• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Containment thread for LEAKS of upcoming episodes (READ THE FIRST POST, IMPORTANT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miky

The animator apologizes to the fans because he responded out of emotion and frustration saying sorry and that he’ll do his best to make Pokémon more enjoyable

The animator shouldn't even have to apologize though... no offense, but them lashing out was fine because of people criticizing the delays/recaps so often. There's only so much pressure that you can take after all.

I actually find that having to be so 'positive' about such thing or even being forced to apologize for lashing out like this is kind of bad, but apparently it's the norm in Japan... At this point the studio needs reorganizing.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Miky

Why are we talking about this? This is a leak topic, I see everything here but leaks.
I mean... there's not much new leaks now, we just got the confirmation for the reason of delay, but that's it. There's nothing much now so we're focusing on that.

If we had any information about anime or leaks about upcoming announcement I'd rather talk about it

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Why are we talking about this? This is a leak topic, I see everything here but leaks.
Cause there are no leaks currently. There are two week combination of recap and a break before we see Ash vs Leon and we will probably only get leaks the week beforehand Ash vs Leon.

Besides,this is topic that should be addressed in general. Animators work their butts off to provide us,unsatisfied fans, with the best they can under the current situation. We should be a bit more grateful.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Taking on more projects is something most studios inside of the industry do. Producers are not good at managing studios, which is why so many tend to fall a part. In this case, OLM's executives are likely taking on projects because they need to bring in the money to keep the studio going or because they're just mismanaging their resources and doing what their partners (other members of the production committee, who have the rights to make an anime) want them do.

In the Japanese animation industry the people who make the project (directors, writers, animators, production assistants, sound design team, coloring team, filming team, backgrounds team, etc.) DO NOT decide what projects the studio takes on. A studio like OLM—which is the main production studio for a series rather than just a sub-contractor working for another studio—is not usually run by an animator or director.

The Pokemon production team has likely suffered over some really major losses over the past seven or eight years. In 2016 Studio Cockpit (which had worked on the series since the 1997 series' Episode #3) closed. The studio that brought us Tamagawa, Iwane, Asada, Natsume, and Koga was no more. Iwane and Asada opened their own two-man studio to continue working together on Pokemon, which they named Studio Cockpit (written in Hiragana, as opposed to the original having its name written in Katakana). Everyone else from the studio left to join other projects. Cockpit was a pretty important sub-contracting studio that had a history of working all over the industry. They closed down because the president (Masunaga Keisuke, I believe?) decided to retire and nobody else within the studio wanted to take over running the studio. Now, Pokemon no longer had the services of Studio Cockpit to work with, a studio with a rich history of Kanada School animators.

In 2018 sub-contractor Studio Wanpack also closed down, which hurt the entire industry in general. Wanpack was a big studio that mostly handled the bulk work of the industry. It was never a healthy studio but it still essentially helped carry the industry for years, during harsh times. With the studio gone its staff either left the industry, went freelance or joined other studios (if any studio was hiring in-house staff, which is always more expensive than just using sub-contracting studios or freelancers).

So, the question you're probably asking is: what exactly is the advantage of a studio? A studio makes organizing staff easier. Right now, a big part of why the industry is in such dire straights is that production assistants (overworked, under-paid gophers) will often have to travel in-person around the country to collect an animator's work and bring it back to the studio for final approval. OLM did streamline the process a little bit during Sun & Moon by investing in digital tools (animation software, which makes simply sending a digital drawing to the main studio instantaneous), but not every animator does that. Furthermore, in terms of the industry, the industry is still mostly analogue. Animator supervisors (the people who correct animation drawings to make them look more on model or just plain cooler or cuter) wind up sitting around with nothing to do for a lot of time because they're waiting to get drawings, either because of the slow transfer of an animator's work to their location or because of nobody having been assigned those shots. This is where the large number of animation supervisors now come into play. Episodes on recent Pokemon episodes have risen from 1-2 per episode in large part because animation supervisors (people like Yamazaki Rei, for example) are receiving the key animation drawings very close to the broadcast date. Normally you'd give your animation supervisor a month to actually check an episode's key animation drawings but now they don't have that time, so they need to split the work with other animation supervisors.

