• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Confused about Ocarina of Time

Jagged

Now, like everyone else who has played many of the games, I am a fan of Ocarina of Time. It had brilliant landscapes, killer monster designs and a well thought out story. However, the one thing that confuses me the most WAS the story, in particular the part about the Spiritual Stones.

Ok, so we know that the main aim for Zelda and Link to do is to protect the Triforce from Ganondorf. However, they said that in order to do that, they need the Spiritual Stones. First off, don't the Spiritual Stones OPEN the Door of Time to GET to the Triforce? That's basically the same as "Hey Ganon. Yeah, we went through the trouble of getting the Stones for you so in you go and take the Triforce". And secondly, if the point of getting the stones was to make sure they were in the safe hands of Zelda, then what was the difference of them being with their original owners? The Zoras had a king, and yet Ganon didn't seem too phased about trying to get it from them, so why would trying to get them from a little girl be any more difficult?

Another thing that confused me was when Link was sent back in time after he defeated Ganon in the future. Now, I know that the point when Link arrives back in the past starts up the timeline that eventually leads to Twilight Princess and that the time that Link arrives in is probably situated between where he left Zelda to get the Stones and when Ganondorf attacks Hyrule Castle (I have seen the scene at the end of the game). However, how does that prevent Ganondorf from winning the battle of Hyrule Castle? We heard from Zelda that her own father didn't believe her about Ganon being evil, so why does a kid carrying the Spiritual Stones make a difference? And telling the king about what happens in the future wouldn't make him believe. That would just make the king think that Link was someone playing along with Zelda's insane prophecy.

There is probably something I'm missing and not fully understanding, so could someone help me out to figure this out?

BCVM22

However, they said that in order to do that, they need the Spiritual Stones. First off, don't the Spiritual Stones OPEN the Door of Time to GET to the Triforce? That's basically the same as "Hey Ganon. Yeah, we went through the trouble of getting the Stones for you so in you go and take the Triforce".

They mention this in-game: it's the folly of youth. Young Zelda and Link failed to realize that in opening the Sacred Realm to try and safeguard the Triforce, they'd be letting Ganondorf in.

And secondly, if the point of getting the stones was to make sure they were in the safe hands of Zelda, then what was the difference of them being with their original owners? The Zoras had a king, and yet Ganon didn't seem too phased about trying to get it from them, so why would trying to get them from a little girl be any more difficult?

Zelda had Link collect them so that they could use them to open the Sacred Realm. Again, in their youthful desire to do good, they failed to realize they were giving Ganondorf access to the Sacred Realm unabated.

However, how does that prevent Ganondorf from winning the battle of Hyrule Castle? We heard from Zelda that her own father didn't believe her about Ganon being evil, so why does a kid carrying the Spiritual Stones make a difference? And telling the king about what happens in the future wouldn't make him believe. That would just make the king think that Link was someone playing along with Zelda's insane prophecy.

They never explicitly mention what new-timeline young Zelda was able to do to convince the king of Ganondorf's evil, but it's implied that he was imprisoned in the flashback in Twilight Princess as a result of him being captured, tried and sentenced to execution.

Last edited:

Penguinist Trainer

It's also mentioned that most of the games star different incarnations of the hero and villian.

I think only a few of the games were mentioned to be true sequels of previous games, such as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, or WindWaker and Phantom Hourglass.

Though it has been hinted in the games that past events have shaped the current world. Such as the world being flooded in WindWaker because the Hero of Time didn't return to stop Ganon.

fhqwhgads

As for why going back to their childhood prevented Ganondorf from taking over again, it's simply because his other-worldly prison is timeless. Once he's locked in, he's gone from every timeline until he's released.

BCVM22

As for why going back to their childhood prevented Ganondorf from taking over again, it's simply because his other-worldly prison is timeless. Once he's locked in, he's gone from every timeline until he's released.

Hooooold on there, pilgrim.

If Ganondorf was "gone from every timeline until he's released", what was young Zelda watching through the castle window in Ocarina's final credits scene, and how was he captured, tried and set to be executed by the Sages prior to Twilight Princess?

fhqwhgads

BCVM22

Going back to the original point, then: where is it that they say imprisoning Ganondorf removes him from every timeline until his release?

I get that Ocarina comes first in what passes for chronology and that Ganondorf being imprisoned at the end of the story sets the stage for him breaking out in the adventures that come after, but one is not the same as the other.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Split time line.

Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask

Majora's Mask > Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess

Then again, Majora's Mask can count as a spin-off in the time line so it can be replaced with Ocarina of Time.

fhqwhgads

BCVM22

There's no other reasonable explanation for how they prevent him from taking over.

Sure there is. Link is able to somehow bring proof of Ganondorf's aims back with him from the future timeline, and with that proof or maybe even without it, new-timeline young Zelda is able to convince the king. Ganondorf is imprisoned, tried and set to be executed by the Sages, as seen prior to the events of Twilight Princess. No muss, no fuss.

Ocarina of Time > Majora's Mask

Majora's Mask > Wind Waker > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks

Majora's Mask > Twilight Princess

Majora's Mask isn't the split point. Ocarina is where the timeline diverges.

The future timeline, where Adult Link defeated Ganondorf and then returns to the past, yields Wind Waker and the two games that comes after it.

The new past timeline, where Young Link re-arrived after defeating Ganondorf in the future, yields Majora's Mask and then Twilight Princess.

Jagged

Thanks BCVM22, how you explained it makes a lot more sense to me now. I think I can remember Ganon or someone else mentioning Zelda's and Link's actions as the "folly of youth" so that clears that up.

The only thing that remains is how Link and Zelda convince the king that Ganon is truly evil, but that could remain unexplained for ages :/

Also, the Split-Timeline Theory isn't too hard to follow. Here is a diagram to better explain it.

Split_Timeline_Theory.png

Jagged

they dont convince the king some parts of the past just never happen like the king seeing ganon on the part link sees him.^_^

Then...how does that lead to Ganon getting sentenced to death? If he doesn't exist in time, then how can they execute him?