• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confirmed Pokemon Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The legendary trainer

legendary trainer
But if it is a grass/dark then the water one could be water/fighting and the fire one could be fire/psychic so they can counter each other pe rfectly giving none of the rivals any advantage.

That's why you catch other Pokemon..... However, I can imagine the fire type being poison also, the water also being ice, and we will have to see the grass's evolve form to judge weather or not he has another type or not but as of right now he looks pure grass. But the rival will always have a counter for your starter, and as I have stated before you catch other Pokemon to re-counter his.

Grei

not the color
But if it is a grass/dark then the water one could be water/fighting and the fire one could be fire/psychic so they can counter each other perfectly giving none of the rivals any advantage.

Actually, since Psychic cannot hit Dark (it's ineffective against it) the one with the Dark-type Starter would have an advantage.

Dspeight

Actually, since Psychic cannot hit Dark (it's ineffective against it) the one with the Dark-type Starter would have an advantage.

But in that scenario you would use a fire move, I mean you wouldn't willingly use a fighting move on a psychic type would you?

This "advantage" has no relevance, as the Psychic-type pokémon could just use its primary STAB to hit the Dark-type starter.

Besides, the only starter cycle with some kind of balance both-ways is DPPt's, and even then Infernape shits on the face of the other two as you cannot really match 108 Base Speed with two 120 BP STAB, super effective moves. Grass/Dark <-> Fire/Psychic <-> Water/Fighting is perfectly fine.

EDIT -- lol how come "shits" isn't censored but "****" is

hitoshura0

But why would the Fire/Psychic use Psychic attacks on the Grass/Dark when it has perfectly good STAB, SE Fire moves to throw against it. As a reverse wheel it works fine in tandem with the GFW wheel for what people want. Will it happen? Probably not though. Time will tell, however.

EDIT: @Mario with Lasers: Science fiction more than likely.

Dspeight

Which is why Pokemon don't only learn attacks that are all the same type as them, or am I not correct?

But STAB gives a significant power boost to moves ensuring OHKO's rather than 2HKO's.

LudaChris78

Hello guys, I've been following serebii for a long time, but have decided to make a forum today.

I actually think the water starter will be water/fighting. I really don't hope the grass starter is grass/poison...I guess I'm one of those who hope it will be grass/dragon, but I'm not sure if GF will make one of the starters part dragon type. I think pokabu will be either fire/dark or fire/psychic.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
This "advantage" has no relevance, as the Psychic-type pokémon could just use its primary STAB to hit the Dark-type starter.

Besides, the only starter cycle with some kind of balance both-ways is DPPt's, and even then Infernape shits on the face of the other two as you cannot really match 108 Base Speed with two 120 BP STAB, super effective moves. Grass/Dark <-> Fire/Psychic <-> Water/Fighting is perfectly fine.

EDIT -- lol how come "shits" isn't censored but "****" is

I still don't get why people want that triangle so badly, or why they think that it will be a definite possibility.

hitoshura0

I still don't get why people want that triangle so badly, or why they think that it will be a definite possibility.

The same reason they want Dark/Psychic/Fighting starters: the people are, when taken collectively, dumb and have no idea how things actually work.

Dspeight

We want that triangle because it would give complete fairness to the starters for the first time.

LudaChris78

I would like the double triangle just because it makes things interesting. In D/P even though infernape does dominate, if torterra or empoleon somehow get a move off first (trick room, quick claw, scarfs, etc.) then it's over. I just like how each one can have an advantage over the other ones

But maybe you're talking about that specific triangle (fight, dark, psychic), which, I guess you could see these secondary types in the starters. I at least could see pokabu being fire/dark or fire/psychic, and lil ol sea otter being water/fight, but I can't really see my little grass buddy being much else besides maybe grass/dark.

