• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Contestshipping General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
let's not let this one die, please? :)
Anywhoo! Who can forget one of Pokemon's most canon pairings? ;) That's right, I'm talking about Contestshipping! Anyways, this thread was made to discuss the pairing between May and Drew (Haruka and Shuu, respectively) from AG.

Rules:
Follow all SPPf rules/Shipping forum rules.
Don't bash other characters or pairings.
Source all fanworks.
Have fun! :)

Anywhoo, I know this is a short first post, and I'll likely add onto it later.

First topic!
When did you start shipping May and Drew?

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I first started shipping them when I was reading a Contrstshipping on Fanfiction a couple months ago. I really enjoyed so then I went on to rewatch some old AG episodes and I was set.

I started rewatching the AG series and holy crap, I forgot how cute they were. I miss them so much; it's ridiculous.
I caught on to AG a little later after Drew had debuted, but I caught up with the episodes and I started shipping them as soon as I saw them first interact. I was just thinking to myself "yup, this is gonna get interesting~" and gosh, how right I was.

I'm glad to see a thread for this shipping! This shipping I supported when I saw AG for the first time, as a kid, before even knowing what shipping was. It was the third shipping I started supporting, after PokeShipping and Pikachu x Togepi/Togetic. I'd say ContestShipping is one of the reasons why I think the contests were one of the best things about the AG saga, my second favourite saga after OS.

Anyways, I came up with two unconventional questions, two questions that aren't asked in most shipping topics.

Have you ever included ContestShipping in a drawing or fanfic that was originally made for another pairing?

In my PokeShipping journey fic that plays six years after the anime, there's a moment when all former main characters reunite. There, May took Drew with her, they were boyfriend and girlfriend at that moment (and still are at the end of the story, of course).

If May and Drew would be a married couple, and both would be in the Grand Festival final together, do you think they want to win, or would they want to lose so their partner could win, and feel bad about the idea of beating their partner?

I don't know what to say here, I came up with this idea because of something I felt about two weeks ago. Back then, my girlfriend wanted a Pokemon battle against me in XY. I felt uncomfortable, the idea of beating my own girlfriend felt uncomfortable, even though she wouldn't have a problem with it. I was extremely happy I lost that battle, I would've felt awkward if I would've won. This inspired me for this question.

I think May and Drew would have mixed feelings: they would really want to win, but if one of them would make the other sad, they might feel awkward about it.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Yay a thread for one of my favourite shippings: Contestshipping!
I first started shipping ContestShipping after I watched the episode Win, Lose, or Drew and he gave her the first rose. Gosh, I loved it when he did that.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yay a thread for one of my favourite shippings: Contestshipping!
I first started shipping ContestShipping after I watched the episode Win, Lose, or Drew and he gave her the first rose. Gosh, I loved it when he did that.

Here's a fun fact, it's been 10 years in real life since that episode aired in Japan. It aired way back in 2003. Now that will make you feel old.

As for this thread in general, it says a lot that the ship still has fans even though it's been like 7 years since AG ended. The series is so old now many people would have forgotten it. I like that May had one of the shows most popular shipping.

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Have you ever included ContestShipping in a drawing or fanfic that was originally made for another pairing?
I have in my fanfic where all of the charcters reunite (just like yours lol) it was orginally going to be pure pearlshipping but I deciced to feature everyship with Contestshipping being one of the most prominent ones.
If May and Drew would be a married couple, and both would be in the Grand Festival final together, do you think they want to win, or would they want to lose so their partner could win, and feel bad about the idea of beating their partner?
Well in my fanfic, something like this actually does happen. Drew tries to let May win but she ends up telling him that if he really loved her he'd do his best to help her test her skills as a Coordinator and so he does. that's how I think it would happen, anyway.

Sephora

yes I'm back
Here's a fun fact, it's been 10 years in real life since that episode aired in Japan. It aired way back in 2003. Now that will make you feel old.

Wow, ten years? But I'm not that old though haha, I didn't watch the episodes when they aired in Japan, rather later on in English on TV (I was young then).

This shipping is so strong that it still has supporters even after all these years. Incredible.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod

As for this thread in general, it says a lot that the ship still has fans even though it's been like 7 years since AG ended. The series is so old now many people would have forgotten it. I like that May had one of the shows most popular shipping.

I still can't believe it's been that long. Don't remind me. :p However, Contestshipping is definitely still alive among shippers. The discussions are lively over on Tumblr, and it's really amazing to see all the different interpretations of their characters/relationship. I'm hoping we'll see them again, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. :( imissthemsomuchitmakesmychesthurtlol
I'll never forget reading the debates between you and Jo-Jo.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Oh yes a Contestshipping thread. Count me in, I love me some Contestshipping.

This shipping is so strong that it still has supporters even after all these years. Incredible.

I have to agree, it's seriously amazing how much of a fanbase this shipping still maintains even after all this time. Contestshippers are some of the most dedicated shippers there are, along with Pokeshippers.

It's crazy.

It was around the time that Win, Lose, or Drew aired on TV over here in the states. I remember watching the scene where he gave her a rose for the first time and shouting, "he so likes her" at the top of my lungs. Luckily no one was home at the time haha.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Wow, ten years? But I'm not that old though haha, I didn't watch the episodes when they aired in Japan, rather later on in English on TV (I was young then).

Yeah, the episode aired in the U.S. in 2004. Back then the dub was a full year behind the Japanese version. That's how everyone online at the time already knew what was going to happen as AG progressed because the U.S. was so far behind Japan at the time.

