• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Containment thread for LEAKS of upcoming episodes (READ THE FIRST POST, IMPORTANT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
If any one person should be there at the end, it should be Misty. She’s pretty much the only one who could be there solo and not invoke ire for being there in lieu of Goh peaceing out.

Plus I don’t think it’s coincidence that Sonia’s come back after being absent for a while too, when Magnolia would have been enough to forward the Eternatus plot bit. By having Sonia there, she and Misty can further reinforce the parallels Ash and Leon have.

There’s little time before the battle to really carry a setup through though, so if Misty’a here, she’d need to be here for something else besides and after this battle.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
No that’s Serena
tbh it's hard for anyone to beat Dawn's literal cheerleading outfit lol, so you can't argue that she's been the most outwardly supportive of Ash's traveling companions.
If any one person should be there at the end, it should be Misty. She’s pretty much the only one who could be there solo and not invoke ire for being there in lieu of Goh peaceing out.
Eh, I disagree. If you want a non-controversial pick for the one character who can be there solo and get the least amount of people angry, it'd have to be Brock.

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Lets go crazy and let it be all companions. Or Delia and Oak. But there is no way that Hop will be there alone. He is obviously cheering for Leon and unless you count Team Rocket, there is basically no one for Ash. I don't mind Brock and Misty,but it would be random as hell since none of them knowing Ash in the PWC (as far as we know). And also it would be a real dream come true to see all characters interacting (it is actually my only hope for the finals)

Sham

The Guardian of War
Lets go crazy and let it be all companions. Or Delia and Oak. But there is no way that Hop will be there alone. He is obviously cheering for Leon and unless you count Team Rocket, there is basically no one for Ash. I don't mind Brock and Misty,but it would be random as hell since none of them knowing Ash in the PWC (as far as we know). And also it would be a real dream come true to see all characters interacting (it is actually my only hope for the finals)
Whoever it is, they really should have done this more earlier because a random person just so happening to sit next to Hop and then introduce themselves seems awkward as heck. Hop worked because they bothered introducing them before it started/earlier on. Wished they’d set this up earlier.

I could also get with Serena since she only had a single episode and the last thing Ash told her was he was participating in the PWC. A curve ball would be Lillie being there since she isn’t in that pic and said she streams all of his videos anyway

It would be nice if May came back as a super secret surprise but unfortunately we all know the situation with that and it even seems like Max”a VA retired as well.

Last edited:

Eevee903

You are awesome!
Whoever it is, they really should have done this more earlier because a random person just so happening to sit next to Hop and then introduce themselves seems awkward as heck. Hop worked because they bothered introducing them before it started/earlier on

Wished they’d set this up earlier. I could also get with Serena since she only had a single episode and the last thing Ash told her was he was participating in the PWC. A curve ball would be Lillie being there since she isn’t in that pic and said she streams all of his videos anyway

It would be nice if May came back as a super secret surprise but unfortunately we all know the situation with that and it even seems like Max”a VA retired as well.
Maybe we get silent cameos. That would be at least something, the most realistic outcome.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
It's a borderline miracle that Pokémon's been managing as a weekly show for so long. Animation is incredibly hard work, and the people in the industry work near-slave hours to get the show on air. Even with its generally low production value and heavy use of stock footage, it's not easy to get an episode ready every week. Plus, it seems like a ton of staff has left OLM and they don't have enough freelancers either, putting even more pressure on the already overworked animators. This is on top of OLM taking on a ton of projects recently.

The fact that Tomioka asked for all of the M8 battles to be animated on top of their already horrendous workload seems to have compounded a terrible situation.

Tomioka Atsuhiro did not ask for the Masters Tournament to be animated in full. When Tomioka originally wrote the story outline all of the battles other than Satoshi's were depicted as still frames but it was the idea of a producer to expand those into full episodes of their own. The decision was basically thrust onto the staff without the ability to execute it to their preferred level.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Tomioka Atsuhiro did not ask for the Masters Tournament to be animated in full. When Tomioka originally wrote the story outline all of the battles other than Satoshi's were depicted as still frames but it was the idea of a producer to expand those into full episodes of their own. The decision was basically thrust onto the staff without the ability to execute it to their preferred level.
I stand corrected, it was an out-of-touch producer who ignored the human element and thrust unreasonable expectations on the production staff.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Maybe we get silent cameos. That would be at least something, the most realistic outcome.
Pretty much. Taiwan isn’t the best when it comes to “credible” leakers but that is a good point.

Who is replacing Goh? In a best case scenario it would be nice if all of them are there but let’s face it they’re not animating every character from OS-SM. It’s probably Delia just like where they let her come a bit later during SM or Joanna coming when Dawn vs Zoey was going on in the finals.

Would that also imply that they may have shitcanned parts of Tomioka's original script to accomodate all the extra stuff? The M8 intro in particular stands out because how suddenly it cuts away from segment to segment, as if the intro and interactions were outright cropped from the script.
Pretty much. Dare I say that the only battles of the first round (and counting Diantha vs Leon) that looked okay for the most part is the third and fourth battles. And I’m assuming that’s because they involved the more “important characters” (using this loosley) in those fights. It could also play a part why Cynthia and Ash didn’t have the BEST battle cartography because time was used towards battles that shouldn’t have happened

I think the biggest examples that the battles were written last was the fact that they immediately made Leon beat Diantha but they gave the episode half a filler to save animation, the fact that Iris and Ash came out of the elevator and they immediately to introductions is a sign as well.

