• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Connections Between The Different Iterations Of Ash

How do you interpret Ash?

• The Ash from each saga should be viewed as his own character

• The Ash from every saga should be viewed as the same character

• The Ash from OS -> AG -> DP, BW -> XY, and SM should be viewed as 3 separate characters

• The Ash from OS -> AG -> DP -> XY, BW, and SM should be viewed as 3 separate characters

• The Ash from OS -> AG -> DP, BW, XY, and SM should be viewed as 4 separate characters

• The Ash from OS -> AG -> DP -> XY -> SM, and BW should be treatedas 2 separate characters

• The Ash from OS -> AG -> DP -> BW -> XY, and SM should be viewed as 2 separate characters

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Observer

Mostly watching
At first, I was in the OS>AG>DP>XY, BW>SM camp. But then I watched Lumoise Trainer Zac’s video about Ash’s character progression throughout each series. And it made a lot of sense and was really well-thought out. So well-thought out that I actually don’t think this could’ve been the intention, but it’s a really nice way to look at it imo. If you want to watch the video it’s called “The Evolution of Ash Ketchum|Pokemon Journeys” But if not I’ll summarize it here (though I’d still recommend checking out since he explains it way better than I could.

But basically, it went like this. In OS, Ash went from a noob who got either things handed to him or just lucky wins to a genuinely good trainer. He also talks about how the Orange Islands saga was what propelled him into becoming that way with the unorthodox gym challenges he had to do.

In AG, he was a great trainer, and started training with his Pokemon more, actively teaching them new moves for the first time. But because he was a great trainer and was even a mentor now, it got to his head a lot and he became very cocky and overestimated his own skill a lot of times. Even to the point of being kind of conceited and ignoring advice from May (thinking that since he was her teacher, she couldn’t teach him anything) and Brock (thinking he didn’t need his advice anymore). Throughout this series, he learned to become more humble as a result, realizing that no matter how good you get, there’s always someone better.

DP: Becomes more mature, and while an even greater trainer than before, doesn’t oversell himself and realizes that he can learn from not only those with the same or more experience than him, but also those with less experience. His character arc here wasn’t about becoming stronger, but an ideological challenge with the whole Paul rivalry. Not only did he learn from others who were weaker than him, but also from someone who he actively hated. Showing just how mature he had become. Also, I’d like to bring up the fact that at the end of DP, when Ash was asked if he was going to go on another journey and compete in another league, he was actually very unsure almost as if he was questioning if he wanted to keep up with his dream (thanks Tobias).

BW: Okay, here’s what really helped me be okay with counting BW in Ash’s character progression (even though the reset was still a stupid idea in general). But he talks about how we actually have no idea how much time has passed in between the end of DP and the beginning of BW. And that after having defeated his greatest rival, made it to the Semifinals for the first time and even took out legendaries, Ash might’ve wanted to take a long break. You know, like getting burnt out? Since he’s never taken an actual break before. Meaning that it’s entirely possible Ash really did just forget everything because it’s been so long. Like how we forget a lot of stuff we learned in school over summer break.

He also mentioned that it was supposed to be a vacation. Ash wasn’t even prepared to go on a journey unlike in every previous saga, but he got excited. Basically, he was just rusty. The scene in the final episode with him remembering all his past companions and reaffirming his dreams was what led to his persona in XY. He was more determined than ever.

XY: Again, he was back to being mature and competent. But not only that, this time, he wanted to win. He was on a mission. Still using everything that he learned from all the previous sagas, the trainer competence he learned in OS, the humbleness he learned in AG, the willingness to learn from others in DP, and the never losing sight of your goal in BW. All of these qualities worked together to make him dead set on winning and more often than not succeed.

But in this series, he learned to not focus so intensely on winning and also appreciate the more finer things in life. To “stop and smell the roses” and appreciate the world around him. Leading him to take another break just as he did after DP, and then go to school in SM where he does just that. During his break in between XY and SM, he probably took note to keep up on his Pokemon training every now and again, which would explain why he still had his competence.

SM: Still a competent trainer, but now more of a goof. Just like in BW, he went to Alola for a vacation and again he got excited. But instead of going on a journey and looking to enter in a regional championship or anything of the sort, he decided to go to school. A way for him to do just what he learned in XY, to just stop, take a breath, and appreciate the world at large. To learn about more than just being a Pokemon Master. Heck, he even had to cook and do laundry for himself for the first time lol.