LudaChris78

I would like the double triangle just because it makes things interesting. In D/P even though infernape does dominate, if torterra or empoleon somehow get a move off first (trick room, quick claw, scarfs, etc.) then it's over. I just like how each one can have an advantage over the other ones

But maybe you're talking about that specific triangle (fight, dark, psychic), which, I guess you could see these secondary types in the starters. I at least could see pokabu being fire/dark or fire/psychic, and lil ol sea otter being water/fight, but I can't really see my little grass buddy being much else besides maybe grass/dark.

Last edited:

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
We want that triangle because it would give complete fairness to the starters for the first time.

What about 4th Gen?

And why do the starters need fairness? They are supposed to be strong against one and weak against another. That's what it's all about.

I just don't think Gamefreak would just so happen to make a starter set with two triangles, each going a different direction in accordance with the starters. Hell, most of the time, Water Pokemon can learn Ice attacks, so they can have an advantage over the Grass starter if they can attack fast enough.

I still don't see how any of the starter's can relate to any secondary type (except for Mijumaru's evo, which does kind of look like it's part Fighting, but then again, it still isn't known).

Ken Vanguine

Epic Trainer
i think the water/fighting, fire/psychic, and grass/dark would be pretty wonderful if the fire starter was not a freakin pig!
i mean, we already have a psychic pig. why would they make another one? and how dumb would a fire breathing psychic pig be. very dumb. so i just dont think that will happen. fire and psychic are just two types that i dont think will ever mesh.

Ken Vanguine

Epic Trainer
i think the water/fighting, fire/psychic, and grass/dark would be pretty wonderful if the fire starter was not a freakin pig!
i mean, we already have a psychic pig. why would they make another one? and how dumb would a fire breathing psychic pig be. very dumb. so i just dont think that will happen. fire and psychic are just two types that i dont think will ever mesh.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids

We have plenty of Bug/Flying types based off of butterflies, moths, and bees.

I still don't think the secondary types should be Psychic/Dark/Fighting, though, so I agree on that note.

Grei

not the color

We have Infernape and Hihidaruma which are both primate in basis, and both Fire-types.

Also, ever heard of pyrokinesis?

Dspeight

What about 4th Gen?

And why do the starters need fairness? They are supposed to be strong against one and weak against another. That's what it's all about.

I just don't think Gamefreak would just so happen to make a starter set with two triangles, each going a different direction in accordance with the starters. Hell, most of the time, Water Pokemon can learn Ice attacks, so they can have an advantage over the Grass starter if they can attack fast enough.

I still don't see how any of the starter's can relate to any secondary type (except for Mijumaru's evo, which does kind of look like it's part Fighting, but then again, it still isn't known).

But they don't get STAB on those ice attacks so are at a disadvatage, Blastoise cant beat venusaur in one with ice beam orblizzard (at the same level) but venusaur can KO balstoise in one with most of the powerful grass moves.
Also grass snake's evo does look like a dark type, and stranger types have happened like Gyarados's water/flying type so pokabu could be psychic.

yeah, yeah, whateva. i can care less about that fire breathing porkchop or that sad clown otter. the only way my bubble is gonna be burst is if my little grass starter dosnt turn out to be at least a little dragon-like.

I would very much like to inflict pain on you, sir.

Anywho, I don't see why there are doubters as to Pokabu's potential as a Fire/Dark type. It has black on it... Not that that proves a thing, but it doesn't disprove anything, either.
Tsutaja's lack of strong arms and legs may point to a reliance on Psychic abilities, no? Plus it has a cape. It's all very Asian-mystical, or even Western wizard. Ha.

Only problem with the Fire/Dark and Grass/Psy combos are the weaknesses... But hey, that's didn't stop anyone in the 3rd gen (Swampert's Water/Ground on Blaziken). Or even the 1st gen, for that matter (Charizard's Fire/Flying on Venusaur).

Eh. Pokabu would make an excellent Fire/Fighting type, too. I know that the thought of yet another Fire/Fighting starter Pokemon upsets the balance of the very fabric of the unverse, but it's a cool combo, and I didn't particularly like Blaziken and Infernape. 3rd time's the charm, no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.