So, remember I mentioned Studio Cockpit (the original one)? Let's go back and at the credits for Episode #3:

Storyboard & Episode Director: Asada Yuuji
Animation Supervisor: Tamagawa Akihiro
Key Animation:
The cool thing about this episode? Everyone working on it (the in-between animators, too) work at Studio Cockpit. They were all in the building together (well, most likely) during the production of the episode's animation. This means that everyone can actually communicate with one another to know what is needed for the episode. Many modern cartoons simply no longer have this luxury. Episodes are a mix of people working from home, OLM, sub-contracting studios or even a sub-contractor somewhere overseas, like TAP (Toei Animation Philipines).

Whoops, accidentally went nuts with this one.
Bookmarking this! Tysm for an actual factual in depth answer instead of the other elitist and dumbasses here trying to talk out of their ass about stuff they know nothing about just to hate. Nice to see some proper perspective coming out lately
It just doesn't sit right with me that yesterday the person who incited this mess referred to her as an "Ash vs Drasna animator" knowing how the community feels about that episode to create the narrative of "crappy animator can't take criticism" and now has shifted the narrative to "poor overworked animators are doing their best" as soon they got the answer they were looking for. Where was this energy to defend the staff before? They knew about the production issues and why they were happening. People have been talking about the industry wide animator shortage for a long time this isn't anything new and shouldn't be surprising. The lengths people go to break the news for clout is getting out of hand when it's getting the staff involved but should be expected from someone who "leaked" Ash vs Cynthia being one episode.
Name MootMonthly by name lol, that person deserves to be called out at this point. He's an absolute toxic clout chaser who's been doing nothing but trying to get attention and cover his tracks by claiming he's trolling, and it sucks the community on Twitter lacks the balls to actually call him out because he can help provide sources at times and they'd never call our their own friends for shitty behaviour unless it's to the extreme
Ffs, the Twitter anipoke community is 2 faced and toxic in its entirely different way.

BobbbidyBob

What sucks is that this no longer feels like art, beloved Pokémon characters are being ruined because of ...I don’t know...greed or something else. In this case there is some truth to the saying “the best things come for free” lol there are some sick anime ONAs on you tube done by animation students or just part time fast food workers (sorry, you know what I mean XD) point is ...I’m just expressing my sadness, because characters we all love are not being treated for what they are. And it must be frustrating for the artists behind this show too =( I just don’t understand who is the winner in this mess

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Honestly I wouldn't mind doing with less episodes if the animators can get a break. I never understood why they do so much episodes in a year in the first place and a movie. It just seems like overkill. Same with the games tbh. I think we are so used to getting games and anime every year,we don't ask ourselves if it couldn't be different.

We are still talking about people here. And we tend to forget that. Maybe we became entitled,because we are so used at getting all this stuff? We took it for granted and we should all reflect. And this counts for every movie, anime,series or game. People work hard on it. We should take our nose out of our assess and stop being so entitled.

And I admit, I have been too entitled lately. I took the anime and games for granted. I am sad that things like this need to happen,but it is a wake-up call to all of us.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
Honestly I wouldn't mind doing with less episodes if the animators can get a break. I never understood why they do so much episodes in a year in the first place and a movie. It just seems like overkill. Same with the games tbh. I think we are so used to getting games and anime every year,we don't ask ourselves if it couldn't be different.

We are still talking about people here. And we tend to forget that. Maybe we became entitled,because we are so used at getting all this stuff? We took it for granted and we should all reflect. And this counts for every movie, anime,series or game. People work hard on it. We should take our nose out of our assess and stop being so entitled.

