1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Cons of your favorite series and pros of your least favorite

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Ignition, Oct 11, 2018.

1. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I see. It's too bad that a good amount of people who hate a specific Pokegirl is due of the Ash shippings, something that I don't care about them. I would favor to see the Pokegirls interacting each other more. I would even favor a crossover shipping, like the one with Serena & Human Godzilla at DeviantArt.

2. Diamond and Pearl:
    -Dawn never beat Zoey
    -Team Rocket being annoying
    -Piplup
    -Ash vs Tobias
    -Dawn's Ambipom being released was really stupid and Togekiss was unnecessary
    -Some fillers episodes were pretty boring
    -Nando, Ursula and Conway should have appeared more
    -Brock not doing much.
    -Cyrus did not have a battle against Ash or Cynthia
    Johto:
    -The league
    -Ash vs Gary
    -Misty farewell
    -Ash's Bayleaf, Totodile and Phanpy.

3. LilligantLewis

LilligantLewis primarina donna

I forgot about this thread and am still proud and happy with my answer and agree with it after rereading it. I gave 16 reasons on each side and am happy with that. My post is post #201 at the top of page 11.

Redstar45 and Ignition like this.
  4. maartjeverhoef

maartjeverhoef Well-Known Member

Cons of AG
    - why was Ash still there as a main lead?
    - May's team, she should've caught more Gen III pokemon
    - not switching Brock's goal (like DP did) to sth related to his type speciality in the games
    - keeping Brock's gag and making it even more annoying
    - not giving Max a pokemon (I could see him with Castform)
    - Drew
    - Ash's rivals
    - only one E4 member showing up

Pros of XY/Z
    - Serena
    - Chespin
    - Ash having fully evolved team
    - Clemont was funny sometimes
    - Team Flare arc
    - Korrina
    - Alain
    - interesting battles

5. LilligantLewis

Could you please elaborate on these two? Both of them are such major parts of AG that it seems hard for me to believe that you could dislike these and still consider AG your favorite.

6. maartjeverhoef

Hoenn felt like a last call to switch the main lead. The series was semi-rebooted back then - Ash left to Hoenn just with his Pikachu, he & Brock got new clothes, Misty left the main cast, etc. With every region it's gonna be harder and harder to replace him because he became too "iconic" and important to the franchise. I'd rather see anime follow the Adventures route and replece main protagonists every generation. Nothing's wrong with AG Ash though, it might be even the best irritation of Ash I have seen in this anime, it's just I'd want to see other player characters as a main lead.
    As for Drew, he looked like a rip-off of Gary to me. Maybe I'd like him more if he was a girl.

7. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

Naa i like ag Satoshi and what os era Satoshi should be if shudõ had knock it off of his stupid idea and let him get better at his Pokemon skill and closer to the classic pocket monsters game and beating shigur at kanto league

8. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

I feel Ash may have worked as main protagonist if they'd changed up the formula more often and given him different stuff to do. SM is the first one to really try shaking things up and giving him a new approach and it's still in kind of an unfocused primordial state.

I did like Ash getting the 'middle child' role for the first time in AG with May and Max playing a little sibling role against him at least.

9. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

No offense but Satoshi should done in xyz era let new protagonist of sun and moon games replaced him

10. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I'd rather he had won the league in Kanto as in the game and had been replaced by Jimmy.

11. LilligantLewis

It would have been way too much unrealistic progression in way too short of a time had he won the league in Kanto considering how his gym battles went. When people talk about how Ash should have been replaced in the past after winning a league, the first realistic time I could have seen that happen would have been after Johto since he actually won his badges properly and showed battle competence.

12. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

This was the writers' fault, too. They could have developed him in Kanto, but they wanted him to be a complete noob.

Redstar45 likes this.
  13. PineapplePizza

PineapplePizza Well-Known Member

Since the Orange League had to exist to kill time until Gold and Silver and Ash won all those badges fairly (two of which actually involed Pokemon battles!) and won the Orange League against a Lance expy they could have easily made the Orange Islands Ash’s swan song and started fresh with Jimmy (and maybe Bugsy and Whitney as companions?) for Johto.

Although given how closely tied gen 2 was with gen 1 I can understand keeping Ash for Johto.

They should have retired him by Advance though

14. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

But Orange League is not canon, though. That would be cheap.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  15. PorcelainVulpix

PorcelainVulpix Well-Known Member

How is the orange league not canon? You must be referring to games only?

LilligantLewis and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  16. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, it doesn't count.

17. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

That is the league where Charizard finally had some character development. From a butt hole that blew Ash off in the league to one of his most dependable pokemon yet.

So it counts and declaring it non canon would be as stupid as calling SM non canon for what ever unholy reason. (YES people are actually thinking that!)

We also had an episode in Johto where Ash met that Lapras of his again.

18. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Ok, with '' canon '' I mean it does not exist in games, so it does not matter. Ash winning the orange league is so relevant as winning the Clubsplosion.

19. maartjeverhoef

After watching the Kanto part of OS for the first time I thought he'll take the Indigo League once again after his loss... but we got a filler region instead. He already had all 8 gym badges so he didn't have to go through the region and collect them again. Series focused on his training to participate in a league again, facing the Elite 4 down the road, culminating in Ash vs. Gary in the final would be ideal. Then Ash could pass the torch to Jimmy/Gold and so on.

20. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

I mostly agree, but I think Ash staying till the end of DP at least was fine. AG and DP Ash felt like continuations of OS Ash, it never felt like he was rebooted until BW began. DP could have worked really well as Ash's final series, or XY by the latest assuming the let him win a league and gave him a proper sendoff.

I also think AG and to a lesser extent DP is the only two times it really worked with a beginning female trainer learned from Ash and such, then they just kept repeating it and now it feels stale. I mean there's only so many times you can see a beginning female trainer start her journey, view Ash as an experienced trainer/mentor, go through the similar rookie mistake process again (all the girls cry at their first loss, then they get better), etc. I feel like once Gen 8 starts they'll do the same thing again and go back to a traditional saga with a beginning female companion.

As for Drew he did start off seeming like he would just be Contest Gary, but after we got to mid Hoenn and later on he developed into his own character, the way he interacted with May wasn't the same as Gary to Ash, at least not entirely.