According to his interview they returned the script back and said “having them be still shots is just wasting drawnings because it’s filled with Champions”. When they’re probably the were ones who demanded all the Champions being there

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
No that’s Serena
Serena’s level of support was “I like, totally love Ash, watch me get tense in every battle as if it affects me directly”. Dawn had a literal cheerleading outfit and constantly saw the best in Ash, always believing in him during his most difficult battles and supporting him massively as a friend with no greater intentions..
And JN art style too
SERENA OR RIOT VS LEON
JN style really isn’t bad at all. Had they been given more time to refine each episode, it could’ve been the most beautiful art style yet, surpassing and being the natural successor to XY’s style. The only reason it’s lacking in places is due to their inability to put the love into it, through no fault of their own..

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
Would that also imply that they may have shitcanned parts of Tomioka's original script to accomodate all the extra stuff? The M8 intro in particular stands out because how suddenly it cuts away from segment to segment, as if the intro and interactions were outright cropped from the script.

There's really no telling. It seems like the decisions were made just before it came time to start writing the scripts, as opposed to being in the original series composition. Kind of a "hey, this is the series composition I've written based on what everyone has talked about in meetings!" and then some producer saying "Oh wow, you should give the champions actual battle episodes instead of just still frames!" and then Tomioka actually setting out and writing those scripts based on the producer's will.

Tomioka Atsuhiro explains the role of series composition in this interview for the 2020 television series Digimon Adventure:

-Tomioka-san, what does your role as series composer entail?
Tomioka: I never know how to give a short answer to that question (laughs). Since this role is not in the system of TV dramas, it's hard for some people to understand. The series composer is responsible for listening to everyone's ideas while putting the flow of the entire series' story and character actions into words. Of course, I also take an active part in writing scenarios and fleshing out the story. Since "Digimon Adventure:" is a long series that will be on the air for a year, the writing is divided up between five people. When each screenplay writer brings forth their ideas of what they think "this character would do in this scene," my stance is to not reject any of their ideas. Rather, I make sure to treat them with delicacy since the ideas actually grow from further input by the director and producer. My job is to aggressively expand the story into something fun (laughs).
Yabuno: Would overlooking the entire story be the job of the series compositor?
Tomioka: Yes, however, when you're making "drawings" out of the scenario, you start needing the director to step in and make their judgment. The scenario is made by integrating the director's image on various things such as the storyboard, the character direction, and the protagonist's emotional development. Therefore, the scenario is a bundle of ideas from many people, from the director to the producer to the screenplay writer of that episode. The job of the series compositor is to keep everyone motivated and draw out their ideas, so at the end of a meeting, I'm already exhausted.
Yabuno: I see, it takes up a lot of energy.

-Yabuno-san, what are your thoughts after watching "Digimon Adventure:"?
Yabuno: There were many homages scattered throughout, and I could tell that Tomioka-san researched a lot as I watched it. I was curious how you gathered your information and materials.
Tomioka: Well, the producer and director are very familiar with the old series (laughs). My stance on it is purely making "a new Digimon Adventure." While the characters are the same, the setting takes place in the current world where people are familiar with the internet, and I thought about what kind of threatening incidents would take place in current times, factors that wouldn't have occurred in the old series. I was also given the order to make the battle aspects stronger. That's why, rather than reading the materials and taking in info, I concentrated more on respecting the info of the old series while making something new.
Yabuno: I often see your name in other anime works, so in the past, I thought that it was a pen name that was used by various people (laughs).
Tomioka: No no, there's only one of me (laughs). Production of a series is possible only with the help of the producers, director, and other screenplay writers. A script is just a bunch of words, so if I want to write about a scene that's on a big scale, I can easily go to the extreme and write "An army swarm came flying in." That would frustrate the person who has to draw that, so the director steps in to make adjustments. That's why I think comic artists are amazing! You draw the art and make it look cool all on your own.
Yabuno: I wish Izawa-san was here to hear that. When I had my first meeting with him on V-Tamer 01, he wanted "Several thousand Digimon lined up" at the opening scene of the research lab. The first words out of my mouth upon hearing that were "And who's going to draw those thousands of Digimon?" (laughs)
Tomioka: That's a common occurrence in scripts. Scenario writers love large armies appearing on the horizon like the kind seen in Hollywood movies. We're just dying to do something like that (laughs).

Tomioka: That kind of stuff is exciting, right? (laughs) In scenario action scenes, if the writer has a suggestion about what moves to make, it's often broadened in the episode direction of the storyboard. That goes for the drama portion as well. From the POV of the scenario, when I see that what I'd imagined has been broadened into something cool on video, I do think "They got me good! It's so cool!"

Eevee903

You are awesome!
The truth is that we probably will never know what really happened. We can guess and name a few possible causes. What we do know is that things aren't looking good in general. Though Pokemon anime is actually very flexible.

The only times I know that the anime had to take a break or change a storyline is: the Porygon accident, the earthquake during BW and Covid in 2020.

We got some insights due that brave statement from that animator on Twitter. I also don’t think they normally talk about this. It must mean the stress and exhaustion was on very high levels.

What is also obvious, whatever the cause of the problems is, it won't suddenly disappear with a new series, if we get a new series that is. Though that is something for the Scarlet/Violet prediction thread.

The only thing we can do is spread awareness and show some more understanding and respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.