• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Conquering the Frozen Tower: Articuno Stars in My New BT Team!

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^Yeah, I found that even Articuno can PP stall Stone Edge if necessary. I've also tried Spite, and I've found Grudge to be more effective, seeing as I can do it up to five times in a row if necessary.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
That was my beef with Grudge. I thought I could use it it conjunction with Memento, and was sorely disappointed when I found out it can't. And the recoil from Struggle always meant I didn't have quite enough time to set up the way I wanted.

Obviously, it could still work, I'm just not a fan.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^I think that's where our styles differ, and it makes the difference between you and me. You're an excellent analyst, but it causes some backlash because you have to come up with exact stratgies. I'm more flexible, but more reckless.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
^I think that's where our styles differ, and it makes the difference between you and me. You're an excellent analyst, but it causes some backlash because you have to come up with exact stratgies. I'm more flexible, but more reckless.

Which is why I'm having such a hard time coming up with an idea for a new team. The only combo better than Uxie/Scizor that I can think of is Latias/Registeel, which is what Peterko is using. Also, to some degree, Mesprit and Drapion seems to have a lot of potential as well.

Basically, I don't know how to top MO without copying Peterko's team. And trust me, I've looked into it quite a bit. It's just that as far as Sweepers go, Scizor is undoubtedly the best out there. He's a better sweeper than Registeel, it's just that Registeel has more bulk and can therefore survive much longer.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^I'll let you know how this does, then hopefully we can come up with a plan. I know I'm never going to get any better than Going for the Gold, but you have a chance to move on.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just breezed through the first 21 battles in record time. That literally took me half an hour.

Last edited:

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
^I'll let you know how this does, then hopefully we can come up with a plan. I know I'm never going to get any better than Going for the Gold, but you have a chance to move on.

EDIT: Holy crap, I just breezed through the first 21 battles in record time. That literally took me half an hour.

Best of luck. If this team does well, then I'll be very impressed. You're the first person to try OHKO abuse that I know of. We'll see how it stacks up in the later rounds.

Oh, want to know how Peterko's awesome team finally lost? He lost at like 2364, IIRC. The enemy led with a Guillotine Gliscor. His Latias Tricked, and then Gliscor proceeded to land 4 Guillotines in a row, completely sweeping his team. Talk about bad hax. That team could handle anything, it seemed.

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
A sturdy pokemon such as AGGRON which is also a rock/steel type would kill articuno fast. Also with swampert, go with EQ. And again, Aggron is also an issue with Spiritomb for the fact That Aggron resists Spiritomb well. And If Aggron got locked into a grass move, Than youd better hope that Swampert could outrun him and OHKO him. Because if swampert is gone too, than Articuno is screwed.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
^Basically all Sturdy Pokemon are a problem to his team. But they are typically Steel and Rock types that Swampert has little trouble dealing with. And I doubt you'd find an Aggron with a grass move in the Tower.

Slowprince

Prince of Slowmania
What are you going to do against pokémon that are unaffected by OHKO-moves? Like a bulky Foretress?

Just asking...

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Best of luck. If this team does well, then I'll be very impressed. You're the first person to try OHKO abuse that I know of. We'll see how it stacks up in the later rounds.

Oh, want to know how Peterko's awesome team finally lost? He lost at like 2364, IIRC. The enemy led with a Guillotine Gliscor. His Latias Tricked, and then Gliscor proceeded to land 4 Guillotines in a row, completely sweeping his team. Talk about bad hax. That team could handle anything, it seemed.

Prepare to be completely blown away, then. My streak just reached 56, and I've only had Articuno faint once, and that was against Palmer's Dragonite. Rhyperior was locked into EQ, so that was easy enough. Milotic critted my Sub with Surf, then hit Articuno with the same move before fainting. Dragonite got a Thunder Wave on Articuno on turn 1, then on turn two used Dragon Claw, so Articuno was down to about 5% health. And then paralysis kicked in. Beating Dragonite with Swampert was no problem though, so it was easy enough.

