• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanide

I JUST LOEV WALLs!1
delete feature is awfully fickle, so I'll just use this post to say something else.

The only reason people think Lucario is a jackal is because he's slender and somewhat resembles Anubis. It's not that people think he's based on Anubis because he's a jackal, but rather the other way around. People think he's a jackal because he looks somewhat Anubis-like and therefore the first thing that pops to mind is 'jackal'.

If you removed his dreadlocks, he would resemble a canine of unknown species. I'm pretty sure he was meant to be a dog or wolf from the start, but not specifically a jackal. It's also partly the fault of the designers since they made his snout quite narrow too.

Anyway, back on topic. It seems that other than Weavile, pokemon I like always end up having poor stats, so...I'm really hoping Desukaan doesn't end up being a throwaway pokemon.

I'm also thinking it might be fun to have a team consisting of Desukaan, Claydol, Bronzong, Gear, Magnezone and one other featureless "inanimate object" pokemon.

Last edited:

Brave Birdy

I mean, it's not like they've made every animal into a Pokemon yet so I don't know why they're giving us this random crap.

The thing is, pokemon hasn't always been about remaking animals into mythical creatures. Even since the first generation, they've remade things other than animals into pokemon. Some examples of this being Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Machop, Machoke, Machamp, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victorybell, Geodude, Graveler, Golem, Magnemite, Magneton, Grimer, Muk, Ghastly, Haunter, Gengar, Voltorb, Electrode, Exeggcute, Exeggutor, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Koffing, Weezing, Chancey, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Porygon, and Snorlax. Giving us a total of 36 of the original pokemon, in other words, about 24%, that constitute as "random crap."

I don't see how goth loli is any different then mr. mime and jynx or how gear is any different than magnemite.

rocky505

I hope the rock one with crystals isn't fire/rock since that typing sucks so bad with like 2 4x weaknesses. *Looks at Magcargo and laughs at how crappy it is*

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Gaga loses just for being a Lady Gaga fan. It doesn't help his/her/it's logic fails.

End of discussion.

I wish these forums had a like button.

Another thing. Why would Lucario be based on a jackal?

Is that a serious question? To provide diversity in the Pokemon world?

It doesn't make sense. Jackals are not really very well known in japanese culture

Are chinchillas well known in Japanese culture?
Is Yin/Yang well known in Japanese culture? (It is from China)
Are the behemoth, leviathan, and ziz well known in Japanese culture?
Are fire salamanders (a traditionally Mediterranean/Greek myth) well known in Japanese culture?
What about all the European styled dragons?

and they don't represent martial arts (wheras wolves do).

Wolves= Martial Arts in Japan? Step over TMNT. Your rivals TMNW are trying to steal the spotlight.

There have been many martial arts wolves in anime with blue fur as well.

Yes because the anime wolves with blue fur that inspire furries everywhere is what Pokemon creators wanted to base Lucario off of.

It makes much more sense for Lucario to be based off a wolf as opposed to a jackal.

Not really :/ Bulbapedia on the origin of Lucario's name:
Lucario's name possibly derives from part of a Japanese spelling of oracle or orichalcum in reverse, reflecting its mythical design, its ability to see into the supernatural, and its Steel-type. It may also refer to Cairo, Egypt. The word pharaoh may also be involved.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lucario_(Pokémon)

toyou321

Fire-Type Trainer
I'm digging *I couldn't help it* :D the mole pokemon. Of all the pokemon released so far it is my favorite followed by Shimama.

I think that the confusion over Lucario is interesting and see both sides of the argument. I think it does have anubis coloring and shape, but I do think that it might just be a way westerners are looking at it. Plus the dread locks take away from the anubis-like aspect of the pokemon. Either way it would be cool if we got some eygtian pokemon I could see a syphnx pokemon being really cool.

