• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contests in Jouto

Heracross

Custom User Title
No, this is not a topic about Haruka's adventure, but the original Jouto saga from back in the day. The infamously repetitive, filler stuffed era which prompted Kasumi and Takeshi's descent into the mundane and caused many fans to tune out.

But what if they had introduced contests in the second generation? For every contest-related episode there would have been that many less fillers, and even the boring stretches would have been more tolerable with something besides Satoshi's badge quest to keep us watching. But with the bad writing in general back then, would it have really made that big of a difference? I know some people don't like contests very much, would that have made you dislike Jouto even more? Would Kasumi's character have been salvaged if she had taken up contests, would she still have been hopeless no matter what, or would Marina have taken her place instead? And once the third generation came around, would she have been worth taking to the next region or would Haruka have replaced her anyway for the sake of advertising? And what about the fourth gen, if contests had been around for that long would you be getting tired of them by now?

Discuss.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The only way I could see that happening back then is if Marina was created at the start of G/S.

I can't see Misty being a coordinator at all no matter how hard I try.

Marina on the other hand fits it well and she could have technically been the first female coordinator of the series if she was around back then.

pokefiend_13

Harley-san Fanboy
It may have helped alittle... but the writers would also have to introduce great rivals like Soladad, Harley, Zoey, Kenny, and Drew back then as well.

With that said, there are many reasons why BF, AG, and DP are better than JJ. The introduction of PKMN contests only played a fair part.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
I don't see Misty being a Coordinator, let alone a good Coordinator.

Despite being a mediocre battler at best until she got some Pokemon that could withstand an attack or two in the middle of Johto (Poli and friends + Corsola) she still seemed to have her heart more into battling then anything else that she tried. Misty tried a ton of things over her run from being a nurse, to racing, to other miscellaneous contests that really didn't strike anyone's fancy. Not to the point that they would say " She should do this instead of filling up background space ". I kind of liked how they handled her ultimately, sending her back to the gym and all, since she seems to be adept at it despite her faults.

Misty should've been replaced a season sooner (between Orange Islands and Johto) so she wouldn't have to suffer that sharp decline in her character like that. Instead they wanted to do one last hurrah for the original trio which only went to show how much Brock and Misty's characters paled over time and how weak they were overall when better written characters came along.

Marina is constantly suggested as a replacement for Misty but Marina wasn't around back then. She came along way too late to make much of a difference unless they replaced Misty mid-season ... like during the Whirl Cup.

Thriller

Its almost time
The only way I could see that happening back then is if Marina was created at the start of G/S.

As if Contest stars MUST be the female Hero :rolleyes:

But oooooh yeah, as much as I loved the 2nd Gen, the Johto anime sucked epically. Having a contest arc in it would have made it so much better.

Now that we're talking about it, I vaguely remember I dream I might have once had regarding Johto contests... Wierd

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
Perhaps it might have helped a little, but I would suspect that the contests would be more like that breeder contest in that one episode (the title is not on me right now). Ultimately, if there were contests like those during those time, it would have given the Johto saga a lot more excitement than what actually happened.

neo_senku

As if Contest stars MUST be the female Hero :rolleyes:

But oooooh yeah, as much as I loved the 2nd Gen, the Johto anime sucked epically. Having a contest arc in it would have made it so much better.

Now that we're talking about it, I vaguely remember I dream I might have once had regarding Johto contests... Wierd

Unless ash gets replaced, where would you put a female main cast member now other than that spot. It wouldn't serve any real point to have both ash and said female hero to do the gym challenge. An all male cast is frankly out of the question.

As far a misty being a co-ordinator that wouldn't have worked out well at all really cause you'd have with her all water type appeals and that would be kind of boring, besides shes more of a power battler than a style battler.

PDL

disenchanted
Misty's never been much for showy moves and such, she all for battling.

But I wonder how her sisters would fair in contests though.

Profesco

gone gently
The only reason I would retroactively have hoped for Johto contests is to quench the thirst of fans who want more tangible competitions in the anime.

sneschurch

No. However I believe that if they had possibly brought in Jimmy or a different character as a more reoccuring and sutible rival (since Gary's appearances we're) dwendling, I believe that may have helped the show from it's sharp decline.

Marina wasn't created back then but there is no problem with fitting in a different character into Misty's spot just to take a chance. It may have failed with Tracy but I believe that's because Brock was just a more likeable character back then.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
But I wonder how her sisters would fair in contests though.

Not well I imagine. They don't seem to be interested in Pokemon at all but more into the type of things that regular girls would do. None of them were seen with Pokemon outside of tending the gym and water performances. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Misty refused to go back ...

Hooray4Homestar

Don't die, ketchup!
I think Misty is more of a tomboy (with some girly qualities). I don't think she would have entered contests. She likes battles.

I don't like contests, so I probably would have stopped watching Pokemon if they were around. But, I think the real reason I stopped watching the show when the Advanced generation came around was because Misty left. But, I think contests also helped drawing my attention away from the newer episodes of the anime. Anydangway, I wouldn't have liked it if there were Contests in Johto.