• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Cons of your favorite series and pros of your least favorite

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Ok, with '' canon '' I mean it does not exist in games, so it does not matter. Ash winning the orange league is so relevant as winning the Clubsplosion.

You probably should have worded it different.

Anime doesn't equal the games, especially in the old series where Ash and friends drop by in filler town of the day or an anime exclusive town on a regular basis or when the characters act differently from their games counterpart.

Like Sabrina going from reluctant psychic girl that dislikes battle to.... what we got in the anime. (One scary woman that just needs to look at you before she gives you a bad time!)

Orange Island stopped meaning a whole lot when Ash got his butt kicked come Johto and was given a reason to go there.

Same with the Battle Frontier when Gary came around with an Electivire! But these are the only two arcs where Ash actually won. So they are something at least.

Jeal

You probably should have worded it different.

Anime doesn't equal the games, especially in the old series where Ash and friends drop by in filler town of the day or an anime exclusive town on a regular basis or when the characters act differently from their games counterpart.

Like Sabrina going from reluctant psychic girl that dislikes battle to.... what we got in the anime. (One scary woman that just needs to look at you before she gives you a bad time!)

Orange Island stopped meaning a whole lot when Ash got his butt kicked come Johto and was given a reason to go there.

Same with the Battle Frontier when Gary came around with an Electivire! But these are the only two arcs where Ash actually won. So they are something at least.
Yeah, I worded wrong. But it's fact, the writers themselves didn't treated the Orange League victory as a big deal.

PineapplePizza

I think Jeal is distinguishing the term between canon (it exist in the games) and continuity.

Obviously Orange League is in continuity with the series, as opposed to say I Choose you and Everyone’s Story movies but its not part of the games

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
Cons of my favorite series (AG)
-Filler
-Team Rocket
-Wattson Gym Battle
-Tate and Liza Gym Battle (Deus Ex Machina)
-Ash's Charizard jobbing to Brandon's Dusclops
-Ash's Pikachu vs Brandon's Regice (Deus Ex Machina)

Pros of my least favorite series (BW)
-The Tournaments (Club Battle/Clubsplosion/Junior Cup)
-The Rivals (Georgia/Trip/Stephan)
-The Fires of a Red-Hot Reunion episode (Ash's Charizard vs Iris's Dragonite)
-Barley any Team Rocket

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
Cons of XY:
Not enough focus on Noivern, he really got shafted and should have received as an egg at the beginning of the series from Alexa, and we should have seen more moments with him after hatching in the 2nd season...due to Flame Body accelerating the process to hatch him slightly faster, maybe right before Ash's gym battle with clemont
The start of the KL was really rushed.
Clemont doesn't really receive that much character development, even though he was pretty interesting in the first half
Serena's Braixen doesn't learn any other moves other than fire type ones
Performances were often repetitive, with fire being used over and over again instead of something else.
Serena didn't catch any other Pokemon or even realize she needed to have more variety on her team
Sawyer's unrealistic improvement in 13 episodes(they could have had Ash still lose...just have Sawyer barely pull the win out after weakening Greninja with Clawitzer a bit and with him predicting Ash's moves a bit better than last time)
Greninja's release really felt out of nowhere and we should have gotten a more clear explanation as to why and how it can sense energy

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Cons of XY:
Not enough focus on Noivern, he really got shafted and should have received as an egg at the beginning of the series from Alexa, and we should have seen more moments with him after hatching in the 2nd season...due to Flame Body accelerating the process to hatch him slightly faster, maybe right before Ash's gym battle with clemont
The start of the KL was really rushed.
Clemont doesn't really receive that much character development, even though he was pretty interesting in the first half
Serena's Braixen doesn't learn any other moves other than fire type ones
Performances were often repetitive, with fire being used over and over again instead of something else.
Serena didn't catch any other Pokemon or even realize she needed to have more variety on her team
Sawyer's unrealistic improvement in 13 episodes(they could have had Ash still lose...just have Sawyer barely pull the win out after weakening Greninja with Clawitzer a bit and with him predicting Ash's moves a bit better than last time)
Greninja's release really felt out of nowhere and we should have gotten a more clear explanation as to why and how it can sense energy
and what about pros of your least favorite series?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My favorite is the original. Biggest con was how the league ended for Ash. There's losing and there's obnoxious things like a completely new trainer who's basically a knock-off beating you because Charizard is lazy

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Favourites: DP/XY

For DP Brock felt like he was a third wheel and Ambipom's release was not handled too well. For XY many of the filler episodes were boring and Ash's Dragon-types got shafted in favour of Greninja. Showcases in XY were also underwhelming compared to Contests.

Least favourite: BW

Was not too reliant on Team Rocket to get the plot moving and the Tournament battles were great for injecting variety into the battles. Rival interaction with the main characters were also quite interesting.

DatsRight

While I like Ash and most of the companions in SM, I admit the spotlight is incredibly uneven in the series.

I think a problem is that they've finally gotten a grasp on Ash in terms of colourful dynamics and agency, but are now over engrossed in that, only making token attempts to do the same with the others now (exacerbated by having FIVE of them this series). It's not consistent, there are SOME great episodes with the other characters, but there's just too many where Ash does all the battles/slapstick/character development moments and everyone else is just kind of standing in the background not really involved, sometimes even in an episode they're supposed to have a main role.

Ash is also constantly JUST on the very borderline of being the series' designated monkey, they'll have a chunk of episodes that tend to pick on him and no one else and just make him by far the most inherently flawed and luckless character, only then they'll craftily place in a few everyone else gets their fair turn of slapstick and self provoked misery. I always have a wary eye waiting for the balance to finally dip (the Poni Island arc is currently in another 'Only Ash gets hurt/humiliated/looks fallible in any way' faze).

It's frustrating at times because there are always glimmers of great traits and foibles for the other characters that would make them great for central roles if they played on them enough, but the writers often seem to have a 'Why use such-and-such-character when Ash can do it fine?' outlook and have to force themselves to try and focus on the others. I liked the spa episode for example since it played with a more high strung side of Mallow from suffering Ash's hijinks for once, this flaw for her is seldom seen elsewhere of course because she's almost never the butt monkey compared to Ash. Also the very few episodes Ash has a minimal role, like Lillie's first Poni Island episode (while the recent one had Ash more or less steal it from her).

It'd be nice to have a series that could keep a damn balance for once, not keeping largely to either 'Only Ash does all the fun stuff' or 'Only everyone BUT Ash does all the fun stuff'.

Last edited: