1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Cons of your favorite series and pros of your least favorite

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Ignition, Oct 11, 2018.

1. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

It's time!

DP:
    1. Dawn losing to Zoey. Even if she had to lose to her in the final, she should have at least beaten her once.
    2. Torterra winless
    3. Marley and Buck kinda seeming rushed near the end because the writers realized they were running out of time to include all the stat trainers. I mean, if you have 4 years, how do you mess that up that badly. Compared to earlier ones like Cheryl and Riley who got multiple episodes each, I wish Marley and Buck hadn't felt rushed, and like they were there just to be there. Especially if you consider that Buck appears in the final episode he could possibly appear in, right before the league. Super-rushed.
    4. Ash not beating Maylene. Ash shouldn't have accepted the badge.
    5. Buizel not evolving.
    6. The writers writing Ambipom out of the show just for Togekiss. What a joke. Why did they even make Ash catch Aipom in Kanto then?
    7. The Snowpoint-Sunyshore gap
    8. Ursula not showing up sooner
    9. Conway only showing up twice before the league, both times in mini-arcs. He should have been more recurring like Paul, Barry, and Nando.
    10. Brock not doing much.
    11. Holly not reappearing after tag battle tournament. She was perfect for Brock.
    12. Barry not showing up sooner. It's crazy that he didn't appear until more than 100 episodes in.
    13. the fact that Charon didn't appear in the Ranger Heatran episode. The anime hasn't shied away from post-arc appearances from villains before, such as from Brodie of Team Magma in AG and Xerosic of Team Flare in XY&Z, so there was no reason they couldn't have had Charon appear in that episode, taking on his role from Platinum.
    14. Dawn using Togekiss in the final after just getting her. Togekiss should have been used for an earlier round, and let Piplup be teamed up with one of the other Pokémon who's brought her this far in the FINAL of all places. Honestly it would have been cool if Ambipom had pulled a Gliscor, but I'm not asking for that much, just for Togekiss to be saved for an earlier round and let one of the main starting five be in the final against Zoey.
    15. the fact that when May reappeared at the Wallace Cup, she wasn't drawn as *developed* as she was in AG ;):p:D
    16. no Gen V Pokémon appearing in the Gen IV anime

BW:
    1. It's evaluation time!
    2. Cilan was a breath of fresh air after Brock had become stale. I liked the episodes where they were like bros like the double battle episode.
    3. Episode N
    4. how Da! had a lot of callbacks to the past
    5. Alexa debuting and debuting Gen VI Pokémon. It was nice to see after I thought they had stopped that tradition in the DP-BW transition.
    6. Competent TR - Giovanni actually showing up in Unova and battling Ash - being the main villain arc for once
    7. the Meowth arc
    8. the origin of the Dunsparce meme
    9. The Team Plasma arc having a 6-part finale, still the most episodes in a villain finale
    10. all the tournament arcs
    11. All main characters actually being active battlers (largely because of the tournament arcs)
    12. Ash having a female rival for once
    13. the Bianca gag where she got Ash wet
    14. all main characters having rivals for once
    15. Dawn and Cynthia returning
    16. TR stopping appearing in every episode

Actually, there were in EVERY episode not just almost lol

It wasn't a full battle actually. It was the same round as Sawyer vs. Tierno, so it was 3v3. I agree it should have been shown though. I also think the QFs should be 6v6, so that was another problem to me.

until he got banned!

Mallow didn't exist at the time.

Contradicting yourself within the same post, I see?

this is my favorite post by you ever

You're not the only one! If you go to the thread for the recent episode (dub) you will see I got pissed at people who said it was pointless!! I loved it!

I'll hold you to that.

Do I Hear a Ralts?

This is why Piplup is my favorite Pokémon and why I have never evolved it when I play Sinnoh games!!!

2. Genaller

Genaller Mein Kaiser

@LilligantLewis I meant “full” in the sense of the entire battle rather than a 6 vs 6 though of course I’d have also preferred 6 vs 6 QFs assuming no budget/time constraints.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  3. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

Sorry about that, when i say mallow, i mean manon the companion of alain in ME specials she was more cheerfull and had a chespin, could have easily replaced clemont.

4. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

Do you mean Mairin??? She was never called Mallow, even in the Japanese version her name is Manon

5. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

Ok so he made a spelling mistake and forgot to fix that ,

6. LilligantLewis

It's pretty confusing when said spelling mistake is the name of ANOTHER main character though.

7. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

In hindsight, I didn't mind the gap in DP between Gym #7 and #8 as much these days compared to how I felt about it years ago. These days the fillers at the time seem much more fun for some reason.

8. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I still mind but I do agree that the fillers were more fun.

9. LilligantLewis

The 52-episode Snowpoint-Sunyshore gap only had 10 filler episodes (19%)

10. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

Cons of my favorite series: The Indigo League

-For being a Pokemon fan Ash sure don’t know **** about Pokemon. Imagine knowing a kid whose a huge basketball fans and is always watching the game and has NBA Memorabilia all over his room but doesn’t know **** about basketball

- Everything after Ash obtains the 8th badge is pretty weak. Go West, Young Meowth is pretty much the only exception.