The real reason I wanted to post is because the new unnamed green pokemon is bothering me. It looks a little like budew, cherim, and wormadam. Wormadam has a similar floating shape. Budew has the seed like round face like the new one and cherim... I don't know the roundness of the face just makes me think of them when I look at this pokemon. I also think that the budew/roselia/roserade line could possible split at budew kind of like ralts/kirlia then gardevior/gallade. Does anyone else see these similarities? or am I just seeing things?

Is Yin/Yang well known in Japanese culture? (It is from China)

Ehhh lol of course, being from China is what makes it known in Japan.

I mean, all Japanese kanji are the same used in Chinese. You can't get any more culturally related than that.

PKMN Trainer Manson

Actually, that's where you're wrong. Ask almost anyone who has seen a picture of Anubis before. "What colour is Anubis?"

I can guarantee that most people will respond by saying that Anubis is black. It's one of the diety's most defining features.

Jackals are usually a gold kind of colour. Anubis is unusual because he's jet black, which is a fairly rare occurrance in natural jackals. This is why Anubis stands out.

Another thing. Why would Lucario be based on a jackal? It doesn't make sense. Jackals are not really very well known in japanese culture and they don't represent martial arts (wheras wolves do). There have been many martial arts wolves in anime with blue fur as well. It makes much more sense for Lucario to be based off a wolf as opposed to a jackal.

How do you expect the average person to know exactly what color jackals are normally? Once again, not something I would say is "common knowledge", and assuming it is is presumptuous. Simply because you know Anubis is unusal because his fur is colored black doesn't mean everyone knows this is an unusual feature. Also, I'd argue Lucario's primary color is black as well as blue, but the blue is definitely more prominent either way, so there's no point.

Also, I can't believe you're seriously arguing Lucario doesn't look like a jackal moreso than a wolf, at the very least. I don't like to think that's what it is for the same reasons as you (why a jackal that uses chi? that doesn't make any sense together) but it is what it is. On the same token, why would a wolf be using something like fighting spirit? Doesn't make much sense either, albeit a wolf is a more familar figure than a jackal.

(and let me just say, I have never ever ever ever EVER seen a blue wolf in an anime... albeit I don't watch much anime, but I think if its as common an archetype as you make it sound, it should be more well known... maybe this is more "common knowledge" only you seem to know off the top of your head though)

Either way, I don't want to keep arguing this since it is oh-so off topic, so get your last word in like I know you want to and let's be done with it.

Last edited:

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
The thing is, pokemon hasn't always been about remaking animals into mythical creatures. Even since the first generation, they've remade things other than animals into pokemon. Some examples of this being Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Bellsprout, Weepinbell, Victorybell, Exeggcute, Exeggutor.
I don't think Pokemon based off of plants/vegetation should be considered random. Oddish is some sort of weed/raddish thing, Gloom/Vileplume are based off the Rafflesia flower [Vileplume's Japanese name is even a corruption of it], the Bellsprout line is based off of flowers/pitcher plants, and Exeggcute and Exeggutor are eggs and a coconut tree respectively.

I don't know what to distinguish this 'gothic lolita' thing as. I have no problem with random Pokemon what-so-ever. It's just that peacocks and flamingos are some of my favourite animals around and they have yet to be turned into Pokemon despite the fact that we are entering the 5th Generation. And GameFreak for some reason feels the need to make multiple pig, monkey, turtle, snake, etc. Pokemon instead of using the animals that haven't been turned into Pokemon yet. For all we know there could be Pokemon included in Black and White based off peacocks and such that just haven't been revealed yet. But if that turns out not to be the case, then random things like this 'gothic lolita' creature are just a waste of space, personally.

hitoshura0

I don't think Pokemon based off of plants/vegetation should be considered random. Oddish is some sort of weed/raddish thing, Gloom/Vileplume are based off the Rafflesia flower [Vileplume's Japanese name is even a corruption of it], the Bellsprout line is based off of flowers/pitcher plants, and Exeggcute and Exeggutor are eggs and a coconut tree respectively.