And that just goes to show how incredibly dangerous properly abused Hax is in the Tower. Articuno's been working a treat.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Prepare to be completely blown away, then. My streak just reached 56, and I've only had Articuno faint once, and that was against Palmer's Dragonite. Rhyperior was locked into EQ, so that was easy enough. Milotic critted my Sub with Surf, then hit Articuno with the same move before fainting. Dragonite got a Thunder Wave on Articuno on turn 1, then on turn two used Dragon Claw, so Articuno was down to about 5% health. And then paralysis kicked in. Beating Dragonite with Swampert was no problem though, so it was easy enough.

And that just goes to show how incredibly dangerous properly abused Hax is in the Tower. Articuno's been working a treat.

Now that I look closer into the mechanics of this team, I'm actually less surprised at how well it has done so far. For one thing, I never knew Articuno had such great defenses. 90/100/125 is nothing to scoff at. Kudos for figuring this out.

How does this team stack up against Sturdy Pogeys?

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^I always knew Articuno was a powerful defender, before Stealth Rock she was the best defensive Flying type in the game (now it's either Gliscor or Skarmory).

Anyway, I've only faced two Sturdy users in my 72 battles so far. First was a Donphan, who fell easily to Swampert's Waterfall attack for a clean sweep. Second was a Magnezone (thankfully not the one I was worried about), and I crushed it easily because Swampert had already come in against the previous Pokemon (I think it was a Rhyperior?) and was at +3 or +4. Really simple.

EDIT: I'm at 77 wins now. Chugging right along. As for Going for the Gold, the last run through got cut short at 94 b/c Scizor got tricked a Choice Specs when he was setting up SD. So that really killed it. Milotic got critted, and Latias locked the lead into Ice Beam :/ That was just the BT in overkill mode.

Last edited:

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I think Spiritomb may actually be one of the better TrickScarf leads. For one thing, he has no weakness and always takes at least neutral damage, plus he has access to a myriad of helpful support moves. Grudge, Memento, and Disable in particular.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I agree completely, that's why I picked him. I'm nearly to 100 wins already, I'm going up so fast it's insane. I might even beat you, sooner or later... nah, probably not :p

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I agree completely, that's why I picked him. I'm nearly to 100 wins already, I'm going up so fast it's insane. I might even beat you, sooner or later... nah, probably not :p

Not if I can do anything about it :p I've played with MO enough that I know how to handle most of my threats. But I still slip from time to time. I've taken a break for the time being. I may try some of the other facilities.

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I think that sounds like a good idea. I'll stop once I get to 100 wins so I don't get burnt out. Should be reporting that around three o'clock EST tomorrow, freezing weather permiting. I'll be challenging the Battle Castle, it's the only facility that I don't have the Gold Print for yet.
And it's not like I could ever surpass the person who pulled my sorry *** out of the n00b gutter:D

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Sorry Mods, but the Warstory for this epic team needs to be told.

eonmasterrequest4.png

Warstory: This team, in all honesty, is the best strategy in the BT I've used thus far. I've encountered almost zero problems, Articuno has fainted once, and not a single Strudy user (not even the Exploding Magnezone) has done enough to take out Swampert. Spiritomb is the best TrickScarf lead ever, he's out of 2HKO range for 98% of the leads in the Tower. Articuno is nearly as bulky as Suicune, and she's so much easier to set up. Going through 100 battles in three days has to be some kind of record. I've never found the Tower this easy before, it's almost laughable compared to all the stress I used to go through when I used strategies like DualScreen, or Sunny Day/Status leads. It feels like nothing can stop me... *runs into a brick wall made up of every single Sturdy user in the BT* ...except that.

Threats: One pokemon has managed to slightly threaten this team, and that was the Taunt/Sucker Punch Absol. I was forced to switch from Spiritomb to an unboosted Swampert and go blow for blow with my Priority using opponent. I won because of Absol's fragility, but Swampert fainted the next turn against some Water type. I locked it with the Scarf, drained it's PP with Grudge, then sent in Articuno for a perfect finish.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
^Well done. I have a couple minor concerns regarding Forretress, seeing how he's Sturdy, has massive defense, and isn't weak to any of Swampert's moves. If anything, I'd imagine him to be the most difficult thing to deal with. Other than that, the typical problems for TrickScarfers will always be a nuisance. Choice item and Taunt leads, or OHKO abusers (LOL at Lapras locked into Sheer Cold with a Scarf).

Eh, maybe I should go ahead and try a new streak. I'm just so damn terrified of Staraptor now. F*ck that guy.