and on different systems. I then ask, why is one not doing as well as another?

A sale is a customer. What I'm looking at is where did all the people go. Why are they not buying Diamond and Pearl. Why isn't the new generation filling in the gap.

It has nothing to do with the new Pokémon. It has everything to do with the quality of the game and metagame. Black and White are already attracting people who stopped playing the game with Gold and Silver.
First, people do not buy metagames. Consider this: If it was all about the metagame, then why did people love the card game so much? The metagames weren't even the same. Also, looking at review scores, I don't think there has been a big decline of quality.

Think about it: Why would someone buy Pokemon? What is the draw of Pokemon? Well, it must be the Pokemon themselves. I mean, they are the name of the game and the game and other merchandise is all based around them. So, if sales declines, and people were not as interest in Pokemon as they were before, the most logical answer would be they don't like the new Pokemon.

And you know nobody likes the new gen pokémon when they come out, but everyone buys the games and ends up with them in their teams.
Maybe here, but most of what I've see has people not warming up to them. Sales of Pokemon keep going down. People do not want to give these Pokemon a chase, or have and gave up. They are not leaving Pokemon. Pokemon is leaving them.

I mean, we have a group on facebook all about how the old Pokemon are the best. Take a look at this Facebook group.. Look at the 5th generation post. Most people are very upset with it. It's also interesting to mention that this group has more friends than the first actual Pokemon group. Not to mention we have a song dedicated to how Pokemon has gone astray. Has almost a million views BTW. It's not hard to find old fans who are disgruntled with new Pokemon.

So no, it is the Pokemon.

Oh and btw, Shakespeare was famous for copying ideas from other writers or just adapting old stories. Very few of his plays are actually original, if Shakespeare was actually just one man.

House was a popular show. It was based on Sherlock Holmes. Super Mario Bros takes a lot from Alice in Wonderland. Nothing is new under the sun.

Look I would *love* to look for that wildly coloured tarantula, but I've been searching for a blue sheep for nearly ten years. No luck. But once I track it down, I'll get right on that for you.

article-1061319-02C7816E00000578-145_468x286.jpg

I'm sorry, I just had to do it, ahahah.

I actually like the tarantula from what we can see of it so far.

(Well) Then

It's Lesson Time!
I said that because people were implying that it is Electric because it's yellow, not because of the translation.
It may be Electric, Poison, or Bug, who knows?. Plus the English name might not even show any relationship with the Pokemon's type

I don't even know why I bothered with the corrections, maybe because it was bothering me that much

The English names, as of right now, for any 5th gen Pokemon except Reshiram and Zekrom are irrelevant to the topic at hand. If the name says so, It may likely be as so, and if it IS so, then it will stay so even when the English version comes around, regardless if the English name says so or not. You catch that?

ShadowArcanine

Era of Thunder
You catch the fact that I didn't say it isn't electriv but people where saying that it weas because it was yellow catch that?

Plus this all started with a discussion about it being Bug or Poison

ShadowArcanine

Era of Thunder
You catch the fact that I didn't say it isn't electriv but people where saying that it weas because it was yellow catch that?

ShadowArcanine

Era of Thunder

TsengHyena

The new pokemon look awesome. I want the fossil-like Axehead Dinosaur one (it looks nothing like a mantis)

I could also use the awesome Sarcophagus pokemon if its Ghost/Rock. I hope it gets an evo or two.

It all lived upto my expectations so far.

TsengHyena

The new pokemon look awesome. I want the fossil-like Axehead Dinosaur one (it looks nothing like a mantis)

I could also use the awesome Sarcophagus pokemon if its Ghost/Rock. I hope it gets an evo or two.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
I want the Sugimori artwork to judge these ones. But something tells me they aren't gonna be out for a while. Is it.. like a big Japan show/mag that they came from? Cos the official site might add them soon?

Anyway, I love the one with the three battle with the three new pokemon.. Its the middle one. I love it. I love how they look alot more dealy and strong. Although many people might want to kill me for this... it kinda does add to the theory of that Pokemon is maturing... and not like... their turning to teenagers... but to a WIDER audience?

