• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBK

Renegade Trainer
In all honesty, I hope they don't change the names. I kinda like Zoroark and Zorua (although they will always be Big Z and Little Z to me :p).

@conflict7: If you want to know where the 5th gen discussion group is, check the sig.
|
|
\/

DBK

Renegade Trainer
@conflict7: No prob :)

@superkal: [off topic]I also would like to see both characters join Ash's group. It would be a nice change. The possibility of that happening though is debatable. But if they are only going to use one of the characters, let it be the male this time. The female could be the male's rival and show up every now and then. And the main rival would be Ash's rival for the new region. That is what I want to see.[/off topic]

IF there was a change in there names, it would be to something like Zolark and Zola. They normally would replace the ru/ro with l, like they did with Dialga/Palkia (Diaruga/Parukia), right? I hope not, though. If anything, change them to Little Z and Big Z. :)

Kreis

Still Dirrty
IF there was a change in there names, it would be to something like Zolark and Zola. They normally would replace the ru/ro with l, like they did with Dialga/Palkia (Diaruga/Parukia), right? I hope not, though. If anything, change them to Little Z and Big Z. :)

Are there any other examples that can possible serve as an indication as to why they would replace "ru" or "ro" with "L?"

You don't really have much support because names can completely change and speculating for them is a bit ridiculous if not impossible.

~Dragon_Master~

The Next Legend
Are there any other examples that can possible serve as an indication as to why they would replace "ru" or "ro" with "L?"

You don't really have much support because names can completely change and speculating for them is a bit ridiculous if not impossible.

Well, Rukario was changed to Lucario, and Rioru to Riolu.

yaminokame

やみのかめ
Isn't everyone just looking a bit too much into the names thing :/ Every example of a "change" that I've seen people bring up so far, from an official standpoint, were never changed at all.
The copyrighted romaji names for Dialga, Palkia, Riolu, Lucario are all registered as: Dialga, Palkia, Riolu, Lucario. Now when we look at Zorua/Zoroark, who have now been added to the copyright database list, they are Zorua and Zoroark...
As many have said before, it's going to be impossible to tell if they are going to completely change a name or not... but the examples people have given so far of "names that were close but changed an 'r' to an 'l' or a 'k' to a 'c' when brought to English"... seem to have been originally registered as the name that people are claiming it was "changed" to. I would think that this supports the idea of the name/spelling not changing if indeed they decide to keep the names similar to their Japanese counterparts... Just thought I'd throw that out there :p

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
^That would be interesting.

Not so likely, seeing as Max is based off Wally, not Brendan... but w/e.

What? How is Max based on Wally? Just because he befriened a Ralts in one episode? Other than that, I don't see how they have anything at all in common.

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Isn't everyone just looking a bit too much into the names thing :/ Every example of a "change" that I've seen people bring up so far, from an official standpoint, were never changed at all.
The copyrighted romaji names for Dialga, Palkia, Riolu, Lucario are all registered as: Dialga, Palkia, Riolu, Lucario. Now when we look at Zorua/Zoroark, who have now been added to the copyright database list, they are Zorua and Zoroark...
As many have said before, it's going to be impossible to tell if they are going to completely change a name or not... but the examples people have given so far of "names that were close but changed an 'r' to an 'l' or a 'k' to a 'c' when brought to English"... seem to have been originally registered as the name that people are claiming it was "changed" to. I would think that this supports the idea of the name/spelling not changing if indeed they decide to keep the names similar to their Japanese counterparts... Just thought I'd throw that out there :p
Not to mention Zolua and Zolark destroy the whole meaning of the Zoro part ;)

Nebbio

NINJA!
Why is everyone so bothered about the gender of the new pokemon?

Nebbio

NINJA!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO

You don't know which fandom you are in, do you?

This fandom's discussions are not supposed to make sense, just like Pokémon franchise itself.

Eve

Hey.
Agreed. Pokemon in a sense doesn't make sense. That's just how it is.

Eve

Hey.
Agreed. Pokemon in a sense doesn't make sense. That's just how it is.

nekromedia

unwavering emotions
Or the name won't be the same at all. Seriously, look at Squirtle. It's name used to be Zenigame. I'd stop discussing it, because you can't make any claims on how the name will be at all until it happens.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Or the name won't be the same at all. Seriously, look at Squirtle. It's name used to be Zenigame. I'd stop discussing it, because you can't make any claims on how the name will be at all until it happens.

You know how boring this forums would be without Wild Mass Guessing?

And yeah, according to Bulbapedia Zenigame just means "pond turtle". But Zoroark, on the other hand, is not simply direct Japanese word of something, right?

Seb L

so more than a month ago and no more new pokemons introduced?
sure lazy artists Electronic Arts have lol...

Eve

Hey.
That or they are very secretive of it. You never know, they could be ready to release the jp version, but want to keep people in suspense. Although that is very unlikely.

Eve

Hey.
That or they are very secretive of it. You never know, they could be ready to release the jp version, but want to keep people in suspense. Although that is very unlikely.

superkal388

Kanto SuperTrainer
uhh electronic arts??? umm no... pokemon is created by gamefreak, not EA... wow >.> anyways the reason theres been so little info is because of all the leakage that happened during the revealing months of HG/SS so this time gamefreak is keeping a very tight lid on things... >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.