I remember lurking the original Contestshipping thread here back in 2004. I rarely posted in it but it was fun reading a thread back when the series was airing and people didn't know what was going to happen.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah, the episode aired in the U.S. in 2004. Back then the dub was a full year behind the Japanese version. That's how everyone online at the time already knew what was going to happen as AG progressed because the U.S. was so far behind Japan at the time.

I remember lurking the original Contestshipping thread here back in 2004. I rarely posted in it but it was fun reading a thread back when the series was airing and people didn't know what was going to happen.

I'll never forget when the Wakana episode aired. Hoolllllly mollllllly. Also when the episodes before it aired when May got the rose and the letter.
Gosh these two hurt me so much UGH.

Moonlight Starlight

I still can't believe it's been that long. Don't remind me. :p However, Contestshipping is definitely still alive among shippers. The discussions are lively over on Tumblr, and it's really amazing to see all the different interpretations of their characters/relationship. I'm hoping we'll see them again, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. :( imissthemsomuchitmakesmychesthurtlol
I'll never forget reading the debates between you and Jo-Jo.

I 'm a Contestshipping all the way.I'm not a Advanceshipper.I don't see May falling for Ash till the end.I only see her falling for Drew only.I only do see her blushing on Drew in few episode where it happens.It shows she has deep feelings for him.

Iris meme

I 'm a Contestshipping all the way.I'm not a Advanceshipper.I don't see May falling for Ash till the end.I only see her falling for Drew only.I only do see her blushing on Drew in few episode where it happens.It shows she has deep feelings for him.

I so agree with you 1000% I just really love how drew give may a rose and say its for beautifly when everyone know it for May I find an video of most if not all moment for them on YouTube -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ8Ex9pdJBI

I bet after everyone watch this video they will become an contestshipper :p

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Aaah, my favorite couple!
This pair is so special... There were so many hints concerning those two that I can't believe their love declaration didn't happen on screen... So disapointing.
I always hated the AdvanceShipping because it's so... I don't know. Ash wasn't very interesting back then while Drew showed so many different kinds of emotions and attitudes, making him a much more intriguing character to observe when he was around May. More appealing, mysterious, caring, what could we wish for, now that we have Drew ?

I wasn't watching the anime when Advance Generation arrived, so... Let's say when I decided to watch random episodes and found out that they were rivals, I knew they were meant for each other. But if I remember correctly, the episode Spontaneous Combusken! was the one who really started to make me believe in that couple. This episode was filled with so much treasures, eheh.

Last edited:

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Let's be careful about talking about other characters, okay? Let's not try to bash them. I know you weren't, but sometimes it can easily happen. Just a head's up. :)

Spontaneous Combusken was, like, the holy grail of Contestshipping to so many people. That, and Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut.
Anyways, here's another topic.
What episode, in your opinion, is the most pivotal to Contestshipping and its development?
I feel like that Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut was the most important episode because it showed us SO MUCH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND RELATIONSHIP DEVELOPMENT. May and Drew are finally friends, and they just work so well together. Beautifly and Masquerain being representative of their trainers, yeah? ;) This whole episode was just my favorite, and oh god when he watches her and smiles as she plays with the Wynaut. I HATE THIS SHOW WHY DOES IT MAKE ME FEEL SO EMOTIONAL UGH I MISS THEM SO MUCH BRING BACK OUR HOENNBABIES.

Last edited:

ChloboShoka

Writer
Hoenn was my favourite era. I think Contestshipping is just fabulous. It's great that there's still lots of fans for it. It's a super inspirational pairing that's given so much to it's fans. I think contestshipping has the most hints if I'm being honest. At least the hints stand out the most. I love Drew and May and I think they deserve much more love than they get. I like the way their characters were developed and how they bring a feisty side to each other. I feel bad that I don't remember much about Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut. ;_; (is that the one where May saves Drew from drowning?)

I need somewhere to express my HaruShuu joy!

Last edited:

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
Hoenn was my favourite era. I think Contestshipping is just fabulous. It's great that there's still lots of fans for it. It's a super inspirational pairing that's given so much to it's fans. I think contestshipping has the most hints if I'm being honest. At least the hints stand out the most. I love Drew and May and I think they deserve much more love than they get. I like the way their characters were developed and how they bring a feisty side to each other. I feel bad that I don't remember much about Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut. ;_; (is that the one where May saves Drew from drowning?)

I need somewhere to express my HaruShuu joy!

That's what we're here for! <3
And yep, that's the Wynaut episode. I really do appreciate how the writers wrote their relationship. It wasn't your typical rivalry, and as someone on Tumblr said it was a"reverse kouhai-senpai" relationship. I'm so glad that someone finally put a label on it, lol. May was trying to prove herself to Drew, but in reality he was trying to get her to notice him the whole freaking time.

skybattler262

Can I join?
For me, Contestshipping is the ONLY shipping in Pokemon where courtship is evident (HELLO!?!?!?!? ROSES?) So I also support this shipping...
... alongside my sister who is once addicted to this one (until she somehow left the fandom in accordance to other animes... she returning thanks to Clemont's voice actor thanks to the crazy titan slayer on another anime)

CoordinatingMaster

Contestshipper <3

It was during the DP era and I was watching videos of Ash and girls on YouTube. I came across a video that included May and Drew and I had never seen Drew before so I was interested in who he was and what his relationship was to May. It took me while to find out who he was and to watch episodes of them together. They were so adorable! I loved their whole relationship with all of the teasing and the roses and them helping each other grow! Contestshipping was my first ship and that led me to discovering other fandoms and ships so it's really special to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.