• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Although it's hard to judge them from these low-quality, pixely sprites, I simply adore the Jynx-lookalike.

Ryanide

I JUST LOEV WALLs!1
Anubis, Egyptian god of the underworld

Lucario shares the head of a jackal and the humanoid body, and you would be hard pressed to make the case that it's sheer coincidence that Lucario's head adornments just happen to resemble the Egyptian headdress.

Lucario may not be 100% Egyptian in origin, but there's no way it doesn't have some basis in Anubis.

People think Lucario is a jackal because it has a narrow snout and the dreadlocks make people think of egyptian headdress. I actually believe Lucario is a stylised wolf, which from a japanese design perspective would make much more sense due to the fact that wolves are often portrayed as fighters or warriors, especially in kemono (a style of anthropomorphism popular in the anime community, but dates back to much earlier periods in art and design)

The 'headdress' everyone seems to think is egyptian actually resembles the tied-off ends of a blindfold that hang back behind a person's head after the blindfold has been tied on, this also accounts for the black stripe across Lucario's eyes.

Does Lucario have any egyptian markings on him? There's also nothing anubis-like about his colouring. Anubis had nothing to do with 'aura' or fighting spirit either. I think this perception of Lucario as Anubis is something that westerners identify with, since many people don't get the real inspiration behind his design coming from martial arts. I admit I didn't know that boxing originated in Egypt, but I don't think that's the basis of his design.

Last edited:

BCVM22

And of course it's 100% impossible that it could draw from both origins.

Nothing Anubis-like about its coloring? Is there an Egyptian god color key somewhere?

Last edited:

Lunafreya Nox Fleuret

Don't look here.
Because it has no characteristicts that point otherwise. And its large features make it almost unlikely for it to evolve. I mean what, It grows more arms? opens up into a mummy.? I see no point in trying to call out a evolution for the sarcophocus.

And i just realized that chirami is a furby without the deranged eyes and the beak.

Not everything you say is true. How about we just wait and find out heh?

Grei

not the color

Precisely.

How can you be sure its the final form?

We can't be sure it's a basic, 1st Stage, 2nd Stage, or Baby form yet. We can guess at which one it is but that doesn't make our guesses true.

It'd only be the "final form" because, as a 4-legged spider, it has resemblance to Ariados, which is already a 1st-Stage. Unless it's a Spinarak split-evo, that'd make it the fully-evolved form of Spinarak, after Ariados.

I personally think Ariados and Denchura related, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset if they weren't.

Ryanide, it's universally accepted that Lucario has the characteristics of a jackal. Boxing is Egyptian in roots. Lucario has some sort of connection with Egypt. Nobody is saying it doesn't gain characteristics from Japanese martial arts. We're just saying there's some Egypt thrown in there.

ArceusBlitz

Hydreigon FTW!!!!!!!
Im gonna make my opinions when the new pokemon actually have their Sugimori art released. Its hard to make decisions when three of them are facing the other way and you cant see their faces. Triple battles. WTF? I dont even think theyll have enough room to fit three HP bars on the screen.

Ryanide

I JUST LOEV WALLs!1
And of course it's 100% impossible that it could draw from both origins.

Nothing Anubis-like about its coloring? Is there an Egyptian god color key somewhere?

Don't act coy now. You're trying to sidestep the main point. I expected better from you.

It's possible that there may have been some inspiration from the egyptian design, but I find it quite implausible that it can be considered the main focus of Lucario's design. People always say "Oh Lucario is meant to be based on Anubis", but this is based only on appearance from a western-viewed perspective. The actual elements of Lucario's design (Chi power, martial arts, fighting spirit) has nothing to do with Anubis or Egypt.

And also, Anubis/Anpu is traditionally black all over with gold and blue jewellery or a white kilt. Seth is another jackal-like god who resembles anubis, but has white fur. These Egyptian jackal gods also have distinctive eye markings and other things not featured in Lucario's design.

So don't pretend like you don't know how Anubis is meant to be coloured solely for the sake of argument, because everybody and their dog knows about Anubis's colour code.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Im going to take a wild guess and say that the two moles types are Dark and Dark/Steel. Its been bugging me that I havent seen those mentioned.

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
Don't act coy now. You're trying to sidestep the main point. I expected better from you.
Your first mistake. I definitely see your points, and I'm sure that the foundation of Lucario's initial design was the form of martial arts to which you referred, but without talking to whomever designed it, you can't prove that Anubis didn't influence it in any way.

As for the moles, I'd be thoroughly surprised if they weren't primarily ground-type. A secondary type would probably be steel because of the various bits of metal glued to the sprite.

Rock fire for the unconfirmed pokenmon in the middle anyone?

Because it has red rocks? While we're at it can Feraligatr be fire, too?

Last edited:

Cool_Trainer_Tyrone

Only Train The Best
Im gunna go ghost/water for the one on the left,rock or steel mixed for the middle and ,possible dark for the last one, for the record just thought that one of the rights head sort of looked like miltank,just my opinon.

BCVM22

It's possible that there may have been some inspiration from the egyptian design

Which is all I'm saying - that there's some Anubis mixed into Lucario's breed. I never at all disputed that you were right about the eastern elements you say are incorporated into the design.

The actual elements of Lucario's design (Chi power, martial arts, fighting spirit) has nothing to do with Anubis or Egypt.

To be fair, there's none of that in the visual aspect of Lucario; if you knew nothing about Lucario and saw the design, would your first thought realy be "chi power" or "aura"? The fighting aspects, maybe.

And also, Anubis/Anpu is traditionally black all over with gold and blue jewellery or a white kilt.

Wait a second. Black, blue and gold and your argument is that there's zero Anubis resemblance?

To reiterate, there's nothing at all implausible about anything you've said. The only case I'm making is that Lucario has Egyptian elements to it.

Gaga

Last Shiny (RNG)
Im going to take a wild guess and say that the two moles types are Dark and Dark/Steel. Its been bugging me that I havent seen those mentioned.

Why would a mole, a Pokemon that digs into the ground not be a Ground type?

And yes, it has been mentioned before. Almost everyone who has said anything agrees that the first evolution is probably Ground type, and the second is Ground/Steel.

Why would something that digs into the ground be weak against ground? Makes no sense. The types you propose are impossible.

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
As for the moles, I'd be thoroughly surprised if they weren't primarily ground-type. A secondary type would probably be steel because of the various bits of metal glued to the sprite.

I thought about that also... however moles are naturally nocturnal creatures, and since the mole we have already is ground and we already have a dark/ground type in Meguroko- I came to the conclusion they are going for the more traditional looking and behavior based mole.

Status
Not open for further replies.