I don't know what to distinguish this 'gothic lolita' thing as. I have no problem with random Pokemon what-so-ever. It's just that peacocks and flamingos are some of my favourite animals around and they have yet to be turned into Pokemon despite the fact that we are entering the 5th Generation. And GameFreak for some reason feels the need to make multiple pig, monkey, turtle, snake, etc. Pokemon instead of using the animals that haven't been turned into Pokemon yet. For all we know there could be Pokemon included in Black and White based off peacocks and such that just haven't been revealed yet. But if that turns out not to be the case, then random things like this 'gothic lolita' creature are just a waste of space, personally.

So basically its "Wah, they haven't made my favorite animal a Pokemon yet, so I'll ***** and moan about one of the 15 or so abstract designs we get each generation". As you put it, they maybe in it, they may not. Still doesn't excuse you whining about it.

Brave Birdy

Well if that's the case, I think it would be appropriate to wait a bit longer to start complaining. As you said, for all we know, there could be peacock and flamingo pokemon that has yet to be revealed. Also, bear in mind that pokemon is made for a large group of people, not just you, so yes, there will be some pokemon that you aren't a fan of, but they're not a "waste of space" because they can be another person's favorite.

My guesses on the new releases are:

Nameless pkmn
right - Normal/Dark (just for the fact that this type combo is still inexistent)

middle - Rock (doesn't look like anything else but rock to me, combining it with fire or ground would truly suck due to all the weaknesses)

left - Normal/Ghost (IDK it definitely looks ghostly, but something just tells me "normal", that's my opinion, also it would have immunity to both its types, pretty cool, but we'll see..)

Named ones
Moguryu (baby mole pkmn) - Normal/Ground? (just being a mere mortal speculator)

Doryuuzu (Mole pkmn) - Ground/Steel (seems reasonable, and currently only steelix has that typing, enough time has passed for another pokemon to get it)

Ononokusu (Green pkmn)- Bug/Dragon (I can't really call it a mantis, it lacks the insect's characteristic appendages that give it the "praying" look, but it sure looks menacing, like it'll sting, bite or pinch if you touch it lol, and dragon? well, to me it also has a dragonesque appearance, flygon didn't have that typing even though it's based on the lacewing so maybe this guy will have it. Of the 8 new pokes, I like this one the most)

Desukan (Sarcophagus pkmn) - Ghost/Rock (if it's supposed to follow claydol's and bronzong's steps, it should be Psychic/Rock, but I also incline my opinion towards it being Ghost/Rock)

Denchura (Spider pkmn) - Bug/Electric (looks like the most obvious one to me besides the rocky nameless one)

Will be glad to read constructive criticism :)

Josiah

is your favorite
If Gamefreak used only famous animals, they would actually run out of ideas. They use obscure animals, myths, objects, and other concepts to fill in the gaps so they can save other animal designs for later.

Besides, there's thousands of turtles and snakes, and many species of pig and monkey. It really isn't unrealistic or unoriginal to use similar animals on multiple occasions, because real life is full of similar species.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Ehhh lol of course, being from China is what makes it known in Japan.

But my point is that Yin/Yang are more culturally relevant to China. That didn't stop the creators from making Yin and Yang pokemon though.

I mean, all Japanese kanji are the same used in Chinese. You can't get any more culturally related than that.

Not talking about the kanji. Just about Yin/Yang

Alkaide

Scary Faerie♥
The three on three is pretty gay.

Oh really? Because I think three on three is pretty straight.

Anyway, I don't really like the sound of three on three, but who knows, it might actually be pretty cool.

As far as the Pokemon, I don't like the yellow one. It looks like it's too... "strong", is that the word? I don't have anything against its design, but it's just the type of Pokemon that every seems to like because it looks intimidating and whatnot, and those just aren't really my type of Pokemon. Maybe it's just me, but it kind of reminds me of a Yugioh card. Like a yellow version of ... oh god, Slipher the Red Dragon? I haven't watched Yugioh in such a long time, but I think that's what it's called, that Egyptian god card.