So yeah, I count every Ash as the same character now. Despite the massive problems I have with BW and SM. Honestly, I feel like I didn’t do that video justice, but hopefully you guys get the gist of it. I also added in some of my own thoughts and stuff that I personally took away from the anime in general and the video though.

I Saw the video a while back myself and I agree with what he said as well because at the end of the day it's still the same Ash.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Can't have been that long since he started on his 10th birthday and he's still ten years old despite having gone through four regions, 32 gyms, 13 movies, and five leagues

Could’ve been 11 months. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
XY Rules said:
BW: Okay, here’s what really helped me be okay with counting BW in Ash’s character progression (even though the reset was still a stupid idea in general). But he talks about how we actually have no idea how much time has passed in between the end of DP and the beginning of BW. And that after having defeated his greatest rival, made it to the Semifinals for the first time and even took out legendaries, Ash might’ve wanted to take a long break. You know, like getting burnt out? Since he’s never taken an actual break before. Meaning that it’s entirely possible Ash really did just forget everything because it’s been so long. Like how we forget a lot of stuff we learned in school over summer break.

The idea that Satoshi took a long break after DP isn't implausible I suppose, and would at least explain why he forgot some things when he started his journey in Isshu. The theory doesn't contradict any previously established events as far as I can tell, so at least it can be accepted without ruining the canon.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
What if a year in the Pokémon anime is longer than 365 days?

This.

My theory is that the pokémon anime world has more than 12 months. That even explains why 10 year old kids are treated as adults there.

TheCrazyMaster

At first, I was in the OS>AG>DP>XY, BW>SM camp. But then I watched Lumoise Trainer Zac’s video about Ash’s character progression throughout each series. And it made a lot of sense and was really well-thought out. So well-thought out that I actually don’t think this could’ve been the intention, but it’s a really nice way to look at it imo. If you want to watch the video it’s called “The Evolution of Ash Ketchum|Pokemon Journeys” But if not I’ll summarize it here (though I’d still recommend checking it out since he explains it way better than I could).

I've seen that one along with JPRPokeTrainer98's video called "The Problem with Ash Ketchum" and between the two of them I have to say I agree more with JPR.

But that's just it, he might have, but we have know idea if he actually did (unless we take Matpats aging theory into account). And while you're defenitely going to be rusty at something if you haven't done it in a while, it's not like you're going to forget absolutely everything to the extent that we saw in BW.

XY: Again, he was back to being mature and competent. But not only that, this time, he wanted to win. He was on a mission. Still using everything that he learned from all the previous sagas, the trainer competence he learned in OS, the humbleness he learned in AG, the willingness to learn from others in DP, and the never losing sight of your goal in BW. All of these qualities worked together to make him dead set on winning and more often than not succeed.

Ash has always wanted to win. Obviously he trains because he wants to have a good time, but he has always strived for the top. And from a realistic perspective you wouldn't suddenly relearn every single thing that you've forgotten in an instant unless you had some spare brain juice somewhere.

Heck, he even had to cook and do laundry for himself for the first time lol.

Didn't he have to do chores as far back as AG-DP?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The same character. He just chooses to be a novice in every new region so others have a chance.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
He develops throughout OS & AG. And at the end of the Hoenn League, he's shown to have a close battle with Tyson (The League Winner itself) which could have gone either way if it was held on any other day of the week aka a Tossup Battle. Then we have the BF, which should in my opinion should be viewed as a transition from Hoenn to Sinnoh. We get a preview of his Sinnoh Self in the Battle Frontier. Of course, he would have won the Sinnoh League if a certain character didn't enter the Tournament. There's now this timeskip from DP to BW, in which we can assume he takes few months off which explains his rustiness at the start of BW. And Unova is clearly portrayed in the Anime as a brand new place for Ash (who is jokingly refered to as even as from the Boonies by Trip) which is why he struggles here and learns from his experiences in Unova and does well in Kalos, losing to another OP Character (who only entered the League because Ash told him to). At this point, he should have already won the Sinnoh & Kalos Leagues. Then he takes time off and goes to Alola where he can finally relax and rely on other people, his Alolan Family which helps him in winning his first league with a bit of luck (since no T****s appeared). Then the transition between SM to JN, is probably the most smoothest transition ever. In my opinion, when you look at it as a whole his character progression is rather linear. He was just an unlucky guy until SM/JN. Probably it wasn't a good time for his Zodiac Sign.