And I admit, I have been too entitled lately. I took the anime and games for granted. I am sad that things like this need to happen,but it is a wake-up call to all of us.
To be fair to the fans (never thought I’d say this lol), Pokémon fans basically are begging GF to take a break. Ever since GF started to pump out a game per year (sometimes even more), the quality of the games started getting wonky.

XY, SM and SwSh clearly were rushed (which makes me already quite nervous for SV), Pokémon Z was outright scratched during development and USUM was a joke.

And even PLA could’ve done with more polishing, though it certainly is on the level of GF’s former games.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
To be fair to the fans (never thought I’d say this lol), Pokémon fans basically are begging GF to take a break. Ever since GF started to pump out a game per year (sometimes even more), the quality of the games started getting wonky.

XY, SM and SwSh clearly were rushed (which makes me already quite nervous for SV), Pokémon Z was outright scratched during development and USUM was a joke.

And even PLA could’ve done with more polishing, though it certainly is on the level of GF’s former games.
The last real break we got was 2015 between ORAS and SM. Most game developers take YEARS to produce one game. Pokemon does one a two games in a year. That is overkill.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
The last real break we got was 2015 between ORAS and SM. Most game developers take YEARS to produce one game. Pokemon does one a two games in a year. That is overkill.
This wasn’t even a real break. Pokémon XZ and YZ (the third version for Kalos) were planned to release that year and were already in development before being scratched to focus on Gen 7. That’s why stuff like the Zygarde Cores were in Alola, they were already created for Z.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
This wasn’t even a real break. Pokémon XZ and YZ (the third version for Kalos) were planned to release that year and were already in development before being scratched to focus on Gen 7. That’s why stuff like the Zygarde Cores were in Alola, they were already created for Z.
It is not like we wouldn't be able to wait a year for a game. People wait 10 years for GTA 6, so I think one year without a game would be reasonable. But I guess money is more important than people.

Akashin

2021 had no new, GameFreak-developed Pokemon games. There was a year+ gap between the end of the SWSH DLC and LA. There were games in production in the interim, yes, but that was the case even when the games were more spread out. Pokemon game development is, to some degree, in constant motion.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
By no means am I making fun of the animator shortage and struggles OLM are facing, probably worsened by the producers demanding that the whole M8 be animated, but it almost feels like a new narrative is starting to emerge that all these issues have been cause of the M8. Problem is, JN has been pretty abysmal all round, well before the M8 problems, and that feels more like mismanagement from the actual team in charge. The fact that PM was made up halfway through the series, certain cameos like Paul weren't planned all suggest poor planning by the team, unfortunately exacerbated by this whole M8 thing.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
They definitely jumped into JN with little to no plan at all, considering the director change partly through ep 50 and suddenly throwing return after return, how arcs started and ended out of nowhere, or how the super class was glossed over. It all probably stems from the initial push to make the series more episodic, which clearly didn't work out
What isn't funny is how one twitter account has the power to influence the opinion of the entire community and change the narrative as they will. Yesterday Kurakazu "animated Ash vs Drasna" and now she's "one of the animation directors of the acclaimed Lillie return episode".
This reminds me, while Shinohara's episodes haven't been too good lately considering the schedules/resources, and he gets a lot of flack, he's not even a bad animator, and he's been in charge of amazing looking episodes like Serena's last performance.

UnovaMaster

When we go through all of October without an SV anime announcement maybe people will finally listen to what keeps being shouted in their ear

Akashin

No it doesn't. It never said anything about being in universe. Some people say it's most likely in universe but that's it

Considering this is near Ash vs Leon, I'm pretty sure this is SV anime announcement
If by 'some people' you mean 'the summary of the episode itself' then yes, 'some people' have said it's in-universe.

It has been explicitly stated that the episode is being formatted as a news broadcast, capped off by a breaking news announcement as part of that in-universe news broadcast. It's a bit meta, but it's not confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.