From what I can see, I really think I'll like the mole's design. Can't say much about the little one, but I kind of like the bigger one. Of course, that's only based on what I think I'm seeing, since the sprite is bad quality and whatnot.

I hate spiders, so I doubt I'll use the tarantula. So I won't bother commenting on it. And although we don't have the full view of the sarcophagus, it also reminds me of a Yugioh card... I just continue to imagine a sarcophagus.... with a face. Just like how Hihidaruma has this.... face. That doesn't make sense because it's so happy. But Hihidaruma pulls it off. I guess I can't say anything until we see the front of it, though.

I don't like the rock thing. But it might grow on me. The goth one looks pretty cool, but I just wish it wasn't so human-like. But I don't know... depending on how/if it evolves, I might really like this Pokemon. It's pretty interesting. And the green one is really interesting, so much so that I can't decide if I like it or not. Haha.

Well that’s my tuppence worth (think you say 5 cents in the states ;) )

Two cents, actually, haha. :)

Last edited:

Persian22

The only waste of space is that little dream-pig pokemon they reveiled earlier, that probably-pre-evo of drowzee... (i hope it is, two dream sucker pokemon really isn't nessesairy) I also dislike that floating unnamed green/white teddybear thing, really ugly if you ask me and much too "baby cute" too.
And what on earth is that lady gaga pokemon thing?

The most FAMOUS missing animals are still missing in the list of pokemon, the woodpecker and the centipede, and please don't start about giratina because legendary pokemon don't count and giratina is EVERYTHING exept a centipede.

Also ants, peacocks, flamingo's and anteaters would be a welcome addition!

The pokemon I really LOVE already are that iron mole, the egyptian mummy coffin pokemon and the evolution (probably) of ariados! (i wished for anoter spider pokemon and I got it!)

Persian22

I hope I did, however, Mewtwo isn't that bad, the first and second generation legendaries were cool, the others sucked mayor, while the normal pokemon from the 3rth and 4th generation were really awsome, I only have problems with the legendaries of that generations.

I hope the legendaries from this generation don't suck like the last two generations, but they probably will as I HATE necrom and what is that other thing called again? Black and white dragons if you ask me, bleh! 4 or 5 legendaries is ENOUGH, if not they aren't so legendary anymore.

About that mummy coffin, I think it would be ghost / ground (sand) a cool combination!

Why all people think that dragon thingie looks like a mantis??? The mantis has two scythe like arms, that thing doesn't seem to have those!

And I really adore the 3 on 3 fights! SOOOO awsome!! More pokemon in battle = more fun! Really like what they have done with this! If they could only delete that dream pig thing and the teddybear from space and lady gagamon...

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
the others sucked mayor
Yes, the legendaries definitely did suck mayors.

I hope the legendaries from this generation don't suck like the last two generations, but they probably will as I HATE necrom
Necrom? Are you just making up names to strengthen your case now?

The only waste of space is that little dream-pig pokemon they reveiled earlier, that probably-pre-evo of drowzee... (i hope it is, two dream sucker pokemon really isn't nessesairy)
The only resemblence it shares with Drowzee and Hypno is a trunk-like feature and the fact that they eat dreams. Munna floats, is pink and has floral patterns on it. Drowzee walks and is yellow and brown. It makes very little sense to have Munna evolve into Drowzee solely on the basis that they eat dreams and both have a trunk.

Anyways, I'm curious to know, how come people are calling the green floaty thingy a teddy bear? I'm not too sure how you see it, because to me it just looks like a ghostly skeleton with a layer of green stuff surrounding it.

Edddwin

Ononokusu is definitely not a mantis. To me it looks like some sort of reptile, therefor I don't think it will be bug-type.

It has that dark tyranitar vibe all over it. And then that double sided axe on its head. I think there's a possibility it will be dark/steel.

Anyway he's definitely my favorite among the new batch of pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.