TsengHyena

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
This is a little off topic, but did anyone notice how in the videos Munna was floating in battle?

That thing with the axe looks a little like an armadillo on steroids, IMO.

D*N

Musical Star
This is a little off topic, but did anyone notice how in the videos Munna was floating in battle?

Since we saw munna it has been revealed that it's floating.
So we know that for a month!

D*N

Musical Star
And I must say-> the new pokemon are all growing to me.
First I thought there suck but it's better know

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
article-1061319-02C7816E00000578-145_468x286.jpg

I'm sorry, I just had to do it, ahahah.
I actually like the tarantula from what we can see of it so far.

To be honest, I'm surprised he hasn't seen that sheep before, or a differently colored sheep before. How else do you think they get the wool that color?!

Irl, I'll be honest, there probably is a blue, or yellow, or even some combination of both colors, present on a species of tarantula. I'm fairly certain that some sort of exotic tarantula, probably from the amazon, is blue, yellow, or both, naturally.
The idea of that coloration makes me think of the goliath tarantula (or something similar, name wise). It also makes me think of bird eating spiders/tarantulas.

I haven't seen that video, but as a part of my predictions, I speculated that Munna could float/levitate. Partially because it's, like Drowzee & Hypno, based on the mythical (not the real animal) creature, the Tapir. It's said to be a psychic being who floats/flies around, at night, and they steal/eat the dreams/nightmares of humans. There's even a digimon based off the being. Anyways, I pretty much figured it floated, levitated, whatever, partially, because it looks like a drifloon/drowzee hybrid. It looks like a balloon pig, or something.
Alternatively, it looks (somewhat) like a head crab.....
The axe creature, looks like an armadillo, kind off. It also looks like a certain dinasaur, a mantis, or even a dragon.

hitoshura0

I'm sorry I didn't get to this sooner. I did respond, but the website ate my post.

In Japan, it launched with just the game. That stuff came to the states because of how popular it was in Japan. Those things are an effect, not a cause.

The flaw in your logic is just that if something did well in Japan, you think it automatically means it'll hit stateside. Not true, as there are just certain things that wouldn't translate here that do in Japan. A modest example would be SMT 1 and 2 or some of the later entries in the Secret of Mana series SNES run. A better example would be H-games, which are "wildly" popular in Japan, yet would hardly be sold here in the US.

I don't think we can attribute a drop of 8 million to "Not being able to trade Pokemon." You could trade Pokemon between Gold and Silver and Red and Blue but it still had a drop of 8 million. But you could trade all the Pokemon. Diamond and Pearl had you be able to catch all of the Pokemon. Why did it not get close to Gold and Silver's sales?

You can't attribute that as a complete case, but there are very few things you can say are absolute reasons in any kind of business. One could say the fad ended by the time 3rd gen came out, or people who bought the original Game Boy didn't want to upgrade to the GBA. I know I didn't until one day I was very bored and went to Wal Mart to pick up an SP and saw Sapphire there and picked that up as the game to play. Whole lot of reasons, but not all of them are the one true cause.

No, that is incorrect. You can not compare the sales of two games to the sales of one game and call it a success. The people who bought the Gold and Silver remakes could have all been people who bought Diamond and Pearl.
Comparing Red and Blue to Diamond and Pearl is comparing apples to apples. They are both the main installments of the Pokemon series. Just in different times and on different systems. I then ask, why is one not doing as well as another?

Except that is what matters. At its heart, Gamefreak is a business, and the way you tell how successful something is how much money it makes. They don't care WHO buys it, just that it is bought. That is how the world works.

A sale is a customer. What I'm looking at is where did all the people go. Why are they not buying Diamond and Pearl. Why isn't the new generation filling in the gap.

If they are still making money like they are, with Pokemon stil making money, I mean HG and SS occupying spots 10 and 7 on CNBC's top 10 best selling games of 2010, you have sustained sales which is a wonderful thing. And it is June, and the games came out in March. And how long were DPPt at the tops of the charts when they were released? Pretty long if I remember correctly.