-Following the last point the Indigo Conference may be the worst Pokemon League and while I like the writers were more interested in developing the WORLD of Pokemon over just focusing on over the top battles they could have at least tried. 4 of 5 of Ash’s League Battles are about 5 minutes or less in the episode with only his battle against Kimono Girl in the Grass Field have any real focud

Pros of my least favorite series Pokemon Advance

+ Pokemon Contest was a great idea to give another character besides Ash something to do and it means the collecting of badges wasn’t the only narrative thrust (which became Johto’s problem) they perfected that with Dawn imho but it got its start here

+I liked that the starters are evenly split between the travelling companions. We wouldn’t see that again until XY

Redstar45 likes this.
  11. Redstar45

Yeah i am agree with that and it is my problem with os era

12. zdbz_sn

zdbz_sn Well-Known Member

Cons of the OS: Material from the Gen I games that could've made for good storylines and even an ongoing arc was ignored, the animation was wildly inconsistent, almost nothing about Johto was handled in a clever or even interesting way during its long middle section, and as is true of every series, missed opportunities litter the episodes.

Pros of XY/Z: Miette, the high points of the animation are some of the highest in the history of the franchise, the Hoopa film is a hoot, I like Ash's revised character design if not the writing for his character, Bonnie's a fun character, and Miette again.

Redstar45 and PineapplePizza like this.
  13. PineapplePizza

It was interesting how the anime came up with good storylines out of nothing material (Sabrina and the S.S Anne being the best examples) but then ignored actual material the games provided. The Rocket Game Corner? Team Rocket’s take over of Silph Co ?(that got a slight nod at least) The Ghost of Marowak that was killed by Team Rocket haunting Pokemon Tower? The Pokemon Labatory on Cinnabar Island where the diary entries tells the story of Mew and Mewtwo? (And that one was kind of referenced in Mewtwo Strikes Back but it could have been done a lot better) those all could have made interesting plots in the anime and were ignored

Johto suffered from being three* times as long as Kanto (it probably helped that Kanto saga started a year after the gen 1 games were initially released and had the Orange Islands to kill time) and having the same general “Ash collects the badges to compete in the League”
    and nothing else so a lot of it feels like filler.

Even as a kid I couldnt believe enough time had passed for a new series title and Ash only had 2 badges.

The only reason I even place Johto above Hoen is because Misty at her most uninteresting is still way better than dealing with Max and May

*I know Johto is only twice as long as Kanto but my God does it feel three times as long

Also the Silver Conference gave us the Ash vs Gary battle that Indigo should have

Redstar45 likes this.
  14. Redstar45

And they did not use red hat design for Satoshi/Ash look and made his blue jackets red as well
    I didn't like that he and Shigur not do Pokemon battles during the early episode and i wish Satoshi meet Sakaki earlier and whole thing about mewtwo just for the movie .....is actually stupid and i know that everyone (almost) favorite movie but i kind wanted a unknown cave battle between Satoshi and Mewtwo.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  15. PineapplePizza

I do wish Ash had looked more like his game counterpart. If only because even today people will try to argue that Ash and the Player Character from gen 1 aren’t literally the same character.

Huh?

I’m also disappointed they didnt adapt that from the games with them meeting 3 different times and the third time revealing Giovanni is the Virdian Gym leader. At least we get them finding out Team Rocket controls the gym. I guess that’s something.

Is it everyone’s favorite? I feel of the original series movies Lord of the Unown Tower holds up the best and even as kid Power of One feel a lot more grand even if 4Kids spectacularly ruins the moral and gives the exact opposite of the intended message. I would rank Mewtwo Strikes Back above Pokemon 4ever and maybe Pokemon Heroes. (Maybe)

Regardless I don’t know how the anime could have made Ash encounters Mewtwo in a cave interesting and movie worthy and the whole Attack of the Clones concept wasn’t bad. The movie just didnt have a whole lot going on the best part was the prologue.

16. Redstar45

I was meant that Shigur Orchard a.k.a Gary Oak and i mean to say Pokemon battle sorry and i love Masoto and Haruka's characters in the ag era and i wish may little closer to her Pokesup counterpart and brandan show up in the Pokemon anime show as her foe in Pokemon contest.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  17. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

What is your problem with May that you feel like you have to "deal" with her?

LilligantLewis and Redstar45 like this.
  18. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Shouts over the top.

May dared to replace Misty! She must die!

Shoots lighting from the fingers at May.

In all seriousness, it is more than likely because Misty left the show and was replaced by May... it is the most common complaint on May and we know this.

19. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

May didn't do anything wrong. The anime producers are the ones responsible by forcing May to take the main female lead role after Misty in Hoenn. So if you, or anyone else, want to shoot your lightnings do it at the producers/writers instead.

20. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

I was joking and went over the top with an old, dead meme to make a point.

Misty LONG over stayed her welcome and IMO May is one of the best pokegirls in this series, with Dawn being right by her and Lillie being behind them.

Spider-Phoenix likes this.