First, people do not buy metagames. Consider this: If it was all about the metagame, then why did people love the card game so much? The metagames weren't even the same. Also, looking at review scores, I don't think there has been a big decline of quality.

People loved the card game initially for the same reason people liked Pokemon at that time: it was popular. But people do care about the metagame of competitive things when you are dealing with sustaining success. Look at card game "rival" at the time, Magic. It had just gone through the metagame breaking Urza Block, fillied with broken combos and engines, including a card that was banned before it hit print! And what happened? Sales dropped heading into Masques block, which was significantly tamer to deal with Urza Blocks difficulties and didn't really recover until the metagame stabilized a few years later when either Invasion block hit or Ravinca block hit.

Think about it: Why would someone buy Pokemon? What is the draw of Pokemon? Well, it must be the Pokemon themselves. I mean, they are the name of the game and the game and other merchandise is all based around them. So, if sales declines, and people were not as interest in Pokemon as they were before, the most logical answer would be they don't like the new Pokemon.

Gameplay mechanics, "cool looking" cover, which the box legends/fully evolved starters tended to do, and word of mouth. How many times did you go to see a movie because your friends thought it was cool? Same principle.

Maybe here, but most of what I've see has people not warming up to them. Sales of Pokemon keep going down. People do not want to give these Pokemon a chase, or have and gave up. They are not leaving Pokemon. Pokemon is leaving them.

I mean, we have a group on facebook all about how the old Pokemon are the best. Take a look at this Facebook group.. Look at the 5th generation post. Most people are very upset with it. It's also interesting to mention that this group has more friends than the first actual Pokemon group. Not to mention we have a song dedicated to how Pokemon has gone astray. Has almost a million views BTW. It's not hard to find old fans who are disgruntled with new Pokemon.

Or it's just those people in particular. As there are plenty who are enjoying the new pokemon. I mean we have the Mudkip meme, Smugleaf is starting to catch on the interwebs, and DA is filled with fan-art from all the generations. You can make the case on design for either side and it'll be full of opinions due to the fact design is a lot like art: it appeals to different people differently. You may hate the design of Chiramii or the gothlolimon, but I like them. Opinions.

So no, it is the Pokemon.
House was a popular show. It was based on Sherlock Holmes. Super Mario Bros takes a lot from Alice in Wonderland. Nothing is new under the sun.

Nope, it's the people's preference like everything else in this world. Besides, the base means nothing, it's the quality of the show/franchise that matters.

Bardische

Elegance.

We already saw it floating like, weeks ago. Where have you been?

And I must say, it's like hammerhead, only it got the pokemon treatment and became axehead. Where's pyramid head when you need him.

It's actually funny. The ugliest ones in pokemon usually end up in everyone's teams.

PKMN Trainer Manson

People don't think Dentula is Electric-type because it's yellow (though that helps); they think it's Electric-type because its name is a portmanteau of "denki", or "electric", and tarantula.

Last edited:

Uberiffic

Mence > Garchomp
does anything else think that the thing with all the red peices in the middle of the 3 vs. 3 is some kind of probopass evo? mayby something where it swaps defense for offense.

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
I haven't seen that video, but as a part of my predictions, I speculated that Munna could float/levitate. Partially because it's, like Drowzee & Hypno, based on the mythical (not the real animal) creature, the Tapir. It's said to be a psychic being who floats/flies around, at night, and they steal/eat the dreams/nightmares of humans. There's even a digimon based off the being. Anyways, I pretty much figured it floated, levitated, whatever, partially, because it looks like a drifloon/drowzee hybrid. It looks like a balloon pig, or something.
Alternatively, it looks (somewhat) like a head crab.....
The axe creature, looks like an armadillo, kind off. It also looks like a certain dinasaur, a mantis, or even a dragon.

The tapir is a real animal native to South America and Southeast Asia. What you're thinking is the baku, the dream eating creature in Japanese folklore that is said to resemble a pig or a tapir.

Edit: Oh, sorry, I must've missed the clarification in parentesis. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.